Chapter 15
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was decided that we would have lunch and we ate in silence. After we finished Nelson finally spoke of his plans.

“We will end it here for the day however tomorrow I have a plan that I need to work out some details for. We will meet here at sun up so please be rested for it and no late nights,” he looked towards Sammie and Lance as he spoke clearly not trusting Sammie to rest early or Lance to be a morning person. With that he paid for everything and left.

“He has been taking a lot more command of our group recently,” Matt commented. I couldn't tell if he approved or not.

“It is natural, the dynamics have changed. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow we are worked very hard, he seemed to be a lot more focused on advancing the group but we have grown hugely over the last month.” Sarah replied.

“Do you think he will decide on a name for the group then?” Matt asked.

“I do not know, currently we haven't needed a name to be identified by but with our size it could be an idea,” Sarah spoke taking a sip from her drink. I noticed Storm leaving the basement stretching as the talk faded. Emily made a gesture to him.

“Something you wish to discuss?” he asked Emily as he walked over.

“About my room purchase, is now a good time?” she asked.

“Sure I have a bit of time before the lunch time rush starts,” he commented.

“The agreed upon amount was five hundred thousand correct?” she confirmed and he simply nodded. “I will be right back with it,” She quickly rushed upstairs before bringing a large rucksack almost overflowing with coins down placing it on the table before him. He quickly opened up a menu checking the amount and nodded.

“I will update it in a moment, first there is the other matter in the contract we made,” he commented.

“That question's answer,” she spoke almost as a whisper. He nodded once again. “I guess it is due to the fact I don't need it, I am fine with having multiple usable areas instead and since I am with Nelson and such at the moment it is only logically I have a room here.” Seemingly satisfied he made a few adjustments to a large menu which I guess was to do with inn control and a small menu appeared before Emily that she dismissed. He grabbed the bag and took it downstairs before returning with the empty rucksack he handed back to Emily.

“Our businesses is concluded anyway, I hope you enjoy finally calling the room your own,” he said offering a handshake which Emily accepted before going behind the bar getting ready to help out.

“I guess this call for a celebration. Finally getting full ownership of the room you have been renting,” called Sarah.

“Not really,” replied Emily, “the terms had the question I would answer on payment. It was basically why I didn't invest in land for a house and instead had rooms scattered around that I owned. This one was simply due to my connection with Nelson, I already have other rooms in different locations for different purposes,”

“Here we are working towards getting our own rooms and yet you have several? Not just that you didn't even need this one but decided to buy it out anyway?” challenged Matt. All idea of celebrating the gain of ownership of the room gone.

“I have been with this group for awhile, it is only fitting I have a room owned at the base of it. It isn't like I went behind your back, you just never asked.” was her reply. I think Matt wanted to challenge that but he didn't and he simply left it lightly slamming his fist into the table, controlling himself but still annoyed. Emily decided that she was done and excused herself to go upstairs to sort out her room. I considered following I wanted to ask about it but I could tell she wanted her space and just let her go alone.

“Sarah, how would I go about getting the room here to be my own?” I asked her.

“You would have to talk to the owner, Flamingstorm. Only he can manage ownership of rooms. Generally speaking he sells them for seven hundred and fifty thousand but offers long term deals and other such arrangements. However as you can see the staff are preparing tables for lunch time so it would be best to ask at a later time when it isn't so busy. If you are going to ask make sure you inform me, it is likely you will need help since he can sometimes forget that new players are not always fully versed in the more minor details like standardised measurements.” she explained.

“Have this,” said Victoria sliding a small book towards me, “It is a novice explanation guide,”

I picked it up seeing the words “Guide Book” on a pale red background followed by seemingly three scratch marks.

“I didn't know any of those were still around,” commented Sarah.

“I helped to produce them and can easily find a copy.” Victoria explained before turning to me. “Just read a chapter or two before you go to sleep and it will explain many details about this world.”

“What do these scratches mean?” I asked.

“They are partly to do with edition and such but I won't bore you with the details,” she replied.

“Can I get one of those?” Lance enquired.

“That was my last one,” she commented. I am almost certain that was a lie, she had just said she could easily get copies and already refused. I think Victoria saw me working it out and give a slight nod that even when being focused on her I almost missed. I guess she was trying to speed up my progress but limit Lance's. I made sure to thank her before sliding the book into my trouser pocket.

“Guide books, around since the start, minimal records, just who the hell are you?” Matt almost demanded. Victoria considered for a moment on how to respond.

