B1 — 8. Plots and Masking
220 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena absently pulled up the supply records, weather report, terrain map, and supply transactions sheet.  Her eyes scanned the pages as her mind worked on a solution. Stopping, her mouth turned into a smirk as a plan started to formulate.  First, I need to solve my financial issues.  I’ve never had to worry about finances at the Estate, but that’ll be a real concern now.  Even if I escape from WITCH, I need a way to support myself.

Ironic, WITCH, Tech City, and the Houses use the same currency of Credits for their transactions.  I’d expect the Houses and Tech to have a different system, but it seems like they do business behind the scenes.  Tech and the Houses with the Deities, they are the only surviving nations on Elestveeve and they contend with one another, yet still do business, curious.

Helena had to think hard on a practical item and how much it cost.  She’d never had to buy anything before.  I believe hearing one of the maids saying a good loaf of bread costs five credits.

She did a quick test to determine the main administrative server’s security, frowning at the results.  The encryption is way more complex than the Mail Server, but I’ve seen something similar to this back at the Estate.  It would take me hours of testing and preparing to gain access … I don’t have that kind of time. Why were some of the Email Server’s zero-day exploits unplugged, but from what I can see, the Main Server is fairly tight?  Was it planted that way by Ventre?

She searched the network for clues, feeling a little disconcerted with the thought.  I see … this is an old base that’s currently under renovations and expansion.  There’s some kind of event that’s going to be taking place soon and they’re channeling a lot of funds and manpower into updating this facility.  The Email Server hasn’t been updated yet … quite a vulnerability. The Admins are probably very busy trying to get everything up to date, which is probably why I haven’t been noticed yet.

It looks like they’re trying to simulate some of Tech’s network, but vary it with House security protocols to not become too vulnerable to Tech themselves.  They really must be incompetent or untrained at their jobs, their network, it's a mess. How has Tech not noticed how vulnerable their primary network is through this facility?

She studied the sealed server cases around her.  I can’t manipulate the server circuitry like this since I can’t get to the traces.  Whatever kind of metal that’s sealing the case isn’t magnetic. I could try and manipulate the keyboard’s circuitry to input information faster, but it’s so much slower than interacting with the CPU directly. I need to find one of the holographic wrist devices with network access.

Helena searched the woman but didn’t find anything.  She continued to look around the computer and found what she assumed was the woman's bag.  Digging around it, she found the device in a side pocket. Taking it, she placed it on the desk.  I should keep Ventre’s device.  He most likely intended to use its information to manipulate me.  It would narrow down my choices, giving me false information, and lead me to a compromising area of the base.  It wasn’t a horrible plan if I were five. Anyone would be suspicious of a device being able to locate exact positioning without network access or proper equipment.

Helena hoisted herself back on the chair and probed the device’s many processing units.  It had all the components of the last device, but with extra features. It also had quite a bit more processing speed and memory.  This device must be pirated from Tech, the technology is far superior to the programming.  It’s much faster than my computer at the Estate.

Bringing the OS online, Helena saw a logo pop-up.  It read, HCID.  The device must be called HCID, what does it stand for?  Pushing the question to the back of her mind, she refocusedquickly breaking past the User Lock and into the OS main interface.  I need to make a green networking probe so I can find all the servers and their addresses without much risk of detection.  If the Admins don’t question the pings, I’ll have a list of every node attached to their network. It should also tell me how their local network is connected to the continental network.

It took her a minute to perfect the coding to even catch ping disabled nodes by tricking the feedback system before activating it.  A string of data started to appear on the holographic screen. Helena smiled. She could connect to not only Genesis’s network spectrum, but also Tech’s.   I could contact Drake, but outgoing network traffic of that degree would most definitely be traced.  A message sent to a Great House’s network would be instantly flagged and I want to confront him in person.

She created a network, processing, and visual mask.  She’d use the mask on the Administrative Server, but first, she needed authorization.  Finding the main server’s address in the information dump, Helena requested a remote connection with the Tech Support’s IP listed.  The network monitors asked for a username and password as verification. Imputed the woman's HCID information, she sent him the data.  

