Chapter 18.5: How to Live
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Tournament of the Young Flame of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain is a yearly event held at dawn of the year and lasts for two weeks. The Tournament was a combination of trials that culminated in an elimination fight between sixteen disciples of the outer circle.

This competition did not only provide a prize of a [Sundering Blaze Pill] that's sought after by disciples at the True Spirit Realm. It also served as a demonstration for the newly arrived disciples who had been accepted from the nearby towns of the area under the Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

The Tournament was a way to instill the greatness of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain to those who had just arrived. To allow them to see past the legend

However, it was not only that, but it was also a great time to show off to the Elders of the Sect who attended the event searching for promising people.

This year was even more intense than the last because of the presence of Yang Family's Yang Mei. She was the younger sister of Yang Biyu, one of the three Golden Feathers of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

It was also said that when Yang Mei was born, a Celestial Phenomenon occurred. The sky turned crimson and the trees around their manor burst into blue flames. She was a prominent talent who should already be in the inner circle the previous year but chose to stave off moving up to prove her capabilities to the Elder during the Tournament of Young Flame and also obtain the Sundering Blaze Pill.

She headed into the Tournament with confidence. This would be the beginning of a grand story. She would triumph and stand next to her sister with a proud smile.

So it was confusing to Yang Mei when she looked down and saw a palm neatly placed on her chest. Her hand was too heavy to bring up to swat it away. Her legs were like lead that pinned her down. And the girl had already finished her circulation of spirit energy.

"You should've thought better of who you befriend. That's what my brother said. And seeing your situation? Yeah, he was right…Heaven and Hell Palms: Flame Devastation!"

The sound of an explosion filled the arena. The roar of flames stopped and the body of Yang Mei fell on the ground scorched and standing before her was a girl. A little girl who arrived not too long ago.

In Yang Mei's defeat, silence pervaded in the air. The echoes of hopes and dreams crashing coming to an end with the light thud of her body remained in the minds of all those who were watching.

Confusion on how a no named nobody who arrived not even half a year ago could defeat the rising star Yang Mei. Fear from the new disciples who tried to mess with her when she arrived.

Anger from those who supported Yang Mei.

Curiosity of the Elders who were impressed by her skills.

Standing proudly in the middle of the attention, the girl lifted both arms in celebration and announced her victory with two middle fingers to everyone who doubted her for being someone from "low-birth".

"See this?! This is the power of a backwater nobody you fuckwit spawns of spoiled and cuddled fucks!" shouted Ame like she was not also spoiled, cuddled, and favoured by the entire family.

Ame was never one to associate with "rich-folks" because of several facets. But it was mostly because they were entitled.

They would see the world as a pearl they could claim. Do anything wrong? Well money would fix it. Got anyone killed? Money would fix it. Want to kill someone? Money would fix that.

They were also condescending towards those who were not born in the "same league" as them. They think they are better than those who eat potatoes for all three meals.

And in this case, they think that they were better than the little girl who came from a backwater town who had nothing to her name so they ganged up on her and when they were beaten they called on the little prodigy to be saved.

Their fight was cut short before. But with this, she proved herself to be better than them. And with her middle fingers raised she had stomped their demise this coming year, telling them that she was about to get revenge!

"WOOOOOOOOOOOH! Yeah! Show them Ame!"

"HAHAHAHA! Get those pompous jerks!"

The cheers of those who shirked in the presence of those born at the top erupted in a cheer for the victor's declaration against the nobles. Their chests swelled from pride that one of them finally stuck it up with the nobles who had been so proud with their pedigree.

"Wi—Winner, AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

It was Ame who had already caused a major ruckus not long after joining the Celestial Phoenix Mountain. Hearing her name announced, she smirked and showed a wry smile, 'But still, I better not let Kiel hear about this. He won't like me bullying young people for no reason.'

The two siblings had a conversation once about where they stood in the world of cultivation.

"How should I act if I go out in the world? Am I older than them or am I now younger than they are? Should I take advantage of this? Am I even allowed to be in a relationship… am I even allowed to have a new start in life?"

