Chapter 3
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a dreamless sleep, the first I have had since I died. I wondered if it was an effect of the game or maybe it was just due to actually feeling exhausted. Awake and stretching I noticed just how real this world felt. The hunger was actually real like, not a desire to eat to feel normal but an actual if I don't eat soon I might actually find myself fainting. Then I noticed the grogginess of just waking up proving that I was still never a morning person. It felt like I was actually alive, then I noticed my sword on the table and smiled. Hopefully today would bring more adventure with my new friends. Picking up my sword I froze then placed it down noticing a door in the corner by the entrance to the room, was it always there? I walked towards it carefully not sure if I was being tricked or not and opened it slowly not sure what to expect. A bathroom, I had completely forgotten how even a basic living area would not be complete without it. No tiles just wooden plank floor with what seemed to be a carved out stone bath. I touched the inside of it carefully, considering it was stone it didn't feel hard, perfectly smooth however there were no taps but ropes by one end. I looked up and saw two pipes, one by each rope. I pulled one and water started to flow down which made me jump back a little. The steam came of the small puddle of water that quickly went down the drain. Hot water which means the other must be cold. After noticing a surprisingly light stone plug that I placed in the drain I fiddled with the ropes carefully trying to make a bath not too hot and not too cold, I felt like I burnt myself on more than one occasion but soon I had a fairly warm bath. After removing my clothes and sinking it to the water I took a long sigh of relief. It had been so long since I had just took a bath after feeling like my muscles had been stretched to the limit by a work out. The refreshing feeling I wished could have lasted for hours but the grumbling of my stomach cut it shorter than I would have liked. I got out found a towel on a rack, dried myself and put my clothes back on.

After going downstairs I was greeted with a wave from Sarah sitting at a table.

“Sleep ok?” she asked politely.

“I haven't slept so well since I died,” I admitted honestly.

“Oh, so you are a full residence. It is a hard topic to bring up and for many not a pleasant one,”

“Have you also died?” I asked almost instinctively and from her face I could instantly tell it was a painful subject. I rushed an apology truly feeling like I had just said a grave insult but she shook her head.

“Don't worry, you didn't know. General rules of etiquette are that you don't speak about that in this afterlife. If someone tells you it is fine but asking is generally considered taboo. While we live on after it, the trauma is still very real.” She stated with no emotion, it felt cold yet I could tell now that the subject was off limits to dig into.

“Well on a different subject I feel like I might pass out soon, is there any food I can get here?” I asked, staring hungrily at the plate I now noticed in front of her. She raised a hand as if to call someone and to my surprise someone behind the bar came to the table, a waiter, it then struck me that an inn without food wouldn't be very useful and I felt my cheeks redden in embarrassment that I could forget about such things.

“Would you like to make an order?” He asked plainly, I couldn't tell if he was a real person or a non player character. My puzzled look must have shown as Sarah smiled slightly.

“Please get my friend a standard breakfast,” she said and with a nod the waiter wrote it down and left. I already wondered what a standard breakfast was here. I knew that this world was a lot more basic, a lack of technology but it still functioned in an odd way. My memory drew back to the tutorial and it hit me, magic. I was really feeling embarrassed that I didn't consider what is normal in this world and just avoided thinking about how it worked.

“A gold for your thoughts,” Sarah said, likely due to my silence and blank look.

“I was just wondering about how this world works, I have never really played any games like this, my sister was the one who jumped into the virtual world. I limited myself to reality and now I just wonder I haven't seen anything electrical, there are torches on the walls, hot water in the baths and so much more. What is this world actually like?” I explained and then finally asked.

“Well to a small degree electricity isn't needed for light or warmth but I understand what you mean. This world is in a medieval setting with high amounts of fantasy themes. You have likely not seen it but magic exists in this world. However while I have to buy arrows every so often magic is prohibitively more expensive and difficult to actively use. However fires can still cook food, stone can be shaped with tools and resources can be gathered. It is best to just imagine the world is far in the past while many rules are the same a few have changed. Either for game play reasons or for the introduction of magic.” I nodded my head while listening to her trying to let it sink in. My mind was buzzing with thoughts of the magic system before I could inquire further the waiter placed a plate in-front of me and Sarah handed him two gold coins which he took and then left. I must have been drooling since Sarah chuckled lightly and said we could talk after I had eaten.

I picked up a metal knife and fork and looked at the meal in front of me. A chunk of bread, what looked like cooked meat maybe pork and a fried egg. It seemed plain but the second I put the first bit of the meat in my mouth I knew that if I wasn't drooling before I likely was now. It was sort of like pork but different, I couldn't really describe it well it just seemed less potent but yet there was more flavours to it. I devoured the plate's contents and found myself completely satisfied.

“Thank you for the meal,” I said to Sarah who smiled and took a sip from her drink. She had finished eating but I had been too absorbed in eating my fill that I didn't even notice.

