6: Withered Flower
466 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zeo

Unknown voices echoed in the distance, unintelligible words drilling his head, trying to reach his consciousness, a void where death seemed welcoming and called his name like an old friend.

Yet, Zeo seized the hands of life. His senses awakened, and the warmth of another opportunity filled his cold body.

It's not your time yet . . .

If you leave . . .

Remnya will be sad . . .

. . .

Everything was silent darkness when Zeo overheard the raspy voice of Orena resounding in his head. It kept growing louder until her roar was blaring right in his ears.

"Hey, four-eyes. Wake up!"

A flash blinded Zeo as he opened his eyes. He recoiled at the incandescent lights and waited a moment until his pupils adapted to his surroundings.

Finally, Zeo could recognize the blurred, round figure standing by his right. It was Orena. As he turned to his left, he saw Ellyn rubbing something on his forehead.

"What happened?" Zeo mumbled weakly.

"It seems like Liam went too far this time." Ellyn said, pressing a bandage against his head.

Dizziness and acute pain traveled throughout his skull. He realized he was lying on a bed in the infirmary. He tasted a metallic flavor in his mouth and noticed how the pain lingering in his body was intensifying.

"I can't believe you were so stupid!" Orena yelled at Zeo, his voice giving him a headache. "You deserve what happened to you!"

Zeo lowered his gaze and nodded. He would have slapped himself if his arms had had any strength left. What was I thinking? Trying to be brave?

"I gotta admit any other kid would be dead in your place, or in a coma," Ellyn said, scanning his body as if witnessing an oddity.

"Like Butter?" Zeo added, grimacing at the pain.

Ellyn nodded. "I guess Remnya was right. Your head is as hard as steel."

Zeo sighed. No matter what Remnya thinks of me. I'm still weak and a coward. "Is Amy okay?" he rushed to ask. Her cries still echoed in his mind.

"That little rat is fine," Orena answered, glaring at him. "She was here earlier but ran away scared of blood."

Zeo took a deep breath as relief seemed to spare him some pain.

The nurse finished treating his wounds while Orena smoked a cigar by the window, filling the room with a dense gray mist. The pain was intense, especially on the left side of his head, which felt like falling apart. Even thinking seemed to hurt.

"Mrs. Orena!" a caregiver called nervously from the doorway. "Someone wants to see you!"

"Who?" Orena glared at her, blowing smoke from her nostrils. "Tell them to wait."

"I tried doing that but he says it's urgent!"

The old lady hissed. "I don't care! I'm on my break right now."

"But Mrs. Orena—" Before the woman could finish her sentence, a strange man pushed her out of the way and stomped into the infirmary.

"Mr. Marcus . . . " Orena murmured, dropping her cigarette as her pupils dilated.

Cold silence engulfed the room.

Zeo observed that man for a moment until he finally recognized his face. Remnya's adoptive father, he thought. Zeo tried to sit up, but the excruciating ache made him groan in pain and sent him back to the pillow. Nonetheless, he lifted his torso, aided by his arms, and looked at the gentleman in front of him.

Nervously, Orena and Ellyn bowed to Marcus, but his expression displayed a killer intent as he bore his gloomy eyes into the ladies.

"We can expla—"

"Shut up," Marcus said sharply, giving her a glare that froze everyone in the room. His eyes turned to Zeo, sending shivers down his spine. "So, this Liam kid did this to you?" he asked.

Zeo hesitated for a moment, but his imposing presence forced him to reply with the truth. "Yes, sir."

Marcus stared at Orena with disgust. "What the hell were you doing when this happened?"

"Mr. Marcus, the duties of the orphanage had been overwhelming us lately. We have too much work, and our staff is limited." Orena lowered her head. "I'm truly sorry, sir."

Marcus remained silent, but his expression told everything they needed to know. His gaze returned to Zeo. "Are you friends with the young lady Remnya?"

"Young lady Remnya?" Zeo widened his eyes. "Yes, sir, I am! Is she doing well?"

"She's doing good. I bet you'd like to see her again, right?"

"Of course, sir! I miss her a lot!" His heart hastened at the thought of his friend.