“If you want to know I will give you a few options,” she began, “the first way is to go to an information broker. It will likely cost you a fortune due to the nature of player information for detailed reports and likely not give you what you seek. The second would be to some how trick me to revealing it maybe through making bets and such. Finally the most likely way to get your answers is to just wait and see. I mean we are together in this group now and with time bonds could form like the ones you have with other members and it will in time come out in a mutual friendship.”

“Sammie you are good at these things, how much would an information broker cost?” Matt asked shifting his attention.

“Well a standard detailed report might cost around seventy-five thousand but with a longer time player the details are much harder to get from the early stages and could easily reach over quarter of a million under extreme cases such as if they are one of the first players.” she considered trying to weight the figures up.

“Ok, what kind of bet would you do?” Matt requested shifting his focusing on Victoria again. I was starting to have to hold in a laugh at how much he was obsessed with this.

“Well with those prices a bet would have to be equal amounts against each other so first you would have to prove you have that much. Then you would have to have a method where you have at least a good chance of winning with which is quite likely a game of chance over a skill best contest considering the training exercise we did earlier. Overall I don't think you could manage it,” Victoria reported very matter of fact. Matt just huffed and gave up while my laugh finally came out with Sarah revealing a smile she had been hiding. I couldn't help but to respect Victoria, she was completely open about the best methods and completely controlled the conversation to get the outcome that was natural and her desire.

“Anyway enough of this, I am bored so I will see you all later,” Sammie commented before getting up and leaving, from her stance I guessed she was going to pick a fight and silently wished her luck which she likely wouldn't need.

After a while of silence people started flooding in as the lunchtime rush started. Lance seemingly uncomfortable with the crowd asked Matt to show him around the area which was likely an excuse to leave but he agreed and they left. It was just Sarah and Victoria with me at the table. The noise was starting to pick up as the once bartenders came waiters and conversation started among the tables.

“Shall we leave?” Victoria said as a casual comment.

“Any suggestions on where to?” was the response from Sarah.

“I will just tag along with you two if that is ok,” she replied and with that we decided to get up and walk the streets. At first we had no real destination in mind, I considered if we should catch up with Matt and Lance but I think Matt wanted some space and decided again mentioning it. When it was clear we had no real goal in mind and were almost circling the area Sarah stopped.

“How about we go to the bloodbath and see about some more training for you, Jessica,” Sarah suggested. Since there were no objections except maybe a silence one from my ego we headed that way. I was hoping to see Sammie however if she was here it wasn't in this part. I attracted challengers the same way I had before with some interest.

My first fight seemed to be an almost drunk man. While he stumbled around wildly swinging a large axe his strength meant it was hard to get the better of him. It was only when he swayed and lost balance that I could press my blade to his neck and claim victory however it felt kind of shallow.

“I didn't think people could get drunk in this game,” I commented.

“Alcohol is expensive more than anything so while most people don't drink it doesn't mean they can't,” Sarah replied as I readied myself for the next fight. It took a few moments but next ones someone seemingly in their late teens with spiky hair. His combat skill was lacking experience due to his exotic blades that had a hilt at right angles to the blade but with so many unexpected moves I was forced to admit defeat. I didn't really have anything to explain my thoughts on it so I just went towards the next fight.

It was an extremely muscular man fighting unarmed. His attacks when landing were extremely powerful often knocking me off my feet backwards but the fact I was knocked so far away let me easily recover before he was ready to attack again. If I had to guess I would say he was trying to copy a certain insane unarmed fighter but specialised in strength rather than speed and so his style didn't fit. In the end it ended in a tie mostly due to the inexperience he had but he was still without a doubt strong.

It went on like that for awhile, it seemed that around this time there were more strange fighters as the more structured ones had likely gone to eat or were resting. I was actually winning more fights due to it but I disliked the hollow victories. I knew I wasn't earning a lot of my wins but generally fighting people with strange methods they weren't adapt at. If I was to say my win percent it was likely around eighty today. As the area started to get crowded again my ego was up for a battering. The truly strong were coming out and crushing me. About an hour after my losing streak I saw a face of someone I hadn't expected to see in this area. The one who had so brutally defeated Sammie in my first few days. I started to make my way towards him when I was challenged again. I almost refused but in the end gave in and accepted. He was a man almost the same size as me with an axe he wielded with both hands. At first he was examining me as I attacked with almost perfect blocking until he released a hand and let the other slide to the end of the handle, with a spin he brought it full force into my side and I had an odd experience of flying before I hit the ground dead with my legs separated from my body. After waiting the five minutes I revived. It seemed my legs disappeared then reappear on my body as I did. With that I handed him the wager.

