Chapter 17
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at the inn again with almost a feast between us. Talk was light and moods soaring. It was hard to believe so much had happened in the space of two days and I was light headed thinking about it all.

“Today was designed as a hard day with an early start and questionably late finish so I will announce now that tomorrow will be a day of relaxation. I will be reporting to the information brokers and would ideally like to see you here at around midday.” Nelson announced.

“So it isn't a day off?” Sammie asked confused.

“It is but a conference interruption is important and well rewarded information,”

“So more rewards tomorrow?” Matt added.

“Correct, so eat and be merry for you have all earnt such a reward,” Nelson said raising a glass before downing it.

“While I thank you for the food I am going to turn in,” Victoria said as she got up and walked towards the stairs. Judging from the footsteps she was well out of earshot when Sammie decided to speak.

“Yesterday I went to an information broker to see what information was for sale about her,” she began.

“What did you find?” Matt asked interested in the gossip.

“That's the thing, while it is know she has been around since the start, there isn't anything for almost the first one hundred years, I declined the other information faking like I wasn't interested in the more modern stuff,” Sammie explained.

“How is it possible to have basically no information for such a large span of time,” Matt enquired.

“How indeed,” was Sammie's reply.

“Maybe she was absent from the game during that time?” Sarah commented sipping her drink.

“I thought of that but from early records of game time and such she was without a doubt their,” Sammie replied showing a few piece of paper that went completely over my head. She jammed a finger onto it pointing at a very large number.

“These records might not be around any more but from this information she left for at most a few days in the whole of the time the game was active,” Sammie explained, “if anything we are dealing with something big,” Nelson picked up the paper and handed them back to Sammie.

“While I am not against finding out information of others I would rather you go directly to the source than an information broker,” Nelson firmly stated, “We are to be friends in the group or at least respectful. If you are unable to get your answers, respect the person's wishes for privacy and leave it be,”

“Either way I am going to bed, good night everyone,” I said before quietly walking up the stairs. Before I reached the corner I did everything I could to be quiet before reaching out a hand to grab who I guessed was their.

Victoria had completely expected me to follow and motioned to come into the second door on the right.

“Seems my skills are not as good as they use to be when a novice can catch me sneaking,” Victoria commented taking a seat and gesturing for me to take the one opposite.

“I think you had everyone else fooled but my sister would often catch me sneaking out of bed only to give me tips then catch me again explaining everything I did wrong,” I replied.

“Experienced at stealth then,”

“A bit, your footsteps were too loud, normally you are almost silent so you wanted to be heard leaving earshot correct?”

“Indeed,”

“To listen in?”

“Correct,”

“And your verdict?”

“They are correct,”

“Can I ask you why there is no information?”

“You can only if you allow me not to answer,”

“I guess is fair but consider yourself asked,” I added with a slight grin.

“I have to admit you are one of the few people I don't understand,”

“Me? I am just a nobody here what is so hard to understand?” I asked slightly concerned.

“There is something within you, maybe a spark, maybe something else but your actions are not always what I would expect,”

“Something darker maybe?” I worry thinking about to my actions yesterday.

“Not quite but you didn't come here to be quizzed yourself did you?”

“Even now you are manipulating and controlling the conversation,” I noticed.

“If you want to learn then control is important,” Her almost lifeless tone was getting to me, what was she hiding. Why did I have such a desire to know? “Did you know that this game took almost fifty years to develop and test?”

Fifty?” I didn't know about normal development but that sounded huge for any program.

“It was around forty years of creation and then ten years of testing. It even has expansions programmed in the event it was cleared.”

“This doesn't seem like common knowledge, where have you got it from,”

“That is something you will have to figure out yourself but I think that is all for now I trust you will keep this talk private,” Victoria finished before dismissing me. I left the room deep in thought. I wanted to say I didn't trust her but I honestly believed she was telling the truth. Her manipulation and control methods screamed to not trust her but I couldn't help it. She had singled me out and given me this knowledge when both Matt and Sammie were the ones actively seeking it. She was the one generally probing me while presenting some information in exchange. I think it was because she put trust in me and told me no lies. Maybe hiding the truth but never seeming to contradict it. I decided to simply go to my room.

I sat down on the bed thinking when I felt something dig into me. The guide book, I had completely forgotten about it. I opened the first page to see writing I had no idea what it meant. I flicked over the page and saw a content page in standard English and turned back. This must be another one of those codes for keeping track of something. Something like the scratches to show different editions. I stared at it till my head hurt. Whatever secrets it held it was well beyond me. I relaxed on the bed and instead started to skim through the book but I wasn't taken it in. Maybe tomorrow would be a better day to start reading it so with that I got changed and went to bed.

Morning, bath, dressed and out the door, my standard routine. No one downstairs to greet me so I just get some food and think about how to spend my day off. As I chew I consider if to use the training area and try getting stronger. I am also tempted to duel at the bloodbath but oddly Misu's face crosses my mind with that. I wonder how she is getting on. I then consider why my sister's face didn't come to mind, maybe I need to spend more time with her. I wonder how things are going between her and Jasper. So much I could do but still not what I should do.

