Chapter 23
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Storm was at the door, welcoming the crowds, shaking the hands of those that led and still being pleasant to their armed escorts. His voice loud to announce them. He named everyone personally and affiliation Some were very fancy like, “High Lord Julius of the Order of the Obelisk,” compared to the more questionable ones like “Mark of the Whispering Grass,” to finally the ones I have no idea how he kept a straight face, “Deva of Cake, Pie and Adventure time” and “Merry of the Lords of the Hairy Feet.”

I couldn’t contain it and was laughing, some of the others seemed to be suppressing giggles but Sammie and Matt were overflowing with roaring laughs, no one seemed to care about the noise and it was slowly filling up the room a little and chatter was picking up. Staff were handing out drinks on silver trays, almost all in fine wine glasses or crystal.

While the murmurs of the room were making it harder to hear I finally heard something that made me look to the door, “Gerald of Doctor Gerald's Information Command, a pleasure as always,” I took a look at the door to see. His face was very unexpected after recalling his banner. He wore tinted glasses just held on by a nose piece, completely clean shaven like no hair had ever invaded such a face as there was no shadow making him seem young but the angles added a level of maturity. Short Black hair swept back like a river had tamed it without a single hair our of place. His outfit not quite a suit but like silver had been woven but wasn’t sparkling just a very fine cloth. He had a few other people with him in very fancy outfits also and two guards like those that had saved us in the past.

“That’s Gerald?” I asked the table.

“Indeed, not what you expected from his banner right?” Victoria chimed in.

“He looks like a rich teenager that has been forced by his parents to attend some fancy party and is expecting to pick up girls,”

“He would use the words eye catching and comfortable,”

“Don’t worry you are totally outside his catchment area,” Sammie giggled.

“What?”

“He is a gay demisexual but is more interested in his business,” Victoria said drily.

“Is that kind of thing common knowledge?”

“For famous people any gossip will spread but it is pretty accurate, the few times he has been seen outside his business he is often with Shao his partner who seems to not be here, maybe he will join later,”

“Oh, I se-”

“Victor of the Gatherer’s guild, so glad you can make it my old friend,” called out Storm with clear happiness and was giving him a friendly hug instead of a handshake.

“Hello old friend, thank you for the personal invite, this is Misu on what is our first date,” he replied leading Misu forward and I must say she looked stunning in that pale blue dress.

“Ah Misu, charmed as always, please come in,” I didn’t catch the rest of it but it was only a few more words before Storm was greeting the next guest. Victor looked around slightly and face lit up in our direction before he walked towards us Misu following her fingers wrapped around his likely refusing to let go.

“So good to see you my friends, Jessica I must personally thank you for everything you have done,” he beamed.

“What did I do?” I panicked.

“You helped cleared the last few secrets between us and helped reopen the channels of communication, mutual feelings burst forth as well, I must confess I have been holding myself back from such a beautiful woman for a long time,” he raise the hand that was holding Misu overhead and gave her a little spin and slipped in for a gentle kiss on her cheek, she let out a small giggle and seemed like a completely different person, “I always seem to be in your debt,” He released Misu hand for a moment and brought it to his chest in a sort of salute bow, “If you ever need my aid you have but to ask,”

“I err, umm” I started.

“She is greatly honoured, please enjoy your date,” Nelson stepped in. Victor bowed again and Misu gave a little curtsy before they left. I was left completely drawing blanks.

“That is a very rare gesture, more so from someone so important. Think of it like a declaration of support, maybe a life debt without so strong strings. He is stating he is willing to give you a lot of help. The first stage of a formal bond of loyalty.” Victoria explained.

“You know what, I am leaving,” Emily said getting up, “You attracted fame like moths to a flame, see you all after the event,” She walked past me before I could even say anything and grabbed a wine glass downing it instantly before putting it back on the tray getting lost in the crowd. I tried to get up to chase her but a firm hand from Nelson kept me in place.

“She just wants to be separate for the event, she will be back,” Nelson commented motioning for me to sit down again after I stopped struggling.

“How can you be so sure?” was all I managed. He seemed a bit conflicted before resolving himself.

“She is family, technically I am her great uncle but our lives were vastly different and it was more a reconnect with my family when I was older, there is closeness even if it doesn’t show,”

“Wow this is news I have got to sell,” Matt started to get up but a glare from Sammie halted him.

“DON’T. FUCK.WITH.FAMILY.BONDS.” Sammie stated with enough internal fury that the table was basically thrown into winter and Matt sat back down in silence.

I must confess those few minutes of silence were awful, her anger were a different level, I guess even she was caring about family. I don’t know how the silence was going to be broken till I heard another greeting at the door that grabbed my attention.

“Orion. How is the Moonlight Crusade doing? We must catch up a bit later,” Storm called out shaking his hand vigorously with both of his. I couldn’t catch the rest of the exchange but I put my hands on the table and lifted myself up.

“I have to go,” I simply stated and Nelson gave a small nod and left me to it. Unexpectedly Victoria got up also and as I walked towards the towering man in a suit covered in stars and still showing light armour I was surprised she followed. I didn’t really know what to do but when I reached him he just looked down at me making me feel like an ant. It seemed he was giving me the chance to speak but I was lost in his expression, one that looked stern until he shifted his head slightly.

“Victoria,” he said drily but his voice seemed to have hints of friendliness being suppressed, “Who is your friend, she seems to want to talk to me but is too scared,”

“Jessica, I am sure you know who she is,” she responded, her voice sounded off, like there was some history here.