"You are allowed to live a new life. You have been given a new start, it is more disrespectful to not live it anew. But even if you have a new life, your past does not truly disappear. I am not the best person to speak about it, but, I believe you can live a new life but just make sure you are living it while holding the prestige of a person who is walking a second path."

"...what does that mean?"

"It means becoming what you believe is respectable. You may not have been one in the past, but this time, you have the means to not make the same mistakes."

"I see. Is that why you're not cultivating?"

"That is a part of it, yes."

"Huh, I thought it was because you're scared of losing to me when we actually fight seriously."

"You can't beat me. Your movements are sloppy and you cannot even execute your techniques. Even if I'm on the brink of death I will win."

"Is that pride I hear? Hehehe, so even the "Great Progenitor" holds value in his strength huh. So you are kind of like a human after all, I see, I see."

"I changed my mind about teaching you Palm Techniques and I will be stopping the revision of the [Star Hopper] until you complete One True Cycle of Flow of Life."

"Wait, what? That's going to take a whole year! What's with the sudden punishment?"

"You're too arrogant."

"No I'm not. I'm just a prideful person… Hey, wait, Kiel!? KIELLL!"

They were five when they had this conversation.

'It feels like it was such a long time ago.' Ame said to herself as she looked down and saw 1

"Get away from her!" A beautiful lady who wore the inner circle's red robes arrived next to Yang Mei, stopping Ame's approach.

She was Yang Biyu, Yang Mei's older sister and one of the strongest disciples that could be found in the entire region.

'She's fast, that's a good movement technique. She's also a pseudo Ascended so she has more spirit energy than me… I can't steal her dimensional storage.' Ame smiled to herself, 'As expected of the Top Disciple. It might be interesting to fight her while we're in the Step-Stages.'

"Don't you think you've done enough?" said the pretty lady from the inner circle, "This is a tournament, not a fight to the death."

"You talk like I was going to kill your sister. Don't worry, I held back plenty. Now get out of the way, I'll—Ooooh, so that's how it is."

Yang Biyu stepped in front of Yang Mei, keeping Ame just a step away.

"That is enough, right?"

Fire was about to erupt between the two when another lady wearing similar red robes as Yang Biyu. It was Ris, the one who invited Ame to join Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

She carried a complacent smile as she always has even when she threatened to end the fight herself, "We can't have a direct disciple of an Elder going around picking a fight with a newcomer now, would we?"

"Control your junior." Yang Biyu's eyes became like blades as she shot a glance at Ame who raised her hand in defeat.

"I didn't do anything wrong though. Screw it." Ame sighed before throwing something over at Biyu.

It was a brown pill that didn't look all that good. It smelled like nothing and radiated

"...what's this?"

"You Nobles have trust issues like someone I know. That's medicine made by the greatest Doctor I know."

"We don't need your charity." Yang Biyu remarked before returning the pill to Ame.

"You know what? Fuck it!" Seeing her goodwill taken for

'And I thought Kiel was unbearable with his distrust over others. Tsk, these people are crazy…argh, fucking hell.' before turning back to Yang Biyu with a scowl, "Hey! Snobshit!"

Yang Biyu heard Ame's voice and as she turned around, she caught something the arrogant newcomer suddenly threw at her. At first, she was incensed thinking that Ame was truly pushing it but when she looked at what she thought was some rock was actually the pill she refused.

"I said we don't need your charity."

"And I say, just keep it."

"The Yang Family is have been making medicines for a long time, do you know what you are insinuating with your wo—"

"Damn it, if she's not fine after a few days or no medicine is working, just use the damn pill. If she dies from it, you can hunt me down. I am not obligated to help you, but my family told me to offer help to my opponents if they're not exactly my enemy. I'd like to avoid making enemies if I can."

Hearing her reasonings, Yang Biyu finally caved, "The Yang Family will not forget
"Don't worry about it. And tell your sister to try and be more mindful who she makes friends with." Ame looekd at Yang Mei and sighed, "No one's even came to help her out. Tell her to come find me if she wants to fight."

