Chapter 33
475 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Becky, Anton, Étién, Sashae, and Aoi waited in the resurrection room and watched the countdown timers Ryan had placed over Mayu and Chie’s pods.

Aoi flitted back and forth impatiently, “This is boring! Can I go play with Charlotte?”

Ryan recalled how Aoi had befriended Charlotte over the past three weeks and now rarely came to Luna and stayed with the cats. Charlotte, the red-headed cat girl, had been the only one besides Jaren that paid her any mind outside of work or play. 

Ryan hadn’t interacted with Charlotte much himself as she often went into the city and spent her time teaching at the local orphanage and took classes in the healing arts. She had even started taking Aoi with her, and finished the fairy’s English lessons.

The only reason Aoi was here now, despite her complaining, was because of her excitement at finally being able to see Mayu again. 

Ryan had shown her what Mayu would look like in her new body, but she hadn’t been happy about it. Would any child be happy if their mother came back looking like a stranger?

Chie’s countdown reached zero five seconds before Mayu’s and the door opened.

Aoi stopped over Mayu’s pod and waited excitedly.

Becky peeked through the cracks of Chie’s pod as it opened, and looked neither disappointed nor excited, “Chie really went back to being a man, huh.”

Anton crossed his arms and looked into the pod, his eyes obviously trying to avoid the crotch area, “Yup…”

Sashae watched Anton and Becky and didn’t look into Chie’s pod, “I think best to be as born.”

Chie’s eyes fluttered open as Mayu’s pod started opening, and Becky covered Anton’s eyes when he tried to look over.

Anton tried to swat away Becky’s hands, “Hey! I was a chick once. I know what a pussy and tits look like.”

Becky moved her body in the way, “Yeah, but you’re a man now and who knows what thoughts will go into your head.”

Étién giggled at Anton and Becky, and spoke in English, “You are good friends.”

It turned out sharing a mental link with someone made teaching them anything a lot easier and faster, especially when they’re trapped in a room and can’t leave.

Chie groaned, “Please, be quiet. The last thing I want to hear upon waking is you two bickering.”

Anton turned to Chie and tossed him a towel that rested on an unoccupied pod, “Cover your junk, man.”

Chie sat up. He now had a slightly larger than average height with a slim build, sandy blonde hair, a large nose underneath somewhat small blue eyes, and Ryan hated to think this, less than average looks.

Chie picked up the towel and started drying himself.

Mayu’s pod finished opening, and Becky quickly covered her with a blanket.

Mayu held the blanket over her modest chest and sat up. She seemed slightly shorter than average, but much taller than her Snow Princess form. Her body was lithe, and it looked like she had been athletic in the past and had gained some weight. Her face was round, with typical dark Japanese eyes, a small nose and lips, high cheekbones, with dark brown chin length hair framing it. She had several nasty scars on her arms, legs, abdomen, and one on her left cheek. 

Ryan would be lying if he called her cute with that nasty scar on her face, the best he could say was, ‘intimidating.’ Still, she was not ugly, and he felt once he got used to the scar, he was sure her looks would grow on him.

Étién’s emotions told Ryan Mayu intimidated her, and was ever so slightly repulsed by the scars, but she said nothing to him.

Becky hugged Mayu, “I’m so glad you’re awake! We have a lot to catch up on!”

Mayu looked around, “Where are Mikan and Saki?”

Aoi flitted up to Mayu and squeezed her cheeks together, then moved her head around to get a closer look, “You’re really Momma Mayu? You’re scary.”

Mayu’s eyes saddened, but she smiled as her eyes focused on Aoi, “Yes. These scars are scary, but I am still your mother.”

Becky’s eyes focused on Mayu’s scar, “Ryan told us you wanted to keep them. Are you sure?”

Mayu touched her scar, “They help remind me not to make same mistakes again.”

Becky chewed on her lip, then smiled, “I can respect that.”

