B1 — 12. Desperation
166 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kara, Klen, Jake, Nathan, and a few of his team followed him to the bay. Eight OP’s members followed from the next hallway. Entering with heavy breathers, Ventre found the cold chill of the outside weather and smell of pine still prominent.

“This is a complete—disaster!” Ventre exclaimed, throwing his arms into the air.

Klen sounded slightly impressed. “Very interesting, the girl’s much smarter than I gave her credit for.”

Jake expressed his thoughts with a low chuckle. “She used the signal disturbances on the other side of the facility to lure her pursuers away. Looped the security cameras, and even sent two Treaders to deter certain follow, while still keeping you guessing.”

Through clenched teeth, Ventre growled. “Send a team after her—immediately!” The OP’s members acknowledged his command and jumped on Treaders, exiting after Helena.

Turning to Nathan, he asked. “Nathan, can you remote kill or return the Treaders?”

He shook his head. “No, she disabled the protocols.”

Ventre yelled out his frustration. “She can’t be this—smart! If I have to call in a Tracker...” He seethed, hiccup close to his throat.

Kara suddenly threw back her hair and laughed. Annoyance flooding his thoughts, he asked, “What’s so—funny, Kara?” Why do I have to deal with her company, why won’t she just leave to her stupid meeting?

Progressing into a ringing chuckle, Kara said. “If I’m not mistaken, she’s surpassed ninety percent of all tested subjects in this facility. What’s her name?”

Viciously, Ventre replied. “Helena.”

Kara hummed melodically, tasting the name on her tongue. “Helena—I like her style.” She’s clearly entertained by Helena’s actions. Will she supersede my authority? She moved her index finger to her lips as she shifted her head to stare around the room. “I think I’ll talk to the President about a request I have. Give me the full specs when she’s recovered.”

Ventre could feel the expectation in her voice that sent shivers down his spine. I hate these Faction Leaders that think they can treat me like trash, taking orders from children. But I can’t afford to disrespect her … she’ll kill me. Respectfully, he said. “Of course.”

Klen made a light tone of curiosity. “It isn’t every day that you give attention to a new recruit, Kara.”

Kara’s mouth twisted amusedly as she glanced his way. “It’s not every day I meet another Electro Master.” Meet another Electro Master? Did she see Helena already, maybe when she was going through the halls? Her lip parted to reveal white teeth as she smiled. “She reminds me so much of myself at her age. I can sense the hidden potential.”

Again she glanced around the room. Whatever, she’s probably playing with me. That’s something I’d do if I were in her position. “Wasn’t your first escape under four minutes, Klen? I believe she’s trampled that record by a large margin.”

Klen’s smile vanished. “We both know how far I’ve excelled since then, don’t we? You should talk to Booker and see exactly how far I’ve progressed.”

Kara laughed and moved toward the doors. Realization hit Ventre. Wait … maybe the SOP members in training are coming here for the next stage in the President’s tournament. Is the contest being held at my base and that’s why the renovations are being done, possibly why he’s at the base? Both the Vice-President and President didn’t inform me, why?

As Kara reached the exit she stopped, turned and said. “I’m looking forward to further results.” With sarcastic laughter, she continued. “I wish you the best of luck in your game of cat and mouse, Ventre.” With that statement, she walked out, a cheerful hop to her step. Klen shortly followed after her, leaving Ventre in the room with Jake and his men.

Who was she talking to? It kind of seemed directed at me, but why would she expect more? Fear glazed across his mind. Maybe she’s looking into my test and actually testing me? What if this is a test not only for the girl but my capabilities. If so, I’m failing miserably...

Ventre swore and kicked a nearby crate. He turned to Nathan. “We’ll see if the assault—team can handle the recovery. If that fails—I’ll call in a Tracker. This has been a complete catastrophe!” Fuming, he exited the bay. “I’ll be in—the observation room to direct the assault.” As expected, his three underlings followed.

Reaching his destination, he entered with a flurry of barking orders to his team and the OP’s members in search of Helena, rubbing his burning wrists absently. I should have had that General heal them, but she was already pissed. She’d probably destroy a nerve or something out of spite. I made one slip … one! A small act of letting my guard down and that girl leaped on it as quick as a viper! Wait … could her last comment been used to draw out that opening? No, she can’t have played me that well, but she is smart, very smart … dangerously smart for a child. I’ve never seen a girl at her age with this kind of aptitude or expected it.

