Vol. 2 – 12. Odd Jobs Ares
146 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before dawn even arrived, a middle-aged man was already working. Holding the ax tightly overhead, his bare flesh flexed, and then he released his breath—

 

CHOP!

 

A swing was all it took for Ares to split a log in two. He wiped his sweat from his brows and then placed the log on the side.

 

CHOP! 

 

CHOP! 

 

CHOP!

 

Ares stopped as a mound was created from all his hard work. After neatly placing them by the side of a house, Ares peeked from outside and yelled.

 

"Old Mikal! I'm done!"

 

Ares saw a hunched-back old man with a long white beard sauntered out with his hands behind his back and tightly bandaged neck. His eyes were closed, but the mystery was that he could still somehow see. The old man carried a pitcher carved from wood and handed it to Ares.

 

"Aiya, you are a lifesaver, Ares, my boy." Old Mikal rummaged around his pockets, pulled out three Gol, and handed them to Ares, "Here, boy, payment."

 

"Ah! No, no, no, Old Mikal. You need it more than I—"

 

Old Mikal held Ares' hand and pulled it to him so he could give it to him personally, "You do this for me every week, so this is the least I can do, and know that your son is sick, every Gol will help."

 

"But—"

 

"Take it, boy. Material possession to me is nothing. If it did, I would still be in the Sundering Peak, living lavishly—did I ever tell you, Ares, my boy, the time when I used to rule over Nine Great Cities and Immortal Provinces…."

 

Ares sighed, hearing the old man babble about the past that never happened. Old Mika was the local crazed old man, telling stories about an unheard Immortal Palace that ruled over Immortal Provinces and Great Cities.

 

"Yes, yes, and if only you didn't lose to the Burning Soul Sovereign, you wouldn't have been kicked out of the Sundering Peak. Yes, I know, I already heard this story hundreds of times, Old Mikal." 

 

"Bullshit, who said that I lost? It was I who won, but I was foolish enough to spare that bastard to preserve the fragile peace. But then, he struck me when I turned my back on him. That reprobate took advantage of my kindness and tried to kill me when I extended my hands for peace." Old Mikal vehemently argued as his beard waved with the wind.

 

"Then, why would the victor leave the Sundering Peak?" Ares laughed as he asked.

 

"Well, other than the fatal injury—" Old Mikal looked up in the direction of the rising sun. In deep thought, until he broke free from his mind and sighed, "—it's because I realized the futility of it all and chose to leave at the fear of my own mortality."

 

"…so, you got your butt kicked, and you fled because you felt threatened by others that want your position to kill you?"

 

Old Mikal turned to Ares, one of his brows raised, "How did you get that from everything that I just said — but you are partly correct."

 

"I knew it!" Ares laughed as the old man finally admitted what he wouldn't, "Anyway, I will take these Gol; I still have to get water for Aunty Mia. I will see you later, Old Mikal." 

 

"Yeah, yeah, also, don't forget to soak your son in Heavenly Blooming Oil tonight; I fear a Blood Moon is looming over our heads. It will arrive any day now. Though I cannot pinpoint the exact time, it should eighter be tonight or this week." Old Mikal yelled.

 

Ares paused as he looked at Old Mikal one last time. He should doubt him; after all, it was only the thirteenth month; how could there be a Blood Moon, yet, the previous seven years proved common sense to be useless, "Thank you for the warning, Old Mikal! See you later!"

 

Old Mikal watched Ares leave with hesitation behind his step. It was not a sight he preferred seeing, "Aiya, if only my essence is not leaking, then I could save the boy from his gruesome fate, faster…." 

 

Old Mikal held his neck and grimaced, "…I am not who I used to be. Well, I better prepare the last process." The Old Man said as he closed the door.

 

Ares went from house to house doing odd jobs, both receiving payment and rejecting them. By the time he finished, the sun had already risen.

 

Carrying a jug of fresh water and his trusted ax, Ares ran in haste to return home, 'Oh no, it's already so late, Akko is already awake now… this kid.'

 

"Father!" a boy around the age of eight shouted and ran towards his father, welcoming Ares with a hug.

 

"What are you doing outside, Akko? You aren't supposed to be walking around so early in the morning, aren't you?" 

 

Akko'Isa took his father's hand and pulled him into the house, his smile brighter than it could ever be, "Hehehe, I am fine, Father. Thanks to Grandpa Mikal and the medicine you bring, I am stronger than an Estalian Red Bull! Come, Father, I already prepared breakfast!"

 

Ares looked at Akko'Isa with worry in his eyes. But he shook it off and picked him up, placing him on his shoulder, "You prepared breakfast for me? Good timing, this father of yours is tired after work!"

 

"Ahahahah!" Akko'Isa laughed, feeling the wind brush past his face.

 

In the outskirts of a small village with no more than seventeen families was a house that's always filled with laughter. It was the house of a Father and Son, living together with no one but each other to depend on.

 

The father, Ares, spends his time doing odd jobs around the Village. He's a man of many talents, and because of rumors that he's actually a cultivator and of his sunny disposition, many employ him and trust him.

 

Akko'Isa was Ares' son and was born with a lot of energy but a weak constitution. When he was born, his veins were like fireworks, incapable of holding the incredible power that flows within. He was strong yet fragile at the same time, but that didn't deter him from smiling and being thankful to see another day.

