Chapter 5: Moving Emotions
567 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

#Unedited

“Again, take the basic stance and strike.” Zell

“Hah!”

“Too weak! Arms, Legs, stomach, all wrong!” Zell

“Hah!!”

“Hiyah!”

Hearing the shouts from the other side of the field where Shelton and Enri are training, I can’t help but sympathize with them. Captain Zell is really strict as always.

Where and why we are here training?

In fact, we are at one of the training grounds for knights inside the royal castle training in the hot afternoon sun. It’s been about two weeks since we were summoned. Everything has been very hectic so far, and a lot of things happened.

First, after finding out about our status and the ruckus about our ranks (with the people surprise and admiration of Shelton and Enri’s never-seen-before starting rank of 2 stars, and the disappointment of my hollow rank) Shelton and Enri finally decided after a heated discussion between the six of us.

It went like this.

“What do you guys think?” Shelton

“I don’t really know.” Chizu

“I do feel some kind of power inside of myself but…” Kana

“Are you really asking that of a hollow rank, Shelton?” Me

“Ahaha, I am not asking you Serika, I am asking you Enri.” Shelton

“It’s fine if I just fight, right?” Enri

“I mean they did make it clear that some of us have to fight so that we can go back home right?” Enri

“Yes, that and I think it’s better to fight with them as they seem like they really need help.” Shelton

“Hah! You with your nice guy act. I bet you are just as hyped up to try out the new strength you feel as I do.” Enri

“As long as they take good care of us.” Mina

“So?” Both Enri and Shelton turned to look at me as if asking for a final opinion to which I raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t worry Serika, we’ll protect you.”

“Do as you like.” Me

I had no choice but to give a sigh and relented.

And with new found resolve, Shelton announced in front of the king.

“Alright, we have decided. we will help you fight off the demon lord.” Shelton

“Ooh, you have our thanks Shelton-dono. Having you by this country’s side is our greatest blessing.” King

With all the main discussion completed, we moved on to the details of the things provided for us when living inside the royal palace and what we’ll need to do.

To summarize:

Basic necessities such as food, housing, clothes, and whatever else each of us needs will be provided with their utmost ability.Our freedom is not limited to just the castle, we can also go out to town albeit must be reported and with escorts.We are required to learn the most basic form of fighting until we’re deemed able or strong enough to at least protect ourselves.Future activities might include monsters or demons’ subjugation as well as exploration, so it is recommended that we try to become as strong as possible.Any further issues or questions can be answered by the princess as she will be our guardian during the times of our stay in the royal palace.With this, most of the main issues were finished. I’m surprised that it took almost half a day though all of it was done by Shelton with Enri requesting here and there with the king and many officials standing in the hall.

Hmm? I did listen you know. Just that I got bored halfway through and I’m sure I can just leave it to the two of them, especially Shelton. After everything was dealt with, the king had the princess take us to our rooms, and told us to rest properly or that our training starts tomorrow.

Our rooms were in a different building west of the main building where we had an audience with the king. Although I said it’s a different building, the distance between the two is not even that much as you can get back and forth in just ten minutes. Not to mention there was a big empty field just a little bit away from the building, and it seems that will be our training ground.

First, we were led to the first room on the first floor which has been decided that it will be the princess’s room. By the way, the princess decided to stay at the same building with us with the excuse that she’d be able to answer all our calls and needs easier this way. Is it really alright for a country’s princess to be so carelessly staying with strangers like this? Oh wait, Shelton is the hero anyway, I’m sure it must be some kind of plot to get along with the heroes or something.

Moving on, the room across from the princess’s room seems to be given to me though it seems it’s maybe the safest room or so with the princess’s guards as that was probably what the baka duo thought as they just kept forcing me to stay there. The rest of the rooms got distributed and we were told to rest and our dinner will be sent to our rooms afterwards.

After going into my room, I found that the room was pretty good, and it gives off a very peaceful feeling. A cream colored canopy bed, same colored curtains, a wooden table set that gives off a calming aura. There’s also a closet, and inside was what seems to be many sets of different female clothing including underwear. I’m sure this room is for a female, I’m amazed that the staffs of the castle work so fast, even what seems to be underwear and even sanitary is prepared. As I tried out the mattress, I feel fatigue came crashing on me. Huu, with all the things that happened today, I’m not surprised even if someone were to tell me I lost twenty years of my life.

