Chapter 152: Language Barrier
107 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiki's eyes had a hint of suspicion, he looked at Namida from top to bottom and said. "Why are you asking me?" Ketsueki smacked the back of her little brother's head.

[System: User has received 104 Damage.]

A loud satisfying sound reverted through the entire room while Reiki rubbed the back of his head, he turned to look at his older sister and said. "Why is it, Onee-chan?" Sachi and Namida looked at each other from the corner of their eye. Ketsueki crossed her arms, she spoke in a bland voice. "Because I felt like it… And don't be so suspicious of my friends."

Reiki forced a wry smile on his face, he said. "I just thought the whole thing about asking me about elves was under the bridge already." Ketsueki reached out, pinched his cheek, and started to violently pull on it.

[System: User has received 20 Damage.]

Ketsueki said. "Just answer the questions, period." Reiki tried to make his older sister's hand that was pinching his cheek let go, he said. "I get it! I get it! Onee-chan, please!" Ketsueki let go of her little brother's cheek that was beginning to turn red as Reiki rubbed it to pretend to ease the pain. He let out a sigh and turned to face Sachi and Namida, Reiki said. "No. The elves only lent me the book during my stay at their house." Sachi ran her index finger around the rim of the mug and wiped some whipped cream, she said. "Then how come you're so fluent with it?"

Reiki could feel the glare coming from the back of his head coming from his older sister, he faked a cough and said. "They told me that my elvish had to be quote on quote good enough." Sachi licked the whipped cream off her finger while Namida took out a talisman from her pocket. Namida said. "That doesn't tell us anything." She took out a talisman as it faintly glowed and enveloped the two large mugs in a thin layer of mana.

The mana around the jugs slowly dissipated while the glasses were turned spotless. Namida picked both of them up by the handle and pocketed them, the mugs bent and warped as they looked like they were sucked back into her pocket. Reiki thought. I need one of those. Reiki rubbed the temples on his head and said. "The good-enough standard for elves is if you don't get at least eighty-eight percent, you've pretty much failed." He let out a long sigh and continued. "Let's just say the first day and a half at the elves were the most mentally draining."

Sachi thought for a moment as her gaze wandered around the room, she looked back at him and said. "How about writing? Did they teach you how to write using elvish?" Reiki slightly flinched as he rubbed his right wrist with his left hand and said. "Don't remind me of those times." Ketsueki wrapped her arms around his neck, she said. "Reiki…" She moved him closer as the back of his head felt her cleavage, Ketsueki continued. "Can you show us?"

Reiki's eyes were half-closed, he thought. Knew it… She always acts like this when she wants something… He let out a chuckle and said. "I need some-." Sachi took out a pen and a few pages of paper from her pocket and placed them on the coffee table, she said. "Here you go, no need to be shy." Ketsueki moved her arms away from him while Reiki squatted down and reached out and picked up the fountain pen, he thought. I've been seeing a lot of fountain pens lately. 

He placed one of the pages in front of him while the three girls waited for him in anticipation. Reiko thought. Their behavior is weirding me out… Unless different languages are either too costly or incomplete… Namida placed her feet up on the coffee table making sure she didn't touch any of the paper, she said. "What are you going to write?" Reiki effortlessly spun the fountain pen between his fingers tips a few times, he stopped, took the cap off, and said. "I'll just write your names."

He started writing on the blank page and quickly wrote down all of their names. Reiki placed the cap back on the coffee table as he stood up, he said. "There." Ketsueki picked the piece of paper up and held it with both hands while both of her friends suddenly appeared on both her left and right as the three of them scanned the writings with scrutinizing gazes.

Ketsueki nodded and said. "Yeah, the characters he used are elvish." She passed the paper to Sachi on her left while Namida walked behind the armchair while the two of them continued to look at the writings. Ketsueki grabbed her little brother's arm and pulled him closer to her, she said. "You learned an entire language in less than two days?" She had doubt all over her face and patiently waited for her little brother. Reiki let out a nervous chuckle and said. "I guess this is a bad time to say that they also taught me common tongue."

His older sister's eyes widened while Sachi was carefully rolling the page in her hands, she said. "You learned two languages in less than two days?" Namida crossed her arms while she gave him a weird look, she said. "Even I wouldn't believe you." Sachi pocketed the rolled piece of paper along with the fountain pen while Reiki raised his index finger and said. "In my opinion, common tongue is fairly easy to pick up since the way you pronounce syllabus is similar to English making it easier to learn."