 

Enjoying the morning breeze, saying good morning to the neighbors, and even cooking for his father. Akko'Isa is a strong person. 

 

"Father! Father, how do you like the Egg boiled in Argus Salt? Is it good!? Did I do good!?"

 

"Mm, it's tasty, it's tasty."

 

"YES, GAHAHAHAHA~Blergh*" blood suddenly streamed out of his mouth, "Oh, I laughed too hard, hehe."

 

"Akko!" Ares swiftly went to wipe the blood off Akko'Isa's face. Worry and anxiety filled Ares, seeing his son in such a state.

 

The fear of losing another close to him was not something he wanted to imagine.

 

Yet, when he looked at his son's face, he saw nothing but a bright smile reaching his ears.

 

"I'm okay, Father, you don't have to worry about me. I'm stronger than an Eralian Red Bull! Not even a River God can keep me down!"

 

Akko'Isa laughed at the face of his pain, "Besides, thanks to Grandpa Mikal, the pain has considerably lessened. And he said that soon, I can begin cultivation! I'd finally be able to learn your Martial Arts, Father!"

 

The torture of his mysterious ailment was torturous for anyone, especially to a child. But it was already something he's already used to. It was torture for others, but it became a norm for him. Ten years of suffering was enough to temper Akko'Isa.

 

Seeing his son laugh in the face of his pain could break anyone, especially his father.

 

Ares felt helpless seeing his son in such a state, and he could not even give him a sense of comfort.

 

He already said everything that could be said.

 

It was Akko'Isa who comforted him. Smiling and reassuring him that everything was all right.

 

"I see, I see, so my son is going to train in my Martial Arts when he's cured, I see. Well, well, my Martial Arts is hard to train in, you know. Even I cannot practice it to its fullest, you know. Do you mean you're going to surpass this old man of yours?"

 

Akko'Isa hit his chest, "Of course! Then I'd join a Sect like the Mystic Palace, make a name for myself and drown in money, fuhe… fuhehehehe~" Akko'Isa began drooling in the light of his thoughts.

 

It's not a secret that Akko'Isa loves money above all, second only to his father.

 

'Though that laugh of his is very worrying—' Ares worries what his son would become after he's cured.

 

After cleaning the blood, the two finished their plates, and then Ares proceeded to wash the dishes while Akko'Isa went to pick up the pen and study.

 

But then, the boy remembered something and hurried to his father's side, "Father, that's right, a Messenger Owl arrived just now."

 

"Really? Where's the letter?"

 

"Here."

 

Ares accepted the letter after wiping his hand. Ripping up the envelope and reading the letter inside, Ares' expression experienced several shifts in emotion.

 

"Father, who's it from?"

 

"Ah!" Ares was woken from his thoughts, and from the letter to Akko'Isa, his eyes darted around, "Hmm, it's from your Uncle Allen; he's saying hello."

 

"Ohhh! Uncle Allen, it's been a while since I last saw him. Did he say anything about visiting?"

 

"No, but he said he misses you."

 

Akko'Isa laughed in self-gratification, but he's well aware that his father was lying, 'Father is acting weird again… he's mostly like this because he doesn't want to leave….'

 

Closely observing his father picking the wrapped ax mounted on the wall, Akko'Isa put two and two together and came to the confusion, "Father's lying… you're going to hunt with Uncle Allen again, aren't you? Take me with you, please~ and I want to see Uncle Allen too!"

 

Akko'Isa protested.

 

"You're too smart for me sometimes—and the answer is no." 

 

"What?" Sitting on the ground, Akko'Isa pouted, "You never take me with you to hunt or see Uncle."

 

Ares just laughed it off and ruffled his son's hair, "When you're all better. For now, go back to studying; if you don't know how to read, then you'd become stupid, and others would scam you for your hard-earned money."

 

Akko'Isa's eyes widened as his nose flared in indignation, "I can't have that!!!!!"

 

He returned to studying with fervor. 

 

Ares stepped out of their house, and a cheery voice sounded from the inside.

 

"Take care, Father!"

 

"I'll be back soon. Don't come out of the house."

 

"Yessss~"

 

"Good boy." Ares closed the door as he headed outside.

 

Walking through the forest behind their home, Ares arrived at a clearing an hour later. Standing in the middle, he dug something on the ground and found a map that ultimately led him to a tree bearing cube-shaped black fruits.

 

"So, you have arrived, Savage Ax Ares. It had been a long time since we had met. For you to respond to the letter I sent you so quickly, it appears you are beginning to learn your position." From the tree, a menacing voice echoed.

 

Standing in front of the tree, Ares could hear the menacing voice coming from the tree. Irritated, he clicked his tongue, "Stop acting like some shadowy figure; you're not a kid, Allen, come out already."

 

"Insolence, you dare act so arrogant

ly in front of m—ah~ wa-wait~ Ahhh~ Don't kick the tree down! I'll get down on my own, sto-stopppp— brother-in-law!"

 

The wailing of a young man echoed far and wide.

Yes, I didn't accidentally post a different story, this is still Peerless Hegemon and the story will return to Kiel shortly, but for now, please meet Ares - Leave your thoughts about him here, do you like him? Y/N?

well, thanks for reading

If you want to support the story, Favorite, Rate, Comment, and, Review. 

Any of the four, welp, wish you are enjoying the story

8