Everything was so different from the game. The summon, the issue of going back. So many changes happened. ‘It could be because of me’ or so the thought keeps popping up in my head but thinking back what I did probably didn’t have that much of an effect. Shelton still became a dense harem maker, Enri is still showing qualities of a womanizer, and my status is still the useless type.

I wonder will I really die two months from now?

While thinking such thoughts, I feel my eyelids growing heavy and I drifted off to the dreamland without thinking of the countermeasure for my death flag.

By the time I woke up, the sun has already set, and the sky was dyed in red-ish purple with two rising moons. The only difference between this world and earth’s sky is that there are two moons in this world and there are only 360 days in a year which means there are only 30 days in a month. Everything else is the same including the hours, minutes, and second format.

There was a knock on the door, and when I answered yes, a maid came in with a trail of food. Ah it seems it’s time for dinner. After thanking the maid for the food and asking if the others had the same kind of treatment, the maid answered yes, I ate the food while asking small details like the schedules for tomorrow, and about the kingdom. Oh, I also asked her where the library is and whether there is a medical department or alchemy research center in the palace. From what I got from her, it seems there is a knight group in charge of alchemy here in the royal palace. I got surprised that it is a knight group instead of a magician guild but she said the alchemists there are mostly magicians but since they are employed directly by the king, there was a protest with the regulations so they ended up as a special knight group instead.

I finished the meal satisfied, and while I was thinking of going to learn there by talking to the princess about it tomorrow. I heard another knock on the door.

The ones who came were no one else but Enri and Shelton.

Aren’t you guys tired? I thought you said to rest?

“Urm, Serika, sorry for bothering you but I just felt a little uncomfortable and by the time I noticed I was already in front of your room.” Enri

“I came because I wanted to talk to you.” Shelton

“Oh, and here I found this flower near my window sill.” He said as he handed me a pink flower. Ah, I know this one. It’s a wild flower called Sharla, and it can be used as a charm warding off bad luck or so it was said in one of the settings as Shelton’s favorite flower. Don’t tell me, has the event of him falling for this flower already happened!?

“Did you perhaps meet with the princess on the way here as well, Shelton?”

“yeah, she was looking over the balcony.” And so that’s how it happened huh. A heartfelt talk under the moonlight and cool wind… Shelton is such a damn romantic.

“Geez, have more awareness towards these things already Shelton. You should have given this to the princess, why did you bring it here instead?”

“Hmm, what do you mean? I just thought you’d like it so I brought it to you, maybe you don’t like it?” Shelton said while dropping his eyes looking at the flower. Uuuu, I totally did not see his imaginary ears and tail drooping down, I really didn’t see a sad retriever when I look at him.

“i-it’s not that I don’t like it…” “you like it then it’s good.” Shelton went from an abandoned puppy to a lively Labrador with a melting smile in no time at all. Urgh, I can feel my heart beating so fast from his smile. Stop it already…

“Serika~ don’t ignore your brother, I’m here to you know.” Enri got in between us and all of a sudden pulled me into a hug.

“what the hell are you doing?” Of course, my reaction is to push his face away, but inside I can’t help but thank him for being here as a savior for my maiden heart from the silver-eyed evildoer Shelton. Wait silver eyed? It seems Shelton had removed his black lens already.

“Serika~you are so heartless, your brother went through a lot today so I need some healing~ ” though Enri’s annoying level makes it all pretty much even.

“Go away, you siscon!” and so our interaction is still the same as at home. I guess having the usual mood of conversation makes the three of us calm down or so I think that why the two of them came here.

