B1 — 31. Rainbow Convergence
152 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First stopping off at the ladies room; Helena got a water bottle from the cafeteria and pulled up the HCID’s map.  After going over the plan a few times and unable to find the first training area, she had to ask a passing employee, discovering it was just recently constructed.  Taking the man’s directions, she entered a hallway that didn’t show up on the map. It must be very new to not show up on the floor plans; they were updated four weeks ago.

Kara was leaning up against a wall; she smiled as Helena rounded the junction point.  “Took a bit longer than I expected, Vixy. I presume you had a few things to take care of?”

Helena nodded studying Kara’s new attire.  When does she have the time to change and sleep?  She showed off a dark blue and white striped crochet long sleeve short v-cut top that formed around her body, dark gray tights, and black boots.

Moving to stand beside Kara, she let people filter in and out of the room as she waited.  From the people coming in and out, she determined the first training room was huge. Pursing her lips, Helena glanced up at Kara.  “Are there more preparations before the competition starts?”

Kara huffed.  “Well, this entire section wasn’t here a few weeks ago.  They’re putting the finishing touches on it now. Ridiculous really, but what Tenzen wants, he gets.”

Constricting her brow, Helena stared past her toward the doors.  “Isn’t this the first training area? Were all the training centers recently built, as well?”

Smirking, Kara lifted an eyebrow.  “Nope. You must be questioning the base designs.  When they were constructing this room, they just renamed all the training sections.  It also has a different name than training area whatever number, but it’s changed so often over the past week that I just refer to it as the first training area.”

“I see,” Helena said while watching a few men enter the room.

Breaking away from the wall, Kara said.  “Alright, let’s get our first view at your stage!”  Gulping, Helena followed Kara through the door; people dodged around her as they brought packages in and out, unwilling to block her path.

Getting her first look at the room, Helena was moderately impressed.  Hundreds of personnel ran around the gigantic inside stadium. It housed an octagon shaped pit.  Twenty meters deep with a length and width of a hundred and fifteen meters. Each side had large steel doors that were all open as people sprayed off walls with water.  The liquid was running down the steep fortified barriers and seeping into small brass colored drains spaced around the floor. What are they spraying off … maybe they’re coating it with something?

Over the pit’s center hung a black box that reflected the room around it; the box had a full view of the arena below.  Rising above ground level were stands with comfortable seats. They rose twenty levels and around the upper ends of the room were more overhanging stands.  Is this entire stadium going to be full?

The only break in the ground level stands was a section placed with eight seats, each enlaced with gold and showing a different color.  The Prime’s chairs, I presume.

Refreshment stands were being set up all around the area; they were preparing food for the workers and getting ready for the competition.  Large, bright lights, shone from the ceiling, walls, and overhanging stands.

“Hungry?”  Kara asked as they walked further into the interior.

Helena shook her head.  “No, I’d like to keep my stomach clear before going into the fight.”  She unscrewed her water bottle and began sipping at it to keep hydrated.

“Smart choice and look, Klen’s early as usual,” Kara said as she pointed at a boy staring down at the pit’s edge.  “He’ll probably be a little hurt that he doesn’t get a chance to show off to the President in this match. So, expect somewhat of a cold shoulder.”

Nodding, Helena walked with Kara to meet him.  He wore a dark gray v-cut over-shirt with a white under-shirt that showed its white hem, ending below his waist, slightly loose black pants, and black boots.

His eyes lit up the moment he saw Kara but quickly lost their light when recognizing Helena beside her.  He really must have some kind of grudge against me.  He seems spiteful. Is it only from not taking part in this match or something more, perhaps I draw too much of Kara’s attention?

Kara’s lips parted in a joyous mood as they met him.  “The President didn’t cut any work here, did he!”

Klen glanced around the room.  “Nope, it looks like it’ll be an interesting game.  Whatever the President has planned. Know how many contestants will be in this arena?”  His eyes moved to the black overhanging box. Helena’s focus shifted to it. The President’s Box?  Fairly big for just him and the Alpha.

Shaking her head, Kara sighed, “Who knows.  As far as I’m aware, just one, but you can never tell with him.  So, be prepared if he suddenly wants other contenders added.”

Helena nodded.  “The President will be above the action, and those chairs over there are for the Primes?”  she asked while pointing at her observations.

Kara examined the glass box.  “Yup, you’ll have to put on a good show, Vixy.”

