Chapter 9 – Preceding The Storm
570 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New Chapter! Hope you all enjoy it!

Chapter 9 – Preceding The Storm

Nick spent the early morning hours talking with Matilda. Even after giving him her real name, she asked him to continue the charade and to keep calling her by that name. She also requested that he treat her as normal...something Nick had no issues with. This was simple enough for him as he wasn't much of a fan of official court speak anyway.  

She regaled Nick with her personal history after a little prodding. Matilda was born in the 8 Leaf Empire to the Emperor and the 6th Queen Consort. She grew up among powerful people, all with hidden agendas, and decided it was not the life for her. She had come here over 200 years ago when power struggles for the throne were at their peak in the 8 Leaf Empire. Having no interest in becoming empress, she decided to further her magical studies and was actually supposed to go to our High Academy's Advanced Magician School. 

"I fell in love with this Kingdom and its people. You are all genuinely nice to each other and the corruption was minimal. It seemed like, to the people of the Remington Kingdom, helping others was more important than helping oneself. It was truly eye-opening and new to someone who had come from a nation filled with schemes and ploys..." Matilda explained.

After just a year, she had asked the King, my Great Grandfather, if she could join the royal mages instead of attending the academy. She has served us faithfully ever since and has, for the most part, been forgotten by her family in the 8 Leaf Empire. Rather than being upset by this, she is happy that she could, "Avoid their bullshit." as she said. 

The 8 Leaf Empire is located on the giant, mountainous, forest continent to our North-East. It is owned by the 8 Elven Tribes and their Godly Blessed Emperor. In eons past, the 8 tribes warred with each other until a warrior king conquered and united them all. With the elves being such a long-lived race, they have only had 3 Emporers. The first was the Warrior King Leondas, the second was his first son Wyninn, and the third was the cause of the unrest 200 years ago. The new Empress is actually the 3rd Daughter of the former Emperor Wyninn. She lead a bloody campaign for the throne that left many questioning her authority. That being said, since she ascended, she has been nothing but a peaceful and benevolent ruler...At least on the outside.

"She is a snake," Matilda says simply about her own sister. "While she does one thing, three others happen in the shadows. I pray you never meet her."

"Pretty sure I already did," Nick admits and regales her of his travels on the 8 Leaf Continent. He and his companions wanted to stay longer after saving the continent from a destruction event, but they were assaulted by no less than 30 different groups of assassins during their stay, so they left after only visiting a month. He had met the Empress once during a thank-you feast held in their honor...which was spoiled when a group of 20 assassins attacked them...

"Knowing my sister, Jastira, that was probably an intentional ploy to make you leave, lest you discover some of their darker secrets..." Matilda explains with a sigh and a shake of her head.

They spent the rest of the early morning chatting and she offers to help Nick when he says he needs to start making breakfast plates. She transforms back into her Matilda disguise, something she created about 10 years ago so the humans don't get suspicious of her, and Nick was thrilled that she can materialize more clothing as well. She had a lot of fun teasing him by showing skin now and then, and Nick found himself in a constant state of embarrassment. It was a memorable night, to be sure.

* | * | *

When the rest of the castle woke, the staff were surprised by Nick's admonishment of them for showing up to work, despite his announcement last night. He sent them home to enjoy their mornings off with spare pastries he had made expecting them to come. They all thanked him and several of the women sent him shy smiles or bold winks. Nick just smiled back and ignored them. He wasn't a stickler on position and was more than willing to flirt with whoever caught his attention until he picks a wife, but there was a time and a place for that and while he was working, he had a singular focus of completing that work. 

Matilda retired to her room after an hour or so of helping Nick, but Nick stayed up all night making as many different dishes as he could remember. He started with Breakfast, but when he finished that by 5 AM he decided to tackle brunch and lunch as well. By 8 AM he was finished and enjoyed a rejuvenating coffee to help wake him up. 

