Chapter 13
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was early afternoon when I rose the next day. It seemed only Nelson was missing but everyone else was sleeping. I simply stretched and took a look around. Hardly anyone had left yet and I was wondering how it would go since the journey here took almost a day.

“They might stay another day or camp out on the returned,” called Victoria who was taking a walk nearby. I was about to ask how she knew what I was thinking but she added, “You have an easy to read face. That might change when you get a bit older,” She then invited me to go on a walk with her so I carefully got up not to disturb the others and followed her.

“Back to that inn I take it?” she asked.

“Yes, how do you know about that?” I replied.

“My mother always taught me knowledge was power and in that case I have acquired a fair bit of it. I know of your sister and her boyfriend, the Moonlight Crusade and much more. Word travels and it is easy to find out.” was her explanation.

“Are you an information broker?”

“No but I have some knowledge you won't find their,”

“Such as?”

“Sorry but that sort of information doesn't come cheap and I highly doubt you could afford it. Even the rich have knowledge they can't buy,”

After she said that I decided to drop the subject and we talked about lighter things. Once again she led me to where my group had stayed for the night and said farewells just as Nelson was arriving back.

“Jess, wake the others we are leaving soon,” he ordered and I did as I was told as he packed up a bit. It was pretty quick before we were all packed up, some of the group half groggy but no one complained.

“Sorry for the rude awakening but I have managed to get us transport on one of the less full carts back to the hub, we will reach there before nightfall this way.” he explained. Eat something quickly and get ready to travel it will leave within half an hour. We did as instructed mostly have bread with cheese as we walked towards the banner.

“Nelson, please come. The cart is almost ready get on back and we will be off shortly.” Victor instructed on noticing us. With a bit of help Nelson helped us onto the cart before climbing on himself. The bags at the front end were strapped down and I wondered what was in them but guessed it wouldn't be answered. It wasn't long before a few more seats were taken on the back. I was surprised to see Victoria was riding with us and Zenith seemed to be at the front on the reins.

“Hold on everyone, time to leave.” Zenith called back as he flicked the reins and the cart stirred to life. While it was a bit of a bumpy ride I could see that we would be in a long line of carts with escorts walking beside. They seemed to be at a fast march matching the carts. Even when I expected the cart to stop for a break it, they moved without complaint at a pace our group couldn't match. It was mostly silent for the first few hours, a few of us had fallen asleep tired but as the evening crept in talk started. Lance for the most part was quiet, deep in though when the hub was finally in view over the tree tops however, it changed.

“I know I don't deserve it but please be my mentor again Matt,” he stated with a bow, “I will follow your lead and experience till I am ready to set out on my own.”

“While I don't have a problem with it...” Matt started nervously, “I have no idea how to reinstate the quest,”

With a few movements of a menu Lance had triggered a menu in front of Matt. Who confirmed it.

“Part of my terms on breaking the ties are mending them also,” commented Victoria. When his menu confirmed it, Lance smiled at finally being tied to the group again. Matt considered this a good time to hand back the wages that Victoria had claimed in her bet and talk resumed as normal. As we arrived at the outskirts the cart stopped.

“End of the line,” called Zenith. As we all got out I was surprised to see Victoria doing the same, thinking she would ride the cart further with the guild.

“Nelson would you allow me to join your group?” asked Victoria, “It has grabbed my interest.”

“Sure, any friend of Victor is a friend of mine,” replied Nelson. I wasn't sure she if she really found us interesting or was simply seeking more information but from her glances she seemed to be keeping an eye on Lance and I.

It was a short walk back to the inn as night finally fell. We gathered up around a slightly larger table the old one we used now being too small.

“Right first we need to talk business. Due to the nature of this trip there are no group funds but we need to pay our way. I would like each of you to announce your total earning so we might fairly contribute to the trip. Victoria you are exempted from this since you have only just joined us. Personally I made fourteen thousand ish” Nelson explained.

