Chapter 46 – Tragic relationships (Part 3)
2.1k 16 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In reality, it was not rare for abusive male leads to exist. Romance tragedy is popular genre with fans for several reasons. I was one of the passionate readers with sadistic tendencies to enjoy the piece of shit crawl on his knees as he beg the female lead not to leave. But for the male lead to regret his actions, there must be a long period of neglect and suffering for the female. 

Listening to Elise’s tragic story told with a depressed spirit, I didn’t know where to start consoling her. Anything I say would sound superficial, because I would never understand what it is like to be in her shoes. I didn’t go through the troubles she did, nor did I suffer the oppression she faced. 

I couldn’t say anything to help relieve the misery she went without patronising or making light of the situation.

Elise looks at me with soulless eyes, her lips crooks up into a mocking smile.

“Did I put you into a tough spot?” She puts down the tea cup in her hands. “I don’t like talking about this with other people… People don’t care enough. And why should they? Even I dislike myself, wallowing in self-pity. Helpless, yet uselessly proud.”

She sighs.

“Then, I got rid of my pride. Only helplessness remained. At this point, I don’t know why I even continue to live…”

“Because you’re worth living.” A voice interrupts, and the door opens to reveal a woman. “The problem isn't you. Your husband is just really shit.”

It's Rosette’s dramatic entrance.

What Elise needed was help, but as someone who had no status or power, there was little I could do.

Isn’t it a perfect time to use Rosette?

Rosette enters with wide steps and hops into the empty seat beside me. She crosses her legs and leans forward, placing her chin on her hands.

She turns to face me, “Is this girl the reason you called me? I was about to score a princess, you know.”

Before I walked out of the tea party, I glanced at Rosette sitting at the centre table. Being surrounded by princesses, who were all pretty enough to enter all her ‘harem members’ list, Rosette was trying to wring out every charisma point she can manage. 

As I passed her table to reach the hall’s exit, I slipped a tissue paper under the wine glass being delivered to Rosette. On the napkin, written in a language only the two of us could understand, was three words: “Follow me upstairs.”

So, here she is.

“Lady Yttrea…” Elise looks startled. Her untold story was just unleashed in full waves after building courage and trust, yet it has been overheard by a stranger she was barely acquainted with.

I felt a small astringent feeling of guilt rising in my chest…

“Lady Beaumont- no, fuck, you shouldn’t even associate yourself with that disgusting family name.” Rosette lets out an exasperated sigh. “We barely know each other, but even I know your in-laws are being abusive.”

Elise remains silent, not even acknowledging how Rosette broke her angelic character.

She has nothing to comment, because it's true. Rumours in society spread like wildfire, and it is an open secret in the noble society how Elise is not favoured by her husband or her in-laws.

“Answer me, Elise.” Rosette drops the formality altogether. “Were you the one who desperately begged your asshole of a husband to marry you?”

“… No.”

“Did you gain physically or mentally out of this marriage? Did he give you any mines, any business deals, or even any social connections after marrying you?”

Elise remains silent. When putting it bluntly as such, it was so blatant that there was nothing she gained from this, other than her grandfather’s short-lived happiness by granting him his dying wish.

“At any point in this marriage, did he make you satisfied or happy?”

The hands clutching the dress tremble. She clench her fists so hard that her whole body shook, yet no tears would fell.

When you stare into those purple lifeless eyes, they suck you into a bottomless depth of hopelessness and fear. 

“Then why are you still together? What did you wish to gain by sticking beside that man whose personality rivals with a maggot-festered cow dung? What has he done other than disrespect and neglect you?”

“My father.” Elise voice cracks. “He’s sick. My family’s ruined, I cannot worsen the situation by divorcing Beaumont.”

“So by staying, did your family’s situation get better? Did your father receive medical assistance he needed?”

“…”

“So what are you afraid of, Elise?" Rosette’s pointed questions hit Elise like sprinkling salt on an open wound. "You’re already at the bottom. You have nothing to lose.” 

After a moment of silence, Rosette sighs, and turned to me.

“You’re going to owe me one, you know that right?” She sips on her cup of coffee lazily. “And you’re the one saying you want to live a mob life.” 

The ceramic cup makes a loud clack as it hits the saucer on the coffee table. Rosette leans forward and inches closer to Elise. Her fingers traced the rim of the cup which now had a bright red lipstick mark. 

“Alright. Look here, Miss Elise. I’m going to help you run away from that fucking bastard. Seven out of the ten merchant groups Beaumont deals with have connections with the black market. The other three? They run under me." Rosette fiddles with the cup handle. "I have no difficulties planting spies in every noble household, needless to say an unguarded house like Beaumont.”

I stop myself from letting a gasp escape.

Because I knew Rosette was building up her connections and network, but never realised to what extent it was. How much of the country's politics was she holding strings behind the curtains, I’d never be able to fathom.

“After you go back today, one week from now, a merchant group will enter Beaumont mansion selling construction materials. A maid will come pick you up. Switch clothes, pack a light suitcase and leave after blending into their crew. I will have a new identity and a place ready for you by next week.”

Elise’s motionless eyes started wavering, as if she couldn’t believe what was going on, like she found it hard to grasp the notion that she was finally set free.

“Ah of course, I’ll take care of your parents too. But you’ll have to stay separate for a few years in case the Beaumont starts searching for you. The asshole may not care about you, but his ego won't accept his official wife leaving him and running away.” 

“But why... Why help me?"

Her eyes flickered between Rosette and I sitting side by side, then gently shook her head after deciding she didn't need to know the answer. 

"…… Thank you.” 

Elise’s gratitude was softer than a whisper, like a small breeze passing through blades of grass, but her previously dry emotionless eyes now glisten with tears.

My talent is to show up again when everyone thinks I've dropped the story and b like "SIKE".

105