“Sorry about that, I put a bit too much umph into that last attack,” he apologise helping me back up, “Seen Sammie around? I can't seem to find her and you are from her group to my knowledge,”

“Sorry I guess she is in another area,” I responded and he sighed before bidding farewell to go search for her.

“Jessica, when you attack do you think about you moves?” Victoria suddenly asked.

“Of course,” I replied.

“I think that is your weakness. When you are thinking about your moves, you are slow, it has to be instinct,” she explained, “Your biggest opponent is yourself, each swing will become more and more natural till you are able to fight on instinct and then you will be at the stage you are ready to fight as equals to the people here,”

I took that in nodding in silence. It made sense, when doing something loads we would do it without thinking. Just like catching a ball by reflex which with thought would have been impossible to think about catching first.

“Miss,”Victoria called out to someone nearby, “Would you be willing to spar with my friend for a small wager of five gold?”

“Sure,” she replied and so it was decided that my next fight was with a small woman wielding a spear. It seemed too big for her and I struggled to contained my laughter.

I regretted that. Her opening move was so fierce that I was almost skewed multiple times. She followed up by shifting to a one handed stance pulling out a long sword with the other hand from her back that I hadn't seen. It was a fight she completely dominated and I wondered how she managed to use a spear so well with a single hand often using the centre to spin in her hand as not just a solid defence but a form of attack. In the end it was no surprise I lost but when she offered me a hand helping me up I froze.

“Your from the Gatherer's Guild,” I murmured. She froze at that as if not wanting to be recognised.

“A sharp eye Jessica. She is Misu and was oddly considered someone without any real combat experience,” Victoria explained.

“Please, keep this a secret, I only got my position in organisation due to my lack of combat skills,” Misu explained with a panicked expression, “however I can't help but be drawn to combat due to past experiences,”

“I am impressed, I still don't recognise her,” added Sarah.

“She was the one who registered us for my first feast and also explained how the food was to be prepared from the recent work we did,” I replied.

“Also she is considered to be one of the leaders in the guild and actually was being held back from a higher position due to the lack of combat experience and could easily work her way up if she was open with Victor.” Victoria explained. Misu looked down almost guilty like. I don't know what was going through her head but I wanted to help her. With a brief nod from both Victoria and Sarah and closed the gap.

“Would you like us to come with you and explain to Victor?” I offered. She took a moment to think.

“Do you think he will hate me for hiding this?” she asked but before I could respond Victoria did.

“No, he isn't that kind of person. He might feel a little upset that you couldn't be honest but I think he would be very accepting,” she said, “Lead on anyway,” Victoria handed the reins to Misu who after a few moments hesitation led us nearer to the spire to the Gatherer's Guild's base. I noticed the banner picture was above the door and placed a hand on Misu's shoulder reassuring her before she took a deep breath and entered.

It didn't take long to find Victor who was setting at a desk a bit behind a welcome deck.

“Well this is a surprise, did you run into each other while trying to develop your combat skills Misu?” he asked offering us seats but Misu remained standing as if to give herself more courage or to be able to flee.

“I actually came to talk about that,” she explained nervously.

“As I said you don't need to push yourself I don't want to force people into roles they do not want or are unsuited for. Escorts can always be provided.” he softly reassured her.

“Is there a place I could show you by duelling?”

“One of our warehouse rooms on this floor is free we can use that. I believe Zenith just got back and needs a job if you want him as a partner?”

“Actually I was hoping this woman would be willing to spar with me again,” I nodded to show support.

“I see no problem in that after all she is still developing her style as well and would make a fine partner if she is willing”

I think all the trust he was placing in her was actually making it harder. She was almost shaking as she exchanged words but with a nod she followed, the rest of us not far behind. The room we were led to was huge, I imagined this could contain almost all the supplies that we had gathered on the last trip. In fact if this was just one of their warehouse rooms this building most be almost completely storage.

“Whenever you are ready,” Victor instructed standing away to give us space. We exchanged a glare and prepared herself. Her opening was pin point accuracy the same as last time and still I only just managed to avoid it. When her sword came out as it did before it was a complete domination without me being able to do anything.

“Amazing,” called Victor as it ended clapping for us both, “you have really come so far in such a short time, how did you manage it?”

“I actually came to show you something I hid, I never wanted to be a fighter in the guild but honestly these skills have mostly been there from the start,” Misu explained crying a little. Victor shook his head a little disapproving.

“I understand and simply wish you explained yourself,” he started to explain, “I have seen your work, as an organiser you are without a doubt one of the best we have. I am only saddened you didn't feel like you could explain yourself. Am I that unapproachable?” Misu shook her head.