Helena hummed as the server opened to her. Running her program with administrator access, it slipped right by the server security protocols, creating her personal backdoor.  I now have constant, masked, remote access to the Main Server’s administrative user account.  If they ever figure out there’s a backdoor, they’ll probably do a scan of their system.  However, if they think I only gained access once through this woman’s identification, they might not do a thorough scan.  Still, I need the redundancy.

She hid multiple copies of the virus into the archive and backup drives then masked and locked them to a new administrative account.  This will provide temporary security.  I don’t want to associate the virus with the back door, just in case.

Next, she copied all the files they had on her to the HCID’s static memory.  I’ll look at the information when I get a chance.  Reading the current time through the device’s instruments, she frowned.  Six twenty-eight.  I’ve spent too much time in this room.  If the woman woke up this quickly, Ventre should be conscious.  Jake might have realized his error by now and reported my position.  If I’m lucky, he’ll be too scared of the consequences to talk.  Yet, I still haven’t finished setting up this ridiculous plan, I need to act quicker.

Helena quickly tracked all WITCH’s financial records.  Shockingly, they were spaced across accounts in Tech City, New Genesis, and even Augnecia.  WITCH certainly is cautious with their finances, to even have funds stationed in Tech.

Helena’s eyes widened as she combined the lump sum of WITCH’s holdings.  They have credits in the septillions.  How much are their liquid assets worth, if they have this much in raw credit?  It’s even more than the Vandred raw credit amount.  Taking it all will instantly point a finger at me.  If I’m caught, my life would be over, no matter Drake’s negotiations and it wouldn’t be painless.

She took a second to think.  I have to confirm my plan will work.  Helena started a search on the global net, inquiring about the different banking record policies.  It seems even the most secure banking records in Tech will only keep an account of fifty thousand transitions before wiping previous data.

Helena quickly constructed a program to create online banking accounts on all of WITCH's banks and transfer money in lump sums over the course of however long the accounts were active.  She wrote the program to transfer all of the money into three separate key accounts in case they searched for the lump sums they had lost and also separated it into tens of thousands of dummy accounts, flipping money around constantly.  She was able to accomplish this within a minute using her ability to speed the programming along.

I should situate the primary banks in Tech.  They wouldn’t cave into WITCH’s demands and it would increase productivity in Tech overall.  Tech should thank me, even if they do hate espers. I don’t know how long it will take WITCH to discover my masking virus, but I should give it a bit more security.

Even if they discovered it in a few hours, she’d have enough to get back to the Estate.  Creating a second Administrative account, she placed this one in charge of masking her transfer program.  To finalize the initiation, she wrote a self-termination protocol if unmasked. This way, they can’t find the algorithmic formula for the account creation or the three main transfer accounts.  Not only will the protocol activate a termination setting, but also zero out the drives in hidden threads, now for my escape plan.

Helena pulled up the terrain graphs and supply listings.  She found what she was looking for in seconds. An automated GPS guided Snow Treader.  I can program pre-determined paths for them to travel.  It will give me some distance and a distraction.

Helena started to download the remote death switch, GPS tracking, and recall protocols on the networked HCID, she’d go over them when waiting.  Disabling the HCID guidance satellite’s termination commands and feed cutoff switches, she placed them under the lock of a new administrative account.  Studying her work, she found it acceptable. Now they can’t lock out the information that guides the vehicles.

She noticed WITCH had an air assault crafts called, Hoverfly.  However, they couldn't handle the thermal conditions and there was a large scale blizzard cataloged to hit at seven fifteen.  Helena checked the time and found it six forty-one. I’ll have to take a Treader instead of a Hoverfly.  All the supplies I’ll need should be in the Supply and Treader Bay; the closest Bays are almost right next to each other.

She sat in the chair for a moment, going over her plans.  It seems like the best course of action.  I’ll improvise along the way. Pulling out the non-networked HCID, she searched around for some way to connect the devices in a wired environment.  She only found a spindle with a tether wrapped around it with two square ends on each side.

The tether snapped to the black metallic surfaces of both HCID’s.  As they did, she noticed the time shown across the three-dimensional display.  Six forty-six, I’ve really spent too much time in this room.

