Sailors and the Tide summoner Pt. 1
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For all the time Sally spent on the island, it did not take long to gather her things, nor return her course material.  There were more wary gazes following her, once it was found out that she was arranging use of the portal.  A number had grown used to her presence, and were moved to see her go.

There was no doubt in her mind that her future was apart from this place.  Still, chasing a vision and standing before the gate were two very different things.  Even as the mana gate came to light, the unknown daunted her.

The clap of footfalls failed to turn her ear, that the hand on her shoulder startled her.  Sally looked up, and almost balked at who approached.

The congregation of beasts, Fauna Unison smiled softly, “You know, there are days when it feels the best will overturn us.  The last days are formidable, Sally.  There is a beginning where there is an end.” Her gaze drifted to the portal, and then back with a gleam, “Treasure the time spent out there.  When we next meet, I hope to catch up on better terms.”

Sally nodded, and fought back tears, “I will Unis.  If you’ll have me.  I will always return here in my heart.

“Go get ‘em kiddo.”

And with a shove, Sally stumbled into the portal, and with one last look she nodded.

The realm of the sacred eye faded away in brush strokes.  The sky and ground immediately beneath her feet seemed to melt indecisively.  Those same strokes brought the world to open up to her again.  A cobbled street that curved down toward the ocean.

Drying her eyes, Sally hefted her pack.  She had a long journey ahead of her, and with every step of the way, resolved anew.

Sally felt herself swept through something similar to whitewater.  The colors of the world were swept away, and then unfolded in a wave of colors.  She released a heavy sigh and stepped out into the cobbled streets.  Glistening in sunlight, the main road extended from halfway up the mountain and strait to the pier.

It would not be so simple as to simply appear on the mainland.  Most tribes of mabeast traveled in secret, and kept their clan ties close to heart.   Most of the gates set up around the world were warded and hidden in such a way that only an overseer or their lineage would be able to guide someone through.

Fawn, for all her power and influence, did not have that authority.  The islands deep within the archipelago however possessed their own portal network.  Due to a limited supply of magic, they weren’t normally used for less than bulk transport.  It was necessary feature too.

Deep in the heart of the archipelago, the oceans were in constant turmoil.  Massive breakers and shifting swells were commonplace, and unavoidable, with a roulette of weather patterns to top it off.

During storm season… they earned the moniker of ‘demon straits’.  Currents and tidal fronts turned that part of the sea perpendicular to the earth.  While the rest of the world say the activity on the ocean as a rare extension of their bounty, those that lived in the heart knew isolation.

Trade froze.  Merchants that braved those conditions were scarce, and preyed on the most lucrative commissions.  Her own tribe were nomadic, and one of few true masters of the sea.  Ships sailed sideways, riding the tides like surfers on curving paths that extended over…

The sky and sea floor devolved into one another.  The swelling pressures fueling otherworldly storms.  Below was a taste of the void.  Above, rivers of lightning.  Either end capable of dissolving a soul and vessel.

The ‘demon straits’ were the narrow band where the air was safe to breathe, and the waters sturdy enough to anchor.  Sally’s tribe knew paths that were more dynamic, but even they warned of the limits in the extreme.

She could get in and out of the heart herself, however to do so alone was a great feat, and more than she wanted to wager out of landlock.  Still, Sally knew in her heart that the time was now.  Fawn assured her that a trade vessel would visit this isle within a few days.

It would take a bit of labor on her part.  All the more to keep her errant thoughts at bay.

Pearl island.  Named for the white capped mountains, and the soft stone mined there.  It was a rare and valuable magic insulator, used to neutralize and manage mana flow, and corrosion alike.  Pivotal to preserve any type of seal, be they arcane or mechanical.

Hence the merchants found their commission.  Nearly every vessel that traveled the heart was shaped by prodigious hands.  Successful voyagers not only prospered, but held close ties to these gifted artisans.

Sally made her way through the market.  In her time spent as a voyager, she learned to tune out the merchant's call.  The intuition hadn’t degraded at all since, but in hindsight, it didn’t matter.  The locals were moved to see a stranger on the road, and yet the shops had gone quiet.  Dormant before the storm.  Waiting for the return of tourism and clientele.

Those who did reach out tended to be more amicable, and open minded about her situation.  She was quick to make acquaintances, beyond the confines of the island.  There were those who felt competitive, or hesitant to share, but it remained a nonissue.

Sally made steady headway all the while, admitting what she could in stride, and taking heed of the roles that came forth.  She may be staying there for a few days, but she had to see to the arriving ship first.

Isolated though she was, Fawn knew her territory well.  It’s magic, and it’s denizens.  She was never wrong when it came to political affairs.

Sure enough, a ship arrived at the island shores not long after she did.  Its majesty and size exceeded her every expectation in the season.  It was an impressive piece of workmanship.

As it docked, and the crew departed, her concerns shifted to the forefront.

Inventory was exchanged.  The movement of the deckhands was steady and resolute, but at the same time, unpacking took considerably longer than it should have.

A larger ship required greater skill and numbers, while this vessel was well made, it was clearly short handed.  As the shipwright cleared customs, it became increasingly apparent that getting aboard would be a non-issue.  They were actively searching for able bodies.

The question was, whether they would find any in route before the storms hit.  Sally presented with confidence that came with years of experience, but in her heart she knew that she could not abandon a ship to these waters.  This late into the season, Storms were an inevitability, and Sally could read the skies better than even Fawn.

0