The tears, I should have shed
164 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year XXXX, Neo Earth, the central star

“STAR News: Ryan Leroy, CEO of Leroy Empire, following the reveal of Echo Leroy as being the mastermind behind the murder of Ava Leroy, the CEO’s twin sister, files for divorce.”

This particular news had not only startled the central star, but even the South star was in an uproar after the reveal and was urging, the authorities to arrest the murderer, and the interstellar court to quickly take action against the devil as well as demanded a fair verdict on the decades' old case of late Ava Leroy.    

In the eyes of the vast Star Empire, Echo Leroy was a man who was born with a diamond spoon as the second master of the Oread family, as well as the spouse of the great Ryan Leroy he, had it all. Who wouldn’t be envious of such an existence?        

So after the sensational news, no one cared about the divorce, which was usually a much-tabooed topic. Truthfully, no one in the star empire empathized with the backstabbing Echo Leroy; it was just baffling for the citizens who were all willing to even sell their souls to get a single chance to have what Echo had. Echo deserved everything that was happening to him and much more.

In a room, under a roof full of vivid black swirls, a person was watching the news on the holographic screen with a pair of dazed violet eyes. An ancient-looking device was sitting in the corner of the room and was emitting a slow and peculiar tune. The device looked almost magical, with a body made up of wood, adorned by a design as vivid as the forests, the word Oread was engraved numinously on the side.

There were other mysterious markings on the device as well, which glowed as bright as the sun. But the shine was dimming at a rapid speed as it was being shrouded by the dark wisps, and it seemed to be originating from the speakers of the music device.

Echo, the name was truly suitable for him. He has always been a mere echo in everyone’s life, so much so that even his marriage of 30 years was just a fading echo of the word, a parody even.

Contrary to popular belief, the divorce was actually the cause rather than the effect.

To the person, who was sitting on the chaise, embodied in a crimson suit, the entire series of actions created an ironic sense of humor. While fiddling with the sleek band on his ring finger, the person gave out a particularly cheerful chuckle.

“Hahaha… As expected from you my dear husband, you are as crafty as always. Deserving of the title of Leroy, Ava would be very proud of you. Even though somewhere I expected this, I was still hoping…” Echo took up the glass full of clear liquid and downed it without any change in expression, lying down he studied the dark swirls with a look of contemplation. “How do you always manage to surprise me, my love? Well, that’s what makes you so marvelous… so I can’t really complain.”

After the much sensational news, several planets worth of living beings were cursing his entire generations of family, but he was not bothered even a bit. Those people were like small fishes, dreaming of the open ocean, desiring the depth of the unknown. These ignorant fishes didn’t know about the predators that hid behind the colorful weeds and plants.

But he couldn’t fault them; the shine of gold even blinds the crimson of blood. 

To be honest, he was feeling relieved. A burden was off his chest, a burden that he had been carrying since he was born. He could finally rest after these tiring 48 years of existence.

And not to forget, finally, his love too would get some peace. Finally, his love would be free. Finally, it will all be finished.

Closing his eyes an image fleeted through his brain, that once again caused yet another round of ring fiddling. The smooth surface of the metal felt a bit cold, like a pinch of reality, the snugly fit ring has always reminded him that it was real, that he really possessed a small part in his love’s orbit of existence. So what if he shares his sweetheart’s name only on a piece of paper, it’s enough for him.  He was grateful for whatever Ryan shared with him. Echo wished for a much longer time but also understood that it was time to leave.

Echo couldn’t help but remember his father’s words ‘you weren’t supposed to be born… why you did had to come and ruin everything up, you took her away from me!!! You killed your mother, you bastard!!!’

With this particular voice, a flood of past overcame his mind… he really had overstayed his welcome in the universe.

Echo sat up with a humph and fiddled with the bracelet on his wrist, after a second the holographic screen lit up a bit before an image filled it. The screen showed a handsome yet delicate face, the expression was full of contempt, a pair of ruby lips stretched in a badly contained snarl accompanied by a pair of eyes as dark as the death.

Another chuckle was heard in the room.

“Why so fierce my dear husband? How can you be like this when your other half is dressed in his wedding attire?! See, I still fit in this red suit. I had specially ordered these to complement the suit that you wore, you know? Even though red isn’t my color.”

Echo stared at the photo a bit longer before slowly closing his eyes and lying down again.

“Hah, although I would have liked a smile from you in my last moments, this snarl is better than your usual indifference,” the surface beside the person’s face on the chaise was damp, but a smile still lingered. The room was now entirely filled with the mysterious dark swirls.

“I was really naive before ah… too naive. I should have let you go long ago, should have let you set free. But while I never entered your eyes, I have always only seen you. I know, a marriage can’t guarantee love. I hope you can spare some thoughts on me, even cursing is acceptable… I should have done this a long time back but you must understand my dilemma baby… it’s hard to let go of loved ones. But I have done it now, you can be happy with your loved one now… no need to think about any obstacle after this… no need to worry my sweetheart… be happy… and if possible don’t hate me forever. I love you, with my life.”

With a long shuddering breath he made his life’s final echo. 


Small theatre: The thirsty shou and the shivering author

Echo: “Can you hear the echoes of my virginity?”

Ryan: “...”

Echo: “Peh! Ryan, you bastard, are you still a man???”

Ryan: “*Expressionlessly crushes a cherry with his spiked boots*”

Author (Cherry): “Gulps.”


Author's note: Hello!!! So this is me committing to finally write something substantial. The story is based on a planet which is similar to earth, but with a more technologically advanced setting as well as a more accepting society. Of course, prejudice still exists but it's directed more toward status and power rather than sexual orientation and gender. It has some fragments of fantasy, but not too much. 

3