“I made just over eleven thousand.” Matt starting us off.

“Slightly under thirteen thousand,” Sarah added.

“Nineteen,” Sammie said smugly.

“Just over twelve thousand.” I pitched in.

“Three thousand, one hundred,” Lance announced sheepishly.

“A hundred and twenty-nine thousand,” Emily finished with. Which made Lance's jaw drop.

“If you want to earn a lot then you need the skills to back it up.” was all she commented on his reaction while Nelson worked out some numbers in his head.

“Well I think I have a fair amount worked out. Sarah, Matt and Jessica shall contribute one thousand one hundred. Sammie and I will contribute each contribute one thousand two hundred, Lance shall pay three hundred and Emily if you would be willing to contribute four thousand it would allow us to build up our group funds a bit and pay off our debts for the trip.” Nelson announced. We each started to count out the funds before adding them to the middle. When Nelson checked it all he nodded and split them into two piles, one for the group funds and one into a rucksack. He then took all the rucksacks and left to go to the basement.

“What did you exactly do to earn so much?” Lance asked Emily.

“Identification of material quality mostly, however if I had worked all shift I would have earnt a lot more,” was the reply.

“Where can I learn those skills?” he next asked.

“If you want to seriously learn them, find someone to take you as an apprentice. You should be ready to aid with crafting and such on those contracts in about ten years,” she commented and then showed she was unwilling to answer any more questions.

“Ten years...” was all that slipped from him mouth.

“Newcomers tend not to focus on such skills unless they really are driven to learn it. I wouldn't advise you to seek such employment for at least a few years,” Sarah recommended. I think he was still struggling with the time span of ten years and didn't really take that in. Nelson quickly after rejoined the group.

“Matt, Jessica and Lance, you are wanted downstairs,” he instructed as he took a seat. I let Matt go first and followed down the stairs to the basement.

“Just a routine inspection of weapons,” called Storm from his blacksmithing corner. It was mostly just weapon sharpening between us with a light touch up on the grip on one of Matt's axes.

“So Lance, how was your first contract,” Storm asked in passing.

“I-” he started then paused unsure what to say.

“He had a few issues but once his head with in the right place he worked fine,” Matt added.

“Well Rome wasn't built in a day. These things take time, I am sure you will manage better next time,” Storm commented inspecting my sword carefully.

“I will try harder,” Lance mentioned biting his lip a little.

“Well as long as you move forwards you should be fine. We were all newcomers once,” Storm handed me back my sword which had a fresh gleam to it.

“Would you be recruiting an apprentice,” Lance asked as he handed over his Halberd for inspection.

“No, I am busy enough these days. If you are serious seek out Gerald's broker. Often chances are posted their but you don't seem ready for it if you ask me,” commented Storm disapprovingly while finishing up the halberd.

“Anyway all done,” he added while handing back the halberd, “I have work to do so please show yourselves out,” With that he put his tools away and made for some of the back shelves. We didn't hang around to see what he did next and climbed up the stairs.

“All good?” enquired Nelson. We mostly just nodded before taking our seats. There was already food and drinks on the table and we helped ourselves mostly by instinct. Tiredness had settled a little and it wasn't long before we started heading upstairs to sleep.

The next morning Nelson greeted us and quickly dismissed us from group work. I decided to take the chance to wander the streets alone. I checked to see if my sister was around but no sign of her or Jasper. Next I decided to just follow the streets. There seemed to be a lot more activity. The Gatherer's Guild was moving a lot of their goods to shops now and more than one time I was having to step aside so a cart could pass. When I finally stopped I found myself in front of the Spire. I couldn't help but look up at it. I had never been so near and it seemed to be endless in size fading only behind clouds. There was often movement here. Small armoured groups were moving in and out of the Spire, the shops here were grand and built up a lot higher than the other buildings further away. I felt like an ant here, it was just huge and completely over my head. It really put it in perspective just how small and insignificant we were in this world. I got up from the bench I had sat down on when a shop's logo caught my eye. It was Gerald's information broker. The doorway was maybe a handful of steps from the Spire, likely one of the first shops to be set up.

