Fifty-Three
1.5k 2 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A jade dagger twirled, battered and cracked, it spun atop a pale hand as Samuel stared at his 'boss.'

"Did he take the bait?" Walker asked through a screen at an attentive Chase.

"I think so. The girl followed the info broker," The boy at the other end scratched his cheek, replying with a bit of doubt.

"Then he did," The slum lord said, sighing and relaxing into his chair, "Follow after the two, report to me their conversation, and tail the info broker once they split up. By the end, I want to know where she lives, I want to know what makes her tick, and I want to know just how much she knows. You have my permission to do anything to achieve that goal, do you understand?"

The city definitely had their hands in this conflict, even he hadn't expected Brian to get his hands on drones, that much had shocked him. However, Walker still had no idea just how much Alos had invested into extending its reach into the slums.

"I understand, father."

The plan had worked splendidly, Samuel thought.

'As much as I dislike him, he still is competent.'

They hadn't simply retreated from the outskirts of the Red District due to the shield surrounding it as many had assumed. They may not have the support of a city backing them up, but if it was only breaking through a shield, that much was possible with enough bombardment of fire power. Yet, Walker did not want that.

He had them retreat.

And when Brian Chaz saw them weak, he attacked, creating a chaotic situation and giving a chance for him to contact Rose.

By anyone's thinking, only a brain dead buffoon would not recognize when they were outmatched by multiple Gear wielders. It was only a matter of time before Brian would try and poach one of them. And, easily, Walker gave him that chance at no cost to any of those loyal to him. Well, save for some soldiers.

'Some pawns.'

He roped in Rose, had her show off her might, and would easily give her away to advance if needed. It was a situation where he had given Brian the perfect person to reach out and 'poach'.

"You may go now, I've already sent Lilias to handle defending the base."

Samuel flicked a finger, the dagger spinning as Paul Walker finally rolled his chair around to look at him. There was a smile upon that lord's face.

"It's almost time. You have a day to get rid of the two. I'll tell you where she went after."

The dagger stopped. The blade pointed at Walker.

"Mhmm," The sword master replied, taking the thing back into a small sheath on his thigh.

He turned around, three swords strapped to his hip as he walked.

It was not yet time.

— — —

A crunch resounded as teeth ripped through beef jerky.

"Ah, man, that was exhausting," A boy mouthed between crunches as he stared at a screen.

He sat, legs crossed, black hair wafting behind him, and golden eyes looking at the one media he enjoyed: A competition between Rankers.

Today was a match that involved his favorite, a recently up and coming star. A girl with tanned skin and a cheery expression who wore bike shorts and looked quite tomboyish with her ponytail, especially when added with that white shirt and jacket that seemed to levitate behind her.

She bounced around the arena, fists up with a grin and moving with grace as she dodged a man's flurry of sword strikes then nimbly evaded the sparks of lightning that came with them. A single strike and she would become numb.

"Oh oh she looks psyched today," He commented, crunching another jerky between his lips as he smiled, "Definitely enjoying herself. Yup yup, one v one battles are definitely more her thing. Shame she lost points in the previous rounds though."

He shook his head in lamentation.

"Ha, I've gotta go to one of her meet and greets."

A door closed behind him.

". . ."

The boy swerved his head around to meet eyes with a stern face, crimson eyes piercing down at him below blonde bangs. The woman stood, sighing a huff as she placed her hands to her hips.

She walked forward, pale brown legs reaching below her white skirt which resembled that of business wear.

". . .how are you still here just sitting there? Have you even moved a lick since yesterday night?"

She stood behind him and he found himself staring up at her.

"Sis, you're too harsh you know? Obviously I went to the bathroom and to the kitchen to get some snacks, you know?" He shook the bag of beef jerky in his hands as he blinked his eyes. "Oh right, I took the last one so could you buy some more when you go ou—"

A force struck him and his body pummeled into the smooth ground. For a moment, dizziness assailed him and his eyes blurred before an orange aura fluttered upon his skin and everything came back still.

He looked up to see a foot planted upon his face and crimson eyes glaring down at him. Still, he smirked.

"I can see your panties."

That earned him another stomp to the face.

"Humph, does it look like I care?" She replied, "Hurry up and get up you sloth, this room is filthy. Go out and have a stretch will you? Gah—I need to clean this filthy mess."

"But sis. . .it just reached the best part. . .?"

"I don't care, go catch a blaze falcon."

"Fuck, why do I have to—"

He earned another stomp to his face.

"Brother of mine, are you a dolt?" She sighed, "Or do you want to disappoint Eve that much? Weren't you the one who said they'll be at your tail soon enough? Stretch your body a bit, would you? It would be embarrassing if you got smacked around from being rusty, don't you think? Hmm? Hmm?"

Brian Chaz finally crawled up from the ground at those words. Although very unwillingly while he mumbled some unpleasant words.

"Fine." He stretched his bare upper body. "It's just a winged chicken anyway. I'll be back in a bit."

He grabbed his bag of beef jerky and walked past his sister, who stood two heads taller than he as he hummed a tune while his left hand reached into the pocket of his red shorts.

"Sheesh," The woman sighed and shook her head, "I'm the younger sister but why am I the caretaker. . .shouldn't it be the other way around?"

She shook her head again and looked around the cluttered room. No wonder the boy did not wear a shirt or even a pair of shoes. . .the place was a mess of clothes and junk. She had no idea how he even slept there.

She sighed once more, fingers rubbing between her eyes.

'As much as he's a NEET, at least everything's going to plan and his acting isn't terrible.' She justified his inattentiveness and moved on to cleaning the room. '. . .but why does it feel like he's just having fun while I do all the work?'

63