Ch12: The End Of The War Part 2
2.5k 3 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The End Of The War Part 2

Vienna, Austria

An explosion shook the room, shattering the windows that were in the hallway, I could even feel the expansion wave, and my fox ears felt like they were bleeding from the noise, which was so loud that it shattered the eardrums of my fox ears. But I was alive, and I could still hear a beeping sound in my normal ears, so I could still hear a little when the effects of the blow wore off.

"Hell, that was pretty close to ending badly," I said out loud.

I got to my feet as quickly as I could, but when I looked back to where the dark girl was, there was nothing there, she had left somewhere. I tried to check the place quickly, but there was no sign of her. So I assumed that she really had retired. Seeing that I had finally cleared the place of threats, I got another shot of adrenaline. Now I only had one left, as one of them broke with the explosion of the grenade.

Then I finally got close to one of the computers and started to use it. And by sheer luck it was unlocked, ready to be used, surely when they gave the order to evacuate, whoever was using it left it behind without noticing. Later, when I could hear again, I listened to the radio, which seemed to be playing for a while.

"What is this?"
"Valkyria is entering the data of her own project!"
"What is she doing?" Said the young woman, War Lady.

"Is she acting on her own?" The mysterious woman who was her superior replied in panic.
"How is it possible that she is capable of that!"
"She's not just acting on instinct!"
"And how did she know where the data was?"
"We have to stop her now!"

I discovered you while you were talking to each other. Actually, I did not have to do anything to get the information, you gave it to me. But I think they must be horrified to see that their "weapon" has been turned against them, I would be too.

As the radio conversations continued, I began to search through the files on the computer. But most of what was there was surveillance data and numbers on who knows what.

"This is War Lady."
"Phoenix Team, where the hell are you? I'm almost there, I need you there now!"

"Phoenix 1"
"Just entering the building, it will only be a matter of time before we find her"

"This is Arcadia 1"
"We are still a few blocks away from the location, we are currently under enemy fire, I will need some time to reach them"

"War Lady"
"The helicopter is landing now, Phoenix is sending someone to pick me up now."

"And what happened to the sedatives?" asked the woman in charge of everyone else.

"We don't know why it's not working either," the young girl replied.
"We have already given the full dose, but it is still not working".
"She should have been unconscious for a long time, but there was no effect.

"There was also a vulnerability to this!?"
"It's completely out of our control and it's attacking one of our bases"
"This is no accident.
"I want to know what is happening!" replied the other girl.

Well, I finally found the security measures file!

I

It seems that in order to be on a long term mission behind enemy lines they did not apply more extreme measures, but it says that I have a locator next to the collar.
I don't have any additional restrictions! It also says that he should be able to live like any normal person!

If it says I have a GPS on my collar, how come the Alliance is having trouble finding me?

"Teams on the ground, listen up," the leader said to everyone on the radio.
"If they don't succeed with the plan, I'll have to advance the missile bombardment of the place."
"So you should leave the place if you see that this is not going to work out well".

But that last transmission did not come from my radio, there was someone near the door of the room. They are already here!

With no time to escape the confrontation, I grabbed my rifle and fired at the entrance. My gun was unloaded, so I immediately started reloading it. The moment the soldier took advantage of to enter the room and attack me. Seeing that I would not have time to get the weapon ready before he pointed it at me, I better jumped on him and pushed him with a kick.

"Damn, she's fast, I couldn't shoot," he shouted.

It was Cedric. He had a serious face that he almost never showed, he was dirty all over and had dark circles on his face that he had no doubt been fighting for several days. Seeing that I hesitated for a moment to look at him, he took the opportunity to speak directly to me.

"What do you think you're doing?!"
"We were supposed to be allies!"

"What am I doing?"
"Trying to get out of here alive like everyone else," I replied.

When I was distracted by answering him, he tried to hit me with a punch, but I stopped him with my injured arm and hit him in the face with the other.

"I accept it."
"That was a good punch," he told me.
"But why are you doing this, we're finally getting close to ending this".
"To be able to have a normal life."
"And you come to fight just because you wanted to?"
"Haven't you had enough fighting?"

"Do you think there is something waiting for me after this?" I told him.
"If I don't get out of here now, it will be the end for me."
"If I stay with you, they will kill me too."
"I will not let that happen just because someone tells me to die in silence."
"And look into my eyes when you talk to me!""

!!!

I heard something behind me!
It's a trap!

I threw myself sideways to avoid whatever it was they were about to throw at me.

"This is bad," Cedric said.

"That was very good," I said to him.
"Distract me so he can shoot myself from the other side."
"But"

I fired my gun without looking back. Only to hear the scream of one of Cedric's men who took the hit.

"Only an evil being would do such a thing!"
"I won't let you hurt anyone else!" Cedric replied in anger.

"It hurts me that you can only see in black and white."
"The world is not just good versus bad.
"Many times you have to do things you do not want to do, just for something that should be simple, like staying alive.
"Maybe you will understand when you are older and it is you they are hunting like an animal".