I decided to go inside opening the door to be greeted with a lot of talk and discussion.

“May I help you?” someone by the door asked.

“Just looking, I guess I would want to offer my thanks to the group who saved me a week or so ago,” I replied.

“Well with all our groups I couldn't say who it was but if you wish to make a note in the guest book I am sure they would be pleased to see the comments.” the doorman replied pointing a little to the side at a large book.

I thanked him and stepped towards it unsure what to put. The quill seemed odd in my hands and I remembered I hadn't written anything in a long time. After flexing my fingers I scribbled a thank you note into it, finishing by signing my name. While I had tried to make it tidy I felt annoyed at how messy it was. Any attempts at tidying it up would only make it look worse. After a quick look around I could see it was organised into sections with multiple receptions spread around with different signs over them. Quests, Player information, Jobs, Price guide, Material Trade and more, it was overwhelming to say the least and I decided to leave before I was lost in a crowd. When I was outside my head was spinning a bit and I sat back down on a nearby bench. When I had calmed down I looked around again. I could see all sorts of strange logo's on the buildings a small stand even had what looked to be a representation of the Spire. I guessed from the style it was a sort of help desk for people looking to enter but I didn't really care and I stood up to leave.

Taking one last look at the Spire I headed back to the inn.

It was oddly quiet when I opened the door just a someone behind the counter who recognised me and gave a short nod. I waved briefly in reply and sat down. I imagined how it was usually with the group, the talk the generally aura. I kind of felt lonely now I was here alone. I guess I needed a hobby or at least something to do when I had days off. As I was considering what to do a drink was placed in front of me. I looked up to see Storm there.

“Something on your mind?” he asked taking a seat opposite.

“I guess I just was trying to think of something I can do on my days off,” I stated taking a sip of the offered drink.

“Well the virtual world isn't much different to the real world. What did you like to do in your free time there?”

“I didn't really have any hobbies. I would often just read books, fiddle with my bike and watch films,”

“Well that is an option if you wanted to however would likely have to leave the game to do some of those. However from what I hear it seems like that is something you do to fill time not to use it,”

I honestly didn't have much idea what he meant with that. He could see my confusion and added.

“When you were doing those things it was more relaxing rather than developing any skills so maybe you should consider looking for options that will allow you to develop yourself further.” I sipped from my drink thinking until I finally drained it. He took this moment to pick up the glasses and walk towards the bar.

“Wait, how much for the drink,” I asked.

“Oh did you want to order a drink?” he asked innocently. For some reason I felt like recently people were completely controlling everything around me. However it had got me thinking and soon out I had my answer. Picking myself up I set out once again for my sister's house.

It wasn't really a time she would be around but I decided to wait it out. At first I tried just sitting around but soon I got bored and started to explore the house. I wandering into the kitchen area at first and while there was food it was only maybe enough for a meal or two. I guess that was logical since this was more of a base than a home. Soon I was wandering around the others rooms and while there were some rooms that were good for relaxing or filling needs I noticed a large amount of rooms just filled with boxes of supplies. Mostly equipment like armour, weapons and such. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I opened a door but one room was just empty, a large room with basically plenty of space but nothing else. Rooms for meetings between a large amount of people, rooms for also sorts of things like books, it didn't seem to be a standard kind of house but more of a castle ready for a siege than someone to stay. Finally when I got bored of the downstairs I ascended to the next floor. I remembered the study briefly and just gave it a quick glance seeing some new or updated maps or selection of things moved around but some of the other rooms were a bit more normal. Bedrooms, large bath areas, games with some basic carved board games like chess, it was seeming much more like a house than a fortress. I guess the business stuff was more downstairs with, a few rooms for other things but the main house was here. I kept examining the rooms until finally I came across one that was locked. At first I thought I hadn't tried to open it correctly but then I discovered I didn't have access to it. From my map of the house I had made it should have a fair chunk left that way to explore but it seemed I wasn't going any further. With that I gave up and got back to waiting downstairs relaxing on one of the sofas.