She noticed Klen’s hardened expression at Kara’s words and took a sip at her water.  What about me rubs him the wrong way?  She examined the area below with interest.  “When will I be told the factors of the contest?”  There have to be iron or steel rods reinforcing the walls and floors; I should have the ability to at least move along them for support.  I wish it had a ceiling to use though.

Kara’s smile turned wry, and she waved at the shimmering box.  “Not until you’re already in the arena. The President likes last-minute changes to his plans; he’s a bit funny like that.”

Examining the impenetrable mask, Helena asked.  “He’s already there?”

“Mhm, and he’s looking this way.”  Kara can sense people’s visible focus that far away and even through that material?  What’s her secret with reception?

Helena’s vision shifted to Kara as her expression faltered slightly.  Her cheer diminished as they darted to the door they’d just left behind.  “Klen, take our newest member to the stands and explain everything that needs illuminating.”

Klen looked reluctant.  “Explain what?”

Kara responded without moving her eyes from the door.  “Whatever comes up.”

Huffing, Klen motioned for Helena to follow him.  Her eyes followed Kara as she moved with Klen to the baseline seats.  Kara knows something’s coming and wants us away from it.  From her tone, it must be dangerous.

Shifting her vision to Klen, she decided to test the waters.  “Will you be competing later?”

He made a disgusted sound in his throat.  “No, not ‘till the second contest … I shouldn’t have won most the preliminary matches.  Because of it, I had the opportunity to skip by this stage.”  The last portion was fueled by sarcasm.

Helena hummed as they sat down; she continued to stare in Kara’s direction.  So, this is a fighting stage worth risking your life for.  To be in front of all the Primes, the Alpha, and President, with this large crowd.  Why would winning multiple matches exclude you from this competition? Is this a losers bracket?  Taking out her quarter empty water bottle, she drank another gulp before replacing the lid.

Klen awkwardly tried starting a conversation.  “So—how’s your time been with Kara?”

Helena shrugged.  “Edifying...”

She cut off, dropping her water bottle as a radiant beam of orange energy blasted from the hallway entrance, engulfing Kara.   However, the light seemed to be deflected sideward as lightning exploded around her and the rod of energy slid across the ground and into a wall.  The concrete was disintegrated as the molten strip showed the building’s interior.

A sonic boom resounded around the area with deafening clarity as the energy faded, leaving a dark brownish haze.  Kara stood in the same location, lightning sparking around her. There was a glowing crescent scar in front of her that moved toward the molten stone wall.

The smog around Kara suddenly lifted into the air with the ventilation filtration system kicking in.  What was that beam?  It was powerful, extremely powerful; it liquefied concrete on impact … no, before impact, and with pure heat.  “What’s going on?”  Helena asked, ready to leap into the arena and dart through the steel doors.

Klen’s face was ashen beside her.  “Cassandra,” He whispered.

Out of the cloud came a thin black-haired woman in her mid to late twenties.  She had golden brown skin, long hair that hung down her back, arched low-thin eyebrows, a thin upturned nose, and smooth full lips.  Clothed in a red gown with a slit in the side; her hair blew around her with the shifts in air pressure as her dress blew backward, illustrating modest curves against the rippling fabric.  The room became deadly silent as workers and guests locked eyes with the Red Prime. Why did she attack Kara?  Are Primes allowed to fight each other?

Kara’s threatening voice cut through the hushed atmosphere.  “What’s the meaning of this, Cassie?”

Cassandra’s lips curled and her high pitched answer came with an edge of exhilaration.  “I just wanted to greet the great prodigy properly; I haven’t seen you in quite a while.”

Kara’s vision narrowed, and she sighed.  “With the President in the area, fights between Primes are...”

Cassandra laughed halfway through Kara’s declaration.  “You know that wasn’t an actual attack.”

Helena sensed someone appear in the stand behind her.  A Teleporter?  Shifting her eyes to the side, she warily welcomed the newcomer.  “Salutations.”

A soft chuckle emanated from the stranger, but a strong man’s voice spoke.  “Greetings, Kara’s pups. Cassandra has such and foul personality, too heated.  I think someone should step in—and it looks like the mediator has arrived.” His voice shifted with amusement.

Klen looked back and in a breathless tone said.  “Fatchna, it’s a…” He cut off as another large orange beam shot in front of Cassandra’s right hand, and a sharp blur of white lightning danced from around Kara, both propelling toward each other.