“I just didn't want to be put onto the guard duty like all the other fighters in the guild,”

“When someone joins it is true a lot of fighters will be escorts, guards or put into the sister guilds but that is only because they wish to be. You might not notice it but a lot of people in administration roles were actually given the choice to be fighters but wanted to do something different. I want to have a group that anyone could advance with any path they choose. I don't wish to limit anyone, you must remember my motto, correct?”

“Make happy memories?”

“Yes, whatever you wish to do is fine it is just important to be open so I can assign resources in the most fitting manner,” He offered Misu a hug and she accepted soon her tears were not of sadness or fear but happiness to be accepted.

“I must say I owe you three a sizeable thank you,” Victor said addressing us with a bow, “if there is anything within my power I can do for you just name it,”

“Honestly? This wasn't anything to do with me,” Sarah explained dismissing any reward.

“True it was Jessica who was the one who was the key part in this,” Victoria agreed.

“I knew she had promise but still it is always beautiful to see it shine forth. Come ask for whatever you wish,” Victor added with a smile. Honestly I hadn't done this for a reward I just wanted her to be able to be honest with herself. If anything I would consider Victoria to be the key part in this but since she had dismissed it to me it would be rude to try passing it back like an unwanted gift so I took a moment to think when the man I saw earlier flashed into my head.

“There is someone I want to duel,” I started thinking back, “He was someone who beat Sammie and likely cause my first argument with her,” I gave a brief description of him and Victor nodded.

“I believe I can help with that. From my knowledge he goes by a different name almost every week so it is hard to track him down but if you want to duel him I am sure I can arrange it shortly. After all his attitude is mostly about wealth and status so with a little prize offered I am sure I could get him here to fight you. Misu could you get Zenith to come here, he is well versed in the bloodbath.”

With that Misu ran off and returned shortly with him.

“Need something boss?” Zenith called out on entering.

“I need you to fetch someone for me from the bloodbath, offer him one thousand gold if he can beat someone in a duel here. That should be more than enough to tempt him,” Victor plotted.

“That a fair bit for a single duel might I ask why?”

“Just returning a favour for setting up a duel,” Victor motioned to me before giving him a general description. After Zenith left he instructed Misu to get one of the duelling banners from the main storage room.

“Why are the banners needed?” I asked

“When people fight there are two ways to go about it. One way is to use the menus to challenge to a duel. The other way is one of these special banners that are enchanted to give effects. By having such a banner we can have control over allowing duels without having to use the menu and override the rules set on the building that prevent combat. It also means that any banditry attempts are impossible. When dealing with this kind of person I think this is the safest option.” Victor explained as waited for Misu before placing the banner. It wasn't long before Zenith arrived with the man covered in spiked armour with his giant mace.

“An unexpected call Victor, I trust you have my gold ready for my win. Who am I fighting?” he called out.

“Naturally it is ready. Your challenger is her,” He commented gesturing to me.

“You...” he started anger starting to raise in his voice, “You are with that piece of trash that got me almost exiled from the bloodbath, after all that YOU DARE CHALLENGE ME?!?”

“Enough of that, either accept the challenge or walk away I am sure you know the terms from my friend here,”

“Fine just so you know I won't go easy on this newbie filth,”

I took up a stance ready to fight and noticed how he lugged the giant mace onto his shoulder extremely confident.

“Begin!” yelled Victor. It was almost instantly followed by the mace slamming down. If I had acted a moment later I would have been crushed but my jump to the side had allowed me to dodge even if I was on the ground now. It was followed by another and I rolled to the side managed to rise to my feet as he readied himself again. The floorboards were completely destroyed beyond all repair and I was already certain that a single hit would defeat me but I remained calm. It was mostly him swinging and me having to dodge while rarely getting a counter attack with no effect with such thick armour. However the deciding blow landed when my foot got caught in one of the destroyed floorboards and I couldn't dodge. The revive time was cut short due to the banner it seemed and I got up.

“That one thousand gold to me,” he boomed. Victor tossed him a pouch.

“Jessica would you like another fight with him? I can fund it if you like.” Victor offered.

“Yes but I want to do it differently.” I explained, “Fight me, in a no pain blockers,”

“You are as insane as that trash from before,” the man yelled mocking.

“Will you accept it?” I responded.

“Ten thousand for my win and not a gold less,” he demanded.

“Agreeable if Jessica is truly after this,” Victor explained.

“Sarah would you show me how to issue the challenge,” I asked. As she walked towards me I could see her conflicted face.