I must have drifted off since I was woken up by Jasper giving me a nudge.

“Rise and shine,” he said as I rubbed my eyes. After getting my thoughts in order I gave him a hug.

“Well that’s always a welcome greeting. Did you need something or where you looking for Becky?” he asked.

“A bit of both actually. I was wondering if I could use your faction's training area on my days off,” I commented partly as a request.

“I don't see why not. Want me to show you where it is and get people to allow you entry?” he enquired.

“Now is good for me,” I replied and after a quick hand to my feet we set out.

“So what is you with you? Seems like you are burying yourself in different activities and word is certainly travelling about all sorts of stories. No idea what is your group and what isn't but the note from Nelson about Lance seemed to be a little worrying why not just give me a run down,” and with that I started to give a bit of the story. There was nothing that really shocked him even with Lance or the quest we attempted with bad information and he mostly just listened only asking for more information when I wasn't clear enough for him. When I was finally done he nodded his head taking it all in.

“Seems like you are starting to have adventures of your own, a lot to take in. Magic members are rare outside of factions and I have heard a little of someone called Victoria before but don't really know much about them. Still sounds like you have a good handle on it all. My news is pretty basic, one of our major outpost structures was found and we had to reinforce it fighting off attacks. Mostly successful we didn't push out but kept it defended with maybe more resource costs than I would have liked. Becky I think was asked to work late today hence why she hasn't been on yet but I think she seems happy you are finding a place for yourself,”

With that it was mostly just light chat about the most minor things till we were nearing the Spire. He stopped in front of a large castle like building with battlements and everything. The logo on the front was a black background with a kind of starry night. It had a moon at the top and a beam from it lighting up a shield that had a picture of a sword on it.

“This is our training grounds, ready to enter?” he asked while I looked up at it almost in wonder. I gave a nod and he opened the door.

“Commander, we were not expecting you today. Was there something you needed?” A well armoured soldier commented bowing as he did.

“Just wish for permissions to be granted to train a new player I know whenever they wish to come here.” he replied, his voice very different to what I was use to. I guess it could be called his commanding voice.

“Of course sir, is this her?” he asked sizing me up.

“Yes, add her to full access of the place but don't worry about teaching her tactics or mixed weapon skills just let her come train and take part in the training she wishes,” he instructed.

“I will make sure it is well known with the barracks sir. Should I extend the privileges to people she might bring?” the soldier requested. Jasper gave me a glance and I shrugged.

“I guess that would be ideal, how about you gave her a basic tour of the training areas I will inspect some of the soldiers here for now,” Jasper left after that going straight ahead.

“Anyway welcome, please follow me, I will guide you around and answer any questions you may have. It is unusual for the commander to personally bring a new recruit of the faction here,” the soldier stated.

“I am not actually a recruit.” I stated.

“Sorry, perhaps a member of admin or finance needing some basic lessons of warfare?” he asked trying to be as polite as possible.

“No I am pretty much a new player still on my mentor quest.” I added, his almost grovelling before me was starting to get uncomfortable. His looked changed after that.

“Perhaps a friend or family?” he asked unsure of himself.

“He is my sister's boyfriend,” I explained.

