Chapter 30: The Confession
52 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 30
The Confession

~*~

The Shalaron Fields stretch far to the west, at the end of which, stands a sole cabin in the vast sea of colors. We visit Judith's home, a simple wooden house with a yard surrounding it. There's no one around, so we enter the house to check for clues. Clues that might reveal her true character. Aside from some exotic plants and a sizable collection of rocks, we see nothing out of the ordinary.

"This is rather awkward," Cassis says, clearly uncomfortable intruding on another person's space. "We should wait outside for her to return."

"The two of you wait outside," Elric says. "I'll keep searching. Don't worry. This kind of stuff isn't below me."

I nod to Elric and pull Cassis outside. He's finally serving a role in the party. This is the kind of detective work that the thief should be good at.

"Are you sure about this?" she asks me. "We're just here to talk, remember?"

I gesture for her to stand guard while I search the yard.

"This is insane...!"

The tour around the yard lasts no more than a couple minutes. In the back is a clothesline with what I assume to be articles of clothing of various sizes, although I can't make out which parts of the body they are for. A small pond lies in one corner, next to which is a large stone, presumably for meditation purposes. A pile of lumber completes the tour.

Suddenly, I see a text panel appear in the front side of the house. "Who are you?"

"Hello, my name...what was it again...I don't remember. We...I mean, I was just exploring the region...and, is this your house?"

"Yes it is. What are you doing here? Leave now, or else I will throw you out."

"Wait, wait! There's no need for violence. I'm simply lost. Can you please help me?"

"I'm not sure I believe you..."

"Hey Cassis, look what I found! Oh...is that her?"

"Intruders! You'll regret this."

I hurry to the front of the house to Judith with her fists up and Cassis and Elric with their weapons drawn. The world spins out of control.

* BATTLE START *


Elric swings at the monk with his daggers twice, but his attacks are barely effective.

-33 HP
-24 HP

"Who sent you!?" Judith asks, laying a punch into Cassis.

-223 HP

"Let's just remain keep calm and talk, alright?" Cassis says, unwilling to retaliate. "We don't want to hurt you. Elric, don't attack her."

It's my turn, and I heal Cassis.

"Why don't we just knock her out, tie her up, and interrogate her?" Elric jams his dagger into the angry woman. "Gentle Stab!"

-66 HP

"Interrogate me? What are you talking about? I'll teach you not to attack a woman!" Judith unleashes a special attack on Elric. "Aura Strike!"

-789 HP

"Ow! Priest, heal me." Elric lays some snares if front of him. The trap will be triggered if the monk attacks him. This is good for him, but now Cassis and I will become targets.

Cassis once again refuses to attack, trying instead to use reason to stop the battle. "We came to talk to you about Oren."

I restore some of Elric's health with a heal spell.

"Oren...he's back?" The mention of his name takes Judith away momentarily, and her turn lapses.

Elric gives it to her again.

-29 HP
-25 HP

Judith's health is down only about ten percent. The battle would be a lot easier if Cassis actually participated, but all she does is sway back and forth until the timer on her turn is over.

"Yes, he's back. He's in Shalaron standing trial. Is there nothing you can stay to clear his name?"

"How dare you bring up that sinner's name!" The monk pounces at Cassis with an Aura Strike.

-444 HP

I heal Cassis, unsure of what else to do.

Elric makes another attempt at ending the battle. "Gentle Stab!"

-55 HP

"There must be more to the story. Please, can we just talk?"

"I said everything I intended to say three years ago." Judith hits me with an Aura Strike.

-810 HP

I feel my entire body go numb, as if my muscles have withered.

"Priest, use a Power Stone on me," Elric says, then tries his special attack again on the monk. "Gentle Stab!"

-66 HP

Cassis uses a potion on me so that I'll survive another attack.

"Contemplate!" Judith sits down and closes her eyes.

She's going to regenerate her skill points, then keep launching her special attacks. Our supply of stones and powers won't last, not to mention the monk can still meditate to generate her health. This battle may go on for hours, with us losing in the end.

I use an item on Elric.

"Thanks!" he says. "Gentle Stab!"

-57 HP

"What do we do?" Cassis asks, still unwilling to fight.

I heal.

"Use your fancy sword skills on her!" Elric says. "Gentle Stab!"

-71 HP

"But she's not the enemy. This is not the paladin's way."

I heal again.

"Gentle Stab!"

-66 HP

This time, Judith collapses to the ground.

"Finally!" Elric says and does his victory pose.

You gained 1000 EXP!
Cassis gained 1000 EXP!
Elric gained 1000 EXP!

* BATTLE END *

The yard and cabin reappear. Judith is lying unconscious on the ground.

"Let's tie her up," Elric says, producing ropes I never knew he had. In a matter of seconds, the monk's arms are bound. "Done. Now we interrogate her. Um, do we have an Asharia's Kiss?"

