5: Lights And Shadows
315 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remnya

Noon arrived sooner than expected. The time flew by in the mansion. Remnya was still figuring out how her laptop worked when Brisa came for her. The maid took her to the dining hall without saying a single word. She seemed in a bad mood, so Remnya didn't dare to start a conversation.

The dining hall was massive. Remnya scanned the place in awe; every room was an exciting experience, a new world she had only seen in her dreams. Brisa told her to sit and wait for Magenta, but curiosity drove her to examine every corner. The place had a great view of the garden, thanks to the immense crystal windows surrounding it. Sunbeams warmed up the interior as they mirrored on the wine marble floor, giving the hall a divine glow.

A sharp sound of heels echoed from the doorway throughout the silent hall. Remnya rushed to sit and adjust her wrinkled dress.

Magenta walked into the hall, each step leaving a trail of elegance behind her. The white silk of her long dress danced around her legs while the sun's reflection cast a radiant aura on her figure. She looked like a goddess. Magenta sat at the end of the table and beamed at Remnya, who returned a twist of her lips resembling a smile.

A soft essence of mango mixed with roses reached Remnya's nose. She smells like she looks.

Magenta crossed her arms on the table and locked her eyes on Remnya, analyzing her every move in silence. Remnya looked away, trying to escape her green gaze, and shifted in her seat.

"You don't have to feel nervous, my dear," the lady said in a soothing voice.

"I'm not." Remnya forced herself to keep eye contact, but Magenta's eyes felt like needles.

The lady smiled at her reaction. "I know that orphanage was a bad place, but no one will hurt you here."

Remnya glanced at her and then at the vivid garden.

"Orena . . . " Magenta shook her head. "She was awful, wasn't she?"

Remnya raised her eyebrows. "Do you know the old hag—I mean, Orena?"

Magenta chuckled. "Unfortunately. That's why I sent Marcus to deal with her. I can't stand people like that."

"She was a mean hag, but," Remnya pointed at the cut on her cheek. "She didn't do this."

"Interesting." Magenta leaned forward. "Who did that to you?"

"Liam . . . He is a very annoying kid who hates my friend Zeo and me."

"Liam?" Magenta pressed her lips with her index finger. "What else did he do to you?"

"He didn't dare to bother me much, but once, he locked me in the boys' bathroom and tried to get his friend Santi to kiss me." Remnya shuddered at the thought.

The lady blinked, remaining expressionless. "Did they do anything else to you? You can trust me with anything," she assured her in a firm voice.

Remnya thought about it for a moment. "No. I punched them and kicked them, and then . . . I used a broken glass." Her voice hesitated as she dropped her gaze. "Sorry, I know that wasn't okay to do."

"No, my dear. That's quite impressive."

"Is it?" Remnya tugged her dress and looked at Magenta from the corner of her eyes. "Even if I hurt someone? I didn't mean to."

"You defended yourself. I would've done the same." Magenta's upper lip twitched. "No, maybe worse."

Remnya widened her eyes. "Really? A lady like you?"

"You can be a lady and lioness at the same time." Magenta smirked. "Men think they can do whatever they want to us. It's our duty to put them in their place sometimes."

Remnya gaped at her and then smiled. "Well, I put those kids in their place."

Magenta grinned and crossed her fingers. "You mentioned your friend Zeo too. Is he the Anglish boy?"

"Anglish?" Remnya giggled. "Zeo is just a normal boy with long ears." She tugged her ears. "I'm afraid Liam might hurt him now that I'm not there to protect him."

"Is this Liam boy dangerous?"

"Well, Liam and his ugly friends always beat Zeo for no reason, but he is very resilient. Even that time they hit him with a baseball bat. I think his head is made of steel."

Magenta clasped her hands as she closed her eyes. She stayed pensive for a moment and then spoke. "In that case. We'll see that your friend Zeo is safe from now on."

"For real? Can you do that?" Remnya stood up, placing her hands on the table.

"I can do anything, my dear." Magenta regarded her with a smug smirk.

"You're impressive, miss!"

The lady chuckled. "Please, call me Magenta. We are family now."

"But, is that all right?"

"Yes, my dear." Magenta stared deep into her crimson eyes. "A lot of things are about to change for you."

"It'll feel weird, but okay." Remnya made a long pause. "Magenta," she mumbled.

"You'll get it right soon." Magenta stifled a giggle and then gestured at the cooks waiting by the doorway. Two men in white aprons walked into the hall carrying two big plates in each hand. "Shall we eat now?" the lady asked, beaming at her.

