10. Separation
134 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kiel was outside, connecting the stars to see beauty hiding in solidarity. He was seated cross-legged, and in his hand was a blade of grass. He closed his eyes and reveled in the swamp of emotions.

 

[What are you doing?] From behind, Ame approached with a question.

 

[This just… feels somewhat different from anything that I have felt.] he answered, as he watched a group of three approaching from the distance, [They are here. Ame, inform Mother and Father.]

 

[…Okay… try not to kill them out of spite.] Ame reminded Kiel as if it was a joke when she was serious, 'He's not acting like his normal self... he is dangerous when he's like this.'

 

When Kiel becomes unsettled, only she knows how dangerous he can become… she still remembers the incident with the Stone Python. Ame may like this brother of hers, but she knows that without he was unaware that he was a monster through and through.

 

The man named Harold stopped before Kiel, and as the other two behind them also did the same, they bowed their heads before him to show respect, "…thank you, for convincing him, the Clan will not forget this, Young Master Kiel." Harold said with respect.

 

Kiel did not show him affection nor reaction; the boy continued sitting on playing with the blade of grass before finally deciding to speak, "I did not do it for you or anyone else, my parents needed to do this, and I did everything for their sakes, nothing more, nothing less. I have engraved the words uttered by both you and my father earlier, though I do not know the incident of the past, I will keep this one to heart. If anything happens, you, as the one who appeared here bearing the words that upset the balance, will pay the price."

 

Kiel's words were devoid of any prominent emotions, but for some reason, Harold felt like these words held more significant weight than anything he had ever dealt with.

 

'He's not even a cultivator…' it was bizarre for everyone present. The atmosphere grew awkward, as Kiel didn't say anything to follow up his domineering words. It was silent throughout the surrounding area.

 

Harold was having a hard trying to stay there and wait with Kiel as the silence almost choked him, so he asked, "Young Miss Ame cultivates and has reached the Martial Master Stage of the Consolidated Realm… um…." Harold managed to think about his words and found himself almost looking like he was looking down upon Kiel.

 

'This is hard.' He said to himself as he failed to even talk to Kiel. An expert like himself was actually fumbling with trying to make conversations… he managed to humiliate himself.

 

Carefully tearing the grass into three parts, Kiel still spoke, "Ame chose to cultivate by herself despite our parents' wishes; she has ambitions she wants to achieve. As for me, I chose not to cultivate… I do not want to cultivate in any way. But it is not like I can't do it; I just don't plan on doing it for no reason. I may be but an ant in your eyes, but at least I am living a peaceful life with my family… well, that was the case before you and your people showed up. I want to live the life of a Mortal, and I will stay like that until my time comes."

 

He sighed as Kiel finally looked at Harold and the others, "You may not admit it, but you hold pity for me, thinking that I am ignorant and arrogant for my conclusion, right? That if I were smart, I would accept the gifts of the world. Devour its life to fatten my lifespan."

 

Harold tried to say otherwise, but Kiel didn't allow him to spit out a lie.

 

"You don't have to give an excuse; I know it's true. Your eyes bear the same luster as the others who learned I was Ame's brother. That I share the same blood as a prodigy." Kiel let out a bitter laugh, "But isn't it laughable? I am weak and insignificant, yet I am still not the one who needs to beg others just so they can live to see the next day?"

 

Kiel's questions only further the silence. The three felt their throats tightening.

 

'Just what kind of person is this kid? Even the First Master was not like this… his words, his atmosphere, his presence, all of it are incomprehensible.' The two cultivators behind Harold thought the same.

 

Kiel went back to stargazing, and after a few more minutes, Noah and Ava exited their house. They had nothing with them, but an ancient bangle was now found in both their hands.

 

'A dimensional storage?'

 

Kiel stood up, and Ame appeared beside him. Their parents looked at them, and Ava showed signs of crying… she didn't want to cry in front of Kiel; she feared her child may crumble if she did. She tried to establish a strong show for her son and daughter.

 

Ava also decided to leave all the talking to Noah as she felt like she would actually cry if she was to even speak. She did not want to leave their sides. 

 

"Noah, on second thought, if the children don't want to go, I will stay be-"

 

"Mother..." Kiel held onto the hems of her clothes, "...we will be fine."

 

"But." she hesitated.

 

"It's okay," Ame added.

 

Ava temporarily moved aside as she tried her best to keep her tears from falling.

