Chapter 11
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On waking I went about my normal routine of a quick bath and getting dressed into my more armoured clothes and putting my sword back on my belt. It felt good to be completely out of the starter clothes and into something more defensive. The boots were something that seemed like the might be hard to replace and the sword seemed suitable for the time being so I didn't worry about it. With that I went downstairs to find almost everyone gathered, Nelson had returned.

“Good morning,” I said slowly glancing at his stern expression. I noticed Sarah look at me and smile, it seemed she was happy to see I was in my new gear.

“Morning,” he replied briefly still in thought.

“What has happened?” I asked.

“He is concerned about Lance's attitude from what I told him and also the nature of the trip that is planned,” Sarah explained.

“Oh?” I pried.

“With Lance we will have to take it as it comes however this trip might be a little difficult with two new members, it is contract work but not as structured so can be harder for those not use to it.” he debated with himself, “The gatherer's guild is hosting an event to resupply the markets, it is pretty far away but they will be providing large protection and good wages to anyone willing to work,”

“There will be another feast I take it?” the first thing that came to my mind and he grinned a bit at that.

“Only if we stay for it,” was his response but his smile remained.

“How long and what kind of supplies would we need?” Sarah enquired.

“It is expected to be about seven days, however we would likely pack for nine or ten due to the nature of the work and our newer members.” Nelson instructed, “Anyway when Lance comes we will have to discuss with him but I have put in for some supplies and such from the inn keeper, when everyone is present we will take action on who is coming and how much supplies we need to bring. Either way it should be a good earner and with the structure of it it will be more who is staying for the feast and who is leaving rather than a vote on if we stay,”

As if on cue Lance came down the stairs yawning and stretching, he noticed Nelson and didn't have a clue who he was and his face showed it. Was I this easy to read earlier I considered.

“This is Nelson,” Sarah explained, “Our group's leader he has been away for a short time arranging some contract work.”

“What kind of work?” he simply asked.

“Gathering work to resupply the market. With the Gatherer's guild,” Nelson answered, “We are just checking who is coming at the moment.”

“I might pass then, I want to do more fighting,” Lance commented.

“I would advise against that. Gathering is a very good cash builder and group activity,” informed Nelson.

“But it isn't going to help me with my objective of fighting in the true battlefield,” Lance added.

“I think it helps a lot. Factions generally will do gathering to a large scale as part of building fortifications, it shows skills like hard working, dedication and build a range of skills and connections more so for young recruits. I advise that if you wish to remain in this group you keep in mind that we might not be in a faction but we could be considered a good pre-faction stepping stone,” justified Nelson, not giving Lance much chance to counter again.

“I guess I will just fall in line then,” Lance simply finished as he took a seat.

“Unless a comment otherwise I assume all are willing. Emily what are your plans?” Nelson asked giving everyone a chance to pull out.

“I am willing to work,” Emily stated. After a short pause where no one voiced objections Nelson concluded with all members would be going and knocked on the door going to the basement and left to prepare.

He came up with rucksacks, similar maybe even the same ones we took out last time. He was followed by Storm bringing a large box of supplies placing them down next to him before they he retreated back to the basement.

“Jessica since we are not in a rush you will be able to help out this time, Lance this could be good training for you too,” Nelson commented as he started to instruct us on what to place in the bags, how much, distribution and such. It was fairly organised but slower than the last time when everyone was rushing and had worked without many words. At the end Nelson did a quick check and handed out the bags. He took the heaviest again and the others were more evenly split.

“Jessica, this one is a bit heavier than last time but you should manage, if it is too much for you we can redistribute it when we reach a rest stop. Lance your one is slightly lighter due to being new but not as light as normal for new players since you clearly want to train yourself more,” Nelson commented as he handed me and Lance our rucksacks to take. He briefly went to the bar commenting something about a letter to be delivered that he had already talked to the boss with and passed it over before leading us to the outskirts.

Victor and a few others awaited us there.