Remnya bobbed her head eagerly, hypnotized by the delicious smell of that exotic meal.

*°*°*

Remnya woke up early that morning and pinched her arm to ensure she wasn't dreaming again. It had been one week, but she was still skeptical of her new life. She stared at her wardrobe for a while: twenty dresses, twenty-five shirts, fourteen pairs of shoes, and much more. The sight overwhelmed her. She picked the most comfortable clothes and then headed outside.

The verdant gardens and courtyards were perfect for exploring. Remnya had climbed every tree, smelled every flower, dipped her body in the fountains, and drank their waters—it tasted better than the clean water from the orphanage.

However, there were rules. Remnya wasn't allowed to leave the mansion, entering certain rooms was forbidden, and going to bed early was mandatory. That was what Magenta had told her, and Remnya didn't want to disappoint the fancy lady. It was a new start, and she had to do things right.

Strolling through the garden on a warm afternoon, she spotted Marcus standing by a Blackwood tree. He talked to a massive man, one head taller than him and broader. She didn't recognize the stranger and got closer, trying to see his face.

When the man turned to her, she flinched, widening her eyes. He was even bigger at that distance. He wore unbuttoned, dirty overalls, and a muscle shirt covered his hairy chest. His arms were thick logs, each one heavier than Remnya's body, and a thick beard darkened his broad face. Remnya froze when his penetrating black eyes locked on her. His sole presence made her skin crawl.

"On your way, monkey," Marcus said, stepping in front of him. "You're making the young lady uncomfortable."

"No, he's not," Remnya mumbled.

The big man kept a stone face and bowed to Remnya before walking away, his heavy feet shaking the ground.

"That's wasn't very nice," Remnya said, putting both hands on her hips.

"He's just a servant, young lady." Marcus shrugged. "No need to worry about his feelings."

"You need to be nicer!" She frowned at him.

Marcus stared at her, a hint of amusement on his face. "I'll try, young lady." He smiled at her.

Remnya curled her lips. Marcus was too strict and often yelled at the servants, insulting and threatening anyone who made a mistake. However, he was a different person around her. She let out a deep sigh and opened her mouth to ask something, but words didn't dare to come out.

Marcus observed her hesitant eyes for a moment. "Anything bothering you, Remnya?" he asked, leaning closer.

Remnya widened her eyes; he had never called her by her name. She lowered her gaze and rubbed her arm. "I don't know, it just feels weird when adults are nice to me. Everyone here treats me as if I was some kind of princess or something."

Marcus chuckled. "I don't know if you are a princess, but you are indeed special."

"How am I special?" She huffed. "I'm just a normal girl, okay?"

Marcus grinned and crouched in front of her. "I know it's hard to believe or even accept it, but you are a Nephilim, and as such, you're unique."

Remnya curled her lips and frowned.

Marcus ruffled her hair, caressing her horns. "I bet Orena and the kids made you believe your horns and tail were a bad thing, right?"

She looked away but didn't recoil from his touch. Unlike Magenta's cold hands, Marcus's hands felt oddly warm.

"Being a Nephilim is a wonderful gift of nature, you should know that."

"I just want to be normal, not the horned witch," Remnya said between teeth and seized her tail. "People hated me before for having horns, and now, all of sudden, everyone likes me for it? Makes no sense!"

"It doesn't have to make sense." Marcus stared deep into her eyes. "People always look down on those who are different, mostly because they're afraid of them. Afraid because of their own insecurities, afraid that person might threaten their pathetic existence or overshadow it. So, they need to make that person miserable." He placed his heavy but tender hand on her shoulder. "But, you can't allow people to make you feel bad for who you really are, can you?"

Remnya pressed her lips together, glanced at the mansion, and then back at Marcus. "I don't think I deserve all this, though, not while my friends are still there . . . "

"You know, I had been observing you from way before you came here, Remnya. You've always protected your friends, even when that meant risking your own well-being. You always tried to do the right thing." Marcus' perfect teeth gleamed under the orange sun. "You deserve the good things happening to you. You've earned it."

She fixed her eyes on the ground for a moment and sighed. "You're weird. Why are you nice to me? You don't even know me." She narrowed her eyes and pointed her finger at his face. "And don't you dare say 'cuz you are special' again!" Remnya did her best impression of Marcus' deep voice.

He rubbed his chin and stayed pensive for a moment. "I guess it's because you remind me of my girl."

"Your girl?"

He bobbed his head. "My daughter, she's around your age."

"You have a daughter? Where is she now?" Remnya tilted her head.

"Home," Marcus said, looking at the flowers swaying with the breeze. His eyes saddened.

