B1 — 28. Decisions
133 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Expelling an electrical field under her feet, Helena sent a burst of magnetism to propel away from the expanding danger. She only saw a glimpse of blue and her reception told her there were foreign metal objects in her room before flying backward. Throwing an opposite charge to her back, Helena pressed her field against the wall to ease her momentum. However, the alien field expanded past the doorway.

In slow motion, she watched in horror as her newly replaced door and its frame twist, bending unnaturally. Distracted with the dancing steel in front of her, she didn’t use enough focus and her back struck the wall harder than she’d expected. The collision making her eyes close and breath expel from her lungs. The sound of twisted steel resounded ahead of her; she could sense the metal coming. Can’t recover fast enoughneed more distance.

Directing another blast of electromagnetic force under her, she pushed sideward to her left and back down the hall. Her slippers slid off as she soared a meter above the ground, skidding across the smooth steel flooring. A sharp grunt escaping her lips with every sharp impact the momentum carried.

Wheezing as she stopped, she looked up to black spots distracting her focus. Blinking, she found the wall dented inward. The slippers had flown off her feet and now were flattened against the wall, pitted in the steel. Her thick metal door had cut into the indentation, showing glimpses of light from the small gaps it left.

Her eyes darted to the left to stare at the distorted open door frame. Emphatic clapping came from inside her room. A woman’s amused voice. “Consider me rapt! I didn’t expect you to react so nimbly. Kara was right, you have talent.”

Helena got to her feet, readjusting her robe that had become partially indecent in her flight. What is this power and who is this woman?

“Well now, don’t be rude. Come inside and sit. I won’t bite, not anymore.” She laughed, it wasn’t quite as tinkling as Kara’s, but it had a similar note. Rude, she attacks me and calls me rude?

Slowly, she neared the doorway and entered her room. Sitting in a cushioned royal blue gold enlaced chair was a woman Helena knew, at least in video. Eizea Felorne sat amicably in the seat, expectantly waiting for Helena to take the cushioned emerald green silver enlaced chair opposite her. Gravitations, Eizea was testing me and apparently Kara had talked with her. Of course! The refreshments ordered, Eizea was Kara’s guest after I left. She’s finally arrived to convince me into joining her side. What’s her angle, intimidation?

Eizea’s features were expectant, examining her. She had dark tanned skin and her black hair was permed, falling down her back and front. It gently waved as her natural gravitational field slowly alternated around her body. She had a small straight nose, close high-thin arched eyebrows, light blue prominent eyes, and red glistening full lips.

Helena could feel the irregular waves flowing around her room with warning signals flashing across her mind. She’s done testing me. I need to bear through the discomfort.

Her thin eyebrows were raised as she waited expectantly. Dangling platinum sapphire inlaid earrings tumbled down her earlobes, alternating their movements with the gravity. Her shimmering satin royal blue strapless dress appeared to be made of scraps of cloth that had been sewn together. Each piece folded under each other as it poured down to her thighs, and spread pieces of the same fabric cascaded from her thighs to her ankles in frilled patterns that slowly flared outwards. The dress highlighted her developed curves in an accentuating manner and would give her an eye-catching posture while walking.

“Salutations, Eizea Felorne.” Helena gave her a slight bow. The Felorne didn’t have laws against gender-specific roles like some of the other Great Houses. In the power scale of the Great Houses, Eizea was slightly above her because she was the next in line to the Head, but lower in House Status. Helena wasn’t officially disavowed by her house, though her middle name being leaked meant she was stained and pending disavowment by the elders.

“Helena Victoria Vandred.” Eizea said her name slowly with a wide smile, showing her glistening pearly teeth as she emphasized her middle name. A slight tingle ran down Helena’s spine at her middle name was called by another Noble, but she quelled her body’s reaction.

Helena took the seat in front of Eizea. “It’s an honor. To think a Faction Prime and Great House heir in my room.”

Eizea shifted her posture to lean against her chair’s right arm. “I was astonished when my father called to inform me of your existence. The Vandreds have always been secretive, but to hide a potential heir from the other Great Houses—it almost seems disrespectful.”