"No!" Cassis starts to panic. "If we don't revive her soon, she's going to--"

Just then, Vera appears. Her face is the classic look of horror. "What in Asharia's name...I asked you to talk to her, not kill her!"

"We didn't mean to," Cassis tries to explain. "She saw us and attacked, so we had no choice but to--"

"Mommy, I'm home!" A little girl waddles into the scene, leaving everyone speechless. "Mommy?"

Vera moves in front of the unconscious Judith to obstruct the child's view. "Mommy's not home. I'm Auntie Vera. A friend. Let's go play in the Shalaron Fields."

"But I was just there. I'm hungry." She tries to walk past Vera to get to the cabin but is picked up by the monk.

"Come, we'll find you something to eat," Vera says, then throws me an item. "Mommy will be home soon, I promise."

"Okay..."

You found Asharia's Kiss!

Once Vera and the child are gone, Cassis and Elric carry the tied up Judith into the house and seat her on a chair. I use Asharia's kiss, which creates blue swirls of light around her. She stirs awake, staring at us with disgusted looks.

"What's the meaning of this? Who sent you?" She struggles to break free, but to no avail.

"We're really sorry to do this to you," Cassis says. "Just answer some questions, and we'll release you, alright?"

"Let me go! I don't even know you."

"The monk you accused of raping you three years ago, Oren. What's your relationship with him?"

"We were guild mates. What is the point of this?"

"The point is, we know he didn't commit the crime you accused him of. Why did you lie?"

"I've already said my piece three years ago. My story will not change. Who are you to interrogate me? Let me go!"

"Oren is standing trial right now. Do you not have a conscience? He will be condemned because of your lies."

"The idiot should never have come back."

"You...! You're the worst kind of human being...!"

Cassis' interrogation leads nowhere. Worrying that she might lose her patience, Elric and I pull her aside. We decide to go out to the yard to think. Judith is unlikely to admit to anything.

"Earlier, you said you found something in the house," Cassis asks Elric.

"Oh, it was just a Speed Ring. I'm going to keep it for myself if you guys don't mind."

"I can't believe you!"

"Let's focus on the matter at hand."

Just then, Vera and the child return. "We're back. Things are going well here, I hope?" She eyes the three of us with severe doubt. "Well?"

Cassis nods. "We're still working on it."

"I've received word that there may not be a trial at all," Vera tells us. "He's admitted to everything, so the people see no reason to waste time on a trial."

"He was drunk! He doesn't even remember anything." Elric says, echoing my own thoughts.

"Are there really no witnesses that can clear Oren's name?" Cassis ask.

"Unfortunately not. Only Judith knows the entire story. We must hurry and get her to confess."

"I'm hungry!" Mimi says. "And where's Mommy?"

Elric looks at the girl. A sinister smile appears on his face. "You guys watch Mimi. I'm going to try something..."

"What are you going to do?"

"Just wait here." The thief says no more and heads back into the house.

I follow him in to make sure he doesn't do anything reckless.

Judith is still trying to break free of the ropes, but it seems Elric's knot tying skills are top-notch."Please, just let me go. I can't help Oren. My daughter's waiting for me."

"Your daughter. Mimi, right?" Elric asks, if he doesn't already know.

"Yes...how? No..." Judith realizes that we have her.

"Ah, now you understand what's at stake here."

"Don't do dare do anything to her!"

He continues to play the villain. "She's just outside, asking 'where's Mommy?' But I'm worried it will not have a happy ending. You see, the knight, she's a wild one. Who knows what she'll do to Mimi. I think her claymore's already drawn."

"Oh, my Asharia, no, this can't be happening. Don't hurt her! Let me go! Let me go!"

I watch the scene unfold, feeling a bit sorry for the monk. What if she's been telling the truth this whole time?

"Confess!" Elric finally says. "Tell us the truth about what happened between you and Oren three years ago."

"Fine! I lied. Don't hurt my daughter, please!" Genuine tears flow down her face. "I'll tell you everything."

Elric and I stare at each other in disbelief, feeling a bit of guilty at first. But compared to how much damage she's done to Oren mentally, it's little suffering. Judith tells us what really happened. She liked Oren, but

he didn't reciprocate, so she drugged and took advantage of him. It was as simple as that.

We untie her, and she instantly runs out of the house. We follow. Outside, Cassis and and Vera are playing with Mimi. Judith runs to hugs her daughter.

"So?" Cassis asks Elric.

"She confessed to drugging Oren."

Vera looks at Judith with disgust. "I knew it! You wh--" Seeing the little girl, she stops herself. "You're a horrible person."

"Mommy, why are your friends saying mean words to you?"

"It's fine, Mimi." Judith turns to us, her demeanor subdued. "I've been wracked with guilt for years. Go tell Master Vars. I will confess everything."

Vera nods, although the clear disgust in her face is still there. "Your confession may have come a little too late." She addresses us. "Let's hurry back to Shalaron."

And so we rush back to Shalaron.