A gentle “Ah,” was all he managed as he finally reached the first room. The tour from there was very matter of fact. First he showed me a duelling area much more formal than the bloodbath, no bets were made it was simple a place to test yourself against others and different types of weapons. Next was a single handed weapon room followed by a two handed weapon room. He explained that the basics at the start were the same and instructors were around for advice and demonstrations. Next was the longer ranged weapons like spears and such. After that the next room was extremely long for bows, some of the targets they were managing to hit I could barely see at the other end. He skipped over some rooms just stating they were classrooms for learning tactics or military information. Other rooms were things like unarmed combat which was often split into multiple rooms for active teaching, unarmed fights and some things that went a little over my head like “Advanced counter methods while unarmed against extreme condition foes” when I looked inside I actually saw a few people go flying across the room. There were a wide range, for example one room was about group combat between other groups with many different situations, other were simple exercise and weight lifting. There were eating areas, a very large area upstairs for washing and sleeping but when we climbed the stairs I noticed it would actually be a third or fourth floor in a normal building rather than a second. Up another set of stairs was a simulated guard placement training that was about identifying people while on guard duty and how to access threats which had been the battlements from the outside. After the tour was done he led me back to the entrance.

“Anyway you will be permitted to enter past this area from now on and once inside you are unlikely to be questioned about who you are unless you go against the room's training program. While not a member please try and be respectful of others,” he informed me. I gave a nod to that and noticed Jasper had finished his inspection.

“So what next Jess, want to try out some rooms or come back with me to see if Becky is there?” he asked leaving it up to my choice.

“I guess I will return with you for now, at least I have this option for another rainy day so to speak,” I commented trying to take it all in.

“Yeah, most of the more tactical based stuff is instructed during certain times and we have a few dedicated courses and re-enactment of certain battles in the past to help drill soldiers but those are much more at set time and missing one kind of ruining the point of it so I advice against those but I guess you could always watch if you wanted to.” He explained as he led me back to the house.

When the door was opened I saw Hector who seemed to glare at me disapprovingly as we entered, Rebecca was talking to him but his eyes almost glued on Jasper and I, almost certainly me.

“Hector, give the report on the way to the spire,” commanded Jasper as he grabbed a large bag along with his massive sword and also an extremely large shield. As Hector left he gave me one look of disgust.

“Well there's a face I am hardly seeing much of these days,” commented Becky giving me a hug.

“Sorry,” I started but before I could explain she cut me off.

“Don't be, it is a good thing you have found a place you belong with friends to share it with. How are you finding all this now? It wasn't too long ago you were unsettled here after your accident,” She flinched at the last part, more than I did which was odd since I was the one who died.

“I still have some bad dreams but those have mostly faded, the fight with Sammie was brutal but just something I decided on and have to live with it,” I explained.

“I meant a bit deeper than that. I want to know how you are finding all of it now since I hardly see you,” she probed.

“I have come to accept my place here I guess and have settled, I asked Jasper if I could use the faction's training grounds for my days off since I was a bit bored but I think I can manage it all now,” was my reply.

“That is good. I would rather see less of you but have you enjoying yourself than see more of you but have you be miserable,” she replied with another hug but she was distant.

“Is something the matter?” I enquired.

“Well...” she started thinking carefully how to approach the subject, “A few days before your accident Jasper proposed to me. I said I needed time to think about it but with what happened it all got put on hold. I guess I want to give my reply now but I am worried the timing still isn't good with you,” she seemed to struggle with it.

“I don't want to delay your life if you want to marry him,” I added giving my blessing.

“Who said I was going to accept?” she answered. I started stumbling words trying to make sentences but managing nothing more than the start of excuses.

“Sorry, that was a mean joke. Of course I was planning to accept, I just feel like it might not yet be the right time,” she added as I struggled with words still.

“What sort of timing do you need? I mean you want this right?” was my response.

“Yes,” she commented.

“And you have no other issues that came in the way not counting what happened to me?” I added.

“Yes,” she commented again.

“And I am fine now so what is the issue?” I asked.

“I guess nerves. I mean I think I would have been happy to accept when he proposed but I was scared then I sort of used the accident as an excuse to delay it. I guess even if I think it is what I want, I am still scared of what it means,” she explained.

“I think the issue is when you get married rather than if,” was all I could do to explain what I thought. She gave me one last hug, longer this time and I could see in her eyes that she had decided on her course of action but I didn't probe.

“Anyway, tell me of your current adventures!” she requested and with that I explained my recent tales.

0