Chapter 4
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next part is a blur. I somehow was at the inn we stayed in but my head was a mess. I didn't know what to think about all of this. Sammie seemed to be completely out of her mind with what she did but she clearly felt no regret. She had been living in a way I couldn't understand and yet she seemed to be happy with her life. Before she had left, there had been a face that only screamed disapproval at me that I couldn't accept it. I didn't notice that my other team mates had gathered, all except Sammie till someone spoke.

“I wouldn't expect Sammie today,” Sarah spoke dryly to the others. Nelson simply nodded, Matt looked sadden at the news and Emily didn't seem to care.

“Judging by how it looks I am guessing there was an issue,” inquired Nelson.

“I think it is best if I spoke with you in private about it,” Sarah replied to which Nelson nodded and the two walked off to a corner where their voices couldn't be heard. My head was still a mess. Matt's bored tapping on the table seemed to not even catch my attention or even Emily's odd motionlessness. After what could have been a couple of minutes or many hours they returned to the table.

“Don't let it get to you Jessica,” Nelson spoke after a few moments, “Sammie might not seem to care about herself but she has her reasons for living like she does. She isn't good with words and her actions are no better but she is strong inside. While I can't go into details this is the kind of life she wants to live no matter what any of us say.”

“When Matt first saw how she was, it was under similar conditions. She fought to the point that her arm was broken in multiple places and leg could no longer hold her weight. The fight was declared a draw since both parties could no longer fight. Matt rushed to help her and she actually hit him. She crawled to a nearby wall and recovered herself slowly instead of accepting aid.” Sarah commenting on a past experience, “We didn't see her for a few days but she returned soon enough and while she didn't talk about it so we didn't mention it again. We accept that it is simply the way she is and while it is hard to understand just have faith in her,”

“How could I just accept what she did? She fought to the point that the opponent couldn't stand being a part of the fight and ended it while she swung her broken body still fighting. It isn't something to accept, it is insanity!” I cried out.

“Maybe, however just because she will do that doesn't change the fact it is her wishes and nothing we can say will likely ever change that,” said Nelson coldly, “Anyway today’s plan will be pretty relaxed. No quests and I think it is best if we stick to the town, other than that any suggestions or request, I am all ears.”

“I will take my leave for today then,” Emily stated while walking out the door as if nothing interesting had happened. Matt fidgeted in his chair and no one else had any suggestions so the room was almost completely silent.

“Barman, a round of drinks if you will,” called out Nelson after a silence he was not willing to put up with for any longer. The barman simply grunted and nodded as he started to prepare them.

“Let's see if we can find Jess's sister,” suggested Sarah, “Maybe we could talk to her,”

Tears actually came to my eyes, I really wanted to see here after hearing that but knew it would be highly unlikely she would be around. She lived in the real world still. This wasn't her home and as such her time was limited.

“Sorry, I thought it might help if you don't want to we can do something else,” Sarah hastily added when she saw my reaction.

“We can't she doesn't live in this world,” I said through the tears. Sarah opened her mouth but Nelson simply raised his hand towards her and shook his head.

“She gave you her address for here right? At the very least we can check after we have had our drinks,” Nelson stated firmly. There was no sense arguing and I simply accepted it was a logically thing to do with a nod. The barman delivered the drinks, Nelson paid and we drank. I think mine was orange juice but I hardly noticed the taste. For all I cared it could have been something foul, I was basically just reacting to having a drink placed in front of me. We left fairly silently and walked pretty much the same way except for Nelson asking for the address with my reply. I felt like my mood had brought everyone down and even if I could find it in myself to limit the effects, my state of mind wouldn't let me. It was only when we stopped that I looked up...

“This is the place?” I asked hesitantly. Nelson nodded he didn't seem shocked at the large castle like house in front of us. Sarah was the same and even Matt who was easily surprised didn't react to it. Was this something to expect in this world?

“Lead on Jessica, she shared the privileges with you so you can open the door,” Nelson instructed. I pushed open the metal gate and stepped towards the door. It was imposing like there was an army lying in wait behind a bush or any blind spot. I finally reached the door and twisted the handle. It opened effortlessly to show a large hall. The outside looked fairly menacing but inside it was calm, the air felt warm. Words couldn't describe it. It was like a fairy tale. It felt so comfortable and homely I felt better just being there.

“Jessica? Come in I will be out in a minute,” Called what sounded like Jasper from a door at the top of the stairs. I stumbled in with my friends following. We went further in and sat down on the sofas in what seemed to be the living room with a large fire burning on the far wall. After a few moments Jasper came slowly down the stairs in a simple T-shirt and trousers. He instantly saw my face and frowned.

“I can tell this isn't a standard visit, what's wrong?” he asked. I couldn't find the words.

“Just a little disagreement but we thought she needed her family to help her,” Nelson replied.

“Sorry to say Becky isn't her. While she wanted to get the day off from work it wasn't possible so I stayed here instead. We expected to Jessie to visit fairly soon, preferably under better conditions. Still I am here so I will do what I can to help. Jessie what is wrong? Take your time to calm down a bit if you need to I am here for you,” Jasper said taking a seat across from me. Nelson started to speak but Jasper simply cut him off waiting for me to talk when I was ready. It took a bit of time to clear my head enough to put the words together but Jasper was simply waited with a reassuring smile to I was ready.

“I exploded at Sammie,” I simply stated.

“It normally takes a lot to get under your skin care to explain a little?” He replied. It took a bit of time but finally I got ready to talk more.