“Nelson, Sammie, Sarah, Emily, Matt and Jessica, so good to see you all,” Victor merrily said, “and another new face please introduce us,”

“He is Lance, Matt is his mentor,” replied Nelson.

“A pleasure, anyway the trip is to a more remote area than when you last worked with us. As such I will be providing groups with two guards to guide you. Please met Victoria and -” Victor started.

“-Zenith,” Sammie cut in.

“Ah, you know each other, good good,” Added Victor, “I am doubtful if guards are needed but it is a good way to make sure everyone reaches the location safely and to split my group up keeping numbers high. Please follow their advice on the route for we have contacted information brokers on current pathways.” He bowed and motioned that he was done and we were free to go.

Zenith took the lead sharing basic information of the path with Nelson. Victoria kept to the back more keeping her hood up hiding her face. Zenith was fairly talkative and would often compare fights with Sammie. I guess he was often a companion for her at the feasts or bloodbath. Victoria however just marched silently not taking part in any conversation just keeping pace. I dropped my pace slowly till I was beside her.

“Hello, I am Jessica,” I introduced myself.

“Hello,” She replied almost emotionless.

“Have you been with the Gatherer's Guild a long time?” I asked trying to make conversation.

“I am more of a drifter, their goals and mine match at the moment and Victor is willing to tolerate me,” again she was very lifeless about it.

“What are your goals?” I inquired.

“That depends who you ask,” she responded.

“Well I am asking you,” I tried to phrase it politely but was worried it came out rude.

“To drift,” she dully stated.

“Kind of like water?” I asked.

“I guess, most people wouldn't make that connection,” it felt like a little life had entered her voice.

“Have you drifted long?” I tried my best to keep the conversation progressing but I was worried this person just wanted to be left alone.

“Since the creation of the Spire,” she replied.

“Isn't that almost two hundred years ago?”

“Yes,”

“Have you ever settled?”

“No,”

“Ever wanted to?”

“Unsure, unlikely,”

I took a moment to consider her latest reply. Why did I always seem to find the people who were hard to understand. I mean I knew Matt was fairly open but most others in the group held secrets closely to their chests. We marched on in silence, the people at the front being more talkative. It seemed that Lance was struggling with his load a bit as we reached the first rest stop almost an hour in. When Nelson was working to lighten it I think I saw him grin slightly as if he had given Lance the opportunity to prove himself but was glad he was seeing the limits. Overall I was finding my bag similar to my first trip, heavy but manageable. Considering it was a heavier load I was glad to see at least some progress no matter how slight. When we had sat down it was mainly everyone together but Victoria and Emily sat a bit away to the side, enjoying the quiet. Lance also distanced himself a little but it was a gap of his own making. I sat near Emily and Victoria but not as distanced from the main group. We drank a little and recovered before Nelson motioned to move on after checking with Zenith and Victoria. The next part of the trip was similar, less talking at the back and more at the front. Lance with more in the middle but it felt like he was separate from the group compared to just not talking like the ones further behind. We took rest stops every hour or so and seemed to be getting further and further away from the hub. However even as the sun started to shift further across the sky, we showed no signs of stopping. Late afternoon Nelson instructed us to stop for a food break and made Matt and Lance get fire wood. Zenith and Sammie took watch while the rest of us just did as we were told. It was mostly basic preparation, cutting up some meat, filling a fairly large pot with water and such. Soon we had a filling meaty stew cooking with only Sammie on watch. We ate mostly in silence. Being fast rather than relaxed. Sammie traded with Zenith mid way through the meal and before long we were ready to move on. Before we packed to leave we had to wash up and repack the supplies which we did without wasting time. Nelson quickly gathered us together before we marched onwards again.

“Everyone we have a bit further to go, at the current rate we will be arriving just before sundown. I know you are tiring but with just this final push we will arrive to rest for the night,” Nelson encouraged before leading the way with Zenith. Just as Nelson had said when our second stop was due we arrived. Unlike the last contract the lay out of this area was completely different. The land was divided part rocky and part forest. A steam ran though the forest providing fresh water and four watch towers had be built recently around the area.

