B1 — 15. Unforeseen Hand
179 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ventre kept a level expression as he studied the single dot left on the screen, short fits of hiccups escaping his mouth every so often. The Treaders have stopped several times, but that isn’t spectacular. The navigation system ran into errors and had to reassess its direction, she’s unconscious anyways.

Five hours had passed since Helena left the compound and the storm just barely broke. Nathan’s voice spoke from a console. “Sir, your personalized team has just left. Their ETA to the Reaper Settlement is forty-five minutes and we’ve solved all the technical issues with the satellite, cutting off the Treader feeds.”

Ventre switched the frequency on his headset to his team’s private channel. “I assume you’ve—received my instructions already?”

“Yes.” Three voices responded. I guess the trainer is still in somewhat of an uncooperative mood, even after all my negotiations. At least the Vice-President authorized a Tracker.

“Thank you for this opportunity, sir. Mike and I have a score to settle with that brat. I’ve had twitches since the Black Box incident.”

“Keep it professional, Hew. She isn’t to be underestimated.” Ventre’s mouth curved with pleasure. This is what I want, personal interest.

Tentatively Hew said. “We didn’t get information on the girl and man that are accompanying us on the mission. Is there anything you want to tell us personally?”

Ventre stroked his mustache. “Switch to the next private—channel, Hew.” Flipping to the channel, he waited for Hew to confirm he’d entered. “Don’t—be concerned about the girl. She’ll—stay in the Hoverfly. The man, however, is a high level—esper, a trainer and Major. He’s in charge, do exactly what he says without—question or he’ll probably kill you. By the way, you don’t need to … soften the blow with Helena, do what you must.”

There was a slight hesitation. “Roger, is that all?”

“That’s—all.”

He let the transmission cut out. Ventre frowned as he examined the screen in front of him. The Hoverfly changed course? Now they’re heading towards some old ruins? Ventre’s mouth shifted to a broad grin. The Tracker’s doing her job and pinning Helena down. She’s a talkative girl, but most the Trackers aren’t combat trained. The President pampers them too much. Helena will be shocked when they show up. She probably thought it clever to head to the ruins and send the Treader completely off course, thinking I’ll never find her. She’s trapped.

One of the men at the console said. “Sir, the OP’s team’s sensory personnel have completed their analysis on Helena’s movements within the base. They’ve finished the report and sent it to your HCID.”

Ventre brought the holographic device up and activated the imaging. These devices are useful. He wasn’t sure how the President managed to get technicians from Tech to build them since Tech hates WITCH. Only high-end personnel were permitted to have them, so he relished the status.

The data popped up and he began to read with interest. She certainly had been busy after leaving me hogtied in that room. There’s no doubting her intelligence with this report. Her decisions haven’t been perfect, but with the information she had, it was more than ingenious, it was brilliant. There are few espers that could have accomplished what she has.

“Intriguing report.” Ventre froze in terror as a dark and haunting voice echoed behind him. He was about to turn around, but the voice instantly halted his movement. “Don’t move, trash. Just look down and keep your mouth shut.”

Ventre felt his breath coming out in pants and somehow his hiccups had stopped. There’s no doubting … even after eight years, it hasn’t changed. Phantasm, one of the Eight Primes and the Purple Faction Leader, a level one hundred and one esper.

Ventre gulped, keeping his eyes trained on the device. The last time he’d heard this voice was during Phantasm’s initiation into WITCH. He’d only been in training as an operator at the time, but his mentor soon died after this esper went through his tests. Phantasm held the standing record of eluding capture in the Northern Base and eventually required two SOP squads to step in and bring him in.

Phantasm’s menacing tone seemed to whisper in a surreal humorous way, right into Ventre’s brain. “This girl—Helena, is about to outstand my capture record, fascinating. Imagine my surprise when I heard about Kara’s interest and in a green recruit. I just had to see for myself.”

Ventre felt snot starting to run down his nose as a cold sweat broke across his body. His voice was teasing, terrifying, and filled with lilting humor. Every note made him quake. What is this esper giant plotting?

“I can’t believe you’d be so simply outclassed by an eight-year-old girl and with such a low ability level. I remember you claiming you’d run a tighter outfit than your predecessor.” Ventre felt the lump in his throat expand. Does that mean my mentor’s death and my promotion was due to Phantasm’s hand? “I’m now interested in this girl. She may make a good—pawn to lure Kara out of her tactical position and give her yet another scar.”

Why’s he telling me this? What’s the connection? Kara claimed her own Faction and added the color white to the Seven Primes, making eight. Why does Phantasm want to lure Kara into a trap, she’s a Prime, just like him? Maybe it’s a respect issue. The Primes are only under the Alpha and President, but each of them has to be ranked in a power listing. Also, no one has ever created their own Faction; all attempts had been smothered by previous Primes.

A bizarre chuckle emanated behind him. “Speculations are dangerous, even internal. You know this. Just for those thoughts, an esper in Genesis would be executed. Everyone has a favorite Prime.”

He choked down the saliva in his throat. “What do you want from me?” Ventre asked in a petrified whisper.

“Oh—don’t tell Kara about the girl’s recovery and give this Helena some—special treatment when she’s captured.” An amusing chuckle wisped behind him. “I have my own pride in pursuit of the girl. If your team doesn’t capture her before mine—expect consequences.”