“I couldn't stand it, she was fighting a duel and being completely destroyed and yet her attitude said she would do it all again even with the same outcome and willingly too. She felt every hit as if it was real, she punched and kicked till her body could no longer do any more and after all that she just shook it off as if it was nothing,” Tear had started flowing again.

“This world has odd effects on people who can't live anywhere else,” Jasper stated, “I won't fake to understand her but people's wills can be extremely strong here to the point of suicidal and while you might not want to hear this, there is nothing you can do about it,”

“What makes anyone like that able to be sane in any sense of the word?” I sobbed.

“I am not a permanent part of this world so I don't understand it very deeply. However I find that people who are, are a lot more honest with themselves. It hurts to see people we care about fight hardships alone but without getting up again we will never be able to grow,” The looks from Sarah and Matt seemed slightly shocked to find out Jasper wasn't a full time player but Nelson wasn't phased.

So we should just accept that someone is just running into a wall as if it is a good thing?” I sarcastically comment.

“We must simply let people do what they must if it is important to them. Do you think a parent likes to see their child face hardships of their own creation even if it is what they want? No, they hate seeing the results of it but know it is something they can't change and any attempt would simply be worse. They simple pick up the pieces, be a shoulder to cry on, give advice and help the child overcome their problems. One day they will not be there to help them and so they must teach the child how to stand on their own two feet. Shout at them if you must to say your stance but never deny someone their right to live how they wish even if you don't agree with it,” Jasper paused as if thinking about more to add but then simply left it. It was a lot to take in. Such self destruction was clearly insanity yet his words had made me think. It was quiet for awhile but soon tears fell down my face and I rushed to Jasper and hugged him, tears ever flowing. He simply hugged back stroking me gently. I stayed like that for so long that when I had finally ran out of tears I noticed it was just me and Jasper left.

“They left a little earlier but it seems they left a note for you,” Jasper stated motioning to the table. I wiped my eyes one last time and picked it up.

We felt like it would be better to give you some space.

Take it easy and we will see you at the inn when you are ready.

Don't forget that we are all only human, we will never understand

each other but that doesn't mean we can't accept each other.

Keep strong.

-Nelson

I smiled slightly and folded the note before putting it in my pocket.

“You have found some good friends,” Said Jasper breaking the silence, “This game is odd, it forces competition on a grand scale but in a way that some of the strongest bonds are formed and reinforce. The factions are constantly fighting each other and yet the strength of the bonds within are breathtaking, follow me upstairs I want to show you something,”

I followed to the room he was in earlier and saw countless books on shelves to the right. Maps pinned to the wall to the left and a large desk more suited to hosting a family dinner than working at covered in papers.

“Take a look at this map,” he said pointing to the one of the table, “There are eight points marked in a circle around a centre point.” I looked at it, it was fairly plain but there were flags pinned into it over many places of eight different colours and how anyone could hope to understand was beyond me.

“This is just a simple area of the real game, in the centre of The Hub lies a huge portal, 2,000 people will enter at a time on rare occasions. They head to a map just like this one with one goal. Secure the central area while fighting off seven other armies. Simple enough on paper but no one is willing to accept defeat,”

“How is that possible to win?” I asked.

“It isn't really yet people still do it anyway and then it doesn't get easier, it gets harder. You see after securing the land and building up a defense another portal will open and then you have to defend the portal while advancing in another map much the same against new groups. Some like you who have reach there from another map, others that are 2,000 fresh soldiers all wanting to take it. We don't know all the details but do it enough and you will reach the final map where the White Obelisk is. It is said those that can hold it long enough will earn victory and complete the game. No one has even seen the final map let alone held the Obelisk.”

“It sounds impossible,”

“Many believe it is, to fight through constant maps against seven others and keep the supply lines open from map to map is extremely hard. Those supply lines get cut and you will soon or later no longer be able to hold the portal. Soon your army is crushed and sent back to the last map having to take the centre. Yet we still try against impossible odds. Do you understand why?”

“Not really, no,” I state honestly.

“Challenges appeal to people, it is the ultimate fight in this world. Anyone who makes any progress on it would instantly be noticed and rewarded with huge amounts of fame. So people will run into brick walls, they will break their body thousands of times and every time they will get up dust themselves off and try it all again.”

“Because while seemingly impossible it is something worth doing?”

“Pretty much, any faction leaders are instantly made famous as are their top commanders. It is no easy task to step up to, yet millions try, one day I believe someone will win it, 200 years, 2,000 years it doesn't really mean much to people here time is pretty much endless so they can dedicate lifetimes to such a goal and likely have the time of their lives, both good and bad.”

After his speech I was left deep in thought at it all, I understood some of it. It sort of reminded me of Sammie, impossible odds, fighting to breaking points and constantly getting up on your feet without it leaving any lasting impression. I still didn't understand why she made it worse on herself but I felt like she at least was more human to me. I said my goodbyes and went for a walk back to the inn to see my friends. I needed to see this to better understand them. They are a bit of an odd group, Nelson seems more likely to lead an army than such a small group. Emily, I half expect to be a super model. Sarah, I can see as a caring mother. Matt, it feels like he is still a bit of a kid with his whole life ahead of him. Sammie, I don't really get how she thinks or even what to compare her to but yet she is still part of the group. Such different people and yet they all are friends, not just that but they feel like a family. Nelson the father, Sarah the mother, Emily the mature older sister, Sammie the reckless older sister and Matt the younger brother. I guess they all have their place and as I thick about that I quicken my pace. Soon I break out into a run eager to see them again...

0