“Thank you for the escort Zenith and Victoria. Please don't let us keep you, I am sure you will have to report in.” Nelson mentioned with a bow dismissing our escorts. We set out to a clearing on the far side where others were setting up tents. Nelson find a suitable spot and instructed us to do the same. Compared to last time we all helped out and it was done very rapidly. After some bread was handed out Nelson instructed us to sleep saying he would give the basic run down in the morning. I noticed that this time we only had two tents and we filled them a bit more tightly.

“With the Gatherer's Guild they supply all the look outs and guards,” Sarah explained as I got ready to sleep, “if attacked you might have to fight but generally it is more relaxed on work pattern.”

With that no more words were exchanged and we rested for the next day when the work would begin.

In the morning I was woken by a light nudging from Sarah. Rubbing my eyes I looked up and it was clearly time to meet outside. While we had no camp fire there was food spread out for breakfast. Nelson sat opposite us as we ate.

“For first timers this is very different and we have shift patterns.” Nelson started to explain. “Each half of the day you report to a single work area given your name and group number. We are group sixteen. You work at that area gathering resources and someone keeps a log of the work you do, the harder you work the more you earn. If you find the area not to your liking you are encouraged to keep at it till a break time then shift. If you leave early you might not be permitted to work for payment till the start of the next shift. All pay is granted at the end of the day generally a person will visit with the payment as we are eating. If you are not paid do not panic however. It happens that sometimes the records are not all spread fast enough and you can expect the pay to be granted later on. If after a second day you haven't been granted pay then you can make a comment to one of the overseers and they will track down the paperwork however that is highly unlikely to happen. After we leave the camp the tents and supplies are sealed up only to be opened around lunch and dinner time so keep that in mind. Weapons should also be carried at all times and tools for each task are provided and must be returned before the end of the shift.” With that he dismissed us and I went to Sarah to ask what I should do next.

“Well, there is generally mining which is labour intensive. Stone cutting which can be hard to get use to. Wood gathering which is similar to our last contract but you will have to arrange roles when there. Most other areas won't be suitable since the tasks are more for trained jobs like blacksmiths and even then they won't open up till the second half of the day. If you want to come with me I am likely going to wood gathering to start,” She explained and I simply nodded and followed, it seemed Matt would be joining us where as Nelson, Sammie and Lance were heading to mining while Emily went to the stone cutting area. As we reached the location we presented ourselves to the overseer and told our names and groups. It was simple to group ourselves, we left the tree felling to Matt and would prepare them for movement. Sarah often would borrow an axe when we lacked a tree to work with and we worked efficiently without many words. As the sun reached the top of the sky a large bell sounded.

“Shifts over, just finish up and we will head back to our tents to eat,” Sarah explained as the last tree fell and we finished of the clearing. We walked towards the tents to see everyone else already there and food being handed out. It was mostly bread and fruit but some cheese also was passed around.

“Working hard?” Nelson inquired as we eat and Sarah gave a brief run down of the shifts work. Nelson nodded and we eat mostly in silence. Sarah briefly asked if I wanted to do something else but I was fine with it and group wise we mostly went the same routes. Emily however went to the crafting section as two bells were struck.

“Two bells is the start of a shift, a single bell is the end, but also at the start of the day to single that things are going to be starting soon. If you heard three bells it is nothing to worry about but if constant bell sounds then it means an attack and you need to report to your overseer for reporting for duty. Hopefully we won't have that however,”

We reported for work and once again mentioned our names and group numbers before getting back to how we were before. Simple and methodically working. About mid way though the shift I started to see more of the surroundings as the trees fell. There were many people working in small groups mostly around two to four just like us. Some were faster, a few slower but all very methodical. It was interesting to watch but I had my own work to be doing. I wondered how this forest would last against so many workers if it was truly going to last for seven days. I was glad to hear the bell being struck ending the shift as I was feeling tired as the sun was starting to fade over the trees.