Searching through its drives, she found its attachment center.  These are interesting devices.  They popped up on each other's network dictionaries.  She moved the supply listings, her personal data, the Snow Treader protocols, more detailed terrain map, and base designs onto the non-networked HCID’s static memory.

A large red message box suddenly popped up on the networked HCID’s display.  It showed a code number and under it said, “Target Lost.” That’s my cue to leave.  Ventre must be on the move now.

Disconnecting the two devices, Helena started the process of zeroing out the portion of memory she’d used and the logs in the backup on the Desktop, HCID, and administrative logs.  Putting it back into sleep, she put it back into the woman’s bag. Her eyes snapped to the security monitor as she watched several employees running down the halls. They’re going in the direction of the clinic room.  Ventre must be just getting out; the restraints lasted longer than I thought.  So they’ve only just realized something’s wrong.

She brought up the base’s floor designs and filtered to the ventilation system.  There’s a shaft that leads directly to the Supply Bay, but its six meters above me.  I know my static field isn’t strong enough to pull me up, I probably could barely hold onto the side of an iron pole using magnetism.

Further examination of the map gave her an alternative, a vent hidden behind a portable desk in the corner.  She frowned as she apprised the unmoving woman. I need this to look like an accident.  I could use her as a distraction for Ventre and his team, but first I need to open my escape route.

Despite it being a portable desk, Helena had difficulty moving it enough to squeeze behind with her limited strength.  Once there, she began to alternate the screws with her magnetic field. After finishing, she crawled out from behind the desk.  Spacing the woman’s limbs out accordingly, she inspected her work. It’ll have to do.

Packing the tether into the brown bag, she moved behind the computer equipment and sent an electrical surge through the components.  The screen sent a spray of multicolored sparks and glass flying outward. Hopefully, they’ll think the woman was knocked out by the equipment.  The observation room should have noticed the surge and send people. They’ll also soon find out that it wasn’t from their generators once they investigate.  However, a team would come to pick up the woman and clean what little evidence I left. It would also keep Ventre guessing where I am and make me seem more like a ghost.

Crawling behind the desk, she first pushed the bag in and squeezed into the tight space, pulling the desk back into place.  Repositioning the vent behind her, she carefully began to magnetically, re-screw its supports. Helena heard the door open and people rush in.  Voices called out in North Irean, but she continued to soundlessly screw in the vent supports, not paying them any mind.

As she finished, she sensed the people moving the woman out of the room, her reception starting to break.  Looking around the small space, she found the maintenance support ladder enclaves meant for climbing support.  Helena began to climb up the vent as quietly as she could, taking special care to keep her bracelet from scratching across the metallic surface.

Reaching an opening, she crawled through and braced her back against the vent wall.  Removing her bracelet, she felt the same tingling sensation as the weight left her wrist; she examined the paler skin the dim light.  I’ve really never taken these pieces off for long periods of time.

Pulling back her left pants leg, she strapped the bracelet around her ankle and the sensation left.  She then covered it up with her pants, it was a tight fit, but she managed. Sorting through the bag, she found the HCID.  Removed it and bringing it out of sleep; she watched the vent light up with the holographic images as she sorted through the building's schematics.  This ventilation shaft won’t lead straight to the supply bay, but it does exit into a room across the hall from it.  In the room I’ll exit, there will be another shaft that’ll connect with the Supply Bay. It’s a slight detour, but it might throw Ventre off even more.

She swallowed as she felt a warm breeze slowly pick up through the vents.  How hot will it actually get?  I didn’t take that into consideration.  Sighing, she shook her head slightly, feeling the weight of the bun shift.  It doesn’t matter, it’s my only path and it’ll take a while with all the detours with the fans in the way.

Memorizing the routes, she replaced the HCID in her bag and followed her chosen path, retracting her reception completely.  She quietly shuffled through the vents, hearing talk from the small air slits. Most of the speech was hard to understand, but she knew more than one language was being spoken.  What kind of facility is comprised of so many nationalities and how far does WITCH’s influence reach?  Until recently, I’ve never even heard of the organization, but they seem very widespread.