Ventre felt sweat running down his quivering body. His armpits stuck to his course shirt and his legs felt like they were about to buckle. How far is Helena going to sink me? Now I not only have Kara to deal with, but she’s also caught Phantasm’s attention. I can’t handle interest like this. People with higher positions have been swept under the Primes’ shadow games.

Ventre flinched and hiccupped as he twisted his body in fear as a screeching cacophony sounded behind him. He watched in dismay as the steel doors rip off their bearings and crush in on themselves. He bit down on his tongue, tasting of blood. Why, why, why is Kara here and of all times?

Kara came prowling into the observation room through the now distorted steel doors. Her black seething eyes were wild with fury, pools of darkness. Nothing of her deep brown irises was visible. How is she changing her eyes? He felt his wrist jerk up as a powerful force lifted him off the ground, sharp pain screaming from his wrist and shoulder socket. He was too stunned to realize the pain. She’s using magnetism to lift the HCID clasped to my wrist, hanging me in midair … did I wrong her?

“Where is that maggot! I sensed him in this room.” She snarled as she swept in. Her body a mass of energy as it crackled around the room. His staff screamed as they took cover under the machinery. Lightning flashed off control panels, sending sparks spraying and the lights dimmed with the powerful magnetic fields Kara created. Kara spat. “He’s gone!” Turning to Ventre, she demanded. “What did he say, Ventre? What did Phantasm want!”

Ventre was terrified, he never expected to be on the receiving end of this girl’s power and his tongue was numb. I can’t speak, why? He’d heard the stories, but this was beyond what he’d imagined. It felt like shards of metal were piercing his flesh and digging into his heart as her presence seemed to consume him. Energy crackled across the air around him, leaving the scent of atmosphere potent and making it hard to breathe.

Her brown hair was dancing in arcs above her head as the electromagnetic fields tossed it, but most terrifying was her usually sweet face. It had transformed into a mask made for a demon. She suddenly blinked, looking slightly confused. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and exhaled. Opening them again, the lightning dwindled to nothing and her eyes were back to normal. The only evidence of its presence being the twisted metal, cracked concrete and burn marks across the ground, ceiling, doors, and shattered monitors of the control panels.

The lights stabilized and Ventre felt himself being brought back down to the ground. His legs wouldn’t support his weight as he crumpled into a heap. He only partially realized that he’d wet himself. How much power does Kara have? This is only a taste of what level one hundred and one espers can do. What can she do if truly provoked?

She stared around at the ruined room with distaste. In a chastising tone, she whispered. “I seem to have lost control, again.” Straightening her composure, she glared down at Ventre. “I’ll say it again, I sensed Phantasm in this room. He was here?”

Ventre shook, but couldn’t respond. Kara angrily confirmed her question. “He was here then.” How can she do that? Know my thoughts even though I didn’t say anything? Helena did something similar. It must have something to do with their ability. She stared at him for a few minutes before saying. “I assume you won’t say anything, but I also presume that it had something to do with Helena.” Again she confirmed her suspicions without his response.

She looked as if she’d swallowed a spoonful of bitter medicine as she lightly bit down on her thumbnail and seemed to gaze inwardly. “So there’s a spy in my group.” She mumbled with narrowed eyes. She stood in the same position for over ten minutes before Klen came huffing in, clearly winded. He stared at Kara for a second then Ventre then the room. “You—took off—in a rage—what’s going on?” Klen wheezed.

“Oh, and you couldn’t keep up?” Kara asked while turning to glare at him.

“Not with—with your ability! Using electromagnetism to propel yourself across the halls.” He gulped and panted for a few more seconds before continuing. “In a building made of iron and steel, no one can keep up with you!” Finally seeming to catch his breath he said. “So, what caught your attention enough to dash out of the President’s office in that bundle of energy?”

No wayThe President’s office is on the other side of the compound. Normally you’d have to take some form of mobile transit to transport that distance and it would still take some time. She scaled the distance in under a minute from that end of the building and even sensed Phantasm? Did it have something to do with those searing black eyes?

Kara huffed and scowled down at Ventre. “I can see you’re too far under Phantasm’s ability to tell me anything useful. If he wants to play this little contest then I’ll play. He isn’t quite as untouchable as he likes to think he is.” She stated with a small smirk, now not even noticing the disheveled body in front of her; she turned and stormed out of the room, gesturing for Klen to follow.

Why? Despair filled Ventre’s heart. What have I done to deserve this? He cursed as he lay in his own waste. I have no choice. He was now in the middle of a colossal battle that would shake the foundations of WITCH. Obviously, Phantasm’s orders stand and I’m a little more frightened of him than Kara, she even mentioned I’m being influenced by his power. Although Kara isn’t to be trifled with, I just witnessed a simple outburst of her power and there are some nasty rumors about her past.

He shuddered. Knowing his nights would be filled with the demonic vision of Kara’s blackened eyes and that horrific contortion of her face. Not only Kara but that whisper of a voice that would return not only in his sleep but reality, Phantasm wasn’t finished with him yet. He didn’t even notice that his hiccups had stopped. Kara wants Helena and Phantasm wants Kara. I’m stuck right in the middle, there’s no way out. My life’s ruined...

5