We headed back once again to be greeted with everyone. While most looked tired Lance looked exhausted. Nelson once again gave out instructions as the meal was prepared. As to be expected was a kind of meat stew with bread. When we were about to finished someone with a note-board and several pouches of coins came. We each were called one at a time receiving our wages for the day. It seems the group of wood gatherers all earnt the same since it was a group effort however Nelson earnt huge amounts more than Lance which only seemed to add insult to how tired Nelson was compared to Lance. Even Sammie had gathered more money and she had decided to leave on her second shift early to do who knows what.

The morning was a bit different. Lance wasn't willing to get out of bed and Nelson was angrily venting under his breath. I wondered if there was anything I could do to help but every time I was about to try Sarah stopped me just saying to leave it be. As we finished eating Nelson dragged Lance out of the tent and drenched him with water which certainly got him to his feet.

“What the hell was that for,” yelled Lance.

“Time to move, you were warned and you still went with us to the mining area. Now get up and get prepared for the next day lest you waste a day of bountiful earnings.” commanded Nelson with no raised voice and no anger showing. Lance was now the one venting angrily under his breath as he grabbed something to eat.

“Matt, take Lance with you for wood gathering it will suit him more,” Nelson instructed. “Jess want to try mining? It is hard work but as long as you pace yourself I think you can handle it,” I looked to Sarah for advice and she was encouraging so when we split at the sound of the two bells I followed Nelson. We registered for the shift and each grabbed a pickaxe before he settled on a spot. He started by explaining the basics of how to swing, what size generally was accepted for the rocks and ore to be before it was fine to leave it. It took a bit of time and he carefully watched over me instructing me to start with. As I started to get the hang of it he moved to get to work himself but still watchful to catch my mistakes which were generally few and far between. Unlike wood gathering their was no moments to catch my breath but Nelson suggested every few chunks I take a moment to recover offering a water skin to take a sip from when I had my recovery time. He was tough on me but fair. I worked hard and while I was starting to ache a little I was able to keep up. The bell sounded finally at midday and we returned the pickaxes before reaching the tent. This time only Emily was there before us and she had already started to get the food ready for everyone. While the others joined us at similar time it was Sarah who was muttering under her breath and after we ate she decided to leave Matt and Lance to work together joining us at the mining site. Her style was fairly different to how Nelson instructed me to work and while Nelson commented it wasn't as fast it was more relaxed and needed no real breaks. I found the pace I was working at agreeable and didn't shift working just as hard as I had before lunch, however I was glad to hear the bell. We were the first to return this time and Nelson ordered me to rest as he prepared the meal with Sarah's help, for this I was glad since I felt I was not going to be able to do much and exhaustion had caught up to me. I was nudged awake as the meal was served, it seems I had fallen asleep but gladly accept the bowl before me. We ate fairly silently but Matt didn't look happy. As we were finishing up someone came to deliver our pay. Today I had managed to earn a lot more while Sarah was about the same before. Emily's had shot up dramatically since she had spent the day doing very specialised tasks. Matt and Lance had a fairly large drop however.

“I have had enough of this rubbish,” Lance yelled as he was given the instruction to help with the washing up. He started to ran and rave about how this was a waste of time, how it was almost slavery and cursing near constantly.

Nelson gave him a moment to finished then in a shocking twist punched him hard enough to knock him down.

“Nothing but complaining and poor work ethics.” he angrily commented, “You have a chance to work hard and gain good money and skills, the connections you make with the Gatherer's Guild are nothing to be take for granted. If you are unhappy then leave, no one will stop you. Be a drifter trying to find your way back because I have had enough. Either accept that these are the tasks required even in factions these skills are vital or give up on your dreams of ever getting anywhere.”

