4: The Mirror
374 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remnya

Clouds vanished as the sun tickled Remnya's pale cheeks. She was glued to the car window, fascinated by the landscape. The road ahead was a thin line squeezed by immense meadows and a row of dark orange mountains on the horizon. At their bottom, the city of Crysalton rose like a dark sea of concrete and steel.

A turbulent river of rust-colored waters separated Crysalton from her birthplace—the town of Fallen Star. An immense metropolis guarded by an imposing mountain chain, climbing up to the highest slopes, painting the iron rocks with a grayish-blue tone.

The road took a steep descent into the city, where the first skyscrapers rose in the distance, dwarfing the tallest building.

A smile drew across Remnya's face. The place she had always admired from a treetop was now beneath her, embracing her into its arms.

The noon turned into evening as those monsters of steel obscured the sky. The quiet road became a busy boulevard accompanied by the roaring of engines. A faint smell of coffee and fuel fumes filled the car.

Stores and theaters glowed with dazzling LED lights and realistic holograms advertising rare products. Loud music, vendors yelling, vehicles roaring, claxons; everything was a symphony of chaos.

The slow traffic allowed Remnya to examine the crowded streets. People rushed like ants, ignoring the rampant technology around them. Their eyes were too focused on their phones, and their senses were numbed by habit.

Leaving the tumult behind, they entered a fancy neighborhood. The overwhelming technology ceased as the streets became empty.

Their car slowed in front of an iron gate. It opened, allowing them into the property. They advanced through a narrow street surrounded by violet Empress trees casting uneven shadows over moist grass.

"What is this place?" Remnya asked, not taking her eyes away from the window.

"This is the Lovecraft Mansion, young girl," Marcus said. "Your new home."

"What?" Her jaw dropped. "Are you serious?"

Marcus nodded at her through the rear-view mirror.

"No way!" She rushed to comb her hair with her fingers and adjusted her ribbon.

"There." Marcus pointed at the front. Remnya gasped as she spotted a mansion glimmering at the end of the street.

They circled a fountain with a phoenix statue that shot water in different shapes, drawing rainbows under the sunlight, and finally came to a halt in front of the mansion. Long stairs guarded by two stone lionesses led to the entrance where a woman waited for them.

Marcus opened the back door for Remnya and bowed to the mysterious woman. "She is Lady Magenta," he said, presenting her with a polite gesture of his hand.

The woman walked toward them, tiny diamonds dazzling on her heels with every elegant step. She leaned forward and took Remnya's face between her hands. "You're so beautiful," the lady said.

Remnya stared at Magenta's piercing green eyes. She was imposing and taller than her. The silk of her purple dress was tight on her curvy body, displaying a perfect figure. Her hair fell smoothly on her waist, shining with a garnet color.

Magenta scanned Remnya's horns and tail. "You are a Nephilim, right, my dear?" She caressed her left horn.

"I am not." Remnya leaned away from her touch. It was a new beginning; she didn't want to be seen as a freak again.

Magenta grinned, amused by her reaction. "What's your name?"

"Remnya."

"Such an exotic name. Marvelous!" The lady brushed a strand of hair aside. "Do you know why you are here?"

Remnya scratched her head. "Someone adopted me?"

The woman chuckled and reached out for her hand. "Come, my dear."

Remnya glanced at her hand. Multiple sapphires sparkled on her long fingers. Hesitantly, she gripped her cold hand and followed her to the mansion.

A smooth vermillion carpet welcomed Remnya into a large entrance hall, where a stair with rubies on every step invited her to the higher floors. Old rare paintings adorned the chocolate and cream-coated walls. The ceiling was of dark-red wood and glass, with gold chandeliers hanging from it. What is this place? Remnya thought as the luxury spun around her.

Magenta observed her reaction with amusement. "What do you think?" the lady asked. But Remnya stammered, trying to find the words. Magenta smiled and patted her head. "It's okay, my dear. You'll have time to get used to this."

Remnya curled her lips and looked away. She wasn't used to being left speechless.

Magenta locked her eyes on Remnya's face. She leaned closer to inspect her cheek. "Who did this to you?" the lady asked, caressing the cut on Remnya's face, left by her last fight with Liam.

A heavy silence filled the room.

"This? Uh . . . " Remnya lowered her head.

"My apologies, my lady." Marcus walked forward. "It seems like Orena had been punishing her despite my warnings. I'm at fault for not being severe enough."

The lady remained expressionless, but her eyes pierced through Marcus like knives. She looked back at Remnya. "Is that true, my dear?" Her voice was calm and cold.

Remnya touched the cut on her face. "This is nothing, don't worry." She laughed nervously.

Magenta stared at her for a moment and chuckled. "Of course." Without taking her eyes away from Remnya, she beckoned at someone with a hand gesture. A young girl crossed the hall and stood by Magenta's side. "This is Maria, one of my most trustable maids."