Truth be told, Nick didn't need to sleep anymore. His magical recovery rate and enhanced body made sleep a relaxing activity rather than a necessity. Still, he very much enjoyed his sleep, so he was planning on leaving in the early afternoon and sleeping the rest of the evening and into the next day. The bed and sheets he had were both magical items and he honestly couldn't live without them. You don't know sleep until you have had magically enchanted sleep. He had full control over his dreams and could do whatever he wanted in them. It was honestly addicting and Nick had to fight off his comrades more than a few times when he found them sleeping in his bed without his knowing. 

'Jester was the worst. He would disappear for 5 minutes and then I would run into my tent and find him sleeping in my bed...He just missed his wife and daughter, however, so I let him have his moments...sometimes...It's still my bed, you know!'

After reminiscing for a while longer, Nick heard the pitter-patter of small feet and turned to see Rose, Lily, and Micheal all peeking into the dining room. He smiled at them and waved them over to the new tables that had been filled with all kinds of breakfast, brunch, and lunch foods. He even had enough time and forethought to make a drink bar for everyone this time, minus anything alcoholic...

'Still, I bet Mothers would love a Mimosa...' 

"Alright kids," Nick started and ignored the indignant squawk from Rose, "There are a ton of options available, but you have all day to enjoy them. Start with the food over there. For those with a sweet tooth, I suggest trying the crepes or powdered sugar pancakes over there." Nick says pointing at the south side of the breakfast table. "For those looking for something a bit more savory, try the eggs, ham, toast, and bacon over there. After you pick a main dish, move across the way and pick out a drink from this table. The tastes are the same, the sweeter drinks are near the south side and the more bitter or savory flavors are on the North."

They each immediately rush for the breakfast table, beyond excited, but Lily suddenly freezes and slowly moves over to Nick. She tugs on his pants and he crouches down to be closer to her. Before he has a chance to say anything, she throws her arms around him and squeezes him tight.

"Thank you for dinner last night and for such a wonderful breakfast, Brother Nick." She says with a giggle as he picks her up and spins her around while hugging. He sets her down so she can get back to it but sees Micheal is there to offer the same. Nick does the same move with Micheal and, though his laughter is more subdued, he still thanks Nick all the same. Rose looks over her shoulder at Nick, but only offers a small nod and a soft, "Thank you." before digging into the bacon. Nick smiles at his family as he settles back down with his coffee.

Over the next hour, they were joined by the rest of the family. Mothers Regina and Heather came down first and were thrilled with the options. After getting something light to eat, Nick introduced them to Mimosas and...slightly regretted it as they claimed it to be their new favorite breakfast drink. 

'I hope they drink it in moderation...oh well.'

Nick's father came next and he loved the steak and eggs with a cold glass of milk. An odd combination, but he is the King, so Nick was not going to say anything. Brother Matthew was the last to join and he grabbed some quick food as he informed everyone he was going to pick up his girlfriend and bring her over to try the food. 

There was a bit of a tense atmosphere when Mother Regina wondered why he didn't ask if it was alright first, but Nick did his best to defuse the situation by saying there was more than enough food for everyone. Matthew apologized and asked permission properly, which he was granted. This, once again, surprised everyone, but this time it had nothing to do with Nick. Matthew was now able to think rationally concerning Bella, the Baroness' daughter, and so he was able to realize the error of his previous action and apologize.

Just to be safe, Nick put an enchantment on Matthew's clothes to negate Bella's power. If he wanted to hang out with her, he was going to hang out with her without all the "Please love me!" aura. Nick had no intention of interfering further than that, however. 

'Brother must figure it out on his own. He is gonna be King...it should be fine, right?'

"Ah, Brother Matthew, I have a matter to discuss with you regarding my recent visit to the Barnes household."

The happy mood in the room vanished with this statement. Mother's faces both soured and the King looked like his had turned into granite. Lily and Micheal didn't notice, in their own versions of heaven, but Rose watched on as she munched on Bacon and sausages.

"Relax, I was able to mend the fence, as it were. They were so pleased with my gifts that they declared our feud over...as long as Matthew bows down, kisses Scarlet's feet, and apologizes publicly, that is. So no worries. We are all set to put this behind...us..." Nick trails off as he sees a silent war of egos is being played in front of him. 