Rosemarie’s POV

As a country’s princess, one would always have to act with one’s status in mind. This was what my late mother, the previous queen of Esteral, taught me since I was a child. I am to never act spoilt nor to act too childish, that I am supposed to be a mature child, and that one day when I am sent off for a political marriage, I would not disgrace the name of Esteral. While other children were playing around in the garden, I was going through my rigorous training as a princess, locked up in the same buildings inside the royal palace. I never really thought about why I had to work so hard at my training. I don’t love my trainings nor do I hate them as I thought they were my responsibilities as a princess. I have never envied the spoiling love my mother gave towards my brothers. At some point, what was left of me was just indifference, an indifferent doll that only knows my responsibilities. By the time my busy father, the king, and my brothers noticed my indifference, it was already too late. That was until the crimson night 3 years ago.

At the time, in order to celebrate the coronation of the demon king Astroa, the demons deployed a suicide team and assaulted the capital of Esteral as well as a few other human countries. It was indeed a crimson night. Fires ablaze screams rampant, although the knights responded in time but the loss was evident. The death of the queen was announced the next day. Mother was at mine and my brother’s sleeping quarters that day. She was there to read my little brother Elias a story book. Elias who was 9 years old at the time insisted we all sleep together, and then the demons attacked. I stood there watching as my mother stood in front of me as a shield. In my hazy line of vision, I saw the demon stabbed my mother in the chest before losing consciousness. By the time I came to, I was in my room, on my bed and father told me that mother died. By the time I noticed, I was crying, the first and probably last tears I’ve ever shed. All my emotions flooded out. Why? Why am I crying? Was it because mother died? Was it due to sadness? Or was it relief?

It seems it was always on my mind, the reason I tried so hard, the reason I closed off my world to indifference, it was because I was longing for mother’s love and praise, I hated her yet I wanted her love. Just a ‘You have done well’ was enough.

But now, I will never get the chance to hear it. I cried and screamed my feelings: ‘Why? Why do you have to die, mother!? I haven’t heard you say you love me yet. I haven’t been spoilt yet. I haven’t got anything I really wanted from you yet. Yet, yet… why did you shield me!? Why!?’

If you didn’t love me you should have acted like you didn’t until the end. Why did you give me hope, why did you have to make me hate myself even after your death!!??

Watching me cry and bursting all my emotions, all father did was hugged me and said sorry. ‘Sorry for neglecting you.’, ‘Sorry for all those things you never get to do.’ ‘Sorry for only focusing on your brother.’ ‘Sorry for not telling you that we love you.’ Father cried at the end of his sorry. ‘It’s all my fault. You can blame me. It was due to me that your mother was pressured to groom you to be the perfect princess. It was because I was incompetent that your mother became strict to you.’ He continued: ‘but one thing I am sure about. That is your mother loved you.’

‘*sob* Uwwaaaah!!*sob*’

Three years after that, I always did what I wanted to do, get what I wanted to have and loved. As if to compensate the hole that was left by mother. My father, knowing that granted whatever I requested. With my light aptitude, I became a priestess, I travelled around the country, and I became my dream job as a light maiden after pulling many tricks. I achieved the authority to partly command the temple forces. Yet, it was still empty. I really want someone who can fill it or perhaps I wanted love.

Amidst all that, the threat of the demons was intensifying. Finally, father gave the order to perform the ancient hero summoning. Hoping that the hero would help us protect this country. I too put all my hopes in the hero. Even after all I have been through, I still love this country, the country where mother lived.

Although the summoning failed a few times, it finally succeeded at last. Eh?

There are five people too many, aren’t there?

Two boys and four girls. This is not mentioned in the ancient script though.

For now, let’s try to talk to them. As I was opening my mouth, my gazed stopped on one of the boys summoned. Black hair, black gentle eyes that is now showing anxiety, the well-proportioned nose, and lips that would show the brightest of smiles. I was captivated and I can hear my heart beating profusely. My line of sight was glued on him. His name is Shelton L. Ainsworth. I have imagined what would a hero be like countless times, but at this moment, I realized that the gentle hero of the goddess of light as described in the myths can be no one but him.

I had to do all I can in order to make him stay and protect this country. Moreover, if possible I want him to love me. If it is him then I am sure…

However, I have to bear with it and move slowly, things should be done one step at a time. As I thought his smiles are as bright and gentle as the light of purification itself. His aura is also so gentle. However, his gentle smiles are not directed at me.