“Let's go for a walk, we can talk on the way. The others will not be around for a bit, we meet up with each other here at about 10 o'clock each day and decide what to do with the rest of our day. It is usually a few quests but sometimes we train or catch up on the latest news. We take the odd day off but even then we tend to just hang out together.” She calmly stated making sure I understood how things worked with the group. I simply nodded and we got up and left. She led me down a few paths and we walked causally deeper into The Hub, the crowds varied, some areas were extremely busy, normally around shops or what seemed to be sparring areas. There were other spots that were very calm where the sound of a coin could likely be heard.

“Anyway magic is responsible for many things. It is done with gems and the colour and size have a great impact on what they can do. Players generally code them based on colour and size. You will hear phrases like C6 or DE4. The letters being the size of the gem and the number is the colour or property,” she explained, I nodded in understanding and she continued, “Lets go with the classic example of F3. It is a small red gem that is fire based. To use magic you need the gems for it and while a single gem isn't enough to do anything when held with another gem or even multiple gems you can direct their energy in the form of magic. Another example of a gem would be F6, it is black and the best way to describe it is to damage. So with F3 and F6 held together you can launch a small fireball. I honestly don't know the full details since I have never used magic but I think it is kind of willing the gems to act and releasing the energy.”

“So by using multiple gems together you release the energy into an effect?” I asked making sure I understood.

“Simply put yes but it gets extremely complex and even a basic F3 and F6 would be thousands of gold to get.”

“But with that how could anyone afford to use magic as a way to fight?” I already felt that magic to play would be impossible.

“Simply point you don't. Only a faction that actively funds people's gems will have full mages however let me explain a bit more before we go anywhere into that,” She said bluntly, “When the power is released the gems simply turn to dust that then will flow into a pouch bound to the person who cast the magic as long as it is near to them, most people carry them on their belt or in their pockets. This dust is still able to use magic and has grades for example the combination I mentioned earlier would likely leave you with just dust from the fire gem which would be called Dust F3 or F3D for short. This can be used in a multiple of ways ranging from very simple magic to being used in construction and imbued into items.” Her explanation went over my head at the end, I sort of got how you make a spell, I sort of got that dust was left over and could even be used again in ways but how was it added into items. My face must be easy to read since she saw my expression and continued.

“If you wanted to refine iron, you would get a lump of rock with iron in it and refine it at a forge. However if you add the dust in also it you can get properties of it, however making weapons is also an expensive act and the amount of dust needed to imbue things becomes extremely large even for the smallest things. To make matter worse any low grade of dust will cause weapons to often be brittle or hardly have any effect making the weapon almost worthless.”

“It seems that this system is extremely complex, how do people know what kind of dust is what or how to use these gems to the desired effect?” I asked, the answers only leading to more questions.

“Simply? Most people don't, dust scams happen and as such only those who actively learn to tell the differences in the smallest details in the dust will be able to avoid such scams. Some people will buy gems just to dust them however it is an expensive way and most will give up before they can identify dust correctly cutting their losses. As for learning how to use gems to get the effects you want, it is a matter of discovery. Factions will devote huge funds towards research and then the secrets are closely guarded. Almost everything directly related to player used magic is done by factions or people willing to devote almost all their money for a large scale of time towards it,” She almost said the last part sourly, had she wanted to try magic but the costs been too much for her or did she simply dislike how limited it was. I was about to ask when a loud thud sounded to the side and a piece of wood went flying past my head.

“We have a winner! Sammie wins the fight by ring out,” Shouted a man that was somewhere from where the wood had come from.

“Who's next?” Yelled Sammie looking into the crowd, “40 gold says I can beat the next challenger just as easily,”

“Come little mouse, lets do a no limit solo deathmatch, first to die loses and pays out 100 gold if you can pay that sort of wager,” called out a man, the crowd split showing what could only be described as a spiked giant. The armour looked extremely thick and all joints has razor shape spikes that gleamed as if seeking blood.

“Won't have to, 'tis your funeral,” called Sammie and she readied her fist.

“Sorry, it seems I led us into the bloodbath. A sparring area renowned for it's fights to the death and gambling.” said Sarah with a sigh as if expecting to find Sammie here. A small bell rung and the fight started. I watched closely I had seen Sammie fight but even with her impressive skills this opponent must be completely out of her league as he brought down a massive mace with both hands, the stone cracking or in places shattering. Sammie had dodged just barely and hit a spot on his arm but red coated her lower legs as the stones had been sent up dealing damage. Sammie's face looked pained but fire still burnt in her eyes.

“Seems we have a daredevil here,” called out the challenger, “A full timer without pain blockers. Guess I better teach her some manners by inflicting as much pain as possible that she will completely block all pain ever again,” The crowd cheered at that as if want the longest must bloody fight possible.

“This is going to get ugly, I think it would be best to leave,” Sarah stated starting to turn as expecting me to stay. I hesitantly started to turn around then stopped. I was interested in this. I hadn't known Sammie long and she seemed so foreign to me but her stance and burning passion had ensnared me.