After cupping her hands towards Yang Biyu, Ame left with Ris.

Ame did not like Nobles. They were not likeable in the slightest to her. But, seeing how they lived their lives in this manner for the sake of their pride and image.

'What a sorry life.'

Unable to trust others.

Unable to accept goodwill without reason due to pride.

Unable to even who to trust.

A suffocating way to live.

It reminded Ame of someone.

'I wonder how he's doing?'

===

A ceiling so high one must fly to touch. Ornaments plated in gold shimmering under the glare of the floating balls of flames carried at the end of the young disciple's floating platforms as they took a variety of treasures to be exchanged from the cabinets placed on the walls.

This is the Golden Tide Temple, a place where Inner and Outer Circle Disciples alike gather to exchange the points they have accumulated from various tasks for either gold, medicine, martial arts, or something else entirely. It was a place where anyone could get what they wanted if they had enough points to exchange.

There was a microcosm of an economic circulation found inside the Mountain. This economy was what incentivized disciples of the Mountain to try harder. To do more than what they could offer.

Go beyond their limits and become greater. Grander than what they could be.

Often, when a new disciple would visit the Temple, they would ask the same thing.

"What is the greatest treasure here?"

Their guide would look up and point at the top of the ceiling where ten golden bubbles surrounding one gray flame floated.

"The greatest? Well, there are many treasures on the mountain. But, if you are asking for the greatest, then it would be that."

They would point at 11 bubbles suspended in the air. These bubbles held the greatest prizes that could be obtained through the legitimate Sect Points. They were treasures of all designs. Enviable treasure that many greed over.

From an old sword originating from the Era of Unending Wars. The Legendary Tome of Medicines by the Second Generation Elder. A pill that would allow a person to train in the hottest blazes.

These 11 treasures had been in the Celestial Phoenix for as long as it had been established. Each of them were powerful artefacts that could be obtained. However, they were attached with different prerequisites and not just with sect points.

The Tome of Medicine

-500,000 Sect Points

-Requirement: Recognized Fourth Star of Apothecary and Alchemy before the age of 20

-450,000

-Requirement: Third Step of Sword Intent before the age of 20

But these treasures the guides would give the newly disciples.

Rather, they would point at the inconspicuous bubble by the corner. A bubble that was no bigger than a human's head.

Its content was far from catching anyone's eyes. It was overshadowed, hidden by the grandeur of the blinding lights. It was hidden and unassuming.

Yet it had a majesty in its silence.

"That is the Gray Ember, the greatest treasure and greatest secret of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain. It is said that it came from the Founder and holds the secrets of the Sect's Martial Techniques. There are many stories regarding it and the absurdity of its prerequisite perpetuates these rumors.

"It costs 1,000,000 points and has a prerequisite of having to obtain said points before your second year in the mountain. Not only that, but you must also have reached Spirit Realm before the age of 12 which would make you a prodigy above anyone the Province has seen in the last century. And to add to that, you must also have a high rank Spirit Beast that is attuned to flames. Anything less and you will be wasting your points."

"I—is it that powerful? Then… maybe if I get that I will become a powerful figure in the future!"

"Hahaha, it is good to have a goal."

At first, everyone wanted to get their hands on the Gray Ember. However, it would always end at a failure because by now, the existence of the Gray Ember had already become a joke.

It was already public knowledge that the Gray Ember's prerequisites had been altered half a century ago. Because of the Gray Ember's mysteriousness no one had benefited from its acquisition.

On the contrary, it had only been a thorn throughout history. Because of its unruly nature despite how it looked, the Gray Embers have caused a prodigy that would have catapulted the Celestial Phoenix Mountain to ruling the entire Province to become a cripple after having their meridians and spirits veins turned to ashes.

Due to this, the prerequisites were raised. From 500,000 to 1,000,000 and having the age from 15 to 12 to discourage anyone from attempting to acquire the Gray Flames.

Why not just take it away from the Golden Tide Palace? No one really knows.

The widely accepted theory happened to be that it was the only place that could hold the Gray Ember.

