Chapter 2
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She led me to a place called simply “The Hub”. It seems strange, like a town which had been built around a complex glowing circular shape in the middle. The buildings while mostly wooden or stone in nature were strangely designed as if they were brand new but also as if they had been their longer than anything else. I just couldn't seem to fit the style of them to anything I had seen or imagined. It was like the parts would never appear in nature and any attempt to make them would be like trying to get a stone to bleed. She finally stopped at a building with the sign “Flaming Ship Inn” which had what seemed to be a wooden ship glowing like the sun on the side of it.

I realised I had completely stopped staring at the wall with the one I followed simply looking at me with a smug kind of smile.

“Don't worry,” she explained, “It happens to everyone the first time they see this place,” She promptly made a motion to go inside the door and led me towards a table with some people.

“Who's the greenhorn Sarah?” asked a scruffy looking man, who couldn't be more than 16 or 17 years old.

“Burned village newbie,” replied the person I had aimlessly followed.”Looks like she has some guts, way she tried to attack the bandit.”

“Well pull up a chair both of you, make yourself at home,” he called motioning to some chairs stacked against the wall. I couldn't really decide what to do till Sarah went collecting two and putting one next to me near the table. Instinctively I sat unsure what to do or say.

“Don't worry we won't bite,” exclaimed a second guy with a quick laugh, he seemed younger. Still I couldn't find the words to say.

“New to the whole gaming world?” asked Sarah looking at me sympathetically. I nodded, my voice still lost.

“Well how about I introduce you to everyone,” she said, “As you might have guessed my name is Sarah, the first one is Nelson,” pointing to the scruffy man, “This is Matt,” making a gesture to the second guy. “The hooded one is Emily, she can be a bit shy and it seems Sammie is running late again,”

“She likely got into another fight,” Smirked Nelson. “Still anyone picking a fight with her is just asking for trouble,”

“Must be more than one if it is taking so long,” agreed Matt, “Anyway you know our names how about an introduction,”

“My name is Jessica,” I said nervously. Just then the door slammed open, making me jump while everyone else seemed to just act like it was nothing. In the door was a girl who captured my attention, extremely short hair, very plain clothes that gave away no real features yet looked pretty tight fitting but granting maximum movement. She rapidly grabbed a chair slamming down next to the table sitting with the back facing the table and her leaning over it.

“Who's the newbie?” she boomed looking me up and down.

“If you were on time for once you would know she was Jessica, Sarah picked her up from burnt village quest,” replied Nelson.

“Who won?” called Matt.

“Do you have to ask?” the girl said proudly making a V symbol with her fingers.

“This is Sammie, while she is loud, rude and with questionable sanity but she is a friend none the less,” explained Sarah.

“Please to meet you all,” I muttered quietly to everyone.

“Urk, this one's going to need some training,” Sammie disapprovingly stated, “Anyway I picked up the bandit raid quest so lets move out!” With that everyone got to their feet and piled the chairs across the wall, I quickly followed suit not wanting to appear more out of place than I was. After following them outside, we were soon heading into the wilderness on a new adventure.

The group seems very natural, jokes and talks of what they have been up to before they met up at the Inn, it almost all completely goes over my head, I feel lost in a crowd.

“Don't worry Jess, you will likely fit in soon enough or if things don't work out after the mentor quest is done we can part ways,” Sarah said gently to me.

“Mentor quest?,” I replied and from the confused look I must have shown everyone else stopped and seemed to be holding in laughs.

“Sarah, this isn't like you. When you did the mentor quest with me I couldn't get you to shut up.” Said Matt finally breaking out into laughter.

“I am not good at talking to people who don't talk to me first, she seemed so quiet I couldn't think of how to branch it to her. At least the suggestive system got her to follow me to The Hub.” Sarah replied. My confused look must have gotten worse since Matt burst out laughing even more.

With a gentle voice Emily finally spoke, “When a new player enters the game the system will place them in an area with a high player density in the wilderness, it will then give a quest to a random person nearby when the player starts the tutorial to find them and save them. When the player appears the so called mentor should be almost there to save them from the danger and lead them to town where they will teach them the basics. When they are able to play alone the quest ends and the players can part ways or team up.”

“What if the person rejects the quest?” I ask, fearing the idea of not being saved.