“Ah young Jessica, a pleasure. Sorry if I scared you, I am very much a let others speak first kind of person,” his voice was much friendlier now and he offered a handshake, taking it I felt my hand get lost in his large firm grip, I gave a weak shake before being released. “I guess you are after your family?” I paused but gave a weak nod, “I imagine they might come here later but let me formally introduce myself. I am Orion the chief of staff of the Moonlight Crusade and known as The Moonlight Belt.”

“How did you get a nickname like that?” Was all I could manage.

“Orion’s belt, well that and I keep the soldiers pulled up and in tip top shape,” He waved a little warm smile but he was scanning the room and he stopped a few times before finally settling on Gerald who was leaning against a wall watching, “Anyway it was a pleasure meeting you but there is work to be done, alliance talks and all I am sure you can understand,” He offered a handshake again which I took a little stronger and said some words that kind of meant “later then” with a lot more nerves.

“Prepare for Gerald, he will approach in a moment, keep your secrets close because he is in the information business but is friendly enough,” Victoria warned and I kept my eyes on Gerald unable to see his eyes behind his tinted glasses. His smile unnerved me a little but after Orion was clear he stood up straight and walked over, movements without any waste but formal and strong enough to seem like a noble.

“Victoria always a pleasure and young Jessica, making some waves it seems. I am Gerald,” he bowed slightly, his movements were annoyingly refined like he had been flirting for information for decades.

“Gerald,” Victoria said giving a minor nod, polite but distant.

“Hello,” was all I could manage offering a handshake. He hesitated for a moment but gently shook it. If I had to describe it I would say it was short, like it was a wasted action and he was just being polite.

“Sorry I am not one for handshakes as much but I will indulge them,” he replied, he must be reading my face, “Yes your face is easy to read, it is why I can tell you are so young but I have had a lot of practice, only Victoria is one I have no confidence in reading. Speaking of which have you reconsidered my offer? You would be more than welcome,”

“Thank you but no, I don’t get involved,” Victoria replied.

“A shame but your involvement has seemed to shift,” his eyes have a quick glance at me before focusing on both of us again.

“Friendship is different to factions,” she shrugged off.

“Indeed but your recent actions betray you, still how about we take a seat, maybe I can get your both some wine?”

“I don’t drink,” was all I managed and I feel he made a mental note at that, Victoria was right, anything and everything was basically like a secret and he seemed to be recording it all.

“Still a short chat would be nice, I am a bit like your friend Victor, talking to everyone but you have already worked out my motivates are different and you would be right, he wants to be friends with everyone and have great connections, I want great connections but am more in love with my work, you are all like a puzzle to put together, take apart,”

“And profit from,” Victoria added drily.

“Coming from you who actively drains my coffers every so often that's a bit rich but yes it is still a business but I spend it you do not seem to any more,”

“Maybe in time,”

“So something is coming out soon-ish, interesting,”

I was completely lost so I went back a fair bit.

“You said I was making waves?”

“Indeed as an entrance yours has been moderate but interesting, I can see why Victoria finds you special but well you are still only making small waves compared to some,”

“What is making big waves then?”

“That would be like your sister and her boyfriend or others like them,”

“People who make or take over factions within weeks of starting,” Victoria added and Gerald seem to be squirming inside at information given freely but was outwardly as calm as ever.

“Indeed, the waves are based on who they move but word has already got out that Victor has taken quite a liking to you today to have such connections forming maybe you might be a bit bigger fish that previously thought,”

“Times up,” Victoria stated.

“Indeed,” he gave with a smile that was much warmer than anything I had seen from him and his attention was else where, slightly to the side focused on the entrance.

“Shao of Doctor Gerald's Information Command, please come in Gerald has already been making his rounds,” Storm called out. I looked around to see a very androgynous face, if I hadn’t known already I wouldn’t have been able to work out if he was a man or woman. The outfit he was wearing was similar style to Gerald and Gerald was already approaching him. I couldn’t make it out but they held each others hands with a very relaxed fashion and Gerald gave him a slight peck on the cheek before exchanging a few words and then oddly splitting up and going in separate directions. The happy gay feelings were very easy to see but the split seemed so unexpected.

“They are both information brokers, they are both fishing before things settle more and they spend some time together,” Victoria added, “maybe it is time to go back to the table.”

I had no other ideas and considered it.

“Lets go back to the table now,” Victoria enforced, quite out of character for her and I followed.

When we arrived at the table Nelson was talking to a member of staff and placed a pile of coins on the tray he was carrying and gestured to us all.

“Of course I will let them know, please enjoy the event,” the staff member commented as he walked off, it was so refined and yet I knew he normally spoke much more casually.

“You’re covered for the event, I decided with so many new people group funds will be used to make sure everyone can fully enjoy this,” Nelson stated, more informing those that just came back. Victoria gave a slightly wicked smile like she had planned to get us back here just in time.

“What about Emily?” was the first thing that came out even with the burning need to thank him.

“She likely has already covered herself but I will refund her it later so I didn’t include her,”

I took a moment to calm my mind and sat down.

“Thank you” finally managed it.

“Your welcome, if you want to sign up for one of the eating contests see the member of staff by the stage but there is no rush, the event is still in the meet and greet stages, not shifted to the more talks and enjoyment part. On another note I saw you talking to Gerald, everything ok there?”

I was a little lost but gave a nod.

“She handled it fine, Gerald was just fishing a little as always but more introduction and intimidation,” Victoria commented.

“You don’t get along with him do you?” I just had to know, there was something between them and it wasn’t good.

“I have knowledge he wants, I could easily earn him a very large amount of money but I wouldn’t count myself as someone who should join the factions,”

“Why?”

“I guess I feel the need for permission,”

“From who?”

“In time,” She gives a weak smile and I feel like it would be more to me. Why was I special to her and what was she hiding?

0