Extra: Minato Side: Warm Days and Whimsical Steps
208 8 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a certain calm morning, a young man was enjoying his peaceful breakfast.

“Itadakimasu.”

After bringing his hands together as a gesture of appreciation, Minato then started eating his food.

“Mm, it’s good…” he commented. “Still, it’s nowhere as good as Kaa-san’s yet. Speaking of which…”

Minato paused for a bit and took a glance at a photo besides his room’s TV. It was taken around a few days before he came to the Academy, together with his father, mother, and stern looking grandmother.

“I wish he would come home a bit more often…” he sighed. “Or at least call Kaa-san…”

Minato’s father, Taketo Sanada, is widely known as the strongest freelancing duelist. His adamant refusal to join teams and sponsors, as well as his preference for fiery red outfits, has earned him the nickname ‘Crimson Ronin Sanada’. It was during his early days that he met a kindly young lady named Shizue Amakawa, and after they got married, Taketo decided to take her surname.

‘Well, it’s not like Tou-san never show up or make a call at all…’ Minato mentally noted. ‘Not to mention he always sent some money back even though Kaa-san said we are doing fine. But he never said where he is either…! Of course Baa-sama would be cranky…’

He knows well that his grandmother, Taeko, doesn’t quite like the concept of dueling, thinking of it as a showy spectacle sport instead of pure martial arts. That said, she too had her part in training Minato, thrashing him and his kendo with their Amakawa-ryuu Naginata-jutsu.

‘…Baa-sama was really strong.’ he slightly shuddered at the memory. ‘But in the end, she didn’t oppose my decision on going to dueling school, and I have to thank her for that—’

The TV anchor’s voice talking about the weather pulled him back to reality.

“Ah, right, can’t stay all morning here.”

Finishing his self-made breakfast combo, Minato then brought his hands together again.

“Gochisousama deshita…!”

————

When Minato stepped out from his room, he was immediately met with the sight of his usual companions.

“Ah…”

“Oh, good morning, you three!” Minato greeted the girls. “You sure are early.”

“Hmph, what are you saying? We all—”

“Oh, of course. I just wanted to see your face~” Carmen quickly cut Eurypha off.

“Eei, this again!? Stop jumpi— I, I mean bothering him!”

“Shut it, you two. And let’s go to class already.” Ilma said coldly… while not so subtly dragging Minato away for herself.

“And that goes for you too!”

“Oh, you sneaky little—”

“G, girls! I can walk by myself!”

———

It was after the three girls relented that they finally went to school. Having dropped their belongings and greeted the Principal along the way, Minato’s group stood by on the front gate.

“Good morning, Miss Hestianus!”

“Yes, good morning.” Eurypha greeted some girls back.

“…haa, how long should we stand around, again?” Ilma complained.

“Come on now, it’s not even 5 minutes yet.” Carmen pointed out. “Pull yourself together.”

“Tch, you aren’t my caretaker. And I can use that 5 minutes for… …anything with Amakawa, really.” she said the latter in a suspiciously low voice.

“Oh ho, too bad for you, then.”

“Hmm? What are you two talking about?” Minato asked innocuously.

“”Nothing.””

“Eeh…?”

Eurypha was about to interrupt when someone familiar approached them.

“Oh, Miss President, good morning—”

She kind of stopped midway upon noticing the boy beside her.

“Good morning, all of you. What’s wrong?”

Sigulf coming together with Celina isn’t all that unusual considering the two have been going out for a while. Nor the fact that Chelsea and Alba are bound to be not too far around. It’s just that…

“…what’s with him and that icy stare of his?” Ilma whispered to Carmen, as if echoing Eurypha’s sentiments.

“…maybe he had a bad breakfast?” the redhead guessed.

Minato can only laugh dryly. He too can’t tell what’s going on Sigulf’s mind.

‘…and Hrimgard-kun is quite competitive.’ Minato noted. ‘Yet…’

He looked back at the seemingly stoic Icelander.

‘At least I know that he meant no ill will.’

“Good morning, Hrimgard-kun!”

“Yo. Morning.”

Eurypha and Carmen gasped rather dramatically, while Ilma simply widened her eyes, earning a chuckle from Celina.

“…why are you girls surprised there?” Sigulf sighed. “It’s not like I never talked to him at all.”