“Don't worry, time in the tutorial is slowed, even if someone rejected it, it would then be offered to another player, heck even if 50 people rejected it someone would accept it and be making their way before you appeared,” explained Nelson.

“Nelson was my mentor,” said Sarah, “I also mentored Matt,”

“She isn't the best at it but her heart is in the right place and she relies on the group a little,” exclaimed Matt giving Sarah a pat on the back, “Now if you want to hear a funny story get Sammie to explain her introduction,” I gave Sammie a puzzling look and she got the hint.

“Standard event had the ogre den, basically you wake up in a cave with an ogre planning to eat you, well I wasn't going to have that and managed to drive it out of the cave. Mentor person shows up killing it offering me a hand saying he had come to save the damsel in distress. Couldn't stand him and punched him hard enough to kill him outright. Seems it instantly completed his quest.” She shrugged at the ending.

“Lesson one, don't ever treat Sammie like a princess or someone to save,” chuckled Matt.

“Lesson two, don't mock the Sammie,” said Sammie raising her fists up to Matt as if to fight him.

“Ok! Ok! Don't kill me,” He panicked and everyone laughed including me a little.

“Anyway on to the quest we have. The bandit raid is a standard quest to find and beat a handful of bandits who are moving to raid a local farm or village. Simply search and destroy them to complete it, leave them long enough to finish the raid to fail it, rewards some money,” explained Nelson.

“Should introduce the new recruit officially to combat first,” said Sammie smirking as if wanting a fight. Nelson pointed to a clearing ahead and Sammie simply nodded while my nerves shattered at the idea of what was to come.

At the clearing Emily simply sat down as if not interested. While Matt and Sammie both looked as if it was a party at my expense. Nelson was the first to get his weapons, a spear and shield from his back. Matt pulled an axe off his belt by his right hand then one of his back with his left. Sarah pulled her bow off her back following suit. Sammie and Emily didn't do anything, I guessed Emily was sitting this out but Sammie seemed to be raring to go. I pulled out my sword carefully to follow suit not sure what to expect.

“Lets start with the basics,” Nelson stated, “Just come at me trying to attack me, get use to the feel of your weapons and I will block or dodge. Don't worry about hurting me just go all out, every recoil you feel and every swing you take will help you get use to your weapons.”

I readied myself and he gave a nod to begin. My first thought was to charge forward but I paused examining him. His armour looked heavy so I guess I would have the speed advantage but his stance promoted confidence which made me nervous.

“Smash his head in Jessie!” Shouted Matt rooting for me. I decided to charge running forwards and making a stab attempt to his right shoulder where his shield didn't cover but he simply raised his shield and I bounced off. I quickly darted to the left following the momentum and tried to swing to his blind spot on his back. My sword failed to connect and was sent flying as the back of his spear knocked it clean out of my hand causing discomfort. Sarah handed me my sword and Nelson nodded to try again. I examined more closely looking at where I might be able to get a hit, his shield was to my right and his spear to my left. The shield had front defence that was bigger but the spear could cover the back as well with the shaft. Instantly deciding I sprinted at him making a similar attack which was blocked and dared to the right behind him, turning to swing at the other side of the back where the spear wouldn't offer protection however he turned and blocked with the shield. The armour not preventing the movement like I hoped. The recoil jolted up my arm and I put my second hand on the hilt doing an arched swing towards his knees which he jumped back from, then using the newly created gap I tried to charge at him again only to drop to the floor to dodge a spear thrust that almost pierced straight through me.

Stumbling up and saw him smile slightly and he nodded to try again. I kept trying to get around him and keep near to him to avoid the spear tip but no matter what it seemed the shield wouldn't let me score a hit. I soon felt exhausted and had to sit down.

“Seems like you have a better understanding of the basics at least, you won't have time to duck in a real fight since it leaves you exposed and will make you die. Seemed to adapt well at least.” said Nelson approvingly, “Sammie your next I can tell you won't wait for anyone else to spar with her,”

She walked forward with a grin that scared me, like I was watching a beast descend on me and couldn't run. Her confidence was something that shook me to the core but I still noticed no weapon or armour and felt confident myself.

“Don't you have armour, I don't want to hurt you,” I called to Sammie worried if this was a joke or something.

