Chapter 29: Oren’s Sin
48 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 29
Oren's Sin

~*~

Walking south across the Aniraco Plains, most monsters avoid us like the plague. The battles we do get into are laughably easy. Even I alone can handle the grasshoppers and bunnies. The sea soon appears, signaling for us to turn west. With the change in direction, the ocarina tune stops, and a rare silence envelops us.

"We're in the Shalaron Fields now," Oren says. "We won't encounter any creatures here. Shalaron is nestled between the mountains just up and head. And as you may have noticed, the music has also stopped. Silence is a virtue."

The sudden absence of sound sends unexpected chills down my body. It took forever to get used to the unending background music and sound effects, but now with them gone, it feels as if all life has disappeared.

"As monks of Shalaron, we worship Asharia. She controls all sources of sound in this region."

"I thought it was only a rumor," Cassis says, genuinely intrigued by the phenomenon.

Elric jumps up and down, making sure to apply as much force as he can during landing.

No sound whatsoever.

"It won't work," Oren says, amused. "Isn't it wonderful?"

"No."

"Curious might be a better word to describe this place."

A red bird the size of a hawk soars past us.

Oren notices it and frowns. "Let's go. We're almost there."

The Shalaron Fields are greener and more luscious than the Aniraco Plains. Flowers beyond my knowledge dab the area in every color, creating a plane of abstract art. We hug the mountains to the north, Shalaron itself already visible in the distance. As we approach closer, two giant columns appear, marking the entrance way to the famous temple. The moment we step through the gate, we are greeted by a group of monks.
There must be at least a dozen of them, all donning similar clothing to Oren. Standing in the middle is an old man, his attire more vibrant than the rest.

"Oren!" he says, taking a few steps forward.

"Master Vars," Oren acknowledges, his head down as if to avoid eye contact.

"Three years...You dare show your face in Shalaron?"

"I didn't realize it has been that long..."

"Are you finally ready to answer for your crimes?"

Oren heaves a sigh. "Yes, I am."

Cassis, Elric, and I all look at each other with the same thought in our mind. What the heck has the monk done?

Shalaron is home to many of the people who choose the monk class. With its focus on community and the belief in a common god, the guild naturally attracts and retains a lot of followers. To my surprise, the number of male and female monks is about the same. They all live together in seemingly harmonious peace. But Oren's indictment shatters this illusion.

After arriving in Shalaron, he surrendered himself to the authorities. He's been accused of rape against a fellow guild member and fleeing justice. Sequestered, Oren awaits the trial that will determine the fate of the rest of his life.

Cassis, Elric, and I have been invited to stay for as long as we'd like in town. However, none of the townsfolk seem too eager to talk to us, perhaps due to our association with a person who they already deem to be guilty.

"Princess Cassis, you're friends with that sinner? Does King Triton know about this?"

"Oren's guilty. I saw it with my own eyes."

"I have nothing to say to you, go away."

The elders are more reasonable. Yet they, too, seem to already have a verdict in mind.

"He joined our guild when he was thirteen. An orphan, he told us, but nothing more. At first he was a miscreant, that boy, causing problems for just about everyone in Shalaron. But he eventually mellowed down and grew to become a respectable member of our community. It pains us that he has committed such a heinous crime, against one of our own, no less. And for that, he must be punished."

We watch Master Vars take a sip of tea, then stroke his beard. His eyes stare off into space, probably thinking of an appropriate punishment for one of his most cherished pupils.

Cassis decides to offer her own opinion. "I have not known Oren for that long, but in the time I've known him, he has always shown great wisdom. Every action he makes has thought and reason. My friend here," she points to me, "Oren has watched over him and saved him from countless dangers. It's simply unimaginable, the crime you accuse him of. Perhaps there is some sort of misunderstanding?"

"Princess, we appreciate your words and will take your testimony of his character into consideration. However, we advise you not to get involved in our guild's problems." Master Vars doesn't seem like he will flinch.

Cassis looks to Elric for backup, but he only shrugs his shoulders. She sighs. "I understand. On a change of note, we have an unrelated matter we'd like to discuss with you. Actually, it's the reason we came."

"If we can be of assistance to Asentus in anyway, simply ask and we will do our best."

"It's regarding the Speakers."

"Ah, yes. They have become the topic of discussion in many conversations as of late."

"Then you must know that one of the Speakers is attempting to free Eudimon."

"Merely rumors."

Her face contorts. She's fighting hard not to argue with the old man. "I...I was there. In the Moaning Valley. I almost died at that Speaker's hands. One of the three seals have been broken. If that woman succeeds in--"

"We know the consequences, Princess. But I can assure you that will never happen. The locations of the seals are long lost to time."

"That's not what we're here for. We simply wish to know the location of the Speakers Tribe." Cassis says nothing more and waits for a response.

"Does King Triton not already have this information?"

"Father does, but it as I who wish to know."

Master Vars' eyes blink, finally understanding Cassis' request. He smiles. "I see. Then I'm afraid I cannot help."

"Why not?"

"I shouldn't have to explain the delicacy of the matter to you, Princess." Seeing Cassis' incredulous look, he decides he has to after all. "The Speakers are powerful folk. But more feared is their ability to produce voice. People see them as freaks of nature. It's unfortunate, actually. So to maintain some semblance of a peaceful life, the Speakers have gone into hiding. Only a select few, people they consider as allies, know of their whereabouts."

