Chapter 41 – Pressed against each other in a narrow space
7.3k 33 177
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since the bride’s dress was ruined, she’s ultimately escorted away from the reception. I retreat to the changing room instead of entering the war zone, deciding to wait for Janet to arrive. 

The door creaks open. Janet and her personal maids enter the changing room, escorted by the knights. The maids frantically wipe the dress, but the splotches don't show signs of disappearing. The dress is ruined.

When Janet sees me sitting on the velvet sofa with furrowed brows, she immediately dismisses her maids. She sits herself right next to me, the furniture sank slightly from her weight.

“I’m alright, Tina.” She attempts to soothe me despite having her own wedding ruined, her gentle hands brush my head. Her voice is strangely calm. “I’m used to this.”

But you shouldn't be used to this.

“I’ve always been a weakness for Roderic. He’s always been there to shield me from troubles. But there’s only so much he can prevent.” Her fingers teased the tangles in my hair. “It's okay. We love each other, and that’s all the fuel we need to advance. I’m his weakness, but I’m also his biggest strength.”

Looking at the determined glint in her clear eyes, I couldn’t help but sigh. 

Sure. Janet is a female lead. But before that, she is my best friend. Even if I know she had troubles coming her way, even if I knew I risk my mob life by interacting with her, I promised myself I would support her through my own means.

“Janet, I haven’t given you a wedding gift.”

Like I said, wine pouring is an overused trope. I could see it coming without needing supernatural powers to foretell this.

Unfolding the silk cloth bag I brought along with me to the capital, it revealed an A-line dress with off-shoulder sleeves. I couldn’t afford gold strings or fancy diamonds to adorn the hems and sleeves, but the dress revealed the brightest orange for the top slowly blending into pearly white at the hems.

Upon seeing the dress, it reminds one of a beautiful sunrise seen off a mountain cliff.

“Tina…” Janet gasps.

The door slams open once again, drawing my attention to a breathless Ruby and Cecile who seem to have ran here after belatedly hearing the news. Their eyes land immediately on the eye-catching sunrise dress I was holding up against Janet.

Their expressions switch from dazzled to serious within split-second. With eager faces, they smile at Janet. “Let us help you out.”

><><><><><><

The ruffled split front reveals her inner calves when she takes a step forward, her foot chain jingles when her heels make contact with the ground. Her orange eye make up retouched by Ruby last minute looks stern and majestic. With new make-up and floral decorations, Janet went from graceful white angel to a Greek fire goddess. 

“Thank you guys… Truly.”

“Alright. Now show them who’s boss.” We push Janet out of the door into her knight’s escorts.

"If you're feeling tired, just come after resting a bit." Ruby notices at my exhaustion, almost ready to fall asleep on the couch.

"Mhmm... okay."

Ruby and Cecile follows Janet back to the reception, leaving me alone in the changing room. 

After a few minutes of resting, I decide to join Ruby and Cecile. When I open the exit doors to leave, I hear footsteps approaching my way.

“Did you really see Duchess change into her orange dress here?” Whispers emerge from around the corridor.

“Does that mean the mermaid tailor followed her to the palace? I saw her leave with the maids and friends from this direction. Didn't see anyone who could be a tailor behind her.”

“Doesn’t that mean the tailor must still be in the room?”

Nononononono.... F*ck.

I start running in the opposite direction from where the voices originated.

“Hey I SAW SOMEONE RUN OUT FROM THERE.”

“It must be a maid? A thief?”

“No, it’s a well-dressed lady hiding her face.”

“Arnold, chase after her. If anything goes wrong, we can just say she’s a suspicious person coming out of the Duchess’s changing room. If not, we’ve found our mystery tailor.”

“Yes.”

WHY WOULD YOU SEND YOUR ESCORT KNIGHT MY WAY?? If we’re going to play tag, we should play this fair and square!

My chest feels heavy with every step forward.

Haa.... hah. Huuuuu....

The pleats in my dress are getting in my way. I can hear the footsteps behind me getting closer. 

Is this how I get ousted? Breathless after being caught as a thief? That’s lame, god damn it. 

Why did I even start running? If I had just said I was Janet’s friend and the bride confirms it, there was no need for this drama to begin with. I got too hot-headed. I started fleeing without even thinking. Now I'm going to get caught if I stop.

I have to keep running.

A strong hand grabs my wrist while I was lamenting my decisions.

F*ck. Did they catch me?

I start struggling away from their grip in panic, but I’m pulled into a small dark corner with overwhelming strength.

“Shush. It’s Jin.”

I glance back to see a pair of golden eyes looking down at me. The space is cramped with very little room to wiggle.

I can hear his heart thump behind his chest walls, I can hear his breaths loud and clear. His body heat was invading my back pushed against him.

Why am I stuck in a “typical FL being rescued by ML while escaping” scenario with Jin? 

“Where did she go?!”

Heeup!

I sucked a deep breath in and held it at the sight of the escort knights searching for me in the vicinity.

My heart is racing from the adrenaline pumping through my vessels.

Bathump. Bathump. Bathump.

The drumming heartbeats between mine and Jin's seems to have an odd rhythm to it.

I’m becoming more conscious of the man standing behind me holding my shoulders. I don't like it.

“Jin.”

“Yeah?” His hot breath tickles my ears when he answers.

“Why are you occupying so much space when you can just shift into a hamster?” I frown.

"......"

"Hey."

"......"

“Hey, switch right now.”

“…… Fine.”

A sulking hamster sat in my dress pocket while I waited for the knights to leave.

177