Anton stared at the scar, “That’s a pretty cool scar. How’d you get it?”

Becky smacked Anton’s arm, “Anton!”

Mayu held up her hand to Becky to stop her, “It is okay.” She turned to Anton, “I was in a bad group during middle and high school.” Her eyes turned down, “We did many bad things. Drugs, sex, stealing, fighting. Much fighting.” She rubbed at a scar on her left arm, “I am lucky to live.” She looked back up, “Kazuya. He saved me. I am thinking I would be dead or in prison if he had not found me.”

Becky’s eye’s had softened, “I… I never would have guessed. You’re such a sweet and wonderful person.”

Mayu lowered her head and shook it, “I have many sins.”

Becky put a hand on her shoulder, “I don’t care. Your past was… hard, but you overcame that and became such a good person.”

Mayu shook her head again and started crying, “When I fight the monsters, the feelings come back. I am wanting to kill them. I am enjoying it.”

Becky hugged Mayu, “Then don’t fight. Stay as far away from it as you can.”

Mayu wrapped her arms around Becky, “I will think of it.”

Becky returned the hug, “Ryan can handle protecting us. Don’t worry about it.”

Étién’s feelings mirrored Ryan’s sympathy towards Mayu and Ryan agreed with Becky, “Becky’s right. With Luna patched up and the drones, none of you needs to fight.”

Mayu nodded, “Okay.”

Anton turned away and walked over to Chie, “Uh… so…”

Chie slipped out of his pod, “We should give them some space.”

Anton nodded and followed Chie from the room, “Yeah, you’re right. Uh… Do I still call you Chie now that you’re a dude again?”

Chie looked behind her at Anton, “Evan.”

Ryan had figured he’d go back to his old name.

Anton smiled, “Yeah.”

Aoi scratched her cheek as she watched Becky and Mayu and it looked like she was considering joining in on the hug.

Étién walked to Mayu, “Becky is right. Mayu is good person.”

Mayu glanced up and gave Étién a weak smile, “Thank you.”

Ryan agreed, “You’re probably the best of us.”

Sashae slipped off her chair and walked to Becky and Mayu, “I like you Mayu. Don’t be sad, okay?”

Mayu shook her head, then pushed Becky away, “I am good now.”

Becky stepped back, “Are you sure?”

Mayu nodded, “Yes.” She looked around, “I will get dressed.”

Ryan had made a new wardrobe for her using the fabricator for her new sizes, and had commissioned something from Shina, “I made you some new clothes, but I left one Shina made on your bed for you to look at first. She made something she thought you might like.”

Mayu smiled, “Yes. I want to try Shina’s clothes.”

Étién stood back and watched Becky and Mayu leave, I am happy Mayu is back. Can you tell me what she talked about? I think I understood, but English is difficult.

Ryan recalled teaching her, You kidding. You’ve only been practicing for less than a month and are already almost fluent!

Étién left the resurrection room and headed to the lower deck, I already knew some.

Barely any!

Jaren jogged towards Étién after she landed on the deck, “They’re awake?”

Étién nodded, “Yes. They are dressing.”

Jaren flashed a smile, “Cool.” She looked Étién over, “How’re you doing?”

Étién wasn’t good with contractions yet because the Aos Si language didn’t use them, so it took her a moment to understand the question, “I have a headache, but feeling well.”

Jaren nodded, “From your head injury?”

Étién didn’t look or feel sure and shook her head, “I do not think so?”

Ryan recalled Étién’s recent scan, “I didn’t see anything wrong with her scan, but I guess it’s possible.”

Étién turned to the airlock, “I need to go. Mother said I can stay only for greetings.”

Jaren pursed her lips and looked irritated, “Your mom needs to loosen up.”

Étién shook her head, “I was bad. This is my punishing.”

Jaren sighed, “Yeah, I can see that. I’d be mad too if my daughter snuck out and almost got herself killed.”