Mothers Regina and Heather as well as Father stare down Matthew as he grinds his teeth in embarrassment and anger.

"Fine. But the foot kissing has to be done in private. It will hurt our kingdom's honor if that is seen by the public." Father announces with a firm tone.

"But! Father! How can I do that if I am expected to be a King? I am fine with apologizing, and I do feel it is right that I do, but this is all too much..." Mattew tries, but fails miserably. 

"Too much!? Like shaming and banishing one of our greatest allies!?!" Mother Regina explodes at her son, "Your actions should have seen you stripped of your title as prince. We considered it heavily, especially now that Nick has returned, but your brother fought for you to stay as the Crowned Prince and we do not wish to push that burden onto Micheal. Know this, Matthew Fredrick Robel Remington, if you do not apologize EXACTLY AS NICK SAYS, you will be disowned and banished from this kingdom. You are on such thin ice right now that I can hear it cracking. Think very carefully about your next words."

If there is one rule in the Remington household, it is that you do not anger Mother Regina. She was both the goddess and the devil of this castle and no one went against her without a very good reason. She held the number one position in the noble circles and a quiet dismissal from her could see a family ruined if she so wanted. It was even rumored that she was the real ruler, though Nick knows first hand this is not the case. Mother Heather was often her mediator to stop her from blowing up on ignorant or annoying people. She has saved many lives like that. 

The King stares at his wife for several long moments before sighing and saying, "It is as she said. I will not interfere from this point on. It is up to you to decide what you want to do my son, but the stakes have been set. Part of being a good King is knowing when to set aside your pride for the good of the Kingdom. Yes, this will hurt your prestige, but at least you will be seen as able to reflect on your mistakes and face your wrongdoings with honor."

Matthew stands still and thinks over his father's words before sighing and hanging his head. "Very well. I will do as you say, Nick."

"Very good. I will let them know. I will also request that the foot kissing is done in private. I don't think they will mind." Nick says and claps. "Now, let's get back to enjoying good food and good company!"

Everyone settles down with more food and drinks and time passes by as the family eats together.

The King suddenly tilts his head and frowns. "Nick, you said you gave them gifts. What gifts did you give to the Barnes family?"

"Oh, those? Nothing much. Just a sword that will protect Scarlet from any melee attack as she casts magic and an ice dragon golem that is equally powerful to an ancient dragon. Just some small trinkets, really."

Everyone in the room: "..."

"Nick...I would like to request that you do not give any other gifts that threaten the sovereignty of this kingdom, please." Mother Heather says slowly.

"Of course, Mother Heather. I mean it truly when I say the gifts are no big deal, however. I am still, technically, in control of that golem and I made the sword I gave her. They cannot be used against us...though I somehow forgot to inform them of this..." Nick nods to his mother in recognition of her point but gives her a winning smile after explaining the situation. 

Everyone in the room once more: "..."

"Hahaha! You will make a fine Duke yet, Nick." The King compliments with a boisterous laugh.  

* | * | *

After breakfast, Nick wished everyone a good morning and headed out to relax in the gardens with some tea. It was a clear and beautiful day and Nick enjoyed several quiet hours outside. A pleasant breeze blew through the air and carried with it the smell of a myriad of different flowers and flowering plants. He sat in a gazebo in the garden and was at complete peace with the world. 

It is at such a time that life likes to throw a curveball...But Nick could never have expected such a blood bath would occur so soon after his return...

"Ah, Nick! There you are! I wanted to talk about some of the dishes you put out-" Matilda

"Duke Nick! Good day to you! I was just visiting your Mothers and wondering if you had time for tea-" Scarlet

"Finally found you, brother. I wanted to introduce you to Bella-" Matthew

"I finally get to meet Prince Nick!?!" Bella

All three groups came from a different angle and yelled out at the same time before looking at one another with varying emotions. 

Nick sat there with a perfectly refined smile in place and one leg crossed over the other. He looked the perfect image of a prince...but internally...

'Oh boy. Quite the encounter. I should just stay quiet and let them sort it out...Yeah. Let's go with that.'

22