Again I came back to hear another sound, just near the entrance the previous soldier had used. I prepared to attack again. But seeing that I might be able to use this and the captain's innocence of trying to become a hero again, I decided not to kill whoever it was and would use him as a hostage.

"Who's behind me this time?"
"Do you really think the same trick will work twice?"

"Xi'an, watch out!"

I ran to the entrance and took her hand, putting it between me and Cedric. And just as he had warned, it was a girl. She was quite pretty, young, with beautiful yellow eyes, Asian features, black hair, and dressed like any civilian who shouldn't be in the middle of a military base in a war zone.

"Help!!!" she shouted.

"That voice!"
"But you really are War lady!"
"It's nice to meet you in person!"
"You have no idea how much you have helped me do all this."
"How much time is left before they bomb this place?" I said, trying to sound like a bad guy to see how Cedric would react.

"Let her go!"
"She has nothing to do with this!"

I fire my gun in warning mode at Cedric.

"She has nothing to do with this?"
"Do you think I don't know how the world works?"
"Just look around you."
"A civilian would not be in a place with so many soldiers in the middle of a war."
"How much time is left?"

I aimed at her head.

"About 10 minutes left"
"Please let me live, I haven't done anything wrong," she replied, scared and crying.

Okay, I think I went through a lot in my role of the bad guy. Seeing that I already had everything I needed from here, I started to approach a window in the corridor that Cedric had entered through, and with a jump, I stood on the edge of it.

"Okay then, it's time to get out of here."
"Bye! Take care," I said as I pushed the girl towards Cedric.

Then I left there with another jump and ran back to the metro station in the north.

On my way, I was able to see the missiles that were heading towards the base where I was and the explosion they made. In addition to the fact that my sleep was getting harder, I used my last adrenaline shot and prepared myself for the final effort.

I had managed to get back to the building from the beginning of my journey and was now walking through the subway with a smile on my face, knowing that I was already close. But just as I reached the room in front of the portal, I saw that something was out of place, someone had adjusted the place a bit, made a barricade and a rather large weapon came out of it. I barely jumped to avoid it, but the shot from that thing hit me in the leg. Luckily I hadn't lost it and was still able to walk, but it wasn't the best time to lose mobility.

"How did she detect my attack?" Akane said after seeing that she had narrowly missed her target.

I knew it! Nothing works for me for too long. How many people tried to stop me today? Akane trembled as she looked at me and reloaded her weapon, unlike Cedric, she was quite neat and clean and you could see that she had even gained some weight. How the hell is that possible when the food is calculated to the millimeter to keep the soldiers fit! Also, she was wearing a different special outfit than the one she wore the first time, and having it now is pretty bad for me. But what is she doing here? Has she been waiting for me to come here? How did she know about this place if it was supposed to be secret?

"Why is the whole world against me today?" I began to complain aloud.
"Get out of the way, I'm in a hurry!"
"I'm not going to let a rookie bother me anymore."

"Rookie?"
"I've been fighting for the Alliance for a year!"
"Who do you think I am?" She said angrily.

One year!? Since I died, it's been so long!?I feel like I've only been absent for 4 hours at most, adding what happened today! So much time wasted!

"Get out of the way!"

I said as I started shooting at him with the gun.

She managed to dodge it, although it is not like I have to beat her. Just by getting to the portal, I win, all I have to do is get her out of the way.

Seeing how she reacted to me talking to her earlier, it seems that she does not like being told about her lack of combat experience. So I thought of angering her so that she would approach me so that I could immobilize her and thus get to the other room where the portal awaits me.

"Have you really been on the front lines for a whole year?"
"You keep forgetting to take the safety off your gun, you have a badly fitting shoe, you don't check for traps, you don't go under cover, and you spend a lot of time near windows."
"How have you lived so long?"
"Usually the soldiers who make these mistakes are the ones who don't live long."
"Unless you just stand guard at a base all the time."
"That and eating enough to put on weight"
"That's why you had to change your suit!" I said every insult I could think of that might affect her.

"Shut up!!"
"You know nothing!" she replied as she charged at me.

Just as she used some thrusters that the suit had to gain speed, I called my Avalon Sword, which appeared right in front of me, stuck in the ground. The next thing I saw was a girl comically embracing the flat sword with her head. She was so strong that I immediately knocked her out. I for one started laughing after seeing what just happened.

Seeing that I had a clear path again, I continued on, only to suddenly run into a scientist in front of the portal. It was Brandon, the same one who had stumbled upon me at the beginning of all this and who had apparently been investigating me.

"Have you also discovered this place?" he said to me.
"First, the portal does not close despite being disconnected from the power source, and now you show up knowing exactly where it was."
"Who are you really?"

But since the dream I was having was getting heavier and heavier, I decided to just ignore it and point my gun at it. I dragged myself to the front of the portal and seeing that they might be able to follow me, I decided to make one last move and destroy the portal right after I used it.

I took the grenades I had left and unlocked them. Brandon got scared when he saw this and ran away.

I jumped into the unknown and fell asleep at the same time, destroying the machine that gave me my freedom.

72