Ryan agreed, “Yeah. That’s why I haven’t fought Niamh over it.”

Ryan also could talk to Étién as much as he wanted through their link, and it wasn’t like he could do more than that until he got himself a body.

Jaren shrugged, “Any idea how long you’re grounded for?”

Étién asked for a translation of the word ‘grounded’ before replying, “No.”

Jaren moved out of the way, “That sucks… Anyway, hope your headache goes away. Come over to Shina’s when you can and say hi.”

Étién smiled and nodded, “Yes.”

Étién walked to the ramp and opened a gateway and her feelings immediately went from happy to nervous.

Ryan switched to telepathy, I’ll let you know what happens. Okay?

Étién glanced back to Luna after she stepped through the gateway, Thank you.

When the gateway closed, Jaren sat on a bench and turned to the long cigar shaped objects stacked in the airlock, “How many more do you need to build?”

Ryan recalled Becky’s plan, “Just two more. That gives us time to rescue Mikan and let Mayu and Evan take care of any business in town.”

Jaren leaned back, “Think you can come back?”

“No idea. Not even sure we can go back to our universe without the help of the Builder.”

“Still haven’t heard back from him?”

Ryan checked his feed to the Mk. I he’d stationed on the Builder’s roof, “No.”

Jaren looked at the ceiling, “I wonder what kind of thing occupies someone like that for so long…”

Ryan didn’t even want to know, “Yeah? Not me.”

Jaren hopped off the bench, “Looks like your adventurer friends are coming. You were going to rescue Mikan now, right?”

Ryan watched River and Mathew approach Luna, “Yep. Catching her is the easy part. But… well… hopefully Mayu can calm Saki down after we catch her without us having to be too rough.”

Jaren hopped out of the airlock, “Good luck with that. The Three Stooges will meet you at the fairy village.”

Jaren ran as fast as she could towards Shina’s, and Ryan chuckled to himself as Mathew stared at Jaren as she ran. Jaren was usually pretty laid back, but when it came to Mathew…

Mayu came charging out of her room, a plasma pistol in hand, “Ryan! Take me to Saki! She is needing punishment!”

Ryan chuckled to himself again, “I see Becky told you about what happened. We’re actually heading there as soon as River and Mathew board Luna.”

Becky chased after Mayu, “Wait! You’re not going to kill Saki, are you?”

Mayu didn’t answer and made her way to the airlock.

Aoi came out next, and looked annoyed as she followed, “Forget Saki! No need Saki! Saki mean!”

River and Mathew entered Luna’s airlock.

Mathew looked behind him, and watched the door Jaren had disappeared into at Shina’s, “Such a fine woman.”

Ryan recalled Jaren in her sparring clothes for a moment before pushing the image out.

River ignored her brother, “Chie and Mayu awake yet?”

Mayu was almost to the hatch leading to this deck and decided to let Mayu herself answer that question.

Mayu jumped through the hatch and stopped when she saw River and Mathew.

River noticed Mayu’s anger filled face and raised an eyebrow, “You must have just found out, huh.”

Mathew turned to Mayu, “We got this! We’ll get your little friend back and you can spank her all you want!” He paused, “Which one are you again? What happened to your face?”

River ignored Mathew, “Nice to see you again, Mayu. Um… I hope you don’t have any hard feelings for killing you.”

Becky climbed down the ladder, but stayed back and watched the conversation.

Mayu took a breath and calmed herself, before giving a slight bow, “No. I do not have any bad feelings. I asked. It would be unfair to feel anger to you for my own decision.”

River looked relieved, “Well… I wish we were here for better reasons, but it is how it is.”

Mathew put his hands on his hips and nodded, “Yeah! Sucks your kid fairy almost killed Ryan’s girlfriend!”

Mayu paused for a moment, smiled, then looked at Ryan’s camera, “Étién is a good girl. Ryan is choosing well!” Her face went dark again, and she turned back to River and Mathew, “We should be going to Saki and Mikan.”