Helena’s eyes opened with surprise as the space between the energies warped as they were emitted.  The two forces shifted trajectory, spinning around the deforming space in a spiraling circle. They struck each other, causing an explosion that expanded, but then swiftly halted to be sucked back into the bent void to disappear.  After the dazzling show faded, it showed the ground beneath a blackened concave scar.

A familiar heated voice emanating softly around the area as Eizea stepped through the demolished wall.  “Cassie, please stop acting like a spoiled brat and behave yourself; you’re in the presence of the President and Alpha.”  She was flourishing in a royal blue sleeveless dress.

Cassandra’s head tilted to stare at the Blue Prime and spat.  “Eizea—what an unpleasant sight … are you a blueberry?” The saliva struck the ground and started to sizzle, sending puffs of black smoke flowing into the air.

Eizea huffed as she placed her hands on her hips.  “Clean up your lingering radiation; I detest having to redirect it.”

Helena sensed the man behind her vanish, and Klen looked back with a slight tremble.  Cassandra didn’t respond to Eizea’s demand. She shifted her weight and put her left hand on her hip.  “What if I refuse?” She asked, raising her head high.

“Well—it would be disrespectful to the President’s guests.  I doubt he’d start the competition with radiation poisoning hovering about.”  Eizea said with a shrug, and her eyes shifted to Kara. “Also … Kara, did you have to redirect that little firework right at me?  I thought Cassie had picked a fight and in the middle of the base. I was quite perturbed.”

Helena’s eyes shifted to the chairs as three men appeared in them.  I didn’t even see them arrive.  Did the Teleporter bring them in … the Teleporter’s sitting in the Yellow Prime’s seat?  Klen called him Fatchna and those Banana Glee members mentioned a Fatchna.

Fatchna was muscular, a little below two meters tall, and in his mid-twenties.  He had a pointed chin, tanned skin, and blond hair that flicked upwards to the left side, leaving his forehead clear.  She had seen his blue almond-shaped eyes that were below his thick eyebrows when he’d appeared behind her. He had an aquiline nose and bow-shaped lips.  Wearing a course blue folded collar button-up long-sleeve shirt with the cuffs folded back and black course pants; he studied the scene unfolding with interest.

Next to Fatchna sat a large black skinned man in the Green’s seat.  He stood taller than two meters, had a muscular physique, and had a brooding demeanor.  He had a rectangular face with a clef in his chin. Without hair, his skin reflected the bright lights with smooth white tones.  The man’s low eyebrows were drawn as he stared at the arena below, his large nose turned in disgust, and his large lips pulled into a grimace.  He was clothed in a very thick gray shirt, heavy dark brown knee shorts, and large sandals covered his feet. That must be Brock, the oldest Prime.

Her eyes moved to the last male by Kara’s white chair.  He was in his late teens; he sat in the Orange Prime’s seat.  And Colin.  Colin was thin and a few centimeters shorter than Fatchna.  His thin lips were pulled back into a smile that emphasized his large straight chin and thin cheeks.  He had fair skin, thin partially brushed hair that covered his ears, close, thick, low brows, and a straight nose.  He wore a dark gray collared long-sleeved shirt and blue course pants.

Eizea finished her sentence as Helena finished examining the Primes.  “You could have directed it at Fatchna or Brock. Why choose me?” Fatchna laughed heartily from his seat, and Brock shook his head tiredly, shifting to examine the scene with a bored expression.

Kara shrugged.  “I could have, but I wasn’t sure what they’d do with it.”

Helena licked her lips.  “All these are Primes I assume?”

Klen took a deep breath as adrenaline pumped through his veins and his heart raced.  “Yes. Cassandra has one of the rarest abilities WITCH knows about; she’s a Nucleokinetic.  She can manipulate the atomic particles of nuclear radiation. Including Strong Force and Weak Force, she’s extremely powerful and hot-tempered.  However, it’s a very consuming ability and requires a lot of Focus. She also puts off weak waves of radiation as her natural field. She doesn’t appear in the open too often.

“Eizea’s a Gravitokinetic, gravity manipulation.  Between Kara, Cassandra, and Eizea; you have the four forces of the universe ... pretty daunting.”

Helena nodded silently as she watched the Prime’s glare at each other.  The three women turned to scowl at Sevilla as she passed Cassandra from the doorway.  Cassandra’s face turned scarlet, and she yelled, “What did you say, Sevilla? Children!  You want to say that to my face!”