Helena didn’t have anything to say on the matter, so she stayed silent, waiting for her next question or statement. “How has your brother been?” Eizea asked a glint showing in her light blue irises. She must know of my circumstance, she would have gathered all the facts before approaching me.

Without emotion or shift in weight, Helena said. “As far as I am aware, he’s still at the Estate; I haven’t seen him in the last few days. Not since he knocked me out and gave me to WITCH.”

An expression of disbelief crossed Eizea’s face. “Oh, my—he subdued you himself.” She shook her head regretfully. “Sometimes I’m grateful to be an only child.”

Helena didn’t answer. Leaning back slightly, Eizea brought her left hand up to her mouth in a thoughtful gesture as she stared at Helena scrupulously. “You know, your brother has been amassing power in your House, supporters.”

Helena knew where she was leading and suspiciously asked. “He’s planning to usurp power from our parents?” She’s steering this conversation down a dangerous road among Nobles.

Eizea shrugged. “From what I can tell, he’s been plotting something over the past four years. He’s such a clever boy, but a tad too ambitious in my humble opinion.” Coming from a family that supports WITCH; an heir to a Great House, and Prime Faction Leader … she’s frightened of something or her father is.

Leaning forward, Helena tilted her head ever so slightly, and putting a small smile to her lips, she said. “His actions have a possibility to endanger the Felorne House’s standing and your father sent you to explore—another option. However, you would have come in any case, just to meet me, an unknown Noble—yet, on the brink of disavowment. Your curiosity had to be piqued.”

Eizea’s face shifted from its placating manner to true astonishment, which was closely followed by a fascinated glow. “Oh—smart, I’m enjoying my detour more with every passing second. I got to have a lovely chat with Kara and now you. Yes, your brother is a—loose cannon. There hasn’t been a codetta among Nobles in over three hundred years and—the last was your House, against Head Milnor Vandred.”

Helena frowned at the statement. That section of Vandred History had been blanketed; blotted out of the books.

“Head Milnor, a loved man by his House as he sacrificed everything for the Branch Families. He deteriorated the family name to such a lowly state, almost to the point of losing the title of Great.

“Expenses, power among the Houses, and domination in the Deity Faith’s movements were the highest in House History before Milnor took the seat. Milnor came into the Vandred Head position at its prime. All thanks to his father, Head Alfred Vandred’s conquest. A truly brilliant man, Alfred took over the entirety of Elestveeve in under fifteen years; everything was under him and by his own power.

“However, the product of Alfred the Great would crumble the whole of his empire that his Clansmen bled and died for in under a year.” Eizea laughed. “I’m assuming you haven’t received an education on Head Milnor, he was cut out of your history, a shame to the prodigious name of Vandred.”

Helena’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly. “You’re correct, there’s a blank in that section of our history.”

Eizea’s lilting voice penetrated the room. “I shouldn’t complain, in fact, my House documented Head Milnor carefully. Because of his blunders, it allowed our previous Head, Gabriel Felorne, to take claim in Milnor’s squandered inheritance and now look how powerful my House has become.

“Although, the generations that followed Milnor’s reign managed to gut their inheritance back from the Lesser and weaker Great Houses, now standing tall. Of the current fifteen Great Houses, the few that can be considered within the power scale is Hatter; Vandred; Felorne; Warbringer; Emeldra; Olisqu; and barely hanging on through WITCH connections, Golitin. The Six Major Houses are very close in influential power, but there is that tip of the scale.”

Helena posture and expression had become a blank slate, but she felt the worry starting to ebb down her gut. Something big is brewing behind this woman’s mind and that vision from Phantasm. Something is subtly taking place underneath the Houses’ shadow and Drake is plotting something that’s deeper than a codetta. The possibilities coming to her mind sent chills down her spine. “You’re here to try and persuade me to join your side, but what exactly are you scheming?”

“I’ll get to that,” Eizea said with a tick of her tongue, “I want you fully aware of the current positioning of the Great Houses before making up your mind.”

“Very well,” Helena nodded as she waited.

“The Deities are getting bolder, they’ve even raided a few of the Lesser Houses, plundering funds, killing all espers, which is most of every House as you know, and are even taking any non-espers to join in their cult. This all in the name of their Deities. Of course, it was only a matter of time before the Deities branched away from House support and we’ve grown out of their petty beliefs as an advanced evolutionary race.”