Ryan updated them on Mikan, “I’m helping the fairies gather food right now as planned. I’ll try to get Mikan and Saki away from the other fairies, so they don’t get in the way. They’re pretty much NPCs and The Three Stooges are pretty good at making distractions so it shouldn’t be too hard.”

Mayu looked uncertain, “NPCs?”

Ryan recalled all his interactions with the fairies for the past three weeks, “Non player characters. They’re characters designed for one purpose and don’t do anything else. The fairies seem intelligent, and are for the most part, but they follow the same daily routine over and over. It drives Saki crazy. She keeps asking them to do things, but other than simple stuff like protecting, attacking, or rescuing other fairies, they go back to doing their usual thing. Even their conversations loop. Drives me crazy too. The craziest thing is, if one dies, a near identical one to it comes a few hours later, and acts as if nothing happened. They even have the same names. They treat Saki and me like the fairies we’re cloned from and even call us using their names no matter how often Saki tries to correct them.”

River nodded, “I’ve seen it too. I’ll kill a whole nest of creatures, and a few hours later, the whole thing is back. Only happens deep in the forest. Anything near the city can be killed off and kept away as long as the ones deeper in the forest are regularly killed. Oh, the stronger the creature, the longer it takes for them to come back.”

Mathew grinned, “It’s great! I can keep goin’ back and killin’ stuff as much as I want! I bet that dragon you killed has a copy waitin’ for a killin’.”

Mayu didn’t seem to understand very well, or care, “When will we go?”

Ryan closed Luna’s airlock, “Now is fine?”

River nodded, “Yes, you already paid us. We can leave whenever.”

Mathew didn’t look too excited, “Fairies are boring pay, but a job’s a job. Not even sure why I came. River’s got this down on her own.”

Mayu walked to the airlock and waited.

Becky stood next to Mayu and put a hand on her shoulder, “You alright? You said earlier,” she glanced over her shoulder at River and Mathew, “you didn’t want to do this kind of thing anymore?”

Mayu closed her eyes and tilted her head back, “For my family I will do anything. Even dying. Saki is family now. If she is doing bad, I want to bring her back and teach her what she is doing wrong.”

Becky patted Mayu’s shoulder and stepped back, “Okay, but you better put on a space suit first.”

Mayu was currently wearing Shina’s custom outfit, something she’d called “ouji” style. It was an outfit that reminded him of something a prince would wear, but more feminine. The set came with a dark blue jacket embroidered with a subtle floral design, a blouse, a cravat, capris, and knee socks.

Ryan thought it looked great on Mayu, although he still preferred a more feminine look on women.

Mayu went to a locker with her name on it, and pulled out her new space suit.

Ryan slowly started moving Mikan away from the other fairies as they picked nuts from the ground.

Saki always stayed close to Mikan, “Mikan. Stay close!”

Ryan had already used the Mk. II to scout around and found a raspberry bush not far away, “Saki. I think I found raspberries.”

Saki turned to the other fairies, then looked back to Mikan, “Quiet. No sharing with stupid fairies.”

The other fairies didn’t pay attention as they went on with their business. Only an approaching predator would stop their gathering.

The raspberry bush was far enough away that the foliage blocked the view of the other fairies.

Saki spotted the bush and immediately fluttered towards it, “Raspberries!”

Ryan jumped Luna over the raspberry bush and opened the airlock.

Mikan heard the fairies yell and Ryan knew The Three Stooges had started their distraction.

Saki turned towards the commotion, but before she had a chance to move, River landed behind her with a cage that she swung over Saki as she landed.

River quickly closed the door to the cage, and jumped into a tree and up towards Luna.

Mikan followed River back to Luna, glancing over her shoulder to see the three cat girls toying with the fairies.

Saki was strangely quiet as River carried her to Luna, a scowl on her face.

Mathew crossed his arms and looked disappointed as River and Mikan returned, “Man… that was too easy. Next time hire me to fight something dangerous!”