“You know every time I see you here alone you have a lost look,” called Storm as he left the basement.

“I guess due to the nature of being alone here,” I replied and saw him smile.

“Growing sharper it seems. Need someone to talk to?” he offered having a drink behind the counter.

“Just deciding on what to do, first too little now too much,”

“No middle ground for you, what are the options?”

“Visit some people or different methods of training,”

“If it was me I would get the visits done first they tend to be quicker then you just decide based on how you feel,”

“That is true...” I considered.

“Glad I could help, if you need anything you know where to find me,” he said before going back downstairs.

Sometimes I just don't know how my problems are even problems when I talk them through even briefly. I guess at this time visiting the Gatherer's Guild would be the most likely to get results. So when I am done eating I set off.

Shame I don't remember where it is and quickly I am lost. I try to work my way towards the spire but since it is not on the most inner ring I have no idea which way it is. I guess I should visit Gerald's place and so I trace around the ring till I find it and set forth.

Compared to last time it is the same at the entrance level but after that a lot of the desks have shifted and information banners have moved around or changed.

“Can I help you?” a doorman asks.

“I am looking for a map I guess,” I say hoping I haven't missed something incredibly basic.

“Of course this way please,” he says making a gesture to follow while someone else nearby fills the spot of doorman and greeter. He weaved between desks as if second nature till I am under a section called maps that was completely out of view from the door.

“Maps and geographic information, what kind of information do you seek?” someone at the desk asks.

“Do you have maps of the hub?” I ask a little nervously.

“What date one do you seek?” he says grabbing a large stack of papers.

“Modern,” I mention and he looks up.

“New player?” he asks casually as he pulls one out.

“Yes,”

“Not many other reasons why you would need a modern one, anyway that will be twenty gold,” he says sliding it to me. Quickly counting out the gold I place it on the table and pick up the map. At first it had seen to be just a single small sheet till I found how compact it was and started to unfold it before stopping noticing I wouldn't manage to get it folded again in here. Now for the trying to navigate. Chaos was the only word to describe this place. After a few minutes of searching I tried and found myself in a slightly more enclosed room.

“You are not welcome here,” someone almost yelled at me, “GET OUT!”

“No she is fine,” a second voice said it seeming to be Nelson and when I looked up he held a hand out, “Please continue as normal” he said directed to the first person.

“As you wish,” he said with a bow not apologising but not being actively hostile to me. I guess information brokers only had secrets so if anyone could get them freely it wouldn't be a good business.

“As I was saying this information is suitable for a decent cash payment however if you want us to scout there for you personally there we be a small fee and if you wish you could then sell it to us,” he stated.

“I came with the intent to sell, what kind of figures would we be looking at,” Nelson replied without showing me much attention.

“Generally since you are a fairly trusted source and interactions are positive maybe one or two thousand,” he said fiddling with something on the table.

“Hmm,” considered Nelson deep in thought, “One thousand eight hundred would be ideal.”

“Agreed,” he commented making a few notes and offering a hand which Nelson shook, “Any preferred denominations?”

“Tens,” Nelson replied with a moment of hesitation. It didn't take long for it to be arranged and present it to Nelson who did a quick check with a menu before another hand shake and he started to leave motioning at me to follow.

“Sorry about how he acted,” Nelson commented as he led me to an open area near the door, “did you get what you needed while here?” I held up the map and he gave a nod before a doorman opened the entrance and bid us a farewell. He took a seat near the spire and looked at it.

“So what were you after or is it something you don't wish to share?” he asked.

“Just a map, I got lost earlier,” I honestly stated.

“Useful things to have however I imagine you wanted something slightly smaller.” he commented seeing how large it was.

“I was looking for the Gatherer's Guild since I met with someone from it a few days ago and wanted to see how they were doing,”

“Simple enough I can lead you there if you want?”

“Thank you,” I responded as he got up and led on down a few narrow paths likely taking the most direct route. I soon recognise the banner and slightly rushed to it.

“I guess since I am here I might as well see if Victor has any more plans for contract work” he added entering with me.

“Long time no see,” called a voice.

“Zenith, it seems it is a small world,” Nelson responded, “Is Victor here?”

“Sure think he is just organising one of the warehouses would you like me to get him or just show you where?”

“Lead on we can follow,” Nelson added warmly.

“Bit of a leadership shift recently,” Zenith started as he walked down a long corridor, “Seems to be a bit of restructuring in the upper management brought about by this newbie,”

“She is starting to make waves it seems,” Nelson agreed.

“I can't imagine what she will do next but honestly I look forward to finding out,” he reply before knocking on a door.

“Enter,” Victor called out. Zenith led us in, “Zenith, Nelson and Jessica, what an unexpected surprise please come in.” He instructed placing his clipboard down, “Take a break everyone,” He called out and with a few groans large crates were placed down and they mostly past us on the way out.

“What do I owe the pleasure?” He asked.