Advanced evolutionary race? In all aspects excluding Focus, we’re still human, smart as we may be. That was quite the statement. Eizea might be showing signs of Megalomania, though Drake did talk about her pride. I don’t think she’d be satisfied with just Vandred loyalty in the end...

Tech is a true threat as well; their sole purpose is to counter us espers. They believe in ridiculous technological integration as a means of evolution, because they haven’t been gifted with true power as us espers.

“It’s a process of genetics and natural selection. Tech needs to be stomped out, but WITCH has had plans in the work for some time, so I don’t need to concentrate on that little side project. Kara was given key tasks in any case.” Kara’s been given tasks to complete in regards to Tech’s downfall and Eizea knows about them?

Helena gulped as unease settled into her abdomen. “You’re talking about a great war coming?”

“Oh—it’s been in the makings for a while now,” Eizea said with a simple shrug.

“Who will be the opposition, because it sounds very widespread?” Helena asked, trying to understand the scope.

“Yes—it is fairly widespread, but there will be sides. The Houses have been struggling for power for over a thousand years and because of their struggles, this continent is almost completely free of monsters.

“Then the Deity Faith shows up and dupes our ancestors into believing their supercilious religion. We far out stage these weak beings, but are held by antiquated principles—which your parents happen to still follow.”

It was all starting to come clear in Helena’s mind. Drake’s unwilling to bow down to Eizea and join her but is willing to start this war, forcing her hand. She wants to be one of those conquerors in history, to achieve supremacy, but without another Great House’s support, it’s uncertain if she’ll survive. “You want me to join you and take the position as Vandred Head.”

Eizea clapped lightly with a grin, a twinkle in her eyes. “Think about it, you’ll get away from WITCH and take the Head’s position. You’ll lose nothing and gain everything.” She isn’t completely wrong. I’ll totally bypass WITCH with her influence, which Kara isn’t willing or can’t do and even proceed on a journey to becoming the Head of my House. However, I wouldn’t have the power a Head needs to rule. I’ll be completely under Eizea’s hand as she pulls the strings.

A dubious grin lit Eizea’s features. “I know what you’re thinking, it must seem all too obvious to you. However, there is a quote that I’m rather fond of and Kara was the one who spoke it—on the day she claimed a separate faction, the White Faction, The Purists.” I didn’t know she named it herself, but that isn’t too surprising. It’s a fitting name for the color white.

“She probably didn’t tell you, but she isn’t really considered a true Prime. Although, at the same time, technically she is one since she killed the previous Purple Prime.” Then Phantasm took control over the remaining factions of Purple, while Kara broke away from the WITCH color traditions?

“She fought in the presence of four Primes, including myself and I wasn’t a Prime at that time. She said this:

“The powerful stand firm and crumble over time. The wise wallow away in their superior knowledge until realization shatters their beliefs. However, the one that continually survives is the one that adapts that has the ability to alter themselves to a situation.” Eizea seemed to look back on the incident with a fondness and her heart picked up its pace in excitement.

Helena’s complexion deepened with a frowned. She’s right, I need to adapt and the path Eizea’s giving me is tempting.

“As Kara said, it’s not the strong or wise that survives, but those that learn to adapt to form around those powers.” She’s talking about me following her and amending to the situation. I didn’t expect her to play such a high hand, she certainly has come prepared.

Lifting from her seat, she smiled down at Helena, who quickly followed her example. “I’ll give you your allotted time to think it over, Helena.” Helena bowed, signifying her acknowledgment.

A frown crossed Eizea’s face as she glanced at the bed, at Belesis’ sleeping form. “I’d be wary of that one. Even I don’t have information on her. She appeared out of nowhere a year ago and quickly accelerated in Kara’s ranks, all the way to the top.”

Glancing around the room, her smile lit-up again and she critically examined specific areas. “Truly fascinating, absolutely everything in this room has multiple algorithms spread across it.” Multiple and everything has an algorithm?

“I was examining the bed to room ratio in contrast with the size of each object and found a particularly complex formula that combines with the bed’s designed algorithm. Kara certainly is cryptic, I love it.” She’s given me the guidelines for completing the room’s grand design. I know Kara’s powerful, but Eizea must be just as dangerous. These formulas are for Electro Masters and she instantly recognized the room’s secrets.