"If that's the case." Marcus folded his arms. "I need to know if you're willing to leave this place and work for me back in Crysalton."

"Really?" Zeo's jaw dropped. "I'm willing to do anything you need, sir." Ignoring the pain, he bowed to Marcus. "Plus, it'd be a honor to work for you."

Marcus stifled a chuckle. "Alright. We'll arrange everything so we can make it possible."

"Thank you so much, sir!" A smile spread across Zeo's face, unable to believe there was a chance to see his best friend again.

"Don't mention it." Marcus nodded and then glanced at Orena and Ellyn. "Now, we need to talk."

The women exchanged terrified looks and bobbed their heads, rushing out of the room. Before leaving, Marcus looked back at Zeo and gave him a thumbs up. Zeo smiled and bowed again.

The conversation had made him forget the pain for a moment, but now it was back. Slowly, Zeo leaned his head on the pillow and stared at the ceiling. Only the buzzing of a fluorescent lamp accompanied him in the room, but the thought of his best friend warmed his heart.

Zeo took a deep breath and allowed the silence to clear his mind. He wanted to see Remnya again, but that meant leaving Amy behind. The little girl was her last friend in the orphanage, and he had sworn to protect her, even if that meant weeks of pain.

The consequences of her reckless decision began to invade her head, and the idea of working for Marcus didn't seem as great anymore.

*°*°*

Remnya

On the second week, the lunch with Magenta went by with little to no words until Maria broke into the hall and whispered something in the lady's ear. Magenta excused herself, saying she had business to attend to, and from the look on her face, it seemed to be something urgent. She left Remnya alone to finish the delicious meal.

Making sure no one saw her, Remnya finished Magenta's portion too. She stretched her arms and smiled in satisfaction; she had never eaten so much in her life.

Brisa stood nearby and looked at her with disdain. Magenta had ordered her to show Remnya the way back to her room. No matter how many times she wandered that fancy labyrinth, she still got lost.

"Hurry!" Brisa shouted, leaving the hall before Remnya could say a word.

The maid hastened through the corridors in silence. Her gold eyes fixated straight ahead as if Remnya wasn't there. Unlike Maria, Brisa never smiled and dressed in darker colors. Her dress had a gothic style and combined an exotic design of black with yellow shades. She wore black heels that made her look even taller and a gold necklace with a rune-shaped symbol.

"Can I go to the garden?" Remnya asked. A walk after a good meal was great for digestion; that's what Zeo always said.

Brisa ignored her request and sped up her pace.

Remnya repeated the question but still didn't get an answer. "Hey, I asked you a question!" she raised her voice.

"No," Brisa said in a cutting voice.

Remnya curled her lips and kept walking in tense silence until they arrived at her room. Brisa pushed the door open and folded her arms, waiting for Remnya to get inside.

"I wanna go for a walk. You don't even have to come, just tell me how to get to the garden." Remnya placed her hands on her hips.

"No, you're going to your room." Brisa pointed at the interior of the room. "Go, Nephilim!"

"Don't call me that!"

"You're a Nephilim. That's why you have those." Brisa grabbed her horns.

"No!" Remnya slapped her hands away and scowled. "And I told you, I just wanna go for a walk."

"Look, I don't care about what you want." She raised her voice, narrowing her eyes. "You even got your own TV and laptop there to entertain yourself. Just stay in your room, Nephilim!"

Remnya glared at her and took one step forward. "I won't stay in my room."

Brisa scoffed and looked down her nose at her. "I don't know how you brats did things in that disgusting place you came from, but you'll need to learn some manners here."

"You're the one who needs to learn manners!" Remnya yelled, pointing her finger at her face.

The maid clenched her fists as her face turned red. "Honestly, I don't understand why the lady bought a brat like you."

"Bought me? What the heck are you talking about, ugly girl?"

"Ugly girl?" Brisa stepped forward and placed her index finger on Remnya's chin. "Now listen to me, you little b—!"

"That's enough." A soft but firm voice surprised Remnya, who was about to bite Brisa's finger.

A man dressed in a casual midnight blue suit walked toward them. He seemed to be in his mid-twenties. His perfect smile emanated confidence, and his mysterious blue eyes looked like a deep ocean.