I don't think Lance had been expected to be called out on his attitude. At first he was silent then he simply brushed himself off and left. I wanted to stop him but Nelson grabbed my arm as I stood up.

“He will be back,” he explained, “he just needed to be put in his place and if he doesn't return within a day then maybe he will find what he seeks, either way I am not going to put up with him any more.”

While Matt and I wanted to do something about it the stern looks from the others showed they were unwilling to going against Nelson on this. I simply crawled into the tent and slept unsure of the events of the past day.

“Rise and shine,” Sammie commented waking me up. I was a bit groggy but crawled out of the tent. No Lance but I guess after the last night I kind of expected this outcome. We ate fairly silently when dividing up I followed Nelson to the mining area it was just us again and I didn't really pay attention to where everyone else went. Another day, another task to do. The rocky area had moved back a fair amount from the start of the last day and most of the chunks we had mined had been moved. Nelson found us a good spot and we worked the same as the day before. I was starting to take a break after an extra chunk compared to before and was trying to push myself to work harder. Nelson was still keeping an eye on me but I sensed his approval. As the bell sounded to end the shift we headed back.

“Jess, you have worked well today but I would like you to do something less tiring for the second half, you will be on chore duty tonight,” Nelson instructed as we walked. I simply nodded and he gently patted me shoulder as we sat to prepare food for everyone. Emily was there and simply watching the clouds.

“Shift ended early?” Nelson asked.

“Yeah the identification process has slowed a bit due to a fair few workers so looks like I will be shifting to other tasks,” she replied.

“Any thoughts?” he enquired.

“Most likely stone cutting,” was the response.

“Mind taking Jessica along? She could do with some instruction there,”

“Sure,” was all she said as the food was past out. After eating I followed her to an area near the miners where the chunks of rocks had been moved after sorting. After reporting in she instructed me to take a hammer and chisel from the crates and led me to brickwork. At first she showed me the basics of how to use the hammer and chisel to slowly break off the extra stone then how to smooth it down and finally where to place it when done. After I was starting to be able to work alone she took a seat opposite me and worked on her own. No words just the sound of a chisel chipping at stone. I wasn't very skilled at it but I was at least making acceptable sized bricks. It wasn't as tiring as mining but the concentration needed was a lot higher. As I finally got into the swing of things a hammer slammed into my brick.

“What the hell?” I asked, slightly shaken at the sudden interruption.

“The markings on the stone show that there was a gem in there,” she commented picking up a tiny gem that even when she told me it was their I struggled to see anything. She tossed a coin to the nearby overseer who nodded back making a quick note. She then handed me a small pile of coins for my lost labour and we worked once again in silence. I was glad that the hammer didn't fall on my bricks while we worked however it did still fall a few times on her own. As the shift ended we returned to camp, I was glad it was done this sort of work I didn't enjoy and felt my skills were lacking. We ate, got paid and I helped with the washing up and other minor chores. Another day sorted however their was still no sign of Lance, I wanted to comment on it but no one seemed willing to talk about it so at the end of the day I just went to sleep.

On day four I was up according to hearing a bell I guess the other days I hadn't woke up in time to hear it. I crawled out of the tent to be greeted by Nelson and the others were rising as well. We ate in silence. I was considering where I was going to work as Sarah nudged me softly.

“Feel like working with me and Matt in the wood gathering areas today?” She asked, well that settled that and I gave nod following them as we left. It was a simple shift without anything to comment on. After lunch we went out to the same area again. As the time went on we had barely spoken anything unrelated to work till Matt suddenly stopped leaving his axe in a tree.

“What is it?” Sarah asked seeing the menu.

“Lance has terminated the mentor quest,” he commented, I think I saw a puzzled look but before I could say anything he got back to work trying not to let it phase him. When the shift finally ended there are a knocking on a nearby tree grabbing our attention. As I turned around I saw Victoria, hood still up but her size and mannerism was unmistakable.