It’s plain that Kara wants to study and learn more about Helena for whatever purpose. If I give her to Kara in a broken state … she’ll kill me, without a second thought. No one would stop her, she only answers to the President and Alpha. I need a scapegoat, someone who can take on a personal note with the girl. If I play my cards right, I can be completely done with Helena.

Ventre turned as the door opened and Jake walked into the room, a surprised expression on his outlandish face. “Ah, this must be the observation room, took me a while to find it.” He noted cheerily.

I don’t like this man … he’s so ignorant about base operations and discourteous at that. He suddenly arrives in my base without warning and is even given max level clearance by the President. Who is he and what is he to the President? He has to be of some importance to be given access that I’ve worked years trying to achieve. His appearance was abnormal and had a style that seemed eastern, but Ventre hadn’t seen anyone like him.

Jake walked over to him with a wide smile. “How’s the search going, Ventre?”

“Fine, I’m close to catching up with the—two Treaders. The teams will then use an extended shortening rod to—blow the Treaders components.” Ventre explained with a distasteful tone, continuing to hiccup. Why do I have to explain my actions to someone who just walks in and takes an air of complete disrespect? He didn’t announce himself or request a conversation.

“Oh, what’s that little orange bing on the screen there?” Jake asked curiously pointing at a side console display.

Ventre waved his hand dismissively. “It just means a Bay door has been opened.” It suddenly hit him. There shouldn’t be any exits from that Bay, the same one Helena left through … she did leave?

“Bring up the second Treader Bay cameras!” Ventre barked with rising horror.

“Sir, the Bay cameras are still in loop. The Tech Team has to go through some administrative protocols to restore them.” An operator said tentatively.

“Administrative protocols?” Ventre repeated. She’s somehow gained access to the administrative system? If she got into the Main Server and having Administrative control … she could do anything. All the information she’d need to escape would be readily available within her grasp.

“Sir, the Tech Department has reset the cameras in the Treader Bay and I am bringing it up on the fourth screen now.” An operator said.

Ventre studied the fourth screen as it popped up. With dismay, he found all the Snow Treaders were gone. The Bay was completely empty. She sent the first ones as decoys or are these timed decoys from the Main Server’s dish connection? Wait … Kara’s attitude and looking off into the Bay. Did she know? Of course, she would, she’s a Prime! Then again … it could have all been a prank and she’s just laughing at me.

“Check all the logs; find out what she got into.” This is beyond the worst case scenario, Helena’s planned everything and Kara has me second guessing my actions. A terrifying thought struck him. “Check for errors or anomalies in the tracking calculations.” He waited for their re-analysis of the system with dread sinking in.

“Sir, you were right. The Treaders aren’t actually where the screens are displaying. I’m clearing out the misinformation.”

The blips on the screen suddenly altered. There were now sixteen red blips and eight blue. Fifteen decoys. There’s still the possibility that she’s on one of the first two, but the thirteen new vehicles have a slightly better chance … she may even still be in the base! I’ll have to call back most of the first two teams and have them chase the other thirteen. I can’t go after them all. I don’t have enough OPs teams at this time. Is this a part of her plan? Could she expected me to stop the chase on the first two and move to the later thirteen, maybe return them to search the base? I have no choice. I need to recruit more people in the search. He cursed loudly. This is too much, way too much for a little eight-year-old girl. She had help, she had to.

Jake whistled. “She’s certainly brilliant, isn’t she, and she’s only seven-years-old?”

“Eight,” Ventre whispered distractedly. His eyes snapped open with shock. Could Jake have given her this plan, helped? He did direct her to the Supply Server. Then again, he can’t have anything to do with it. He’s a guest of the President and even if he did, I can’t do anything about it. Just his position as the President’s guest gives him as much authority as Kara. Is this a plan to destroy my reputation, a conspiracy?

Wait, Helena said she’d been dosed on something besides the initial sedative. I had no information regarding any change in the test. Who else had information about that assessment and more authority than me? Only the President or Vice-President had that knowledge; Tenzen himself. Why would the President change a key component of the test and not inform me, why?

