Chapter 40 – Why must you spill wine on good dresses?
3.9k 14 168
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wedding dress glitters with each step Janet took down the aisle. The golden silk threads weaved through the fabric flow as if they were alive, only to obey her every movement. Everyone held their breaths at the sight of the beauty who's walking in hands with the Duke.

I lean against the white marble pillar to witness my friend’s wedding from afar. The venue of the auspicious wedding event is the open grass field in royal palace, located at the heart of the capital city.

Despite heartaches and my unwillingness to go, I stand here on this forbidden ground... otherwise known as the royal palace. I really should've called in sick today.

The Alban kingdom that I live in is ruled by King Francis. He has 5 official wives, not including several mistresses hidden away. Altogether, the country has 13 princes and 5 princesses. 

Well. Ain’t someone super horny. 

All royalties all have their own family drama and power grabbing, but a commoner like me have no business poking my nose around there. There are also many romance stories involving prince and princesses, so I’m going nowhere near them. That’s a blackhole I will never escape once I step my foot in.

Because Janet is becoming the wife of one of the only four dukes in existence, she cannot have a small wedding with friends and family. It has to invite the royal family. Thus, the event must be big, grand and unnecessarily excessive.

From where I stand, I can hear chatters about how the weather is blessed on this special day, the blooming red roses and white ivy that decorate the round tables, the bouquet held in the brides hand, and of course, the famous talk of the day - Janet's wedding dress.

People whisper about the beauty of the dress and how it accentuates the Duchess’s grace. The topic of “mermaid tailor” is brought up again upon seeing a familiar silhouette - the only difference being the flare beginning mid-thighs. 

It’s not like I didn’t see this coming.

From what I’ve heard from Jin, Lotte Graham didn’t know how it was revealed either. By the time she knew, it was pretty late in the gossip chain, when one couldn’t discern the exaggerations from actual truth.

Plus, it also seemed like I was able to maintain my mob life. But if possible, I’d like it if it didn’t leak at all.

The vows and rings are exchanged, sealed by a passionate kiss between the bride and groom. Thankfully, they are no last-minute wedding objections or a childhood friend who decides to live heartbroken for life.

The event swiftly continues to a wedding reception. The amount of colourful heads bobbling up and down in this venue is dizzying. I thought her engagement ceremony was high-pressure, but this is indefinitely worse.

I sigh at my own demise. I promised I’d join the event after the vows in exchange for not being Janet’s bridesmaid. I just need to fit in and blend into everyone chattering. It’ll be alright.

Jin is disguised as a small black bird today; he perches on one of the trees in the venue. After all, I can’t just carry a hamster around in a dress today. He’ll suffocate if he can’t peek out for air often, and I can’t let him get seen by any nobles in this event. 

If someone finds me strange, I’m done for. There’s too many stories to count where the ML finds a person “interesting” just because she’s weird. The interest grows into many things, the worst being sadistic tendencies.

I inhale a deep breath to steady myself, already scanning where to blend in. I lift my foot to take a confident step forward. Before I could even place my foot down, I hear a loud glass shatter and a few women screaming.

Fuck. I knew something was going to happen.

I raise my head to see Janet’s wedding dress covered in deep red splotches of wine. Uneven pieces of the broken wine glass decorate the ground. A pink haired woman smirking while saying something which sounded like an unapologetic sorry.

This is it. Another classic scheme of “Oh sorry, my hands slipped” from a villainess who wants to ruin the dress so she can ridicule the female lead. The most third-rate unoriginal method which is so overused to the point I could foretell this coming without needing any supernatural powers.

Still, that doesn’t mean I’m not fed up with this trope.

THAT’S MY 3 MONTHS WORTH OF SWEAT AND TEARS YOU BITCH. LOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF DIAMONDS I PAINFULLY HAND-STITCHED ON THE HEMS.

Why do you have to ruin a dress? Spare the hems! That’s the part I worked most on!

As I complain internally about the ruined masterpiece, I see Duke Wolfram step forward to shield his newly-wed wife.

He furiously approaches the offending girl, and just when I thought he was about to spit some hot fire to put the girl in her place... I witness the Duke flip the glass of wine he held in his hand, pouring it directly onto the pink-hair’s head.

Oh shit.

"Oh sorry. My hands slipped." Duke Wolfram parroted the exact same words with his deep voice.

“….”

For a moment, silence descended on the previously joyful atmosphere, it was as if no one expected this to happen. .

I remember thinking “The FL will get bullied and ML will save the day.” 

I expected swords and harsh words. But definitely didn’t think of ML straight up splashing the villainess with wine. Pfft.

It was such a villainess move that it looked so out of place and petty coming from a male lead.

But… also you definitely scored some extra points from me. I view you in a better light, duke.

168