As she neared the end of the first path, she listened intently.  No sound came from the room, but she couldn’t properly extend her senses to make sure.  The venation’s tight metal surfaces made her reception scattered. She couldn’t hear anyone moving around and decided to risk it.  Quickly unscrewing the vents facets, she exited and replaced the cover.

She sighed as she left the small space, stretching.  She pinched the front of her shirt and fanned it back and forth.  The warm air picked up a few degrees along the way, enough to start making her sweat.  The room wasn’t lit, but now that she was outside the vent, she could navigate using her reception.

Reaching the door, she found it had a pin-pad lock, just like the last two rooms.  Extending her senses outside the room, she found the area deserted. This area should be a major gathering point.  It’s a Supply Bay. Are they looking for me in a different section of the base?  It was gigantic, she hadn’t zoomed out to see its full size yet, but she could tell from the sections she’d observed.  Perhaps they are looking for me at that fake Supply Bay.  Someone sent out that response, hopefully, they’ll be busy elsewhere.

Finding the next vent, she unscrewed it then backtracked to screw in the first vent cover.  Entering her next ventilation shaft, she screwed its supports back and continued on her way.  She heard noise below her, male. “This is Beta Team; we’re in section bravo, gamma, six. No sign of the girl.  Roger, extending search further into Bay areas.”

Helena cursed under her breath.  Pseudomathematics!  They’ve caught on quicker than I expected.  Extending the search further into the base means I’ve at least escaped their current grid.  If I don’t cause any more incidents, they should waste most of their resources on search parties across the base.

Entering the Supply Bay, she found herself more than six meters off the ground.  She couldn’t extend her senses until she was out of the vent to examine the room thoroughly.  She moved cautiously as she heard a man humming below. There was an opening she could use near her, but there were no shelves close enough to climb down.  

Moving further into the room’s ventilation system, she found the access ladder for this shaft.  Helena took great care in descending it. Reaching base level she extended her field through the vent cover and tried to make out the person’s position.

Fragmented data fed back to her, but she managed to catch glimpses of him.  The man was still going around the different sections of the Bay, pausing at regular intervals.  There were small shelves that would obstruct her from view in front of the vent. Alternating the screws to open it, she pushed the cover outward, using her magnetic field to keep it from falling.

Crawling out with her bag, she set it to one side and took a crouched position behind the shelves, not touching anything, in case the structure wasn’t sturdy and cause a noise.  Following the person with her senses, she found an opportunity to sneak a glance. A small dark haired man with a tablet pc, he was walking around the different shelves, playing with the tablet.  He’s probably checking inventory.

Frowning, Helena began to run through scenarios in which she could either elude or incapacitate the man.  Suddenly the door across the room opened and five heavily geared people rushed in. Helena acted instantly.  Putting the bag back into the vent, she closed it behind her as they started to spread out. Didn’t they already sweep this area?  Have they started a second run through?  I don’t have enough time to grab the screws from the ground!

The men made rushed hand signals, designating where to search.  Do they know I’m here?  Have they already deduced my most plausible access point with the ventilation system and this as a likely location?  They have to know I’m behind the incident in the Server Room, but I could have taken a string of different ventilation junctions to different sections of the base.  I’m still acting too slowly and underestimating WITCH’s recovery time. This’s a good lesson if anything. I’ve never made so many potentially endangering decisions in my life.

The man with the tablet called out.  “What’s going on?”

She felt one of the squad members put a finger to his lips and jerk his thumb toward the door.  The man yelped and scurried out of the room. They combed the bay for another minute, while Helena breathed calmly and deliberately to slow her respiration.  They’re too quiet and scanning for sounds.  If I try to climb up the shaft, they’ll hear me.

One of the men came near the vent and then suddenly performed quick hand signals.  Helena’s stomach dropped. He noticed the screws.  The team gathered at her vent.  “She’s already gone through here.”  One of the men whispered.

“How long ago?”  Asked another.

“Not sure.”  She felt the person bring his hand up to his ear.  “This is Echo. Identified a vent unscrewed in section Bravo 14.”

Helena was listening intently as the response came.  “This is Operations—Manager, Ventre. I’ll be leading the investigation as of now.”  Audible hostility was in his dry, but hiccupping voice as he cut off halfway through his statement.  “What is your sensory member—picking up?”