“Matt I met with Lance earlier,” she commented, “He was looking for ways to end the mentor quest and I sold him the information,”

“Why would you do that?” he asked, a little sadness in his voice.

“I made a wager with him. First I charged him all the money he had earnt for information on how to end it then I said I was unwilling to help him get back the hub since he had no money for that information. Finally I made him the bet that he would go back to his group due to being unable to find anyone to help him out,” she handed Matt a pouch of coins. “This is the money I took from the information and also the amount for the wager, if my bet is wrong this is for a wager I make with you. I want nothing in return. However if he does return then here is my wager funds that go to him, I expect he will be back either tonight or tomorrow. It look like he hadn't managed to eat much in the time since he stopped working.”

Matt took a moment to take that all in and followed Sarah back I said I would catch up and went after Victoria.

“Do you have faith in him or something to expect him to return back?” I asked her.

“No, I have faith in no one else wanting someone who abandons his group in an opportunity such as this,” she commented, “Anyway either way I am not out of pocket. This is just a fun little venture that could be useful for your group, either by ridding you of dead weight or by granting you someone willing to work,” With that she left and while I hesitated then went back to the camp.

The evenings meal was mostly quiet but Sarah filled Nelson in on the events letting Matt be rid of the thoughts. Emily and Sammie were on chore duty tonight so I took it easy gazing at the stars as the meal was prepared. Victoria's idea had interest me a little. I kind of was hoping to see Lance back but honestly I was doubtful. It seemed she had covered all bases with it and was fine with whatever outcome but she seemed to have the odds stacked in our favour. The pay arrived before our meal was ready today, I was constantly getting similar amounts within a hundred or so. Nelson was also. Emily's had sky-rocketed again earning in more than everyone else combined. My jaw dropped when I had heard the amount she earnt.

“It pays to be skilled,” was all she commented. We ate our meal and turned in for the night.

Day five I once again heard the bell waking me up. It felt like I was in a routine now, wake up, eat, work, eat, work, eat then sleep. The routine was at times tiring but I was looking forward to the feast. I had noticed their were another four guard towers spread out much further away. Guess the coverage of the first four was now lacking. After breakfast I drifted with Nelson to do some more mining. It made me feel stronger even if realistically I was likely not much better than before. I think Nelson agreed with my work ethics and whenever I caught him watching me I found I constantly noticed a smile. As the shift ended I returned to the camp ready for food. As food was shared out I heard footsteps behind me. It was Lance. He looked a complete mess, red marks were fairly common across his body, his hair looked a scattered mess and his eyes were dulled.

“Please take me back,” he said grovelling on all fours, “I was wrong, I am sorry just don't abandon me. I see the importance of this whatever you do just don't leave me alone out here.” I think he was crying as he said it. Nelson tossed a large than average piece of bread at him.

“Eat that, you look half starved, this afternoon you are mining with me,” he ordered. I don't think Nelson was wrong about his comment of starved, Lance hungrily ate the bread but didn't complain or ask for more just sat there waiting instructions. As we finished and got ready to get back to work Sarah led me to wood gathering to let Nelson and Lance work alone. I didn't really mind and didn't complain. Victoria came to visit mid way though the shift.

“I told you he would be back however just to be on the safe side only return that wage at the end of tomorrow making sure he stays,” she instructed Matt who simply nodded as he kept working on the tree. At the end of the shift we returned to the camp to find a tired looking Lance but he didn't complained and at least looked a bit better than before. Nelson gave chore duty to Matt and Lance before starting to prepare the food. The pay was delivered as we were serving up and Lance had actually made a fair share from only half a days work. Emily once again earnt the most but she didn't disclose it keeping the matter quiet in front of Lance. As we turned in for the night I was impressed by the change I had seen. Lance was completely humbled, he didn't complain and simple accepted the tasks without anything negative to say. I guess the days alone had been hard on him. I didn't really want to know the details. We simply went about our business as usually and went to sleep.

0