Is it because Helena’s a Vandred, one of the most influential of the Great Houses? Ventre took a deep breath, hiccups escaping his throat in a torrent, causing him to cough. No, no. I can’t think like this. I need to calm down and think through this logically. Thinking for a moment, Ventre issued new orders. “Call in all the backup—OP’s teams in the base and send them—after the other thirteen Treaders.”

“Sir, I’ve been going over some of the new vehicles on the map and it seems I can kill two of them, but I cannot return them. Their protocol has just been reactivated … somehow.”

Ventre gulped. It’s getting more complicated by the second. “How fast—can the OPs teams get to them?”

“Possibly ten minutes to get their gear together, on a Treader and to the site.” The operator said, pressing a few buttons of the console.

This could be another decoy or it could be her plan to waste my time going after the ones further ahead, while she slips past the grid. In fact, she may still be in the base, I can’t rule that out. This could be an important decision. I have to think about it carefully. I have more resources now, but I still don’t know exactly how many pawns I can use.

Jake cleared his throat. “Well, I don't want to be a bother … but, could you send someone to guide me to the President?”

Ventre ran his palm down his face with irritation, groaning. “The President’s office is on the other side of the base. You’ll have to take a shuttle to get there.”

“Then can you send someone to direct me?” Jake pressed a stupid grin still evident on his face. Does his mouth ever falter? “Someone—help him to the President.” At least Jake’s out of my hair.

“How many OP’s—members are ready to move out?” Ventre asked as a woman guided Jake out of the room.

“There are seven teams still inside the base.” Replied an operator.

I don’t have enough Treaders at the base to go after all the decoys and the storm outside prevents a Hoverfly from reaching her. She couldn’t have chosen a better time to attempt an escape … wait the SOP members would have brought Treaders with them, but I can’t just take them.

His composure started to slip. She’s been given a time release sedative that should knock her out for a few hours. It’s my final failsafe and should be kicking in soon. However, now she’s on an Automated Snow Treader, she’s even escaped my final measure of control. “Nathan. How—long till the sedative kicks in, five—minutes?”

Nathan looked up from the console he’d been studying and thought for a moment. “Yeah, it should be around five minutes, maybe less and last at least an hour, but we can’t be sure.” Ventre scratched the back of his scalp, a vexed growl escaping his throat.

“Sir.” An operation staff member said, drawing Ventre’s attention. “I may—have figured out a way to track which vehicle the girl’s on.”

Excitement stirred in his chest. “Explain.”

“She puts off an electrostatic field, right? That would cause calculation errors in the Snow Treader’s activity logs. It shouldn’t hamper its travel time, but would constantly require calculation reworking within the programming data. We can’t shut down the Treaders navigation, but we can observe the logs. Thereby determining which one she’s on.”

“Great work!” A smile twitched at the corners of Ventre’s mouth. “Get—on that, immediately.” At least one person isn’t completely brain dead.

Pondering his next move, he decided it was time to quit playing. “Call—back the OP’s teams and get them working on every move that—girl’s made since waking up. Assign subjects five seventy—two and five seventy-three on Helena’s trail.” He paused for a moment. Also, add the Southern—Base’s trainer. The Green Faction’s SOP Major that’s passing by, add him to the team with a Tracker—to guide them. Have them wait till the storm—is over, then take the Hoverfly.”

“Sir, he’s a Major and a trainer—he’s somewhat—extreme—and we can’t order him around.”

“I ordered—his addition to the team!” Ventre snapped, making his decision clear.

“Yes, Sir,” he talked over a microphone for a moment before going pale, “Ventre ... he’s rejecting your request...” I’ll have to convince him since he’s an SOP, a trainer, and a Major, but if he joins its checkmate. “Let me negotiate with him, just get the other members ready.” This will push Helena well beyond her limits. The trainer may be extreme, but he’s a Major, he’ll never lose to someone like Helena.

He pulled up what little information he had on the Major. He’s a Guerrilla Tactics Expert and truthfully just below the level of a Colonel. Hopefully, he’ll finish her for good. If he does kill her, the Major’s Prime will take all of Kara’s heat and Primes fighting each other is normally forbidden. It’s perfect.

6