Sevilla slowed to a stop and turned to look into Cassandra’s eyes.  The stone around her liquefied and lifted into sharp spikes, turning a deep red, they pointed toward the Red Prime.  “You—challenging?” Sevilla asked, still in her emotionless voice.

Cassandra’s expression darkened as her face turned serious, but her answer came in the glowing orange energy that started to pulsate around her body.  Hot air began to sweep across the area as Kara’s lightning moved to enclose the four, likely redirected the radiation. The sound was becoming deafening.

Fatchna appeared in the center of the group, between all four women.  His arms held out and a wide grin on his face. Much of the energy vanished, the bright energy around Cassandra and Kara only extending a few yards before disappearing.  “Ladies, please don’t fight. Even though it gives me great pleasure to see you four getting along so well, the President and Alpha are watching us.” He finished with a flourishing bow at the glass.  He’s quite the showman.  Coming in and dampening the mood, while also providing a slight display of amusement.  He must be somehow teleporting their energy elsewhere.

Klen’s voice was hoarse.  “Sevilla’s a Terrakinetic and Fatchna’s some kind of Teleporter, but I don’t know his particular ability.”  I don’t know what a Terrakinetic is; it obviously has to do with ground like materials.

Eizea huffed.  “Fatchna,” she said dryly, “finally stepping in to take the glory?”

Fatchna chuckled.  “Not at all my, dear!  However, if this escalates and you four quite playing around ... it’ll turn the entire northern continent into a wasteland.  I doubt the Alpha would inertly sit by. I’m looking after your health!”

“That’s Colin in your head,” Klen said with a gulp.

Helena lifted an eyebrow.  “What?”

“Didn’t you hear him in your head?”

Confused, Helena looked over at Colin.  “Is the man in the Orange seat a Telepath?”

Klen was looking at her incredulously as he turned to face her.  “Colin’s not just a Telepath; he’s the most powerful Telepath in the world!  In fact, he’s more than a Teleparth; he’s a Mentokinetic.”

I’ve never heard of a Mentokinetic.  “What’s the difference?”  Helena asked.

Klen shook his head with disbelief.  “A Mentokinetic is different in the way that they can manipulate dreams, behaviors, emotions, memories, sensations, personalities, subconscious, primal instinct shifts, make illusions, and even plain mind control.”

Helena narrowed her eyes as she examined Colin.  That sounds more dangerous than anything I’ve heard today.  He’s also able to project his thoughts at this distance and likely to everyone.  “That’s a very dangerous ability.”

“What’s with you...”  Klen cut off as Colin’s annoyed voice came resounding around the silent room.  “Kara … your field is as infuriating as ever. Even I cannot penetrate it without extreme effort … and I’m not willing to put forth that Focus at this moment.  I see you’ve gained a protégé with the same ability. It must be exciting for you!” His eyes shifted to Helena. “Fatchna’s right. You four can calm your emotional discharge for the President and Alpha.”  They always seem to emphasize the word Alpha.

Klen had a shocked expression as he stared at her.  I guess he’s stunned that I’m resistant against Telepaths and even Mentokinetics.

Brock’s hard agitated voice boomed around the arena.  “Can you all take your chairs so we can be done with this weak—catfight?  I have places to be!”

Klen moved closer to Helena to whisper.  “Brock’s considered an Agrokinetic, and he’s the longest living Prime in over eighty years.”

Helena hummed with interest.  “He can manipulate agriculture?  What can you do with that ability that makes him strong enough for a Prime’s position and have so much weight to his word?”

Klen shivered.  “That’s the odd part.  From what I know, he can grow plants and mutate them into strange alterations of their former selves.  It’s a creepy ability, because of how vague it really is. I’ve heard that he has a bizarre fighting style.”

Helena’s tone was low and wondering as she stared up at the overhead box.  “All of their abilities are exceptionally powerful … the Alpha keeps a handle over all of them?”

“Yup,” Klen said as he studied the Primes, his shivers starting to ease.

“A true marvel,” Helena whispered.  What kind of ability does the Alpha have?  Someone has to know.

Cassandra stomped off to the indentations in the stones and extracted the radiation.  The rest of the Primes began making their way to their seats; scowls were thrown like knives.  Helena pondered on the experience with a cold expression. I need to surpass these titans.  I’m in for an arduous road.

4