Maria smiled and bowed to Remnya. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Hi." Remnya bowed clumsily, glancing at the beautiful girl. She couldn't be older than twenty.

"Maria will show you the way to your room," Magenta said, holding Maria's arm. "I'm confident you will like it."

Remnya raised her eyebrows.

"Please, feel at home, my dear." Magenta beamed at her. "I will meet you at lunch, so we can get to know each other better. Okay?"

Remnya blinked in confusion and then bobbed her head. "Thank you, miss," she said and allowed the maid to guide her toward a long hallway.

Magenta admired the young Nephilim until she disappeared behind the doorway.

*°*°*

The mansion was a luxurious maze for Remnya; the maid had taken her through multiple hallways. Maria walked graciously in front of her. A velvet ribbon swayed on the back of her frilly dress. Her peanut brown hair was short, and her bright lavender eyes matched her warm smile.

They crossed a large courtyard surrounded by a multicolored garden, where a fountain of crystalline water stood out in the middle. The cold, humid air of the morning lingered there, along with violet hummingbirds flapping their wings around black roses.

At the end of the garden, wide crystal doors led back inside toward the dorms.

An endless corridor with bizarre paintings on smooth beige walls, the carpet was dark red like wine, and a soft perfume of roses and citrus floated in the air. A girl stood halfway in the corridor, waiting for them. She had her eyes locked on Remnya.

"She is Brisa," Maria said as they stopped in front of her.

Remnya lifted her eyes at her. Brisa was taller and thinner than Magenta. She looked foreign with a very exotic beauty; long hair like black silk, dark bronze skin, and a mystical golden gaze.

"I can't believe my eyes," Brisa said in a strange accent as she leaned closer to scan Remnya from head to toe. She grabbed and pinched her cheeks. "Amazing, her skin is so soft. No wonder she's so expensive!"

"Hey!" Remnya shoved her hands away and scowled. "What do you mean?"

"Brisa is just being silly, young lady!" Maria stepped in the middle of them, pushing Brisa away.

"Jeez! I didn't know Nephilims had such a bad temper," Brisa sneered with a shrug.

"I am not a Nephilim!" Remnya yelled.

"The important thing, young lady!" Maria interrupted with a big smile and stepped on Brisa's foot with her heels. "We have a beautiful room ready for you!"

Remnya frowned and gave Brisa a sidelong glance.

"Brisa, please, can you show us the room?" Maria asked.

Brisa squinted at Maria as she massaged her foot. "This way." She pushed the door next to her. Maria inspected the room and gestured for Remnya to come inside.

Remnya's jaw dropped at the sight of such a large room. It had a wide bed covered by fluffy burgundy blankets and lustrous Blackwood furniture on every corner. The walls and ceiling combined an elegant mix of pastel red and black, her favorite colors. She noticed the place had a TV, a laptop, an AC, and a bathroom so big it could fit another room inside.

"What do you think?" Maria asked, holding her hands together.

Remnya admired every corner, unable to speak as she breathed the soft scent of wood and lemon-vanilla floating in the air. She looked at Maria and stammered, "Really?"

She nodded. "This will be your room from now on."

"This is awesome!" Remnya shouted, running to stroke the bedsheets.

"Yay!" Maria beamed as Brisa rolled her eyes. "Now, please make yourself comfortable, young lady. Brisa will come for you later and show you the way to the dining room."

Remnya nodded, distracted, as she checked her big closet, full of new clothes. When the girls left, Remnya jumped on the bed, bouncing and burying her skinny body in the soft covers. She stared at the ceiling and smiled as the room embraced her.

*°*°*

Zeo

Zeo was reading in the corner of his room, the safest place now that Remnya was gone. He'd found an old book about martial arts in the library and dreamed of becoming as good as Remnya at fighting. He wanted to protect others too.

Kids at the orphanage were scary, but few dared to mess with Rem. He always remembered the time the older boys locked her in the bathroom. He saw everything and could do nothing. When everything was over, she just laughed it off. 'This is nothing, don't worry,' she had said as her mouth bled. From that day onward, Zeo hated himself for being weak and a coward, but he wanted to change it. He had to.

A loud knock on the door made Zeo jump and drop the book. "Lunchtime!" A sharp voice yelled. "Are you there, four-eyes? Go now!"

Zeo sighed as a shiver ran down his spine. The kids told him Liam had been released from the basement that morning. As expected, the adults didn't care about his behavior, and the fact that Butter didn't die was enough to let that monster roam freely again.

If the caregivers weren't around, Liam would have his revenge on him, Zeo knew. However, he was starving; he had given his last meal to Rem the night before.

Zeo took a deep breath, clenched his fists, and opened the door. I can't be a coward forever; Remnya will be disappointed. He walked down the long hallways that felt like the labyrinth of death.