“Try it and see what happens,” she taunted and I instantly charged at her swinging downwards. In a split second she punched my sword arm causing me to drop my sword and then span into a kick sending me flying backwards to the ground. She finished by catching my sword and holding it to my neck. I raised my hands in surrender completely ashamed of my over confidence.

“Sorry but if I warned you Sammie would have kicked my ass,” said Matt sheepishly.

“Sammie is an amazing unarmed fighter and many people know her name, she might look harmless but is like a wild beast in battle,” added Sarah.

“Don't judge me by my looks,” Sammie stated and then helped me up and handed me my sword, “Again I want another fight!”

“Team battle then,” stated Nelson.

“I will take Emily and Jessie then,” Sammie replied. I must have made a good impression if she wanted me on her team, or maybe her blood lust meant I wasn't a challenge and wanted a less even fight. I readied my weapons and watched everyone do the same, Sammie just cracked her knuckles and Emily removed her hood and cloak, in an instant my jaw dropped, she was absolutely beautiful. Her hair flowed gently in the wind, her features seemed like a goddess and while she was wearing plain clothes they seemed practical but also brought out her features. I noticed at her side was a long but thin sword which she seemed to ignore.

“The Emily effect has hit Jess!” called Matt who had noticed my dazed look. Nelson, Matt and Sarah laughed a little. “I swear she makes even girls turn les for her,” Nelson cleared his throat loudly catching everyone's attention.

“Standard non death match rules, no death blows fight to disable the other team last team standing wins,” Nelson called out and then counted on his shield to three and the fight started. Sammie was the first to act charging at Matt, Emily rapidly whipped out her sword and targeted Nelson. That left me with Sarah who had already drawn back her bow and sent an arrow flying towards me.

Instantly I dodged to the side jumping wide to make sure I wasn't hit. Another arrow was quickly launched at me and I repeated the action this time moving forward as I did. It was chaos around me, the clangs of weapons and thuds of punches drowning out all other sounds.

I tried to do a less wide dodge and was reward for it with an arrow catching my side grazing the skin. The distraction cost me as another arrow came narrowly missing me while I wasn't paying attention and I instantly charged forward. If I could just close this gap I should have the advantage. I was finally near enough to swing my sword when I felt a huge resistance. Nelson's shield had blocked and sent my sword flying. I dodged around Nelson focusing on Sarah and tried to hit her with my fists. I knew it was a mistake when Nelson's spear went into my leg and I fell to the floor. I knew I was out and edged away. Matt was knocked out it seemed and Emily had shifted to Sarah who was trying to dodge each lunge but each one at least grazed her and soon she dropped her bow surrendering. Emily put away her sword letting Sammie fight Nelson. Surely she would need the help I thought, I mean she was amazing but against thick armour and weapons even she couldn't win right?

I came to see that size wasn't everything, she was expertly dodging all his attacks and every time she would counter with a hit or several in some cases. Soon Nelson surrendered and it was over.

“Good fight everyone,” Nelson yelled, “Remember Jessica, in a group fight while you might each pair off against someone you must still pay attention to your surroundings. Just because someone else is fighting them doesn't make them no longer a threat,”

Everyone put away their weapons and I did the same. Nelson handed out some water and bread and we quietly ate it, while bland it felt like my energy was rapidly recovering and my leg stopped being sore.

“Food and drink might be enough for rapidly recovery here but in the real area only bandages and first aid work,” Said Sarah very matter of fact.

“Anyway lets move out,” called Nelson reminding me we were here to fight bandits and not just spar. We got up and left the clearing into the woods that surrounded them. While not thick it did make it harder to see and the odd wolf would attack quickly being dispatched leaving behind a small pouch more often than not, which Nelson collected. It was odd, this group seemed so different and yet they worked together so well, Sarah often was scouting ahead with Sammie going with her. Nelson would be in front ready with his shield. Emily at the back keeping an eye out for attacks and Matt and I were in the middle watching a side and lending support to Nelson if he was attacked. While I was new to the group they made sure I fit in and was helpful. Nelson was a good leader, no matter what he kept us moving forwards towards our objective and helped maintain our formation.

Suddenly with a thud a body fell in front of us Sammie dropped down from the tree tops as it disappeared.

