Chapter 14
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke the next day in an unfamiliar bed. I had spent a long time talking to my sister and I guess I fell asleep and she carried me upstairs to a free room. My thoughts lingered on talk of marriage. I think I knew why she hesitated since I also had felt like I would never marry, granted I hadn't really been in a relationship so I had no real evidence to go on and then I ended up here. I stretched slightly and got to my feet finding my sword leant against the door frame. I picked it up and thought about all the adventures I had had with it in such a short time. It might have just been a digital sword but I already was feeling like it was an extension of myself. I walked to leave seeing a note that I could help myself to anything in the kitchen for breakfast but decided I wanted to eat at the inn and with that I set off.

When I arrived at the inn almost everyone was there except Lance who I guessed was sleeping late and Sammie who was likely fighting somewhere. I sat to join them ordering breakfast as I heard the discussions of what to do. Matt was a bit unsure of going on another quest, I wasn't sure if it was him simply being tired or due to the last one going badly. Sarah was in favour of a quest as a means to introduce Victoria officially to the group but Nelson wasn't sure on what kind of quest to go on since Victoria's fighting style was still unknown.

“How about I rent an arena out and show you how I fight?” Victoria commented when no progress was made.

“I guess that is an option,” considered Nelson, “Who would you want to demonstrate with?”

“I was thinking more of a free for all fight between us so we could get use to each other's fighting style,” Victoria replied but from her face I think she was up to something. A few moments after the door slammed open.

“So boss what's the plan?” Sammie enquired as she grabbed a seat. Nelson quickly explained what had been talked about with Sammie taking it all in.

“You know I did some research at the bloodbath, it seems a fair few people have tried to fight Victoria yet there isn't any records of her winning or losing a fight,” Sammie commented in thought.

“Was it at your usual hang outs for these fights?” Sarah asked.

“No these are in the field as in actively hunting her,” Sammie replied.

“As in player hunters?” Nelson enquired unsure what to think of that.

“I can't be sure, maybe just players trying to be bandits against her or something,” Was all Sammie added.

“Well either way if she is joining us we need to know how she fights. Our group is getting to the stage we should be considering if to go for larger group sized quests or staying how we are,” Nelson commented, “Matt can you get Lance, we should be leaving soon either way.” Matt gave a quick nod and rushed upstairs. It wasn't long before a tired looking Lance was following Matt to join us.

“Sorry I am late,” he said with a yawn as he sat down.

“Don't worry about it we were just planning to rent an arena to do some group combat exercises, would you be willing to eat on the way or should we let you have breakfast here first?” Nelson asked.

“On the way is fine,” Lance commented.

“Anyone have knowledge of an arena that is available to use?”

“Lets just head to the Bloodbath, always somewhere to fight there,” voted Sammie.

“Lets go somewhere a bit more structured, I would rather not be seen around there and we might have issues getting into group fight if we all went,” Nelson commented.

“Yesterday I got access to my sister's faction's training area,” I started, “I don't think there would be an issue since Jasper made it clear to those at the entrance that I was allowed to go and he allowed me to bring others also,”

“Well unless someone else has a better suggestions I will have to take you up on that offer,” said Nelson. I think he was a bit unsure and wanted to have someone suggest something else due to his fears of Lance getting ahead of himself again. However when no other suggestions came he asked me to lead on. Lance got a sandwich as he left and I showed them to the large castle like training area.

“This certainly is a first for me,” commented Nelson as for once he seemed nervous about what to do. I gave them a moment to collect themselves before opening the door.

“Hello, I take it you are here to practice. Are these others with you?” someone at the front desk asked.

“Yes, is it possible we can have a group fighting area for some group drills?” I asked trying to make it sound more important than it was.

“Certainly,” he said making a few notes and handing me a key, “Group room nine should suit your needs, please take your time and conclude your exercises as you see fit,” With that he let us pass and I tried to remember my way around till I found the group rooms, I looked at each of the doors till I found one marked nine and placed the key in the lock. We entered to find a fairly large room with a back storage room for different items used for training like cover, weapons and even flags.

“Anyway lets just spread out around the room and on the count of three strikes to my shield we shall fight,” Nelson instructed. We took our places, while Sammie wanted to be right next to Victoria to test herself against her the spots were already taken and she ended opposite to her. The strikes came and we edged forwards not sure what to expect. Sammie charged straight at Victoria however and tried to punch her. I wasn't sure what happened next but a shock wave sent Sammie back pretty far. Sammie was uncertain what had happened and approached more carefully. Nelson and Lance who had been fighting each other carefully both stopped looking at what had caused the very air to shake.