Namida's eyes narrowed, she said. "You also know English?" Reiki thought. Fuck… He faked a cough and said. "Of course I do, they teach it in school." He raised a brow and continued. "Let me guess, you don't?" The corner of Namida's eye twitched as she stomped on the floor once and said. "I do! How about you quit it with your-!" Sachi placed a hand on Namida's shoulder which made her stop, Sachi said. "Alright, no need to see which one of you is wearing the bigger pair of boxers."

Namida raised her arm and tried to slap her friend's hand away while Sachi moved her hand away before she could be hit. Ketsueki pinched the bridge of her nose while slightly shaking her head sideways, she said. "Can we stop with the tasteless comments? At least not in front of…" She pointed at her little brother by nodding in his direction while Reiki ignored the minor innuendo. Sachi made her way back onto the couch and made herself comfortable on it, she said. "Fine, I just have a few more questions to ask."

Reiki pulled himself up the armchair and sat on the armrest on the left while Namida teleported to the couch and plopped on it. Namida placed her feet on the coffee table with the white indoor slippers on and mumbled. "If it were me I would've learned elvish in less than a day." Sachi gave him a peculiar look, she said. "Have you been inside the library?" Reiki looked around the room and felt a finger poke his back, he turned his head sideways to look at his older sister. Ketsueki placed her right arm on the other armrest and rested her head on her palm, she said. "You don't have to worry about… Ahma… She may like to eavesdrop in but when she gets caught she leaves us alone."

Reiki gave her a nod, he turned his head to look at Sachi and said. "Yes, I have been inside the library." He thought. Unrestricted too. Sachi's eyes slightly widened while Namida raised a brow in interest. Namida noticed Ketsueki's lack of reaction as she kept her gaze on the tv, Namida said. "You don't seem surprised." Ketsueki glanced at her, she said. "Oh, he already told me everything."

Sachi's eyes narrowed slightly, she said. "You, forcing us to translate the moment he started speaking elvish says otherwise." Ketsueki moved her gaze onto Sachi, Ketsueki said. "I just wanted to make sure he wasn't hiding anything from me." Sachi flashed her friend a sweet smile, she let out a small laugh and said. "Whatever you say."

Namida placed a hand on her chin, she said. "What kind of books are there?" Ketsueki glanced at her little brother from the corner of her eye, Reiki crossed his arms and said. "Don't know." Namida gave him an odd look while Ketsueki's brows furrowed. Namida's lips curved into a small frown, she said. "Didn't you just-." Before she could finish from the corner of her eye she saw Sachi raise her hand which made her stop.

Sachi placed her hand back down and gave him an analyzing gaze, she said. "How big was the library?" Reiki said. "Don't know." Ketsueki frowned while Sachi continued. "How many books did you read?" Like a machine, Reiki repeated the same answer. "Don't know." Sachi tapped the armrest of the couch, she said. "Did you read books in the library?" Her eyes slightly narrowed while Namida's pupils faintly glowed as she scanned him from top to bottom. Reiki said. "Yep." Namida frowned, she said. "I can see a weak imprint on him."

Ketsueki placed a hand on his little brother's back as she closed her eyes and concentrated. Sachi lazily waved her hand in dismissal and said. "We don't have to worry about anything." Ketsueki moved her hand away from Reiki's back as she wrapped her arms around him and made him sit in her lap, she looked at Sachi and said. "It's just a simple contract." Namida placed both her hands behind her head, she said. "Thought so, from how faint it is. At most, it'll feel like an itch on his skin."

Ketsueki pressed his head between her large chest, she spoke in an indifferent voice and said. "Reiki, was this forced on you?" Her pupils faintly glowed while Sachi raised her hand which got her attention. Sachi said. "Please don't assume the worst scenario when it always involves your little brother. It's just a small test of his character. Worst comes to worst, he won't be able to go back inside the library…" A small triumphant smile formed on her lips, Sachi continued. "Isn't that right, Reiki?"

The three girls observed his expression trying to find the slightest change while Reiki maintained a poker face. The smile on Sachi's lips grew bigger, she gave herself a small pat on the shoulder and said. "I don't blame them, if this knowledge were to leak it'll cause drastic repercussions. '' Ketsueki's brows furrowed, she said. "Didn't you tell me they taught you some simplified versions of their spells?"

