Chapter 11: Afternoon of September 20th, 362 (Alice)
566 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A twelve year old Alice gracefully crossed the study, books balanced on top her head. The watching tutor nodded in unsurprised satisfaction. "Perfect as always. Well then, let us move on to dance. As mentioned last week, today we shall practise the Ofbarian waltz. I shall take the male part."

Alice joined in silently, quickly picking up the unfamiliar steps. But at this the tutor did show some surprise. "It is unusual for you to not already have familiarized yourself with the dance before the start of our lesson. Did you not get a chance to look over the steps since last week?"

"I simply prioritized studies which will be more useful to me in the future. Is my dance performance not satisfactory?"

The tutor was somewhat taken aback. "Yes, you're picking it up quickly enough that I do not doubt you will have mastered it before the end of today's lesson, but please understand that as queen you will be involved in foreign affairs, and I can assure you that understanding the culture of visiting diplomats will be of high importance."

Alice kept a neutral expression, as if what she were saying was obvious. "That would be true if I were queen, however I will not be permitted to be so. I must therefore prioritize preparation for my inevitable abandonment by Raymond."

The tutor looked aghast. "Prince Raymond has no say in this matter. The marriage partners of nobility are decided by the head of the house, as you well know. It is not the place of the children to gainsay."

"I did not say he would break the engagement, merely that I will not be queen. For me to be queen, Raymond would have to be king. Raymond being king would imply him to be the head of his household. I can assure you that were Raymond to be crowned king, I would be the first person he would dispose of."

"I... I know he is not fond of you, but that's... You should not say such things."

"So I should just quietly accept my fate?"

"No. I mean... I... I'm sure you're worrying over nothing."

Alice sighed. Why the adults insisted on treating children as if they had no minds of their own was baffling. She knew what both sets of parents were hoping to gain from this setup, but it was obvious that it was never going to work long term however much they tried to force it. If she wanted to get out of this alive and well, she was going to have to take matters into her own hands.

23