“That was not gem based magic,” commented Emily drily examining Victoria closely. I think we were all a bit nervous of Victoria's fighting style now and even Sammie was only edging towards her ready for any attack. Victoria walked calmly towards her however. I wish I could say it was as if she was going to fight but it felt like she was simply walking down a street in the real world without a care in the world. Sammie wasn't sure how to react and when Victoria was in striking range she hesitated. That moment was all it took for Victoria to slide a dagger out from her sleeve into her right hand and swing it towards Sammie who jumped back a little. It grazed her cheek.

“What the...” Sammie commented in shock. Victoria followed up with a thrust but Sammie wasn't going to be caught off guard twice so she swung low with a kick ducking under the dagger. Victoria fell off balanced and when Sammie jumped to attack Victoria simply clapped her hands together causing another shock wave knocking her back against the wall. I think that was the first time I ever saw Sammie scared, she seemed to have lost her will to fight.

“Magic imbued gauntlets,” commented Emily, “Am I right?”

“That would be correct, these chain mail gloves have a fairly strong wind magic in them,” Victoria replied.

“That dagger is magical too,” commented Sammie with a hand over the scratched cheek.

“Fire based,” Victoria confirmed. Nelson called a stop to the fight for a moment.

“Mind explaining it for us who are not as magically knowledgeable?” Nelson asked.

“The gloves are able to create shock waves when knocked against each other. It is best for creating space or distracted the opponent, the magic is designed on them to work together rather than in a direct hit. The dagger is fire based to allow ease of cutting meaning that its attack power is much stronger than it would otherwise be,” Victoria explained.

“Any other magical items hidden?” asked Sammie still unsure if to get up or release her cheek that seemed to be stinging from her expressions.

“Just those, how about I show you just how I fight in a team fight,” Victoria suggestion.

“Sure, teams will be-” Nelson started.

“Lets just go your group against me,” Victoria cut in. I wasn't sure what to make of her confidence. I mean I knew Sammie was able to go against large numbers from the feast fights I had seen her in but even then it wasn't as if a group the size of ours was actively targeting her at once.

“If that is your wish,” Nelson commented as he motioned for us to join him opposite her. He huddled us around.

“I don't know what to expect here so lets play this carefully, Lance you and I will take the front, our long weapons should allow us to keep her locked down a bit. Sarah I want you to go to the side more, just support us with your arrows. Emily, Jessica and Matt, try to flank her I doubt she can handle that with the other attacks. Sammie I guess you should come behind me and Lance, we will create a front opening then allow you to pass in between us to attack.”

We all gave a nod as we readied ourselves. Victoria signalled that she was ready and our attack started. The first attack to reach her was an arrow but with a small clap the arrow was sent spinning upwards gently before it tapped the ground. Lance and Nelson were thrusting with their weapons next but seemed to fail to connect against Victoria who weaved between them. Emily had jumped off the wall in a rapid missile like stab but Victoria slid under it before she reached her. Matt swung his axes together as I attacked from the other side but with a large clap we were both sent back. Sammie had jumped onto Nelson's shoulder and was coming down strongly for a kick but Victoria raised the knife in her right hand to intercept it which caused Sammie to twist abandoning the attack. Victoria had little time to counter attack but with her gauntlets, small size and fast movements she was causing us to be unable to land a hit and even get in each other's way. Matt swung with a single axe in both hands at her but she simple dodged under it and clapped again knocking him back, his other axe which he had thrown into a high ark was sent back with him almost impaling him. He decided to surrender with that knowing he had gotten a lucky escape. Sarah was still shooting arrows but none of them landing on Victoria either flicked away with a small clap or even having Nelson led into them. Nelson made sure that no one else took a hit from them often stepping in front with his heavy armour to protect Lance. I finally found an opening and swung my sword down with all my might. She clapped to knock some of the others away and raised her right arm to block. I looked for her dagger to try and get around it and not get cut but she wasn't holding it there and she caught my sword in the gauntlet which showed no signs of hurting her. With a quick motion her left hand went to my side and I felt the sting of the dagger. It wasn't like a normal attack it actually had a stinging feeling. It seemed my settings would still have different feelings when magic was involved and I withdraw and joined Matt and Sarah who were sitting out admitting defeat. Lance thrust forwards then swung his halberd trying to catch Victoria however it seemed she had caught him somehow and launched him away with a clap. I don't know the details but he joined us sitting out.