Mayu wordlessly took Saki from River and left.

Becky followed after, “I’ll help.”

Aoi followed after them, “Saki’s in trouble! Saki’s in trouble!”

Sashae stayed and watched the remaining group.

Mikan patted Mathew on the shoulder, “I can go drop you off at a dragon den. I know where three are.”

River laughed, “We’ll pass, but if my idiot brother wants to go get himself killed, I won’t stop you.”

Mathew surprised Ryan by nodded at his sister’s comment, “Yeah. Not sure I want to fight another one of them beasties by myself.”

River smirked, “You know my brother got beaten real bad when he learns a lesson from it.”

Mathew’s shoulders slumped, “Sucks havin’ to start all over. Just catchin’ back up to where I was sucks hard.”

Ryan closed the airlock and jumped Luna back to Ildathach, “Alright, I’ll tell the dragons you’re missing your date tonight.”

River laughed again, “Yeah, you do that.”

Evan slid down the ladder, and everyone turned to look at him.

River sized him up, “Chie? Or was it Evan now?”

Evan walked over to the group, “Evan. Now that I am back to myself, my old name seems appropriate again.”

Mathew walked over to Evan, “Not as good lookin’ as me, but I can think of a lady or two that might take a liking to ya.”

River ignored Mathew, “How’s it feel being a man again?”

Evan straightened the suit Shina had made for him, “Better. I never really felt comfortable in that body. It was an interesting experience, but I am glad to be a man again.”

Ryan opened the airlock, “That’s good. I know I miss my body.”

Evan nodded, “I can’t imagine why.” He walked out of the airlock, “I have heard Luna’s repairs are finished?”

Mikan followed Evan out, “Yup! When we finish making the last of Becky’s telescopes we’re going to try to head back to our universe. We upgraded Luna’s turrets with anti-meatball tech, so we don’t have to worry about them sneaking through the wormholes anymore. Anton even made a gatling plasma cannon if there’s a lot of them.”

Evan studied Luna.

Luna looked nothing like it had before other than the shape. The hull now had a metallic mirror finish that covered the white ceramic/metal hull beneath. Even the turret ports were barely noticeable and only when walking on the hull or walking directly under.

Evan nodded, “It is refreshing to see Luna in full repair. We can now focus all our efforts on finding our way home.” He turned to Ildathach, “Although, I suppose I should visit the city and the guardian before we go. ”

River walked past Evan and motioned him to follow, and smirked, “I know some places you should go before you leave. Never know next time you’ll be able to have some fun.”

Mathew walked past Evan and River, “I’m gonna go find Sammy if we’re done here.”

River gagged, “Just get married to her already. You already bang like rabbits.”

Mathew waved her off, “It’s just a fling!”

Evan raised an eyebrow and gave Mathew a condescending look, “A shame such a man is related to one as refined as yourself.”

River turned to Evan, and gave him a playful look, “Hmm? A refined woman? Me?”

Evan blushed slightly, “Y-yes. You think things through and have a sense of modesty.”

River laughed, “Yeah, I kinda have to with a brother like that.”

Evan straightened his suit’s jacket, “The day is short, we should leave.”

River hooked her arm through Evan’s, “Who says we needed to come back when it got dark?”

Evan took a step back, “Please refrain from teasing me, Ms. River.”

River laughed again, but didn’t let go of his arm, “Just River is fine.”

River pulled the flustered Evan towards the city gates.

Mikan giggled, and went inside Luna. He figured Mayu and Becky might need help with Saki.

Anton was waiting outside Mayu’s room with a plasma pistol.

Anton turned to Mikan, “That fairy’s crazy! She’s already attacked Becky twice, and Mayu once.”

Ryan had been keeping an eye on the situation, “Saki’s light beam is pretty weak, so they should be okay if they don’t get hit in the head.”