Helena’s held breath seized in her chest.  Do they have sensory espers in their teams and what’s with Ventre’s voice?  He has the hiccups and he shouldn’t be able to speak this well with the cotton I placed earlier?

“This is Tera, Echo’s sensor type.  I can’t sense anything recent on the screws or the vent, which is perplexing.”  Helena relaxed slightly but kept her breath held. She must not be that skillful.

I can see the release of the vent and the screws being removed.  However, I don’t sense any human interaction, so I can’t tell how long since she’s been here.”  It was the right move to remove the cover with my field.  I have to do it from now on if I make it out of this situation.  I’m lucky they haven’t opened the vent yet. I don’t know what kind of ability this sensory member has, but I’m shocked she can’t sense my heat distribution.  Perhaps it has something else to do with interaction, like human static distribution or skin residue.

“I want Echo—to investigate further into the facility,” Ventre ordered.  Helena’s stomach fluttered. Ventre’s actually ordering them away?  I may make it out of this yet.

“But sir, she may still be close?”  One of the other members commented, audibly perplexed.

“That isn’t a—guarantee and we can’t risk her getting further into the—building.  I’ll send—vents” Ventre coughed, rasping and then hiccupped, the last part cutting out.  The cotton really took its toll, but where did the hiccups come from?

“Yes, sir.”  The first man who spoke acknowledged, likely the leader.  Orders are orders after all.

The radio cut off and she heard the team moving out.  Helena sighed with relief. I was far too luck with that encounter.  They were ordered to search further into the base, which should give me time to stock up on supplies.

Quickly exiting the shaft, she studied the room suspiciously, keeping her senses active.  Why does the Supply Bay not have cameras?  Is it because of its old design and more pressing upgrades take priority?  Putting it in the back of her mind, she moved to the door and touching the pin-pad, changing the code to the room.

She moved from shelf to shelf until she found a box that held waterproof backpacks.  Grabbing a bag, she quickly found the items she would need for short-term survival; knives, water canteens, freeze-dried food, a bundle of steel wiring, and a lightweight thermal blanket.

Finding a facet in the corner, she filled three of the canteens and guzzled down a few mouthfuls of water with a sigh of relief.

Returning back to her pack, she set them inside and noticed the inventory man had left the tablet behind, resting on a shelf.  He’s probably too scared to return so soon and he’ll have to get someone to unlock the door for him.  She quickly took control over the tablets processes and marked the items she’d taken as used.  Ventre will think I left empty handed.

She placed most the contents from the brown bag into the backpack.  It’s kind of heavy, but I can dump supplies I don’t need along the way.  Dragging the backpack back to the vent, she shoved it through with the shoulder bag.  I can’t leave the brown bag in the Supply Bay after they’ve already searched it.  I’ll be lucky enough if the man doesn’t notice the missing items.

Closing the vent behind her, she left the screws undone, but added a weak static charge to the vent to keep it from falling.  The backpack was cumbersome in the ventilation shaft and took a fair bit of her muscular strength to hoist it up the ladder. Huffing, she reached the top of the ladder and began to shimmy toward the Snow Treader bay.  She could still move with little noise if she slowly dragged the pack behind her.

More people ran down the halls in a panic as she progressed along the vents.  It sounds like they have most the base looking for me.  It might be more difficult to get out of the Treader Bay than I initially thought.  Although, if I manage it; I should gain a healthy amount of time to accomplish my next step.

Reaching the Bay, she looked through a slit in the vent.  A few people bustled around, but only a single person was armed.  Moving slower to make less noise, she made her way to the nearest ladder.  Leaving the pack at the top of the shaft, she carefully climbed down.

As she reached the foot of the shaft, she noticed the smell of pine trees.  The exit’s close, which makes sense, this is a Treader Bay.  Extending her field, she found there were boxes a meter in front of the opening.  Their positioning should give me adequate cover from their vision.

She was about to unscrew the vent when she noticed the Wi-Fi feeds around the room.  The room’s observed by cameras.  I could interfere with their signal, but they’re looking for me now, doing so would send every OPs member in the facility to this location.  She frowned before her lips lit with a smile, an intermediary plan formulating in her mind.

6