Glancing down at the chairs, she said. “Keep the furnishings; you need chairs in this room in any case.”

With an impish grin, directed her way, Eizea said. “You know, Helena and Victoria are very strong names. The conqueror that formed the Great House Vandred a thousand years ago, Helena Vandred and then Victoria, her General in planning strategic militaristic decisions, a true genius.” Before exiting, she wistfully said, “I wonder why your parents would name you after such prominent figures.” With a hum, she exited the room, leaving Helena to ponder her options. Helena watchfully followed her back as she left. Eizea’s even more dangerous than Drake described.

Turning to look at Belesis, she studied her sleeping form. She was slumbering peacefully, curled up against one of Helena’s pillows. If Eizea couldn’t find information on her then who is she? If I’m going to get answers, I need to go to the source. Is Kara still in the same room? Examining the doorway, she sighed. The maintenance crew must hate me.

Heading back to the relief room, she found two people, but Kara wasn’t there. However, a strange folded piece of statically charged paper was stuck to the bottom of the couch she’d been sitting on. Why does Kara enjoy paper messages when she could send an email?

Much to the two occupant’s bewilderment, Helena reached down and plucked the paper out from under the sofa. It read:

 

Vixy, Vixy … I must say that I did expect you to come looking for answers after that conniving minx showed up. I was expecting it of course … since my cute little dimples fix didn’t quite catch (*huff* fine I guess it was a bit fickle, but it looks SOOOO ADORABLE!!).

Well—I guess I’ll have to explain a few little twists that woman spun in your mind. Btw … I hate Gravitokinetics, they think that they’re sooo powerful … we hold one of the four basic forces of the universe too … and electromagnetic force is stronger than gravitational force!

Anyways … you have questions as to super-secret plots and cover-ups, I’m sure. So when you find this note, meet me in the next room to the left, exiting this room … this area gets a little cramped at this time. I’ve been able to complete most my business for tonight anyway.

See those cute cheeks in a moment then!! Karaightning away!

 

Retiring from the room, Helena walked to the next door. Kara’s field was definitely repressed inside and so were a few floating static charges. What’s she doing and why is she repressing her static field this much when before it was evident all the way from my room?

Opening the door, she found Kara in a small gathering room with a single oak table in the center. Kara was leaning back in a chair as it rested against the steel paneling. In the air were several pieces of paper that were folded into some kind of air vehicle. They flew around the room in response to Kara’s static field.

Her attire had changed. She was now wearing a tight, open neck, light brown and black dress that was very short. Under the dress showed black shorts and white flats that came to the ground as Helena entered the room. Her small curves seemed more highlighted with the apparel.

“Salutations, Kara.” Helena greeted as she took a seat.

“Vixy, how are you? Why are you wearing that? Did you see all those clothes Balesis picked out? I knew she’d do all the work, but was my choice really that bad?” She asked while studying her robe with lifted eyebrows.

“I found it more pressing to find answers than dig through the closet,” Helena replied as she took a seat.

“Ah—of course, Eizea showed up in your room throwing around gravity like a plaything. She really does have flashy tastes … I’m not much into the style. What do you want to know then?” I keep hearing how proper Kara is, but every time I’ve seen her, she’s been all, but completely carefree.

“You’re a Prime, the White Prime, and leader of the Purists?” Helena asked getting to the point.

“No and yes,” Kara mumbled as her eyes followed the paper designs floating around the room. “I never officially claimed the title of Prime and White is something the throngs gave my group as a color. I, however, did claim my group as Purists.” Eizea had been incorrect in some of her statements … well, she didn’t give me all the information. I couldn’t even read her heartbeat with her field’s distortions. That is if Kara is telling the truth as well and I doubt Kara has any real motive to lie to me about such topics.

“Why’s that?”

Kara frowned. “I bet Eizea said something about the strong and wise crumbling or something, right?”

“Yes,” Helena hesitantly answered, “she quoted a phrase she claims you said after killing the Purple Prime.”

“Yes … she’s quite fond of my little quotes, but she only hears what she wants to, that woman.” Kara said with distaste. “And, that event is much more complicated than she probably explained, more than I’d like to recount.”