“Two groups, me and Sarah will take the smaller one, go slightly right and you will find the rest,” Sammie informed before running and grabbing a branch to swing back into the trees.

“Well you heard her, fighting time,” ordered Nelson leading onwards. We arrived at the end of a small clearing with a camp fire in the middle, bandits were spread out but there was clearly a look out on a platform in the middle.

“Emily, flank around and attack from the back, Matt follow me to the left, keep that side clear, Jessica take the right just hold them off taking out whoever you can, remember eyes open and make sure none of them get the jump on you. We are here if you need help but we won't be able to jump in instantly all the time to save you just keep alert and you should be fine,” Nelson instructed. With a nod we got ready, Emily darted off and we stepped out of the covers of the trees and charged.

It didn't take long to be spotted and the bandits started to run towards us. We had reached the first few as most became aware of us. I tried to do my best to fight while keeping near the others. They seemed much more adapt at this and each would be killing often two or three in the time I could kill one. When Emily suddenly attacked from behind them the bandits split up slightly and the pressure eased. It was still hard but with less of them directed at us we managed to advance. Emily seeming to handle the small groups fine managed to clear a few then move to the next small group. Overall we seemed to be managing well and while their had likely been over 30 at the start now there were less than 10. An arrow flew past me hitting a bandit in the neck I turned around and saw Sarah there. In an instant Sammie appeared falling to the ground from a tree landing on a bandit and punching him in the face till he died. It was a quick clear up after that with no issues. After the camp was cleared a chest appeared in the middle. Nelson opened it and took the contents.

“127 gold total,” he announced after adding all the small pouches and chest contents together, “20 each,” He handed out small pouches and I took mine looking in to see gold coins sparkling out. The last 7 he put in away in a different pouch to the one he put his share into. No one seemed to say anything so I didn't mention it.

“DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWP! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWP!” an extremely loud alarm sounded and while I slammed my hands over my ears it did nothing to stop the sound.

“What’s the matter?” asked Sarah with a worried expression.

“A really loud sounding alarm went off, didn't you all hear it?” I called back.

“Someone didn't change their alert alarm it seems,” laughed Matt, “Seems someone is trying to get hold of you from outside the game,” I checked the time and noticed how late it was, my sister must be worried that I disappeared without hearing a word.

“Open your menu and you can do a quick log out, we will wait here for you so try not to take too long,” said Nelson and I quickly thought about how to open the menu only to have it appear. I put my finger over quick log out and suddenly found myself in my room in the main server. I still looked like I had while in the game but I opened the door and my sister rushed in hugging me.

“I was so worried where have you been?” she cried. In a moment she noticed my get up and stepped back, “White obelisk?”

“Is it that obvious?” I asked.

“Out of all the games it is the main one people pick to try,” she said, “considering how you normally are I can't believe you willingly started to play that,” After a moment she pressed a few buttons on her menu and became covered in light. She was now in a suit of armour, it was lighter than Nelson's and seemed to be much more refined. A sword and shield were on her back.

“So where are you there?” she asked. I gave a blank stare examining her.

“We did a bandit mission or something,” I said having no idea where I was.

“Oh mentor quest right, I forget about that, where in The Hub did your mentor take you?”

“The flaming ship inn I think it was,”

“Well I will meet you there when you get back,” and with that she was gone. I quickly fiddled around and returned to the White Obelisk wilderness to see Sammie fighting both Nelson and Matt.

“She is back,” shouted Sarah. Sammie launched a final punch flooring Matt and everyone walked towards me.

“When I said don't be too long I didn't mean you had to be nearly instantly,” huffed Nelson.

“My sister wants to meet up at the inn we were at,” I explained.

“Well lets rush back, is getting a bit dark so might have more wolves but if we rush with Sammie taking the lead should be able to get back pretty fast,” he ordered and we left instantly the way we came.

We were a lot faster on the way back, I only briefly saw Sammie who was ahead punching any wolves that dared attack pocketing any pouches they dropped. It must have only been 20 minutes till we were looking at the entrance to the inn. Matt opened the door and quickly stepped back and closed it.

“What is it?” Inquired Nelson.

“The Shield Maiden,” Said Matt.

“What's that?” I wondered.