Sachi and Namida were surprised to hear that while Reiki nodded and said. "They did, although it's simple for their standards it's levels better than what we have here. Plus they taught it to me for free." Sachi was about to say something when Namida spoke first, she said. "Can you write them on a piece of paper?" The two of them had a hint of expectation in their eyes waiting for his answer, Reiki said. "I can, but I don't have any reason to do it." Namida raised her index finger, before she could say anything Reiki put his right hand up and said. "Before you ask any more questions, I think you two need some context."

He tried to stand up but Ketsueki refused to let him go, Reiki turned his head sideways and looked ho to his older sister and said. "Onee-chan." Ketsueki looked at him and said. "You already sat down." Reiki let out a sigh while Sachi and Namida rolled their eyes at them. Reiki continued. "I was supposed to have more than one contract on me, long story short the princess thought I was weird and-."

Ketsueki kept her gaze on him and indefinitely said. "Was she pretty?" Reiki froze while a small smirk on the corner of Sachi's lips. Namida smirked at his misfortune, Reiki felt the gaze behind his head, he cleared his throat and said. "She was." Ketsueki's eyes narrowed, she said. "Is that all you have to say?" He nodded and said. "... Yes…" Reiki thought. That call made everything difficult.

Reiki scratched his cheek and said. "Onee-chan, can I continue?" Ketsueki raised her right hand which made him flinch, she looked at her dainty finger along with her well-maintained nails. Ketsueki said. "Feel free." He let out a soft sigh, Reiki said. "She made me her part-time errand boy and I fetched a few things for her while being a pack mule."

He gave the two girls sitting on the couch a meaningful look while Sachi and Namida glanced at each other from the corner of their eyes. Sachi moved her gaze back onto him as her lips slowly curved into a cruel smirk, she said. "Keep going, you can't tell us that's everything." Namida adjusted her black frame glasses as they reflected some light, she said. "I'm interested in learning more about this royal blood elf. It's not every day I get an opportunity to know someone like her." She moved her hand away from her glasses as the gleam from them disappeared revealing her brown pupils again. The corner of Reiki's eye twitched, he thought. They're Onee-chan's friends alright… His eyes slightly lit up with hope, Reiki said. "What would you like to know about her?"

Sachi raised her index finger and wagged it from side to side, she said. "If we do that it'll take us all day." A sweet smile formed on her lips, she continued. "If you tell us, about what you think about her and how close you two were. It'll be faster." Reiki could feel the glare behind his head boring a hole into his skull while Ketsueki's gaze was slowly increasingly becoming hostile. A wicked smile slowly formed on Namida's lips, she said. "And let me guess…" Namida placed her index finger on her lips as she spoke in a soft voice almost mimicking a whisper, she said. "She was the one who taught you those spells of yours for free?" Reiki kept a straight face, he thought. How I would love to wrap my hands on both of your necks.

Ketsueki glared at him, she coldly said. "Reiki, why aren't you talking? Cat got your tongue?" He subconsciously swallowed, Reiki said. "... No, I was just thinking about where to start. It's just mostly her bossing me around-." Namida pretended to be shocked as she covered her mouth using a hand, she said. "Don't tell me… Something happened between you two?..." Reiki thought. I wish I had the strength to punch you in the face. Ketsueki stealthily behind her right hand behind her little brother's back and gave him a pinch.

[System: User has received 182 Damage.]

Ketsueki placed her chin on her little brother's shoulder, she said. "Reiki, speak. I didn't raise you to be like this." The grins on Sachi and Namida's lips grew bigger while Reiki pulled on the collar of his shirt, he said. "She had gold hair, sky blue eyes, and pointy ears." Namida nodded at him, she spoke with a hint of sarcasm in her voice and said. "We know what an elf looks like, Reiki. You don't need to describe her." He scratched his head with a hint of frustration, Reiki said. "I just didn't want to talk about it because-." Sachi snapped her finger and pointed at him, she said. "Your hiding something from us?"

[System: User has received 201 Damage.]

He felt another pinch on his back and said. "No, because I was mainly dragged around by her while she showed me off to some of the locals." Reiki thought. I promise I'll make it up to you Nora. He continued. "I carried a few things for her while shopping and in exchange, she taught me a few things. When she heard a few paranoid old elves were planning on placing a few contracts on me she decided to take matters into her own hands…" Namida placed her hand on the armrest of the couch and tapped on it a few times using her index finger, she said. "You're hiding something." As her lisp formed into a smirk.

