Magitechs and the Giant’s apprentice Pt. 3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Night fell on the town.  The golden flush slowly overtaken by a soft amber as street lamps and private lighting provided a small perspective for the wandering folk.  Even as the late summer rays faded from the valley, Ago still mulled those words over.

It didn’t escape his notice that ‘guardians’ were idolized.  While he might have taken their confidence with a grain of salt, he couldn’t help but shape his approach with their hopes.  Knowing who they were, and what they were capable of did not a guardian make.

Fate or destiny, these could be the same words that caused him to make it of himself.  Nevertheless, he found himself at a crossroads.

Enigma… was strong.  Very strong, even among Ago’s brothers in arms.  That served to further his worry.  The raven was also eccentric.  One thing that Ago took solace in, was that he rarely had to concern himself with the particulars.  If the time for action came, he would be ready for it, whatever the circumstances.

A cool breeze passed through the town, whistling its way through the streets and carrying a few leaves before the twilit sky.  It was a refreshing and welcome reprieve.

The voice carried between its folds however rang with alarm.  Like the flick of a switch, Ago felt the weight of his senses shifting.

A grasslike wave of indigo rustled beneath the shadow of the woods.  The topsoil crackled underfoot.  Trunk and branch shivered under impact, as two claws secured themselves to the ground.  The white demon mask was swept back, as Hexalia pivoted to get a better look.

Black fur melded with the shadows.  In the barest shafts of light, their fangs could barely be picked apart from the wood.

Hex’s joints flared, Illuminating the hounds as they descended upon her again.  She barely spared the effort to deflect one, as the others were still intent on their prey.

Two young gatherers, packs half full with herbs, mushrooms and roots huddled where yet another wolf prepared to strike.  It’s chosen window became clear a split second after the mighty arachnid stormed too close for comfort.

The tree rumbled in protest, and the wolf retreated.  Hexalia extending an arm in warning, before sparing a glance to the two, “Stay together, alright?  I’ll keep them off of you.”

With a concerted attack, the wolves made to test her claims.  One attacked her directly while another snarled from behind.  Hexalia slammed them each back in turn.  Another that snuck close to ambush the twins found itself well within the outer limits of her reach.  The probe-like talon drove everything but the organs themselves out with a pitiful whine.

Hexalia reclaimed the spot directly before the two girls.  The remaining three wolves are less confident in the face of her guard.  They were far outmatched to make a dent in it.  A more distant howl sounded, and - between reluctance and gratitude - the pack of six retreated into the shadows.

Hex lifted herself for a moment, wincing at a pang in her most used leg.  Magical beasts.  She’d underestimated them in that regard.

“Thank you, please.  Perhaps now we will be safe to return again tomorrow?”

Hex sighed and shook her head, “Wait until scouts can peg those things back in the wilds.  No point making haste when we’d all have you at your best.  Rest up, and find some good ideas for the next trip.”

The younger bowed her head in disappointment, but the other held firm, “We will, to make you proud, miss.”

With a bit of a perk up, the two retreated to the town gate.  Hexalia shifted in relent, nursing her joint for a moment before turning to regard the natural barrier.

Even if it served the well, this forest immediately shadowed the town.  Beastkin, let alone wild beasts, never appeared this far from the dark forest.  Wolves weren’t exactly commonplace this far up the valley, and on top of that, their alignment.

Something drew them here, she could gather that much.  To what cause, she might never know.  Hex turned to the foot of the tree and retrieved a discarded object.

One of the nymphs’ talismans.  Hex flexed her grip on the crystal.  One possibility...

0