"Are we having a problem here, Brisa?" he asked, standing next to the maid. He was shorter than her.

"Mr. Ronner?" Brisa stepped backward, widening her eyes as if she saw a ghost. "We were talking," she mumbled.

"I heard the young lady wanted to do something." He glared at Brisa and then looked at Remnya from the corner of his eyes.

"Yes, sir. I was just explaining a few things to her," Brisa said. Her upper body was stiff, and her legs trembled.

Ronner turned to Remnya with a tender smile. "What did you need, young Remnya?"

"I-Uh," Remnya stuttered as she scanned the handsome man in awe. "I wanted to go for a walk, mister."

"And you can, young lady. This place is your new home." Ronner squatted in front of her and leaned closer. "Perhaps, did Brisa tell you otherwise?"

Remnya glanced at Brisa. The maid was pale, with her gaze fixed on him. "No . . . she didn't."

He looked deep into Remnya's eyes. His blue gaze was intense, almost hypnotic. "Are you sure?"

Brisa gulped and stared at Remnya, her eyes asking for help. "Yes, mister. She was just explaining some things to me." Remnya smiled at him.

"That's great!" Ronner seized Brisa's hand and squeezed it. "She's a good girl. I hope you get to know her better." He increased the pressure on her hand until her fingers turned white. "Remember, they are your servants too, and they will do as you please, whenever you please."

"My servants?" Remnya gaped at him.

"I guess Magenta assumed you already knew this." Ronner chuckled. "Forgive her. She can be oblivious sometimes."

Remnya giggled. "No, it's okay!"

Ronner ruffled her hair and gave her a perfect bright smile. "I promise I will make sure you're happy and get everything you need here, okay?"

Remnya blushed and looked away. She didn't trust most people, but his words and soothing voice calmed her down. Plus, his eyes made her feel safe and comfortable. "Thank you, mister." She nodded.

Ronner winked at her and stood up. "Do I need to say anything else, Brisa?" He gave the maid a sidelong glance.

"No, Mr. Ronner. I understand." Brisa bowed, her voice soft and submissive.

"We will meet again, young Remnya." Ronner caressed Remnya's face one last time and walked away.

Remnya hated to be touched, but she didn't feel the need to move away from him. She watched him disappear at the end of the hallway.

Brisa let out a deep breath and wiped the sweat off her forehead with a handkerchief. She turned to Remnya and lowered her head. "I apologize, young lady," she said, resignation in her voice.

Remnya noticed how the pink on Brisa's cheeks returned. "Who was that?"

"Mr. Ronner . . . " Brisa shuddered. "Lady Magenta's boyfriend."

"What?" Remnya's jaw dropped. "Is not he too young for her?" She scratched her head.

Brisa flinched as if Remnya had said the worst kind of blasphemy. "Anyhow!" She smiled, placing her hands on Remnya's shoulder. "Let's go for a walk?"

Remnya tilted her head and stared at Brisa; she looked like a different person. Her perfect teeth highlighted her smooth bronze skin and the exotic features on her face. "You should smile more."

Brisa rolled her eyes as her smile faded. "Yes, I should . . . I really should."

*°*°*

Remnya opened a heavy math book and grimaced at it. She had begun to take private classes. Magenta had told her she needed to learn everything a kid her age would learn at school and more, such as proper manners and knowledge of her new lifestyle in the mansion.

Math and sciences in the morning and what Remnya called 'fancy lady training' in the afternoon. There was no time to wander the gardens or climb anymore.

Her teachers demanded her to dress properly, but arguing with them was funnier than obeying. However, one morning, when a teacher yelled at her and called her a freak, Marcus smashed his head against a wall and choked him, whereas Remnya had to stop him.

Unlike before, other people suffered the consequences of her wild nature. Remnya tried to behave better, fearing Marcus would kill someone one day.

Only Brisa enjoyed the situation. She always had a mocking smirk for Remnya. Ever since that incident with Ronner, the maid seemed resentful. Her condescending eyes emanated jealousy, and her commentaries were full of poison.