"Why is she not with you?"

"She wouldn't be happy here with me, she's better off at home, with her mother." Marcus smiled.

Remnya saw through his smile. His sad eyes weren't so different from Zeo's or her own. She knew how it felt to miss someone dear to you. "Maybe I can meet her someday."

"You two would get along, she's just as stubborn as you."

Remnya giggled. "Tell me more about her." She sat on the ground next to Marcus' feet and beamed at him. "I want to know what the life of a normal girl is like."

Marcus regarded her with a tender smile. His hand moved on his own, trying to pat her head, but he stopped it. "Alright, young lady . . . " He sat by her, not caring about the dirt on his expensive suit. "But, you will tell me something about you afterward, deal?"

"Deal!"

*°*°*

Marcus

Twilight had set, and the chaotic melody of blue cicadas announced the end of warm days. The May bugs loved to climb up to the balcony of Magenta's office on the last floor of the mansion.

The place had a majestic view of her front garden and the city. She enjoyed relaxing there, drinking champagne, and staring at the Four Heaven Towers, four skyscrapers where multiple shopping malls operated. They glowed in four different colors at night: red, blue, green, and yellow. Only the richest shopped there.

Marcus stood still behind her, waiting for Magenta to finish her drink. He admired the colorful sight of the city, packed with buildings, blinding lights, and cars slithering like glowing ants through the streets. The Four Towers illuminated the balcony, reflecting on Magenta's cup as she stared at Marcus through the crystal.

"Did I hear right, Marcus?" she asked, sipping her drink. "Do you want to send our girl away?"

"I thought we agreed on that, my lady," Marcus said, holding his hands behind his back.

"That was before I knew the true value of a Nephilim."

"With all due respect, Karx is the best place for Remnya. Her abilities would be put to good use."

"So, you want me to send her to some army of brutes to train her? Into what? A warrior?" She sniggered.

"A girl like her could change the fate of many."

"And how do I benefit from it, Marcus?"

"They will pay a lot, my lady. I can assure you that."

Magenta stared at his cup and then back at Marcus. "We already have someone willing to pay a lot."

Marcus gulped as he clenched his fists. "He's a monster. You can't allow him to put his hands on her." He raised his voice.

"A monster willing to pay five million Dentz. I'd be too stupid to reject such a deal."

"We both know what he wants. You can't allow—"

"Whatever he wants is not my problem, Marcus!" Magenta silenced him with a piercing glare.

Marcus lowered his head.

The lady stared into the city and finished her champagne. "How do you think we built this?" she asked in a soothing voice.

"Hard work and sacrifices."

"Exactly." She strutted toward Marcus and continued her speech, "The more we want to achieve, the more we need to sacrifice . . . and the more we need to do things we don't like."

He said nothing and stared vacantly at the city.

Magenta seized his chin, forcing him to look her way. "Why are you troubled, Marcus?"

"This is not right."

"No." She shook her head. "You never cared about what is right or not. You're worried about the little Nephilim." Magenta scowled. "You're afraid and hesitating."

His dark eyes locked on hers in a long, deep gaze. "I just want us to do what is best for everyone . . . And he is not."

Magenta buried her long nails in his skin. "We are doing what is best for us, Marcus. I don't like this either, but he's our best choice." She let go of him and admired the city. "It's not just money, it's power! After this, half of this city will belong to us. Do you understand that?"

"Is it worth it?" he asked bitterly.

"It is worth it!" Magenta raised her voice, darting a contemptuous glance at him. "We will be more powerful than ever, and the price to pay for it is just . . . one girl."

Marcus tightened his lips. "Just one girl . . . "

"You never cared about anyone . . . " Magenta's voice filled with venom. Her expression darkened, hinting at an old memory that had haunted them both for years. She frowned and asked, "Why now?"

Marcus opened his mouth, but words didn't dare to come out. He hesitated and clenched his fists, knowing the true meaning of her question.

"My dear Marcus." Magenta caressed his face. "Unless you get those brutes from Karx to pay more than him, this is how we're doing our business. Understood?"

"Understood." His words were quick and sharp, trying to send that memory back to the depths of their past.

Marcus's phone rang in his pocket. He rushed to answer under the intense look of Magenta.

"Goddamit," Marcus muttered between clenched teeth and hung up. The lady's eyes penetrated his face in search of answers.

"Bad news," he said, pressing his fingers around the phone.

"Who was it?" Magenta's upper lip twitched.

"Orena." Marcus let out a deep sigh. "Something bad happened to Remnya's friend, the Anglish boy."

*°*°*

11