The dining hall was loud and messy as usual. Kids ran from all directions, food and tableware flew above his head, and to his distress, no sight of the caregivers. He peeked at every corner and shuffled toward the food table. Since he was late, there wasn't much left to choose. He grabbed a plate and put on mashed potatoes with a chicken leg. Zeo rushed to eat where he stood, staying alert in case Liam came for him.

"Boo!" Someone pinched his sides.

Zeo jumped and flipped his plate, dropping the food. He whirled with a pale face, but his heart slowed when he saw Amy standing behind him. "Please don't do that," he mumbled, trying to catch his breath.

"Sorry." Amy giggled, scratching a strange bump on her head. He sighed and crouched to pick up his food from the floor. "Liam and the others aren't around." She smiled.

"Are you sure?" Zeo scanned the hall for the fifth time. "Does that mean he's still locked in the basement?"

Amy shrugged and grabbed Zeo's hand. "Come!" She dragged him to a table in a corner, where they sat with other little girls. His face turned red, thinking about how much the boys would make fun of him, but he was relieved Liam wasn't around. He hoped he finally got what he deserved for hurting Remnya.

Zeo finished his food in silence while the girls laughed and talked. He was used to eating alone or with Remnya and Amy and was glad the little girl still enjoyed his company, unlike most kids. Now that Rem is gone, I am the one who has to protect Amy. He wiped his mouth and ordered the tableware meticulously.

"Four-eyes!" a girl said. Zeo turned and saw one of Remnya's ex-roommates standing behind him with a smirk. Her name was Gina. A fifteen-year-old girl with blonde dyed hair with faded pink tips and lots of make-up. "Is it true what they say? The horned witch got adopted by a rich family?"

"Yes," Zeo said sharply, looking away.

"So, it's true." She gritted her teeth and faked a smile. "Anyhow, four-eyes. Wanna play a game with us?"

"No." Zeo turned his back to her. He wasn't falling for it again; the last time, they had stolen his pants and glued his glasses to the back of his head.

"If you come with me, I'll give you a kiss." Gina wrapped her arms around him and rubbed her cheeks on his face. Zeo hated her perfume and was scared of her, yet he blushed. He tried to move away from her grasp, but she held him tighter.

"He doesn't like girls!" Amy yelled, scowling at her.

Zeo wished she didn't say anything. "He doesn't?" Gina asked. "Well, the boys say you are gay."

"That's not true!" Zeo raised his voice, his heart hammering faster as sweat rolled down his back.

"Then show it!" She rubbed her fingers on his lips, her long nails pink and bright. "Come with me."

"Why? What do you want?" He kept trying to lean away from her.

"I want you." She bit the tip of his long ear, making him flinch. His reaction made everyone watching them burst out laughing.

"He doesn't wanna go! Piss off!" Amy threw a paper ball at her face.

"Hey! You little shit!" Gina yelled and tried to slap Amy's hands, but she dodged it.

"Leave him alone, clown face." Amy threw a meatball at her and stuck out her tongue.

"Okay, that's it! I'm gonna beat your ass!" Gina bolted toward Amy.

But Zeo grabbed her arm, stopping her.

Gina turned around and slapped Zeo with full force, sending his glasses flying away. His cheek burned, but he didn't let go of her. He knew she meant her words and would hurt Amy. It wouldn't be the first time. "Let me go, stupid four-eyes!"

"Run!" Zeo screamed at Amy, struggling to hold her back, but the little girl was more stubborn than Remnya. She kept throwing food at Gina, fueling her anger. Gina buried her nails in Zeo's face and punched him several times. Her punches were soft compared to the boys', but her nails stung like needles in his skin.

The scene attracted all the kids, who surrounded them to watch, laughing and cheering for them to fight. Most insulted Zeo and cheered for Gina to beat him, but a few others found amusement in supporting him.

The pain was getting worse, and his face was covered in blood, but he had decided not to let her hurt Amy. Her arm began to slip away from his hands, so in a desperate attempt to stop her, Zeo reached out to hold her shoulder, but his hand accidentally landed on Gina's face.

That's the last thing he remembered.

Silence filled his mind, and in one second, his head was on the ground, sharp pain traveling through his left side. Liam had smashed his head with a metal pipe. All Zeo could see and hear was the crowd going crazy and a tall shadow over him, kicking him.

"Damn four-eyes! Hitting girls now?" Liam said.

Zeo tried to yell 'No!', but words didn't come out. Liam and his friends dragged him to the backyard. He heard the kids shouting his name along with insults and Amy crying for them to stop. He tried to react but couldn't move; someone or something was restraining his arms and legs.

One punch, and another, and another. It hurt a lot at first, but after a few minutes, the pain became numb. Zeo lifted his green eyes and peered at Remnya, staring at him. See Rem? I'm not a coward. He smiled.

I . . . am not a coward . . .

I am . . . not . . . a coward . . .

*°*°*

14