“Well, I was half-joking, but you know…” Carmen merely shrugged.

“I told you to tone down that murder-stare and try to smile more.” Chelsea said. “I know you’re probably thinking of something mundane, but…”

“But my normal face is rather grim anyways… …a, and Celina being the only one to see my smile is enough.”

They continued on, with Eurypha getting second-hand embarrassment, while Carmen laughed at Sigulf’s attempt to show off, and Alba vehemently agreed with her.

‘Haha, I see he’s really loved—’

However, as soon as the thought crossed his mind, the three girls immediately stared at Minato.

“Eh? What?”

“””Just a hunch, but if only—””” they replied in unison.

‘S, so scary…!’

Sigulf gave him a pat on his shoulder.

“I never thought that I would say this, but good luck, Amakawa.”

‘Eeh!? Even Hrimgard-kun too!?’

———

During the middle of lunch break, right after finishing their food, Minato was seen fighting on the yard, drawing some spectators.

“Kh…!”

“What’s the matter!? Defending won’t get you anywhere!”

Occasionally, some students would step to challenge him, wanting to measure themselves as well as him being Sanada’s son.

‘Such aggression…! But…!’

Seemingly being pressured, Minato was carefully reading his opponent’s moves. Slowly but sure, the gaps become visible to him, and then…

“…! There!”

“Wha—!?”

Minato parried at the precise timing and it knocked his opponent off balance. Wasting no time, he quickly pursued and gave a heavy horizontal swing.

“Haaah!!”

“Uagh…!”

The hit landed cleanly, thrashing the other fighter away.

“Battle points 0, cannot continue duel. Winner, Minato Amakawa.”

Amidst the cheering, Minato dematerialized his Arms and helped his opponent up.

“Agh… As expected, you’re strong. Good fight.”

“Thank you, and likewise!”

As he returned to his friends, Minato looked at his right hand.

‘I can go 100% just fine, but 120%…’ he thought. ‘Closest I can think was that duel against Eurypha, and even then it went nowhere…’

“Yo! Good showing out there!” Walter congratulated. “Hm? What’s wrong?”

“Oh, no, it’s nothing. Just a bit tired.” Minato dismissed.

‘I wonder when will I be able to unleash Sky Fencer’s potential…?’

———

After school, Minato and his group were out patrolling like usual when suddenly, a lady from the cafeteria called them over.

“What is it, Obasan?”

“Oh, sorry to disturb you during your duty, but…” she handed him a package. “Looks like this was mistakenly delivered to us. Now normally I don’t mind returning it myself, but there’s still some work I can’t just leave it be, so…”

“Aah, I see. Don’t worry, please leave it to us. We’ll take it from here.”

“Thank you, and I’m really sorry!” the lady gestured. “I’ll make it up for all of you later.”

“Haha, you don’t have to.” Minato laughed before taking a better look at the package. “Well then, let’s see… The record store?”

“It’s quite the distance from here.” Eurypha mentioned.

“Hm…”

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know, but somehow… This whole thing feels familiar…”

“Eh? What do you mean? If it’s just delivery, I’m sure we did it few times before.”

“Not quite that, but… I just can’t put my finger on it…”

“Heh, whatever. Would be funny if it turns out the record store got the wrong item too.” Ilma sarcastically retorted, earning her looks from the others. “…what?”

“You worry too much. There’s no way that would happen, right?” Eurypha replied with a sigh. “Come on, let’s just get this over with.”

However, when they finally reached the store…

“Ooh, thank goodness! I was wondering where our package went!” the clerk exclaimed. “However, looks like another place’s item came here instead—“

“…wait, what? Seriously?”

As it turned out, there are other instances of mistaken delivery and Minato’s group had to visit another 3-4 different stores across the island before reporting back.

“O, oh my, talk about bad luck.” The café lady responded.

“Haah, haah… Why did you have to jinx it before we began!?” Eurypha blamed Ilma.

“How is it even my fault?” she countered. “Although, paska… This is probably the first time I hate to be right about something…”

“Now, now, at least it’s over without incidents…” Minato tried to calm them down.

“Looks like I troubled you more than I thought,” the lady said while looking apologetic. “So allow me repay it! …well, we’re about to close soon, but I think I can arrange something.”