“She is the second in command of Moonlight Crusade, one of the factions fighting for the White Obelisk, she is said to be very skilled with a shield even though she is fairly young, most wonder if she has played other games since she appeared around 5 years ago and quickly gained fame. Why she would be in this sort of place is beyond me, lets find your sister quickly and go somewhere else if others find out it could get very crowded,” reported Nelson, “Anyway you go first Jessica and find your sister,”

I hesitantly opened the door and spotted my sister sitting at a table in the middle, I grabbed a chair and sat by here only to hear gasps and see shock from the others.

“Is something wrong?” I asked them.

“You are joking right? Please say you are joking,” Matt whimpered.

“What is it?” I replied.

“THAT is your sister?” Matt looked like he had just be told the world was round and it had shattered his mind. My sister took a sip of her drink ignoring the shock from Matt.

“So why did you start playing this game Jess?” my sister asked casually.

“I saw an announcement of how long it had been going and it sort of called to me, before I knew it here I am meeting you wondering why my friends are shocked by me talking to you,” I explained.

“Sorry I should have warned you people can make a bit of a fuss about me, anyway I guess you are feeling better?”

“Yes, I lost track of time even, sorry if I made you worry,”

“It is understandable, my first time playing one of these games I was like that. Anyway tell your friends to join us and introduce me,”

I wave to call them over and only Emily and Sarah move to grab chairs and sit down, shortly after the rest followed suit.

“This is Nelson, Matt, Sarah, Emily and Sammie,” I announce gesturing to each in turn, “This is my sister Rebecca,”

“Nice to meet you,” said Rebecca. She tapped on the table a few times and a hooded man stepped up bringing his chair and sat next to her, “I hope you don't mind I brought my boyfriend,”

He pulled off his hood revealing someone I had not seen in a long time.

“Hello Jasper,” I said happily, he had been with my sister for quite a long time that I wonder why after over five years they haven't gotten married or something. The faces of my friends had gone from completely shocked to drained of all life. Even Sammie and Nelson who were hardly shaken seemed to be uncomfortable around him.

“You know The Crusader too?!?!” shouted Matt standing up and his legs half turned to jelly. My puzzled look caught Nelson's attention.

“Leader of the Moonlight Crusade,” Nelson simply stated.

“Sorry I haven't visited you Jessica, Becky thought it would be better if you settled in without too many people around. It is good to see you anyway,” said Jasper slightly sheepishly.

“Let's get this out of the way, yes we are both from the Moonlight Crusade and yes this is my sister, if you are her friends then I would rather be on friendly terms with you than having you unable to speak due to shock,” Rebecca explained.

After a bit of small talk and ice breaking the conversation started to pick up. Sammie had already challenged both of them to a duel which they both declined due to not wanting to draw a crowd. Matt had asked for an autograph at which Jasper just laughed and stated he didn't do any. Rebecca and Sarah talked a bit with Emily joining in and Nelson and Jasper seemed to have a lot in common. It was hard to imagine how friendly the atmosphere was compared to all the shock and gasps from earlier, harder to imagine that my sister and her boyfriend were famous in this world which I guess all faction leaders are. Time flew by pretty quickly all things considered till Jasper had to excuse himself for faction related business.

Rebecca made sure to add me as a family member in her menu and shared her house privileges with me before she left. It was very calm when she left, like a calm breeze compared to a hurricane.

“Jess, you have GOT to get me a duel with both of them,” Sammie demanded. That made Matt laugh.

“I will see what I can do I guess,” I replied I had no idea what the big deal was still.

“Let us call it a night,” announced Nelson, “We tend to stay at the rooms upstairs here but it is your choice if you do also Jessica, a room is 5 gold a night. Just find a room labelled vacant upstairs and enter, it will then let you see it and confirm rental,” With that he headed to the stairs at the end of the room and went up them disappearing into the shadows. Emily was next to go upstairs followed by Matt, Sammie went out the door and into the streets. I decided to head upstairs, I was very tired and I saw Sarah following me up. It didn't take long to find a vacant room, when I opened it I was greeted with a fairly plain room with a bed on one side and a table with two chairs on the others. The view from the window was pretty much just the street below. I confirmed the rental, placed my sword on the table and fell asleep almost the second I was on the bed.

1