“I can't explain it but I want to watch,” I told Sarah, she nodded but it was clear that she didn't approve. It didn't take long to see the area being completely destroyed and each time stones were sent flying at Sammie even after she avoided the attacks. A single hit would likely kill her instantly but the challenger seemed to be missing on purpose now just to cause the damage to be slow and draw out as much pain as possible. Sammie while hitting him often showed no signs of dealing damage to him, even her knuckles were a deep red colour showing the damage that a hit did to her and not him.

“Want to surrender little girly? I can end this any time however it will be 500 gold for me to make it quick,” he taunted. Sammie simply spat at him in response and launched another punch that actually made a cracking sound against the armour. For a moment I thought she had split it but in fact she had punched so hard that a few of her fingers had broken and bent off in unnatural directions. She was biting her lower lip which turned red. I was amazed that she was able to stand up to this kind of punishment. If what was said was true she felt all the pain that would be felt in the real world and while she showed the signs of it hurting she didn't even flinch. I could only think of her as a wild beast that when cornered would only fight back harder.

Sound escaped from my throat and I shouted, “You can do it Sammie!” I was actually cheering for her on instinct. If it was simply due to the desire I had to see her win or that I hoped that she could win fast enough that she wouldn't feel more pain. Maybe it was simply the fact that while I was a new member we were still in the same group and it was simply supporting my team mate. Sarah smiled slightly and joined in the cheering, soon the whole crowd seemed to be supporting Sammie. Maybe they just wanted to see a longer fight or maybe seeing the underdog fight back harder every time it was hurt inspired them to support her. Either way the crowd had been won to her side. The challenger angered at this swung directly at her as if to end it in an instant. Sammie who had been dodging till now actually charged directly in taking part of the blow while getting right up to him. She extended her arm outwards catching his neck but also a spike from the armour deep into her shoulder and slammed him into the ground. The mace fell from his hands and in an instant Sammie ripped the helmet off him and started punching his face. It was such a turn of events, it was such a dramatic action like I saw a trapped animal chewing its leg to get free of a trap but not to escape but to kill what had placed the trap in the first place. Punch after punch even with her broken fingers likely causing huge pain every hit she pounded on his face. It grew red in many places but he never showed pain- no he never felt any. While Sammie had removed the pain blockers of the game he had increased them to feel none. The crowd started to mock him.

“That girl removed those blockers and it seems you took them you pathetic coward,” shouted one person.

“She has real balls to fight like she does, she must have ripped yours off and taken them,” shouted another. The insults were brutal and it only enraged him. He grabbed Sammie by the neck however she didn't stop punching his face even when he stood up and lifted her off the ground, it only caused her to start adding kicks also, sometimes catching her legs on the spikes other times striking a smoother part. It didn't matter however his armour was too thick and with a powerful force she slammed into the ground. She finally cried out in pain but even then she silenced it.

“I hate people like you,” the challenger said, “so full of yourselves, you had basically no hope of winning and you still fought,” He raised her up and slammed her down again. It was hard to watch and tears started to flow down my face. Sarah put an arm around me hugging me close but I still couldn't take my eyes away.

“Better to be the brave fool than the worthless coward,” Sammie simply stated while punching weakly at his face. His rage only increased and with another stone shatter slam she was brought to the ground. The words “Dead” appeared above her motionless body and it was over. I was crying into Sarah's chest now, finally unable to watch.

“It will be ok. Sammie is strong, she will come back from this, she always does.” Sarah assured me gently stroking my head.

“Brave words from our regular favourite Sammie however the victor is the challenger and as such he wins 100 gold from her when she revives shortly,” called the announcer, “Hopefully this challenger will learn that a powerful coward isn't impressive before he next returns.

After almost five minutes Sammie's body glowed, the “Dead” faded and she stood up. After weighing a pouch carefully she tossed it to the challenger who quickly walked off through the parted crowd that wanted nothing to do with him. She spat on the floor and stretched as if there was no one around her. The crowd simply cheered at her courage some even threw coins or money pouches at her feet but she simply ignored it. She glanced up and saw me. I must look a mess since her expression softened for the first time since I had met her and she walked over to me giving me a hug.

“Don't cry for me. If I am defeated it simply means I need to get stronger,” she whispered into my ear, “A defeat isn't the end of the world and pain is not the worst that people can do to me.”

With that I pushed her away, I had just witnessed her body basically be shattered and she was talking like it was no big deal. Anger rose within me and my hand connected with her face stunning the crowd and even Sarah and Sammie.

“If that pain is nothing then why take it, how could you possible accept that kind of punishment and just shrug it off while people cry their hearts out for you. What could possible be worth it to take that sort of punishment!” While I didn't shout it the anger of my voice had silenced the crowd.

“Pain is nothing compared to being denied who I am,” She simply stated, picking up the pouches of gold she had been awarded from the crowd and simply left.

I collapsed to me knees in tears, while I hadn't know her long she had shook me to the core...

1