Gamer’s Guide to: Skills
43 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What’s up, gamers? It’s ya boi, Karl, back at it again with another guide! Today, we’re going over the skill system of R&C!

The first things to go over are the types of skills. Just like classes, there are types of everything in this game. Anywho, there are five types of skills: Personality, Battle, Celestial, Arcane, and Monster. They’re all very distinct and serve specific purposes in the game. While you could get by doing tasks that require these types of skills, it’s generally recommended that you use them for an easier time.

Personality

Personality-type skills (PTS) affect your character’s social life. While the Charisma attribute generally allows you to have better dialogue options, a PTS lets you directly affect the minds of NPCs and mobs around you. The Command skill, for instance, lets you force an NPC to do what you want right at this very second. Attracting Shout alerts players and NPCs alike that a nearby [Peddler] has wares to sell. They’re extremely effective against NPCs with a lower Charisma than your character but I’d be careful against going up against those higher-leveled. A skill like Good Trade might work on a wandering [Lvl 3 Squire], but you might find yourself in serious trouble if you try to BS a [Lvl 47 Winged Knight] into buying a low-quality trinket.

Battle

Battle-type skills (BTS) affect, obviously, combat. While any other player can throw a punch and deal some damage, a [Lvl 10 Pugilist] would deal about twice as much damage using Hard Punch than regular punching. While fighting classes are obviously rewarded with a ton of BTS, skills not geared toward fighting come with one or two just in case. Case in point, the [Lord] class ([Lady], if your character is female). At level 1, it gets the skill Indignant Slap which not only deals damage, but it has a 10% chance to cast the Shamed debuff - and the chance increases as the [Lord’s] Charisma rises.

Celestial and Arcane

I’ve lumped these two together because CTS and MTS are pretty much the same things. Both are magic, they just come from different sources. Celestial magic users are usually [Paladins] and [Priests]. They get their magical power from celestials and abstain from any and all arcane spells. Arcane magic users - [Wizards], [Witches], and [Warlocks] - use the arcane energies given from patrons or what’s present in the world, such as plants, crystals, and the like. While they can use celestial magic, it’s generally a twisted version because they haven’t aligned themselves with a celestial. Classes like [Necromancer] or [Dark Priest] are included.

Monster

Monster-type skills are incredibly obscure. Not many players have them and those that do are urged to keep them secret. No starting class gets one when they first start and you have to go out to find a class that uses them before you can put them to any good use. However, they’re not impossible to get if you have enough time, resources, and incredible luck. Karl Jr., my character, is an [Axe Lord] who gained the skill Werebear Rage after defeating the mega boss Dave the Ursa Major. It turns him into a furry, hulking mass of pure ursine terror. I’m really proud of my little boy for picking it up.

Anyway, now that we’ve got the skill types down, let’s go over the skill categories. I’ve mentioned them briefly already but they’re Class and General skills. Class skills are skills specifically made for a certain class. Not to say that another class couldn’t use them but a [Spearman] would not receive Harvest Crap as the class progressed. A [Farmer], however, gets that at level 1 as a class skill. Here’s where general skills come into play. While Harvest Crop would not appear on a [Spearman] skill tree, it is on the general skill tree when a character reaches Body 20 and Agility 15. It would be less effective as a general skill, but still available for your character to use.

High class-levels and attributes will fill both your class and general trees up rapidly. At each minor class milestone (i.e level 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 40, and so on) you’ll get the option of choosing between multiple skills for free. The other options will go on your skill tree for you to purchase for EXP. The same goes for the general skill tree; skills that require fewer Attributes to function will cost less EXP.

I would recommend you hold back on buying a general skill unless it’s absolutely necessary, otherwise, it’s a waste of EXP. I made the mistake of buying Karlie - that’s my Mountain Elf [Lvl 45 Sprite Witch] I’d made back when I first started R&C - the skill Whirlwind of Steel after I’d found this rare {Hearthsteel Rapier}. Whirlwind of Steel is a [Lvl 20 Metal Knight] and meant to use with medium-heavy armor, because it hurts the character, too, when they spin in a circle with their weapon. I hadn’t known that at the time, but it would’ve helped when she got surrounded by lvl 30 Fire Hobs. That little escapade had not gone well, let me tell you.

Any observation skills that don’t come with your class I would definitely recommend getting. They can be a lifesaver in certain situations. Plus, it’s just always handy to have that type of skill on you. I’ve got tons more input on general skills you should or shouldn’t pick up, so make sure you check it out.

That’s all I’ve got for you today. This was Karl and I’ll catch you in another guide, gamers!

1