"And Master Vars, you are one of them. Can you not tell me?"

"No, and that is my final answer." He finishes his tea and closes his eyes. "Go visit the Meditation Gardens, Princess. The view from up there is not to be missed."

With his eyes closed, we can no longer engage him in conversation.

"What do we do now?" Elric asks.

"There must be someone else in Shalaron who knows..." Cassis says, more to herself than to the thief. A thought seems to cross her mind, and she leaves the old man's house.

We follow her, making our way uptown. Being situated right on the slope of a mountain, the town is somewhat of a spectacle. With its multi-level layout, Shalaron looks like the home of the Incan Empire.

Each level serves a function. The ground level is the most spacious and is a common area where residents come to socialize. Its sparse in buildings, but dense in greenery. The second level features most of the shops, the gears mainly appealing to the monk class. Residential homes are found on the third, fifth, and seventh levels, while fields for growing crops lie on the fourth, sixth, and eighth. On the ninth level is the Temple of Shalaron, basking in the sun while towering over the city. A flight of stone stairs from the ground runs straight up the center of town, connecting all nine levels.

The Meditation Gardens are even higher up. Behind the temple, a monk stands guard of the steps that ascend all the way to the top of the mountain. When she sees us, she smiles and says, "Welcome to Shalaron. You've come to see the Meditation Gardens, no doubt. It is our proudest treasure. To visit the gardens, we ask make a small contribution for their upkeep."

"How much?" Elric asks.

"We ask that each person donate 1000 Gold, although more is always appreciated," the monk tells us with a sincere smile.

Elric and I hesitate for a moment, but we eventually give in and hand over the money.

The monk thanks us and steps aside.

After a long climb up, we reach the Meditation Gardens. Contrary to its name, the place isn't really a garden. There are no plants, no flowers. Only a flat field of grass and some stones. In the sky, red birds circle the mountain, once in a while landing to consume food given to them by visitors. Almost twice the size of a human, they are the true attractions here.

Seated by a stone at the edge of the plateau is Oren. Cassis prods at him. "Oren, wake up."

Elric and I join them.

"Is it already time?" The monk opens his eyes. Seeing us, he sighs. "Oh, it's you. Isn't the view from here magnificent?" He stands up and takes a deep breath. "What precious air."

I'm normally afraid of heights, but looking down at the Shalaron Fields from here doesn't seem to have any effect.

"We talked to the old man," Elric says. "I don't think things will go in your favor."

"Don't say that!" Cassis says, although she knows it's true as well.

"He's right," Oren says. "And I'm guilty. I should pay for my sins."

I wonder if he did commit the crime, or if he simply believes he did.

"I...I don't know want to say." Cassis stumbles through her words.

"There's no need to say anything. You talked to Master Vars, right? Did he share with you the location of the Speakers Tribe?"

"No, he wouldn't."

"I was worried that might be the case. Unfortunately, he's the only one in Shalaron with this knowledge. I'll talk to the old man when I get a chance."

"Will he really tell you?"

"Normally no, but if it's my dying wish..."

We soon realize the gravity of the situation. If Oren is found guilty, he will be sentenced to death.

"We should never have come here," Cassis says, blocks of tears falling from her eyes.

"Can't you just walk out of here?" Elric says. He looks around before continuing. "No one's really guarding this place."

Oren sits back down next to the stone. "No, I must answer for my sins. The trial will take place soon. I don't want you to be there. Spend your time below and wait for a response from Master Vars regarding the Speakers. Goodbye."

Before Cassis or Elric can get another word in, Oren has already closed his eyes. I prod him, but the monk doesn't budge. We decide not to linger around the Meditation Gardens, and instead head back down to the guest house.

"Excuse me," someone behind us says. "I can help you. Excuse me, Princess."

Cassis stops and turns around. "Are you talking to me?"

The woman, a female monk as it turns out, nods and approaches us. She gestures for us to follow her, then continues past us. With some hesitation, we follow her down to the second level into a house.

"My name is Vera. This is my home," she says. "We can speak more openly here."

Cassis starts the interrogation. "What did you mean when you said you could help us?"

"I saw your conversation with Oren. You're looking for the Speakers Tribe, aren't you? I know where they are."

"You do?" The change in Cassis' expression is obvious. She's desperate to find out. "Will you please tell us. We can offer you anything."

Elric waves his hands in disagreement. "Slow down. We barely have any money left after that visit to the Meditation Gardens."

Vera shakes her hand. "You misunderstand. It's not money I'm after."

"And how do we know you're telling the truth. Only Master Vars knows where the Speakers are."

"Master Vars doesn't know, but I was eavesdropping when he and the Speaker Elder spoke years ago. That's hardly relevant."

"I don't know..."

"I believe her," Cassis says. She wastes no time. "What is it you want in return?"

Vera's the first person in Shalaron to engage us like this. Whether she's telling the truth or not, there must be a reason.

"Thank you." Vera sighs. "It's Oren. He's innocent. He didn't commit the heinous crime that woman accused him of. You are friends, aren't you? Clear his name, and I will tell you the location of the Speakers Tribe."

The request is reasonable enough. It's something we were planning to do anyway.

"I'm not sure there's anything we can do."

"Talk to that woman," Vera tells us, her resentment clear even without sound. "Judith, the whore who accused Oren of raping her. She's a liar. Make her confess!"

~*~

3