33—Ray’s Truth
3.6k 15 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes widened.

"Did you... just..."

She smiled.

"You asked me to call you that, right? The night you saved me."

I nodded dumbly.

"Well... I think I'm finally ready. But I'll still call you Master when I'm in my maid outfit, as is only proper."

I nuzzled her hair. "Thank you, Aina. I... I don't know what to say... for now, could you say my name again?"

"Ray. Ray, Ray, Ray." She complied, content.

"I love hearing you say it. I love you, Aina. I love you with all my strength. So much my chest hurts. I hate how this cruel world treated you, but I can't change the past. What I can promise you, Aina, is that I'll do everything in my power so that you'll never, ever be hurt again."

She nuzzled her face into my chest again, and gave it a deep whizz. "I love you, Ray. You're my everything. And I would go through all the pain I'm the world for you. I dedicate my life to you."

I shook my head.

"What a stubborn girl. I'll allow that for now, but I want you to learn to live for yourself."

She didn't respond, instead inhaling deeply once more.

Then I remembered a question I'd meant to ask her a while ago, but I hadn't since I hadn't wanted to interrupt her story.

"So, Aina, was your father an..." 'Wait, I don't know how to say 'elf' in this world's language!' "...did he have pointy ears like yours?"

She tilted her head in confusion.

"No, they were normal and rounded. He wasn't a freak like me..."

'Ah, I see. Half-elf it is then. So her mother was an elf... did she run away from her people, only to be caught and taken back? I don't have enough information... well, it doesn't really matter right now. I'll have time to figure it out later...'

"I love you, Ray." A voice startled me out of my thoughts.

I smiled.

"I love you too, Aina."

"I love you."

My smile grew wider. But then a thought gave me pause.

"I love you with all my heart. And... there's something I want to tell you, Aina."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Since you've told me about your past... I should tell you the truth about me, too." I cringed despite myself. I didn't know how she'd take me being from another world. It might destroy our relationship; but, it was better to get it over with as soon as possible. I didn't want there to be any secrets between us.

"You see, Aina... I'm actually not from this world. Well, part of me is. I know it's confusing, but please bear with me. I lived a life in a completely different world, one without magic, and when I died my soul somehow merged with that of the real Raynold Bloodhart, creating who I am now. I'm not the old Raynold who used to inhabit this body"

I exhaled, having finally said my secret out loud felt strangely good, as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I still hadn't finished explaining, though.

"That's why I'm so... weird. In my old world, the sense of beauty, especially for females, was completely different. Not quite the opposite as this world's, but pretty much.

"So, I took advantage of that. Like a manipulating bastard, I went to a slave shop and got myself a pretty maid, who felt indebted to me, for cheap. I didn't save you out of kindness and slowly fall in love with you despite your appearance, I just did what would benefit me the most. I acted like the selfish prick I am."

The sun finally left the sky, leaving behind a dark sky devoid of stars or moon.

I looked down at Aina, still sitting on my lap.

She looked back at me, her face impassive, betraying no emotion.

She blinked.

"So?"

I blinked.

"So... shouldn't you be angry with me? I've been keeping secrets from you all this time, even lying about my identity, shouldn't you be mad?" I asked, incredulous.

She tilted her head.

"No? Why would I? Firstly, it would be normal to hide the fact that you're not the old Raynold in such a bizarre situation; in fact, even telling it to me is risky, even though I'm overjoyed that you trusted me enough to tell me. Also, although this was completely unexpected, I still suspected that something was going on. After all, according to the other maids, your behaviours and mannerisms changed completely a few weeks ago.

"But, more importantly, you saved me, Ray. You freed me and took me in. No matter how selfish or manipulating you think your actions were, it isn't that way at all from where I see it. All that matters to me is that you gave me a life worth living, and that you love me, no matter the reason. So, why should I be mad? If anything, I'm excited about hearing what this other world is like."

She paused for a moment.

"I love you, Ray. I always will."

The dark sky couldn't prevent the beaming smile she gave me from reaching my eyes.

"I love you too, Aina. Thank you for accepting me. And..."

I inhaled a mouthful of cold air, them let out a deep breath. I peered into Aina's hazel eyes.

"...I can't hold back anymore."

75