Preparations for the end of life process have already begun. We learn from Vera that it will be a completely painless process. Oren will be taught 'Repent,' a skill unique to monks and those who worship Asharia.

The skill will trigger his body to release all its energy, where it will be harvested and used to create medicine and food for the red birds.

"The ritual's starting soon," Vera says. "It's too late to talk to Master Vars."

As people gather to the Temple of Shalaron to witness the ritual, we stop by Vera's home to discuss what to do.

"We have to save Oren," Cassis says.

"I don't think it'll be possible. He'll be surrounded by people who want to see him die."

"If we can somehow sneak out without them noticing..." Elric says, scratching is head to find an answer. "I'm stumped."

We all realize that fighting isn't the answer. We'll be eliminated before we can even make it out of the temple, much less Shalaron. And even if there was no one standing in our way, we would still have to convince Oren to leave with us.

"It's hopeless." Vera wipes the tears from her eyes with a handkerchief.

"No." Cassis' eyes widen. "There is a way..."

"You have an idea?"

All eyes turn to Cassis.

"Yes, but," she looks to Elric and then to me, "I can't really tell you what it is...or it might not work. Just trust me, okay?"

There is silence for a moment as we try to grasp her words. Vera seems skeptical, but she puts her trust in us. "Very well. Can I help with anything?"

"We just need to get close to Oren."

"Once the ritual starts, no one may step interfere with the process..."

"But there's nothing stopping us from approaching Oren, right?"

"Perhaps not...What is it you're planning?"

Elric seems equally confused. "Remember, we can't fight our way out."

"We won't have to. Trust me."

Vera nods. "Go. You don't have much time. Wait! The Speakers Tribe. Look for a man named Calinco in Mahgereb. He has the information you need. I don't, I'm sorry."

That was obvious from the start. We nod to her and leave.

Hundreds have gathered outside the temple on the ninth level, occupying every inch of the area. Several monks stand guard at the footsteps to the stairs leading up to Meditation Gardens, preventing curious tourists from disturbing a sacred ritual. It seems that the ceremony is only reserved for high level members of the guild. We push past the crowd towards the stairs.

"Viewing is closed to outsiders," a monk tells us.

"We are Oren's friends," Cassis says. "Can we not say a few words to him?"

"The ritual has already started."

"Please, we just want to see him one last time!"

Just when we think we might have to fight our way through, Master Vars appear from the stairs. "It's fine. Let the three past."

"Thank you," Cassis says.

The monk steps aside, and the three of us make our way up to the Meditation Gardens.

It's much quieter up here. Twelve monks are seated on the grass in a ring. In the center is Oren, his eyes closed as well in meditation. Above him red birds circle, like predators on prey. If we just grab Oren now and run, would anyone notice?

Master Vars steps forth as if to block us. "This is a tradition of the Servants of Asharia. You may observe from outside the ring."

"May we speak with Oren?" Cassis asks.

"No. The time for words has past."

"Please, Master Vars...Just a few words."

The old monk ignores us and walks to Oren's side. Detecting his presence, Oren opens his eyes to greet him. He casts a glance over at us and smiles, but doesn't say anything.

"Oren, you're innocent!" Elric says, out of nowhere. "I talked to Judith. She's lying. She confessed."

One of the monks turns to the thief and shouts, "Gibberish!"

Elric struggles to produce words, but only gibberish comes out. "@#)(@#*%&*)(@*#."

"Master Vars, please," Cassis begins, but she too is also gibberished by the monks. "let us ex@#K@#%(."

Master Vars produces a scroll and gives it to Oren. As Oren reads the sacred words, an orange light surrounds him. The twelve monks that form the ring all nod in unison. At this point, the old man backs away, as if to signal the next and final part of the ritual.

When the orange light vanishes, Oren gives us a look of farewell, then closes his eyes. In a moment, he will cast the Repent skill, and his life force will be depleted from his body. If we are to do something, it must be now. I turn to Cassis, urging her to execute her plan, whatever it is.

"!@#@($&," Cassis says and runs towards Oren.

Elric and I follow suit, unsure of what she's about to do, but putting our trust in her.

The monks all see us but don't budge from their ring formation. Instead, they look to Master Vars for guidance. The old monk shakes his hand at us, but he too remains still. It seems none of them wants to interrupt the ritual.

Cassis rests one hand on Oren's shoulder. In her other hand, she produces and item, then tosses it into the air. The Meditation Gardens twist and bend until it's no longer recognizable. The grass below us morphs to sand, its colors fading from green to gray. And just as the onset of a headache hits me, the scenery begins to focus again. Familiar structures appear, and I finally realize what Cassis has done.

Oren's eyes shoot open. "Repen--!" He stops himself. "What in Asharia's name...The three of you...What have you done!"

""@#*@(%*," Cassis says with a half smile.

Cassis has used Teleport Gate to teleport us away from Shalaron. Tears of gratitude mixed with anger and indignation rise to the surface of the monk's eyes. It looks we have some explaining to do.

~*~

2