Nelson was soon overpowered by being knocked over with a clap and he surrendered with the dagger to his neck. Sammie was still attacking but constantly unable to finish her attack unwilling to accept a blow from the dagger while Emily was trying to land a hit herself. The thing was Victoria wasn't generally defeating us with attacks but by dominating our defences so much that we admitted defeat. Sammie soon discarded her approach of not getting hit and did a flip aiming to kick with both legs in quick succession. One of which went flying and the other missed the mark. She was balancing on a single leg with a pained expression and shaking badly but that didn't stop her from launching more attacks. Victoria realised the Sammie wouldn't stop till she was dead and managed to create an opening, cut her neck badly before clapping to launch her against the wall finishing her. Emily was still thrusting violently, too much for Victoria to catch but not enough she couldn't dodge. Victoria clapped strongly but Emily did something and Victoria was the one to be sent flying. She swung in the air clapping a little to slow herself before facing Emily again.

It seemed Emily had gotten serious and was planning to use magic herself since her spell had overpowered the clap shock wave. Emily thrusted but her movements were off and she was actually just making space as she touched her shoes. They glowed red slightly then it faded. I had no idea what that meant but Emily was rushing around thrusting from all directions seeming to cover as much ground as possible. The very ground seem to be responding to her now leaving a slight fiery pattern in her wake. Victoria was forced on to the area with her dodging but she recalled it and jumped over it. I guess she had cast a spell to leave the ground burning or something. I had never seen Emily be this serious and I think from the faces of others no one else had either since they watched in awe as two different kinds of magic users clashed. Emily was launching fireballs, shock waves and other manner of spells while Victoria was being pushed back and struggling now to find areas to stand on without being burnt. Victoria brought her hands together as hard as she could while Emily used a just as powerful shock wave spell. The result was both of them slamming into opposite walls unable to stand. After fighting all of us Victoria had managed a tie and that was due to Emily's magic rather than our skill.

“Well that was certainly an interesting fight,” called Hector from the doorway, “When shock waves were sent rippling though the walls I had to check with the front desk to confirm there was no magic training on and here is what I found,” He seemed to be smug as if enjoying himself. Nelson had handed us all some food and water and as we recovered all we could do was watch Hector.

“Such advanced tactics from a group of nobodies,” Hector added, “are you planning to join us after all?” he asked.

“We have no plans for factional warfare at the moment,” replied Nelson, his voice stern, “even if we wanted to two of our members are still on their mentor quests and I wouldn't leave them behind.”

“Pity, this group shows potential even if only two members,” Hector replied, he glanced at Victoria and Emily, “still to see Victoria in with such a group of nobodies with her reputation as one of the first players of this game, it seems she has found a set of toys,”

Sammie glared at Hector who seemed to shake off the look as if it was nothing.

“Still,” he said and faced Victoria, “for someone who has been here so long to never join a faction officially and never even enter the Spire I guess I underestimated you. I better keep my eyes open or else I might miss something,”

With that he left. Sammie was furious and wanted to attack him but Nelson stopped her.

“We are guests here, no matter what we shouldn't cause trouble,” he stated, “Still, I can't help but feel like we might have to watch ourselves around him, his attitude is one who will stop at nothing to achieve his goals.”

After such a confrontation we decided to call the practice to an end and headed back to the inn. Emily seemed tired from the fight, I wasn't sure if it was a side effect of the magic or that she had simply pushed herself harder than she normally did.

“After such a trying fight I think we would be best to call it a day here,” Nelson said as we were ordering lunch. There were a lot of faces stuck in thought.

“Victoria, is it true you have never joined a faction?” Sarah asked.

“It is, I have always been a wanderer,” Victoria replied.

“Why the interest in our group?” Sarah enquired.

“It seems like it could be interesting, most groups you can gauge how they will manage over time but yours I can't tell. It has such a range of members with different goals and ambition and yet it works well. I guess I want to see first hand how it does.” Victoria explained.

“So what, we are a science experiment to you?” Matt commented with a sour tongue.

“You are the group I am placing my bets on for having potential,” Victoria commented and that caused silence from everyone.

0