Reiki rolled his eyes at her and said. "Unfortunately for you, I'm not." Sachi gave him a scrutinizing gaze while Ketsueki's eyes moved onto her friend waiting for her response. Sachi's eyes widened as she abruptly stood up from the couch, she pointed at him and said. "You slept in the same bed!" Both Namida and Ketsueki were shocked as they stared at her, Sachi continued. "How did it happen?!" Ketsueki completely froze while Namida was eyeing Reiki like it was the first time she saw him. He firmly said. "We. Did. Not." His older sister snapped back to her senses as he felt the fingers behind his back move away, Reiki thought. Give me more questions before Onee-chan comes to a conclusion!

Sachi let out a mischievous laugh, she said. "Lies will only make your hole deeper, Reiki." He suddenly heard Ender say. [It's a skill.] Reiki thought. Then why didn't I notice anything? Sachi sat back down on the couch and said. "Come on Reiki, spill it." He opened his mouth to say something when his older sister whispered into his ear, Ketsueki said. "Tell us, I won't get mad." Reiki felt a chill travel down his spine as he glanced at her from the corner of her eye and saw a faint light coming from her glowing pupils as he quickly moved his gaze onto the two girls on the couch.

Reiki forced out a laugh, he said. "It was supposed to be a joke, she placed her arm around my neck and pretended to sleep." Namida let out a sigh and said. "And here I thought you sneaked into her bed." Reiki gave her a deadpan expression, he said. "I'm not you." Sachi flashed him an enigmatic smile, she said. "Interesting… It seems you're very close with elves." He could feel Ketsueki's glare from the back of his head, Reiki faked a cough and said. "Can you tell me the reason why you two aren't well versed in elvish? Are the books that bad?" Namida lazily stretched on the couch, she said. "It's even worse."

Sachi nodded and raised an index finger, she said. "Let's see… If you're willing to pay a premium and know a few people at best you'd get a couple of pages with fifty words on them." He thought. A hundred words in total? Reiki's brows furrowed, he said. "How much is that premium?" Namida smirked and said. "Fifteen platinum coins." Reiki's eyes widened in shock while Namida continued. "Humans are very despised by others. Elves and dwarves may let you in their town but you'll be mocked behind your back." Ketsueki's eyes slowly turned back to normal as she looked at her friends on the couch, she said. "You make it sound like we're treated the worst."

Reiki looked up to his older sister, making his head move deeper into the middle of Ketsueki's cleavage. He said. "We're not?" She looked down at her little brother as a hint of cunning appeared in her eyes, Ketsueki said. "Half-bloods. The beast folk hate them because they look like us and humans hate them because of the animal features they have." Reiki thought. Seriously? If they look anything similar in anime I'd do anything to get in their country. Sachi cleared her throat which got everyone's attention, she said. "But that doesn't mean they're bad… Individuals, Reiki. It's just that… We don't have the best history…"

Reiki pretended to think for a moment and said. "And let me guess… People who can communicate with other species are well sought after because it'll allow for a chance to have a relationship with them." Sachi pointed at him and said. "Exactly." Reiki continued. "How much is the salary?" Namida flashed him a small smirk and said. "200 platinum coins a month." Reiki maintained a straight expression and thought. That little? Ketsueki gave her friend a hostile glare while Namida ignored it and continued. "If you ever need a part-time job, I'll be willing to offer ten platinum." Sachi immediately followed up and said. "I'll offer twenty."

Ketsueki gave her two friends a hostile glare, she said. "You two are this close to being reported to the police for child labor." Reiki patted his older sister's forearm, he said. "Don't worry Onee-chan, I'm not tempted by their offers." Ketsueki's gaze immediately turned back to normal as she looked at him and placed a hand on top of his head, she said. "Even if you were, I wouldn't let you." Reiko rolled his eyes at her and said. "Their offers are too low, with my relationship with the princess and access to the library I would consider it if it were a thousand." Sachi and Namida gave him weird looks while Ketsueki let out a laugh and played with his hair, she said. "Aren't you planning on picking up Shiro yet?"

Reiki raised a brow and said. "It's barely half-past eleven." Ketsueki pinched his cheek and continued. "Yeah, but I remembered she's going home early today because the school is planning a tournament." Sachi looked at the ceiling and spoke with a hint reminiscent in her voice, she said. "It's that time of the year again." Namida smiled and moved her gaze onto Ketsueki. Namida said. "Are you planning on entering her or?" Ketsueki shook her head, she said. "No, her strongest affinity is water, so…" She picked her little brother up from her lap as Reiki landed on the floor with a soft thud.  Ketsueki continued. "Go, if you hurry you might be able to come back here and be on time for lunch."

4