Magitechs and the Giant’s Apprentice pt. 1
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So this chapter is not a continuation, but another branch.  It comes out of the blue, and there remain parts that I feel could go either way.  Be that a prior segment or flashback material -

Spoiler

Regarding the situation he's left behind

[collapse]

It is also a fair bit larger than I think it should be.  A price paid for an undisrupted flow.

There was alway that tune.

“Ra!” From an outstretched arm, a force of light exploded over the field.

That melody, in the resonance between machines.

The beam diverted, and from behind a chunk white as marble, peered a single eye.

The space they shared, and the way their voices lent to the change of hands to come.

“Va!” Again, an intense wave baked the air and earth alike, colliding with the unyielding barrier.

Be it by premonition, or respect, the machines answered to no one person.

“Gin!” Like the toll of a bell coming into focus, The sky converged in a rippling glove.  Black hair and electric blue eyes hardened behind the spear of light, ripping across the field for the third time.

The community it housed was, like the mystery it posed, vast and irrefutable.  A synergy that stood safeguard for all.

The beam cracked against the slab, tearing thin grooves in the dirt.  This time the slab did not sit idle, and rather than settle, powered forth with a howl of the shield maiden.

The bolt of light ceased it’s division, pooling into the slabs center before being repelled.  The wave of fierce light reversed and crashed into the boy unsuspecting.  A devastating wave of energy scattered through his torso.

Many days passed since he left the supercarrier.  His friends, colleagues, and comrades.  Their value lingered heavily within his heart.  It would be a long and difficult road before he laid those spirits to rest.  A lifetime of support was not outdone.  Certainly not in this one afternoon.

Waves of golden grain surrounded him to either side.  The occasional shed, or patrolling beast rider, the only signs of the towns behind them.  It was an alien feeling.  Either the skyscrapers or the ship that would be yet visible for ages, that spoke of home.  They would only be behind him as this journey reached its end.

A strange request made foreign concept.  Even the paved streets seemed like a forgotten world the deeper he went.  How many decades had it been since he’d seen a forest, the teen did wonder.

The first time, went unnoticed.  The vibration that tickled the earth could be written off as any stray feeling.  At first.

A couple of pounds later, Ago had to pause at the sensation.  When the sound of tearing came over the horizon, his feet took the initiative.

At a sprint, The sound repeated two times over.  Ago worked his senses overtime to make heads or tails of the cause.  Fragments of distrubed grain could still be seen drifting ahead in the rows.  With little more headway to gain there, he tore away from the main path and dove into the fields.

A minute or so later, he came upon a clearing.  Grain gave way bare earth, mud and sparse trees that were worse for wear.  By the impressions on the soil, it had seen rough use for a time since.  His hesitance was matched by the sight of two- individuals.  And there it redoubled.

For one, it seemed strange in turn, that he had never seen something like her before, and that he would do so away from the technical hubs.  The torso and arms of a human girl, divided at the waist concentric were six alabaster legs.  Each one reminiscent of a riot shield, and suspended by dark steel.

The other’s outfit was in tatters and his right side smoked to match his hair.  His right arm shimmered in a frightful orange.  Although a glasslike casing seemed to account for most of that, it still presented as near demonic in craft.

The boy examined his arm at the same time the girl lowered and shifted her foremost leg.  The latter spoke, “Shoot, Did I break it?  Enigma, are you okay?”

“Eh?  Oh, I’m completely fine hex.  I think that establishes a fatal flaw for this prototype.  Blowing up in it’s own crosshairs.  I shoulda thought of that eventually.”

The girl ‘hex’ sighed in relief, then seeming to notice the newcomer, turned to face Ago, “Why are you out here?  I thought the elder cleared it.”

Enigma extended his arm out, and a strikingly familiar plate of armor swept over to encase it.  Burns and all, “He’s not from around here.  You from the city, kid?”

The two seemed to be in their teens outwardly.  Doing a quick self check, Ago couldn’t figure out why people were always calling him that, “A bit of each, and my name is Ago.”

Enigma smirked, “A high and mighty one to boot.”

Hex extended an arm out, while nearly body-checking the raven at the same time, “Forgive him.  Enigma has a sharp tongue and a jealous attitude when it comes to his toys.”

“I do no- Jealous?” Enigma huffed and shook his head in relent.

“My name is Hex Alias.  I’m the peacekeeper as far as the highlands go.”

“Unofficially.” Enigma peered around the offending limb, “And this one loves to toot her own horn.  Loudest boots in history.”

Hex’s brow narrowed, but suppressed the urge to round on the boy.

Even from the slightest shift away from Enigma, Ago felt assured that one of those limbs could crater the both of them.

A knowing smile curled her lip, even as her irritation held, “This is what happens when boy wonder wants to blow off steam.  I assume you noticed, despite the relatively mute performance of the day.”

Enigma noticed ago appraising his gauntlet and shifted warily, “What brings you out here?  I don’t see the flagship sending one of their brass up this way.  Not for a holiday.”

Ago met his eyes, “You could tell?”

Enigma brushed his hand over the gauntlet and pointedly crossed his arms behind his back, “Like a talented fish squaring up to a horse.  A greenhorn has surer legs when it comes to real turf.  I can practically see the polished rooms about you.”

In the blink of an eye, Ago closed the distance.  In the next, Enigma found a blade pressed to his chest.  The latter found the tip with the corner of his eye and met the boy’s gaze.  His fingers parrying the faux strike, and words chorused in a moment of battle instinct.

Don’t insult my home, my family.  They will become of you whatever you throw a thousand fold.  I will not hesitate, and will demonstrate the strength of that loyalty.

I built the tools you fight with.  You're not a step shy of formidable, but against someone who so much as affiliates with me, you had better match up barehanded.

You still don’t know what you're up against.  Aghast at the influx of prowess, the two shared a pause and in the very same frame, caught the ire of alarming the shield maiden.

Instinct and deceit aligned.  The blade and gauntlet vanished between clasped hands and a grin.  Enigma’s face was sinister, inviting the challenge, “May the foothills find you well then, Ago.  It’ll be a breath of fresh air to have a friendly face about.”

“A bit of fresh talent, and a competency with arms?”

Alarm burst into a raucous laugh, “Hah, and that’s the example you lead with?” nevertheless, the aura that loomed overhead as Hex collected herself was befitting a tidal wave.  Pinpricks of wrath that bore upon them like floodlights.  They were both a gesture from being hamstrung under her raw power, and it was made clear on a primal level.

Don’t test me ever again.

In the moment he acknowledged her warning, Ago felt like his presence had just been sucked through the earth.  A monolith in her element had thoroughly quashed the unfamiliarity in his.

Baser instinct took the place of more convoluted matters.  His stomach rumbled.

Enigma smiled in genuine appreciation, “Ah, come.  The journey is long to town, but when we get there, I swear, there’s this cute little bakery that handles oil like you wouldn’t believe.”

Trepidation evaporated and honest relief crashed through Ago.  For all his prep, it was the one concern that hadn't really made the cut, “Thank you.  I’ve got a ways to go yet.”

0