“Then it’s different than how she stated it?” Helena pressed.

“No, I bet she spoke every word to the line. What did she say exactly?” Helena hesitated for a moment before recounting her quote.

Kara hummed as she finished and a snort escaped her mouth. “Yes, word for word. However, she skipped out on the most important part, the ending.”

“Is it relevant?”

“Maybe,” Kara replied with a tinkling giggle. Helena fell into silence, waiting for Kara to continue.

“You asked why I call my group Purists … it’s because of that statement.” The reticence followed for several seconds as Kara shifted in her chair, unable to keep a specific posture. She truly hates to sit still, she’s very hyperactive. It probably has to do with combat experience.

“The last portion of that speech is this:

“Nevertheless, adaptation is nothing in the wake of a permutation of a trinity involving the three aspects. True perfection comes from having the strength to stand; the wisdom to guide; and the ability to adapt to your opposition. Forming a unity between these three aspects; strength, wisdom, and adaptation is how a true leader is shaped.

“That’s how I try to live my life and why I named my group Purists.” It makes sense.

“What about Belesis, who is she? Not Booker or even Eizea has an answer.”

Kara huffed irritably. “Should I divulge your past to every individual in WITCH.” Helena didn’t answer as she realized her rudeness. Kara sniffed. “No, I didn’t think so. We are all entitled to our own pasts. If you ever outrank Belesis in my group then you can demand it of her or you could always take the easy route and ask her directly.”

Helena sighed and bowed. “I apologize for my rudeness.”

Kara shrugged. “I understand you’re trying to determine some very important decisions. Just keep in mind that we’re civilized and try to give each other some form of rights, at least in my group.” Helena nodded.

“Now, is there anything else evident to ask me?” No … she just dispelled a lot of what Eizea had said and so easily. Now that I think about it … most of it had been directed implications that had no real merit. She played me, but much of the Houses situation still stands...

“So, what will you do now? I’ve gone over several reports,” she gestured at the pages flying around the room, “and that’s the last of who’s interested in you joining their faction.” Again … why does Kara use paper for reports, wouldn’t digital feeds? Pursing her lips, she pushed it in back of her mind and thought about Eizea’s plan. The quick path is taking Eizea’s offer, but I could also take the long dangerous route Kara’s presenting. Both decisions I’m a slave at either’s whim with different goals … I know Eizea’s goal, but not Kara’s...

“I don’t understand … why me?” Helena asked, feeling frustrated she couldn’t figure it out herself.

An impish grin lit Kara’s cheeks. “My lips are sealed—you still have a night to decide, but time’s running out,” Kara warned.

Sighing, Helena shook her head. “No, I’ve made my decision.”

“Oh—and what’ll that be?” Kara asked as she absently shifted the papers around the room to perform aerial acrobatics.

“I believe you already know my answer.”

A smirk lit Kara’s lips. “There wasn’t a doubt in my mind.” Lifting from her chair, she lifted her left hand and several strands of energy shot out, disintegrating all, but one paper. She exited the room without a word. As the door shut, the last paper came floating down to rest in front of Helena. Unfolding the paper, she read:

 

I knew your cute dimpled cheeks would lighten my band of ragtag fools—ahahaha!! I can imagine your serious face as you enter with a rumble in my stomach.

Anyways … WELCOME TO THE PURISTS!! Now get some sleep and meet me in the fifth training room at twelve o’clock today!! I think it’s time to enforce your training for the competition. I’ve set the alarm on your HCID … don’t worry, you’ll wake up.

NOW RUN OFF TO BED!!!

 

Helena sighed. My journey to join a faction begins. Checking her HCID, she found it twelve-three AM. Kara times things perfectly; I’ll learn a lot just from her example and I didn’t even recognize her intrusion into my device...

Heading back to her room, she found a ladies room along the way and went inside. Finishing, she found her door frame had been replaced with an automatic sliding door and several people were fixing the wall paneling, trying to get the door and slippers out. They work very fast.

Pressing the panel to open the door, she entered her room, the door shutting behind her. Sliding next to Belesis, she quickly fell off to the first voluntary sleep she’d had in days.

4