 

Noah knelt on one knee; he first spoke at Ame, "My daughter, your mother already told me what happened in Town. A Sect is trying to recruit you, correct? My reason for not letting you and your brother cultivate is so that you will not be entangled in the life of the Immortal World. But now that we are in this situation, I can see that I was being too narrow-minded… you can pursue your dreams, Ame. Go to them and follow your ambition; your brother and us cannot watch over you, so try to make sure not to go into too much trouble, okay? I love you, my daughter." Ava and Noah hugged Ame.

 

"Don't worry, I will be good," Ame said with a broad grin. She was as energetic as ever.

 

Noah and Ava then moved towards Kiel, who was watching them with his usual expression. Noah had both his hands placed on Kiel's shoulders before speaking:

 

It was Ava who spoke. This may just be the last time she would get to talk to him like this, so there was no more time to guide him, "I know that you are a filial son who will do anything for his parents… but try not to live with fear in your heart. Do not be afraid of connecting with others, my son. Books can help you understand the truth of the world, but only through others can you know yourself. Try to live as free as you can, and who knows, while we are away, you might finally understand what your passion in life is other than spending your time trying to hide your Mastery of the Spear?"

 

"...you knew?"

 

"We are your parents. Do you think we'd miss you going for your "enthusiastic walks" at night? Oh, those poor trees." Noah joked. 

 

Ava stifled her laughter, but she smiled all the brighter, "You don't have to tip-toe, Kiel. I do not know what you are afraid of, but it will be fine, my dear son. So, while you are waiting for us, you do not have to be so constraint with what you think you must do… just do it and live free. You can cultivate if you want; we will not stop you… you can live as you see fit." Noah and Ava hugged him.

 

Noah and Ava pulled Ame to them as well. The entire family embraced one another.

 

"We'll come back soon… don't worry," Ava assured them.

 

Noah then spoke, "Reached out your hands, you two."

 

Ame and Kiel did what they were asked.

 

Noah gave them something; bangles were dangling on Kiel's right arm and Ame's left.

 

"This is called a Dimensional Bangle; it contains inside items that will help you live your lives while we are away… I added something special in yours, Ame; try to put it into good use, okay?"

 

Kiel looked at his father and then bowed with cupped hands, "Thank you, Father, Mother."

 

Ame did the same soon after.

 

Noah and Ava saw this and kissed them on the cheeks before ruffling their hair, "We're going now… take care and support each other, okay? Don't fight."

 

Kiel and Ame showed them a smile as they saw their parents leave.

 

Ava and Noah turned their backs against their children, and as they approached the Harold and other two, their tears fell once more… but they didn't turn back.

 

Their steps did not stop. They couldn't stop. If they turn around, they know they won't have the heart to go. They all flew away using the Spirit Energy of the World.

 

Noah and Ava had to leave. A part of it to go help the Main Family but another to stop the Kingston. They knew that if the Kingston Family won, they would come after them next.

 

With a heavy heart... Ava and Noah left their children.

 

As they finally left, Ame turned to him and saw his tears gushing out from the corners of his eyes.

 

Kiel held Ame's hands as he allowed his tears to fall.

 

"It... will be all right," 

 

"What are you talking about? I'm fine. You're the one who needs counsel." She laughed, "Heh, with this, I'll be able to cultivate more peacefully… now… right?" 

 

"Don't worry, Ame... it's going to be fine."

 

Again, Ame let out a weak laugh, "Again... I told you... I'll be fine." she was laughing, but she still couldn't stop its flow.

 

"Huh? What's... this?" It was overwhelming, "How embarrassing... haha... it never stops... it comes flowing out..."

 

Ame wiped her tears away, but they never stopped coming down. She lost sight of what was in front of her, but just to see her parents longer, she did her best to wipe her tears away.

 

But she couldn't stop its flow.

 

She tried to laugh it off, but the pain of separation still got her. She felt Kiel's hand holding hers.

 

Again, he said, "It's going to be all right."

 

And as she looked at the night sky, Ame could no longer see the silhouettes of their parents. Ame... asked him, "Will it really?"

 

Ame cried.

 

I chose to cut the chapter short on purpose as it felt more natural to end it this way. 

If you liked the chapter, then help the story by rating it, commenting, or leaving a review for others to discover.

Thank you for reading, if you wish to support the book or just read ahead, you can consider Patreon for 1$

7