Anton held up his pistol, “Mayu said I could shoot Saki’s wings if she came out without her permission.”

Ryan opened the door just enough for Mikan to slip through and closed it immediately.

The first thing Ryan noticed was a scorch mark on a wall. Mikan shook her head and turned to where Becky and Mayu sat on Mayu’s bed on either side of Saki’s cage.

Saki reached an arm through her cage and reached for Mikan, speaking in Fairy, “Mikan! Help!”

Mikan shook her head and floated in front of the cage, “Sorry, Saki. You attacked Étién and kidnapped Mikan. I’m going to let Mayu do whatever she wants with you until she’s satisfied.”

Saki slumped against the bars and started crying, “Mikan! Saki knows what is best for Mikan! Please!”

Mikan turned towards the door, “Until you understand what you did wrong, you’re not seeing Mikan again.”

Mikan left the room, leaving Saki’s sobs and screams of anger behind.

***

Étién had returned to her room, lay on her bed, and closed her eyes and imagined the scenes Ryan described as they readied to rescue Mikan.

As she lay there she began to realize the scenes in her mind were more than her imagination. She could see and hear what Ryan was focusing on. The scenes were fuzzy and hard to make out, but it became cleared the longer time went on.

Her headache also became worse. Ryan focused on so many things. It made her head hurt seeing so many images at once and she was amazed that he constantly did this.

Étién opened her eyes and tried to clear the images from her mind, but it was too late. The connection had strengthened and she had no idea how to keep it from getting stronger.

Ryan’s emotions changed as soon as she opened her eyes, Étién… Why can I see your room?

Étién rubbed her temples, The connection… I can see through your eyes too. Too many eyes. My head…

Ryan turned off all his cameras except Mikan and she felt concern and frustration from him, We need to find a way to fix this. My brain can handle this connection, but… well… 

Étién’s headache started to fade, I will ask my mother and Healer Fawinn.

Ryan felt uncomfortable at the suggestion, Yeah. I cannot think of anyone else to ask.

Étién felt terrible. She knew how much Ryan relied on using his multiple perspectives. Now because of her she had nearly crippled him.

Ryan’s concern strengthened, Do not feel bad. The last three weeks were really fun, and I can spend a few days using only one camera or Mikan. I’m just building Becky’s stuff and doing things with Mikan.

Ryan’s reassurance helped Étién a little, but she still felt overwhelming guilt. It was her fault they had become like this. She had loved the intimate connection with Ryan, but now it had progressed in such a way he had to limit himself so much for her sake. 

She felt so blessed he held so much consideration and love for her that he would be so willing to make such a sacrifice for her at a moment’s notice. She didn’t deserve it. She didn’t deserve someone like him. She should just go back to the island where she wouldn’t get in anyone’s way.

Étién! I do not know what you are thinking, but stop it! Healer Fawinn made the medicine, so she might know a way to break it. If not, we can figure something out. We have a connection that no one else… The cat girls! If Healer Fawinn cannot help us, maybe they can.

Ryan had brought Étién from her thoughts. He was right. This connection was still so new. Maybe they could figure out how to break it, or at least control it.

Étién stood up from her bed, I will ask Mother.

Ryan’s feelings warmed a little, Good!

Étién left her room and headed to her mother’s office. She knew she could make it through this one way or another with Ryan’s help. It was just a matter of how.

Should be getting back to space soon. I actually cut out a lot of ideas I had for Ildathach and the half world, but I felt I've spent more than enough time here than I should have. Luna's been grounded too long.

What was I planning? More cat girl antics. Tensions between factions in Ildathach. More exploration of the half world, like the place where Shina and Ryo came from. More beasties and "leveling up." I could write this stuff in a different story focused on the half world, but after this story is done, I want to move to a different setting. Already have ideas on what I want to do next, but for now I'm focusing on finishing this before I spend any time on what I do next. If I write something after this. We'll see if I still have the time to write in nine months.

 

12