Kurozawa Serika, was it? She seems to be his childhood friend but I can’t help but feel like there is more to it. I have been observing him since the summon but when his eyes land on her, they seem to glow more with gentleness and perhaps affection. They were his brightest smiles.

While thinking about that in my room, I decided to go outside for some fresh air. Then he came. He was holding a pink flower ‘Sharla’ renown for bringing good luck. My heart started beating and I was filled with nervousness.

“Princess.” His gentle voice was heard just a little bit above my head as I was pretending to look over the balcony.

“Ah, mister Shelton.” I turned my head towards him, and for a moment a was shocked.

His hair as I recalled from before was black but now it became the color of the light, blonde.

His black eyes now also changed to the brightest silver of the moons.

“your-hair, ah eyes…”

“Ah, sorry for surprising you but this morning I was wearing a wig and lens.”

“Wig? Lens?” I know about wigs but what are lens?

“You might not know it but this is my natural color you see. There were some circumstances that require me to change my colors.”

“I- I see. Amazing… To think there was such amazing sorcery for changing your eye colors in Mr. Sheton’s world.”

“Ahaha, it’s not sorcery princess. It’s called lens, contact lens.” *bathump* *bathump* His laughing face is making my heart beat so fast, and I can feel my face heating up.

“is that so?” I said as if to cover my embarrassment.

“Hmm, princess.” I became nervous as he stared at me and then my breath almost stopped when I felt his breath coming closer. I’d already lowered my head down trying calm my beating heart by the time I noticed.

“Don’t you think it is too stiff to keep calling me Mr. Shelton?”

“E-eh, I- I think it’s most appropriate to call you that.” I said that while stuttering.

“That’s too formal, since we are going to work together from here afterwards, why not use something else?”

“what? Sh-should I call you hero-sama?”

“Your hair is touching your eyes, princess.” He stretched his arms then gently tuck a clump of my hair which fell to around my eyes to my ears as if demanding that I say something he is satisfied with.

“then- Sh-She-Shelton..Shelton-san…”

“That’s more like it.” He finally leaned back and smiled towards me. It’s good that it’s dark right now otherwise he’ll be able to see that my face is probably as red as a tomato right now.

“Well, then you should go to sleep now princess. It’s pretty cold out here.” Satisfied he gave me another smile.

“Eh?” what about the flower he is holding? It might just be me over expecting things but I did think he was going to give that to me.

“hmm? Ah, I’m going to visit Serika for a bit and give her this flower, so don’t worry and go back to your room okay? Well, good night, Rosemarie.” Seems like he misunderstood my confusion as to where he is going.

“Good night.” He called me Rosemarie and I am supposed to be happy. I can’t help but clench my fist when thinking about his previous words, so the flower was for her...

“Princess Rosemarie?” As I was standing there, my maid Shana who was hiding behind the curtains of the balcony showed herself.

“*Chuckle*It seems that they get along incredibly well as childhood friends, don’t you think princess Rosemarie?” Shana

“My lovely little princess is jealous, aren’t you? That your finally found prince is actually meant for someone else is just pitiful, right?” Shana

“What do you want Shana?” One can probably tell from the way she talks to me that Shana is actually no normal maid. She is my most confidant helper trained by a certain person and acts as my maid on the outside.

“Well~ Nothing actually, just that I feel that I should help our little Rosemarie here out a bit.” Shana

“you are getting bolder, Shana. You know you are still my maid, right?”

“Ufufu, yes, your majesty. I am aware that I am your ‘personal’ maid, and my mission is to help ‘give’ you what you want, isn’t it just like that time with the high priest?” Shana

“Didn’t I tell you not to bring that up again? Or have you forgotten your reason for existence?”

“*chuckles* Oh, how scary. I haven’t forgotten yet, princess. It is just that I am asking for your acknowledgement for my ‘helping’ you in the near future.” Shana

“…”

“Ufufufu, seems like I am allowed to move, aren’t I?” Shana

“Just don’t go too far.” After I finished saying that in a soft voice, I heard Shana’s chuckle.

I have long since vowed to always try to get what I want. I will never cower and wait for things to fall in my hands. I have decided to move by myself no matter what way it is, I will get what I want.

So that one day, the hole will be filled….

3