In the present, the Gray Ember was considered a joke from the Elders more than anything else.

Who would waste 1,000,000 points for such a thing that had the chance of turning a person into a cripple. Not to mention, the person who could obtain the treasure had to be a prodigy without compare and not a single talented person

Unless they were of course someone who was someone who had a heart for the exotic.

Someone who was greedy enough to disregard the warnings around them in order to get their hands on something they didn't have before.

"I want the Gray Ember."

"Excuse, could you repeat that?"

Someone like the rising talent of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

"I said I wanted the Gray Ember. Do not worry, I already prepared the payment and completed the prerequisites. Here is the 1,000,000 points and proof that I am a Spirit Realm cultivator. I am 7 years old, pushing 8 this spring and if you want proof, sad to say, I do not have a birth plaque as I was born from a POOR family. But we do have a bull that was bought in celebration of me and my brother's birth, would that be good? Oh, almost forgot, I am also very much attuned to the fire."

With those words, Ame unleashed her Spirit Beast that immediately alarmed the people around her.

"And that is everything, I believe? So, um, can you please give me the Gray Ember?"

The receptionist looked around trying to find a person who didn't know what to do. She wanted to give the Gray Ember to not be any more acquainted with the walking calamity that was the little girl before her.

But she also didn't want to be complicit to ending the career of such a talent, "But Junior Sister Ame… are you sure? The Gray Ember is something that no one has been able to decipher and if you do not completely unravel its mystery it will automatically leave your person and return to the Golden Tide Temple and by then, we would not be able to do anything."

"I know."

Two words.

The little girl responded with two girls. The certainty in her voice should not belong to someone her age. Just what kind of life had she lived? No one knew but her.

She was as unnatural as she was talented. But that was to be expected. After all, this little girl was none other than Ame, someone who was going through their second chance in life.

Thinking about such a thing, the receptionist was beginning to waver. However, realizing the harshness of the little girl's life. The receptionist could draw a conclusion why this little girl would desire the Gray Embers.

'Poor little girl. Just how much has she suffered to be this desperate?'

One could only imagine why she was so willing to risk it all. And imagine she did.

Her mind raced.

Her thoughts swirled in her mind. Creating a story that fit the image she had built around the little girl.

Ame's image became poorer in her mind and her pity only accelerated with no sign of decline, 'How could such a little girl…I—'

It was too hard to think about.

The receptionist's heartstrings were tugged at the "heart wrenching story" of the pitiable prodigy. Born in an unfortunate family. Needing to sacrifice her life and future in a chance to reclaim honor and pride she had lost to claim the right to live.

With tears in her eyes and the Gray Ember slowly lowering from the ceiling, the receptionist pulled out a note covered in a layer of dust, "He—here are the rules of… handling the Gray Ember. Once it is in your possession, it cannot be taken out of the Mountain. It cannot be given to any fellow disciple. Any desire to leave the mountain would require the return of the Gray Ember, failure to comply would mean immediate seizure of the treasure and solitary confinement and a Trial. Second, the Gray Ember can only be possessed until the time of the first the disciple's right age arrives.Third, the—"

There were many issues regarding the handling of the Gray Ember. it was more complicated than anyone would have thought. Some of the rules were actually quite difficult to follow, having limitations one would find difficult to understand where it begins and ends. it was all made difficult to understand in between the sniffling of the receptionist.

Eventually, it did end with the descent of the Gray Ember.

"Here is the Gray Ember."

Grabbing hold of it, Ame felt something odd about the Gray Ember. Suddenly, it flickered and then moved.

'It's… something quite bizarre.' Amedid not understand how, but she could hear a whisper of the lie behind those flames.

The lass smiled at the flames before keeping it away.

Lightly bowing to show her appreciation to the receptionist, Ame left with wind on her feet. People looked at her weird and pitiful for wasting so many points. There were those who were envious of her getting her hands on such powerful treasures. But many more saw her as foolish and impulsive.

Her actions proved that a prodigy in martial arts did not translate to being smart.