It was the first winter morning when Remnya got out of bed. She had insomnia thinking about her upcoming test and decided to wander the garden to relax. Unfortunately, the doors were locked, so her next option was to stroll the mansion until sunrise.

The mansion was a different world at that time. Its main lights were off, but the hallways were still illuminated by rows of beautiful crystal lights placed along the walls. Such a sight was relaxing and pleasant for the eyes. The longer hallways glowed in a tenuous creamy tone, while the shorter ones did in a soft blue or pink.

Sobs coming from a room caught Remnya's attention. She tiptoed toward a half-open door and sneaked her head behind the wall to peep inside.

The sight took her breath away. It was Brisa's room. Being too entertained by the mesmerizing lights, Remnya hadn't realized she was at the maid's dorm.

Brisa lay on a loveseat next to a window in the corner of her room. She was still, covering her face with a cushion. I can't be wrong. I heard someone crying! Remnya assumed she was pretending to be asleep and had to find out why.

"Brisa, are you okay?" Remnya took one step into the room, but the maid remained still.

Remnya walked closer to have a better look and gasped when she caught a glimpse of her clothes; her beautiful black dress was torn around her waist and hips, while her knee socks were all ripped. Remnya shook her head, refusing to believe her eyes.

Bruises and red finger marks covered Brisa's wrists, forearms, and thighs.

"Brisa? What happened?" Remnya asked, freezing next to her.

The more Remnya inspected her body, the more she found traces of pain. Blood had dried in her inner thighs and knees and had stained her seat.

An avalanche of hurtful memories crushed Remnya's heart. She had been in her place so many times. Her own bruises stung at the sight of that poor girl in front of her.

"Talk to me, tell me what happened!"

Remnya scanned her surroundings. Everything else looked normal and ordered in the room. With a trembling hand, she reached out for the cushion and uncovered Brisa's face. Remnya felt slightly relieved her face wasn't hurt.

The maid slowly opened her eyes and gave her a blank stare. Her eyes were irritated, tired, and sadder than usual. If she had been the one crying, she was doing a great job hiding it now.

"What do you want, brat?" Brisa muttered, her voice thin like a thread.

"What happened?"

"Nothing. Leave me alone . . . " She closed her eyes.

"You're hurt, and your dress is . . . " Remnya frowned. "Something happened! Hey!"

"Whatever happened is none of your business!" Brisa raised her voice for a second, and then it faded again. "Leave me alone."

"Who hurt you? Was it Marcus?" Remnya asked as her heart raced. She had seen Marcus slapping the servants before, but he had never beaten anyone like this.

"Marcus? No, he would never do something like this."

"Tell me who! Whoever did this needs to be yelled at!" Remnya shouted.

"Remnya, can you please shut up? I wanna be alone." Brisa opened her eyes and glared at her.

Her refusal to talk was angering Remnya. She was about to yell at her when tears began rolling down Brisa's cheeks. She was gritting her teeth, trying to hold them back, but it was futile.

Remnya lowered her eyes as a burning pain oppressed her chest. She clenched her fists, not knowing what to do. "Let me help you."

"If you want to help me, leave me alone . . . Please," Brisa whispered as her voice cracked. She covered her face with both hands.

Remnya reached out for her, trying to caress her head, the same way she did when Zeo cried. However, she stopped, afraid of hurting her further. Feeling powerless and useless, she decided it was better to do as Brisa asked.

She began walking away but stopped at the doorway to glance over her shoulder at her for the last time. "You know . . . " She hesitated but managed to untie the knot in her throat. "You can come to my room and take a bath if you want, and . . . I have some clothes you could wear."

Brisa didn't seem to be listening. She was trembling, trying to muffle her sobs, but they only became louder.

"I'll be there if you need me, Brisa," Rem said in a defeated voice, lowering her head as she left the room.

Remnya headed back to her room, a turmoil in her head. Who would do this? Brisa might not be the nicest person, but hurting her is wrong! It's very wrong!

Remnya slammed the door of her room and dropped onto her bed. She curled up and covered her face with the blankets. Remnya hoped Brisa would listen to her. She wanted to help her more than anything in the world, but there was little a brat like herself could do.

The stress had drained all her energy, and finally, Remnya fell asleep.

*°*°*

10