“Are you sure about this,” she whispered, “You were completely defeated and this will be just like what you had with Sammie,”

I simply gave a nod I had seen his patterns and felt like this would work. Reluctantly she showed me how to navigate the menus and I sent the challenge. Judging from his slowness I could tell he had never accepted such a thing and his pride wouldn't let him refuse at this stage. After a delay he slowly pressed to accept, his fear was good. It worked to my advantage and the plan I had already formed. Even though he was shaking a little he slammed down the mace but his speed was lower than it had been before and I dodged almost effortlessly. He swung again with similar results. After a few more swings he was back to his old attack speed but I had gained the experience of his patterns seeing it slowed to be able to dodge without much effort. He grinned however when he saw my foot land in the floorboard just like before and swung with all his might to crush me. I hadn't been caught but it did slow my movement and he completely crushed my left arm ripping it off. The pain was beyond what I had felt with Sammie but I had planned this however I didn't plan to actual get hit, I grit my teeth together enough for it to hurt and prepared for my counter attack. I placed my foot on his mace with enough force to prevent him easily lifting it and in that opening trust in the thin opening between his chest plate and helmet. He froze with that. I pulled away only for the armour to fall lifelessly towards the floor. I felt dizzy from the pain from my served left arm and fell to my knees watching the armour. I was shaking uncontrollably but without a doubt I had won. Sarah had already rushed over to me hugging me, most likely unable to imagine what had crossed my mind.

“When I saw your foot get caught in the floorboards I was so scared for you,” she called out a few tears falling.

“That untrue,” Victoria interrupted. “It was faked wasn't it Jessica? You were never caught in the floor you only faked to be so he dropped his guard,” I nodded and with that the armour rose shaking beyond anything I thought possible.

“YOU WORM!” the man shouted, his voice was heavily uneven but full of anger. He grabbed me by the neck applying pressure. Before I could react Victor raised his hand showing a selection of large gems and a wall of fire blasted him away from me into the back wall.

“You were defeated sir, as per the rules you accepted you have no right to complain now leave this place you should be happy you managed to grow as a person and even earn a fair wage from the first fight.” Victor commanded with no hesitation.

The man simply got up and walked before me almost attack me but he fell to his knees, the effect I knew full well. I had experienced it when I had fought Sammie. My wound final started to stop hurting and my neck which had throbbed with pain when pressure applied also stopped. It seemed that after a duel it took times for the pain blocking settings to be restored so he had felt the full force of that fire blast.

“Don't ever mock my friends again,” I commanded in what was likely a stern voice. He looked up from his knees at my eyes, it wasn't a look I was expecting but one of pure terror. With that he bolted for the door as fast as he could leaving.

That face was so unexpected I didn't know what to think. Clapping started. It was Victor.

“Well said Jessica, well said,” he started, “When you first asked for this I didn't know what you were planning and while I am not sure you fully planned out such a performance even with your words I am glad to see you finished your mission.”

“Am I a monster for going that far?” I asked, my voice strained with regret.

“Do you believe that?” Victor replied, “If we are monsters for doing whatever necessary to protect and even avenge our friends then maybe you are. However when I saw you I didn't see a monster but a concerned friend wanting to explain something that could only be explained this way. While I must admit even I was partly scared over such an outcome I believe that you have likely punished a man who was without a doubt deserving of such a fitting shame,”

I felt tears flow down my cheek.

“What have I done...” I started to cry, “I never wanted to cause pain to anyone. I was so lost in my emotions that I have done such unspeakable actions to harm someone.” I was losing control of myself. I had truly become a dark creature. I never believed in things like capital punishment. A murderer shouldn't be murdered but shown the errors of his way. I believe from the bottom of my heart that the best punishment is redemption. For someone to know guilt and live with it but I had done such evil against a man that I hardly knew.

“I apologise,” Misu said and I gave a questioning look before being slapped hard enough my head was facing to the other side, “You did no worse that I did by letting your emotions control you. The outcome might be different but you were doing it for a good cause. If you ever consider it a mistake to fight for your friends this slap will be repeated till you understand that it is a worthy goal.”

“Not the best way to go about it but I must agree,” Victor explained. “When I used such a magic force to separate you I did it to support the warrior's resolve I had seen. I know full well he would feel it but I honestly think he needed to be put in his place ever since he became a bandit shortly after his first feast. Maybe our methods are too extreme but you can't reason with a beast. Hold your head up high that you managed to overcome this challenge and use it as a learning cover. Emotions are a powerful thing and need to be controlled. You have see the chaos they can cause but that doesn't mean you should surrender to them. There are times when we must do evil to get results.”

“No, I won't do this kind of thing again, I swear I will live by my morals instead of my darker emotions.” I called out. Gripping my hand into a fist only now realising it was back on my body. Victor responded with a smile.

“Then that is your answer,” Victor commented with a smile.

0