Minato was about to decline, but after exchanging looks with the girls, he decided not to.

“Thank you!” Carmen exclaimed. “Well then, allow us to take on your offer!”

“Great, can I have a glass of be—“

“Hiltunen-san.”

””Ilma.”” The other three cut her off before she can even finish.

“…perkele.”

———

Night falls, and after some light workout followed with a warm bath, Minato decided to chat for a bit before going to bed.

“Fumu, fumu, I see…” Reika said while nodding, visible from Minato’s monitor. “Sounds kinda tough, but you did the right thing de gozaru.”

“Ahahah, that reminds of the typical fetch quests on RPGs.” Misha added.

“…ah, now that you mentioned it, maybe it was that.” Minato realized.

Ever since the Pacifics’ early visit, Minato has decided to make a chatroom between them and the Council members under Victoria’s permission.

“By the way, Minato-dono, is it just us for today?”

“I guess so. Everyone seems tired. Well, Rosales-san did actually say something about beauty, though…”

“H, hmm…”

“Eh? What’s wrong?”

“No, it’s just when you talked about Rosales-dono, you seemed to be having fun…”

“Eeh? Really? I didn’t—“

“You didn’t notice? Looks like what Hestianus and others said were true after all…” Misha sighed.

“Uhh… What did they say?”

Reika and Misha paused for a second before giggling.

“Ahem. Well, Hestianus-dono often said that you are an insensitive idiot. And maybe a closeted, shameless pervert de gozaru.”

“Ahahah… But don’t worry, they also said that you don’t mean bad and is quick to help people.”

“Uwaa, how mean… And why does the good part feels like an extra?” Minato lamented.

‘But… For them to actually praise me… Wait, I think Rosales-san could do that just fine.’

“Goooood eveninnng.” Mei suddenly greeted, her face appeared on the monitor.

“Oh, Mei-dono!”

“Wen-san, good evening.”

“Yo. …wait, you all still awake? Not gonna sleep?”

“Eh? Is it time already?” Misha asked.

“Well, almost. But you know Sir Houjou will nag about it later.”

“U… You are right, but… Just a bit more, Mei-dono!”

“I know you two really l—“

“”Waaaaaahhhhhh!”” both Reika and Misha quickly panicked and interrupted her.

“What’s wrong!?” Minato asked out of worry.

“Nothing, they are just overreacting.” Mei sighed. “Oh yeah, Hrimgard— Well, he’s not here again, huh?”

“Mei-dono, are you sure you don’t fancy him?” Reika questioned. “You sure often ask about his whereabouts…”

“…why is that the first thing that came on your mind? I’m not like you, you know.”

“W, what do you mean by that!?”

“Well, I don’t like him that way. I don’t think he’s even my type.”

“Then, what’s your type?”

Mei blinked before her expression suddenly went anxious.

“…wait, what’s my type, again?”

“Shouldn’t you figure it out yourself!?” Reika retorted, earning laughter from Minato and Misha.

‘Haha, they sure got along pretty well.’

“…hm? Wait, Anil, you were there?”

“Eh— Uoh, you’re right!”

True to what Mei said, Anil was present all along, though he seemed to be watching contently while enjoying his masala chai.

“Seriously Anil, you should’ve said something…” Misha laughed dryly.

“Oh, sorry.” Was his only response.

‘I knew that Kumar-san is so silent outside of Duels, but being unnoticed is another thing…!’ Minato mentally noted.

———

Finally saying their goodbyes, Minato then let himself fell unto his bed, feeling tired.

‘Phew, a lot happened today, but it wasn’t all bad.’ He thought. ‘I get to chat with the Pac— Hm?’

Minato noticed the light from his phone and went to check it.

‘A message… From Rosales-san? Let’s see…’

‘Good night, dear Minato ❤ Hope you get to see sweet dreams XOXOXO ‘

Attached is a picture of Carmen in a night gown, deliberately showing off her cleavage.

‘Bwuh!? H, how am I supposed to— Wait, that’s not the problem here!’

Minato was about to give her a piece of his mind, but somehow he changed his mind and laughed it off instead.

“Seriously… I’ll reprimand her tomorrow…”

He glanced outside, looking at the night sky.

‘Tomorrow, huh… Right, the sun will rise again, and I’ll do my best as usual!’

4