Chapter 43 – Confessions under fireworks
3.1k 23 140
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day in the palace comes to an end as darkness descends, closing the curtains on an eventful day. The crescent moon hung in the sky, surrounded by dazzling stars littered on the dark canvas. The light pollution of the capital city makes the scene less impressive. Even so, it's breathtaking to look up and feel the autumn breeze flow past your face.

“I managed to survive today.” I sigh, helplessly leaning against a bench’s backrest in a crowded market.

Cheers erupt from different parts of the street. People pour into the pubs, while vendors yell from their candle-lit street stalls. It’s a regular night market, which is typical of the capital city known to ‘never sleep’.

Why am I in a crowded market? Theory is - when you're alone in a remote location, you're more likely to run into main characters.

It doesn’t make sense if you start calculating probabilities based on population, but we’re in a fictional world.

I barely escaped the palace via a rabbit hole in the palace garden. And I was sure there would be one, because how else will the princes/princesses get into town for their dates?

It was just a matter of finding it. Jin did his job.

“Did I do well?” The man seated beside me asked, pushing his face into my field of vision. His golden eyes glow under the hooded robe. He's still wearing the face mask with the embroidered hamster - it had somehow become a part of his usual attire.

“Yeah.” I reply dryly, pushing his handsome face away from me.

“…” 

“… What?”

“Is that all you've got to say?” He asks, dissatisfied with my answer. “I helped you escape the knights. I helped you escape the palace. Even now, I’m sitting beside you as a ‘bastard deterrent’, just in case some douche starts a problem with you.”

Sorry… I was just too exhausted to speak. Thanks, Jin.

“Not enough.”

No, hold on. Why are you pouting now? Are you a child? 

“I’ll make you a carrot cake when we get home.”

“Haaah. Listen. Did you really think I was pouting because I wanted cake?” His hushed voice is tinged with frustration. The hood covering his head falls when he defeatedly runs his fingers through his hair.

Was that not it?

“How bout a carrot cake AND a waffle? I’ll make sure to put a ton of syrup on top.” I pause, seeing his eyes glitter. “We can even put some strawberries-.”

“Deal.” 

Well, that was quick.

Just as the conversation came to an end, I notice the crowd unanimously moving towards the centre of the night market.

“It’s about time. Duke Wolfram arranged fireworks display for their wedding night.” I smile, remembering how excited Janet was about it.

It's a beautiful ending to a lovely day. Today was hectic for me in all sorts of ways, but I’m happy I can spend the rest of the evening not having to worry about stories or plots. 

Even if there are some colourful heads standing right in front of me, I know they won’t talk to a mob-character who’s occupied with her own company. (This is where having Jin in his human form becomes useful.)

... 3! 2! 1! Boom!

As the count down ended, the clock struck 8pm. Blue and pink hues tint the streets as the multi-coloured explosions sparkle above. Colourful bursts of flowers bloom in the sky, then fizz away into nothing. 

It’s beautiful.

“It’s beautiful.” The violet-haired woman comments as her eyes stay fixed on the sky.

The blue-haired man stays silent at her remark, his eyes staring at her translucent rosy cheeks blushed from the cold autumn night. His line of sight lingers on her lively face, burning every small feature of hers into his cornea. He doesn't give two fucks about whatever was happening up in the sky.

“Yeah… Really beautiful.”

Damn it. I was mentally prepared for his line, and yet!! The cringe caused chills to climb up my arms. I can't believe I'm actually hearing such corny lines.

If someone actually said that to me, I think I’d just lie down and die on spot.

"I knew you'd like it.” The FL smiled brightly at the ML, oblivious to the fact that his remarks were directed at her rather than the fireworks.

The show quickly comes to a halt. I turn to face Jin.

“??? Is it cold?” I ask, my gaze fixed on his scarlet ear tips. “Do you want me to knit you an ear muff?”

Jin nods, and stands up hurriedly to walk ahead.

Red ears are typically used to describe embarrassment in characters. But in his defence, it was also a chilly night where people easily get red noses and ears. The FL we just encountered also had blushed cheeks from the cold.

But is he really-?

“We should quickly go back before your friends start getting worried.” Jin interrupts my line of thoughts.

Eh why would he-?

“Hurry up.”

I quickened my pace to not get left behind.


Sorry for the unplanned hiatus. I promise to do better. :')

On an unrelated note, thank you so much to the two anonymous readers and ElizaKnight for all the Ko-fi I've received so far. I'm not writing the story for monetary gain, but it really makes me happy seeing people enjoy it as much as I love writing it.

140