“Is that an actual pencil?” I asked noticing it when I had only seen quills so far.

“Ever the innocent questions,” he chuckled, “indeed they are pretty expensive compared to just a quill and ink but honestly I could never get use to writing that way so I fork out a bit of extra funds to provide pencil options for anyone who wishes to work with one. Surely you didn't come here to ask about my preference in writing instruments?”

“Jessica had a reason for wanting to visit, I kind of forgot to ask so thought I would tag along and find out if any planned contracts,” Nelson commented.

“I see, maybe to visit Misu was it?” he figured out. I gave a nod, “be my guest she should be in her office, would you like to join us Zenith?”

“Sure I am not busy at the moment,” he replied and with that we were off again down the long corridors and back to the first room. After navigating around a few crates and desks we reached a door. With a light knock Victor opened it and stepped in with us following.

“Poor Misu,” he said going to her and almost like a parent watching her sleep head first on the desk, quill still in hand,” He gave her a gently shake, “Sorry to disturb you Misu but you have a visitor,”

“Mmmm?” she managed still half asleep raising her head with a piece of paper hanging off. She quickly snapped awake seeing us and grabbed at the paper stuck to her trying to tidy herself up.

“Missed a spot,” Zenith taunted a little pointing near his own lip where she had a bit of drool on hers. After a final wipe she stood up.

“Sorry for sleeping sir,” she said bowing slightly.

“I have said time and time again you don't need to work so hard. How many times must you fall asleep at your desk to learn that it is fine to take a break,” Victor said gently shaking his head but I think he admired her work ethics.

“Maybe have somewhere to sleep in your office?” I suggested absent mindedly.

“That is an idea, Zenith get a set of blankets from warehouse three. Also there should be some hammock worthy material in warehouse five.” Victor instructed much the protest of Misu who was trying to say she could manage. It didn't take long for Zenith to come back with a bundle and set it down nearby.

“Honestly I can manage,” Misu kept saying to Victor who was already setting up the hammock behind her desk in a slightly covered area.

“Consider it your night desk, just use a clipboard and work from there so when you fall asleep you are at least in a suitable position,” Victor explained pushing down on it to test it. Misu made a final face of protest but I don't think she minded that much. Her interactions were strange towards Victor at least in my eyes. Maybe they were family…

“Anyway let us leave these two to catch up,” ordered Victor holding the door open for Nelson and Zenith who left without a word. After a few moments I tried to find the words to start the conversation.

“How are you managing?” I asked.

“Business as usual,” she replied.

“Do you often fall asleep at your desk?”

“That depends who you ask, if you asked me I would deny it, if you asked Zenith he wouldn't really have much to comment on and if you asked Victor I imagine he would be able to give you almost certain times you could find me sleeping. It seems now however denial will be a bit harder with this set up,” I am not sure of her expression but it didn't seem the most positive.

“Do you not sleep enough at night?” She fidgeted a little at that, “You don't sleep at night?” I enquired.

“Well I am a busy person. I didn't get this high up by sleeping, on the job,” As she said that I really wanted to make a joke at her expensive consider how she had only shortly before been asleep.

“How have things changed since you were more open?” I asked instead.

“From a role point of view they haven't. From an interaction point of view I think Victor is a little hurt still that I felt I couldn't be open and from a leadership point of view it is completely restructuring so I am going with a grey area still,” This interaction was completely different from what I was use to. With Victoria I had to clarify the question which then she might answer however Misu would take the question and answer it fully. In the case it had multiple answers she could go into she explained all of them in turn. I would have to be careful not to ask anything too big or I would likely never get to say another word till she finished. I think we were both struggling to decide on what to say so in the end we decided to rejoin the others.

“So soon?” Victor enquired.

“I think we have some socially …,” Nelson started to say trying to find the right word, “inexperienced,” he finally managed, “people in our groups,”

“That does not surprise me judging from current events,” mentioned Victor in passing.

“So how was the kiss?” Zenith interrupted with a light stare from Victor and a harsh glare from Nelson. I was likely was blushing from ear to ear.

“There is no need to answer that but as you can see word travels fast,” Victor commented, “However already it is old news and I doubt many could place it to you without being directly told. Gossip is gossip after all. I doubt many believe it anyway,” From the slight flexing of his fingers and neck muscles I thought Nelson was going to hit Zenith. I think Zenith figured that out also and quickly apologised.

“However Zenith does raise a point,” started Misu, “My office Zenith, now,” I wasn't sure what he was in for but I caught a glimpse of a smile from her and guessed it wasn't going to be a punishment but rather an enquiry. I am not sure if Misu scared me or not but either way I felt like I couldn't let my guard down there either.

“Well not much I can do with gossip, just try and ignore it. It fades in time but exaggeration and twisted tales,” Victor explained before turning to Nelson, “anyway I will keep you posted and send a message if we have any work contracts needing a few extra hands but I wouldn't count on it for at least a week or two,” He dismissed himself that to get back to work and Nelson led me out.

0