Nevertheless, Ame did not mind their eyes. She had never been bothered by them when she arrived. And they would not affect her now.

[Outer Disciple Living Quarters]

The Outer Disciple Living Quarters was as its name suggests.

There were seven mountains in total and each had seven peaks. Each Mountain was separated into three layers. The closer one was to the mountain foot the weaker the disciple.

Ame was a new recruit who had not spent half a year in the mountains. Obviously she was living at the foot of the mountain where she was guided to.

That didn't mean Ame was not the strongest person in the Mountain. No, she already defeated the owner of the Mountain Peak before she even decided to join the Tournament. No, she just chose not to leave her house for convenience.

"The peak is too far away. It's a hassle to go up there everyday. I'll just take the lowest level. It reminds me of home anyway." These were her words after beating the leader of the mountain peak. So she was still living in a thatch house despite having won the Tournament earlier the present year.

Walking towards her abode, Ame's mind was already processing what to expect with the Gray Ember.

'This gray flame is called the Gray Ember because they do not know what it is called. But, I know what this is. These flames are exactly the flames of the son of the Tyrant Blood Knight.'

The Nether Flames. That was the name of these gray flames and it came from the Guardian Beast of the world of the dead, the Celestial Nether Phoenix.

'The Twin Hellflame Knights were powerful enough to defeat the Ancient Sky Union after getting ahold of these flames. If I can get these flames, then that power will be mine, hehehehe.'

The Gray Ember was already one of Ame's goals the very moment she laid her eyes upon it when they were being guided around the Mountain. The idea of controlling the Nether Flames was enough to make her excited.

However, a question remained in Ame's mind, 'But, I wonder. How did the Nether Flames find its way here? I heard a Celestial Phenomena occurred when that brat was born. Hmm, I wonder, how did this come to be?'

A shrug of a shoulder was the only answer she could give to the many questions.

'Well, who cares.'

A question without an answer was nothing but a headache.

It would be best to just toss it at the back of her mind.

"What are you smiling about?"

"Ugh." a groan escaped Ame as soon as she heard a familiar voice.

In front of her house was a girl. She stood straight with an elegant posture. Her hair crimson and lustrous as though they were flames dancing with the billowing wind.

She was a familiar face. An all too familiar face that frequently bothered Ame for the past months, "Yang Mei, what do you want?"

"Why do you sound so exasperated, Ame? You speak as though I am always bothering you!" her cheeks puffed like chipmunks feeling wronged by the little girl's words.

She was Yang Mei, the same Yang Mei Ame defeated in the finals of the Tournament.

She was one of the most prospective prodigy who reached Spirit Realm before the age of 15. She was a powerful lass with a long and lustrous future ahead of her.

This genius had become Ame's only friend in the Mountain.

"Alright, forgive me for my egregiousness." a cheeky chortle escaped Ame before continuing, "What is it? Want another duel? Well, prepare a bet first."

"No, I am not seeking a bout. That can be done for another day. No, I actually have a letter that was delivered to me for you. Even the mail couriers are afraid of you because of your bad rapport. Senior Sisters Mirh and Ris are out of the Mountain on a mission so it fell on me to hand it to you." explained Yang Mei.

"A letter? Who is it from?"

"I do not know. But they say it is urgent. It has the golden seal so it must have been from someone of high status. Just rea—it."

Ame was quick to receive the letter from Yang Mei. Thanking her as she opened the letter.

As embarrassing as it was, Ame knew practically no one outside of the Mountain.

So that could only mean that the letter was from her family. Considering it was someone from high status, could only mean it meant it came from their parents.

'Kiel wants to act a penny pincher and he has no interest in gaining lordship or becoming the Town Lord so this can't be him. That can only mean this is from Father and Mother. Does this mean they have already returned?"

Her excitement grew as the moment passed. She quickly read the letter and her smile became sneer reading the first words.

It was not a letter from her parents.

She grew annoyed.

"Kiel became a Family Head? What the hell does that mean? He doesn't even have a friend. So how can that happen?" The disbelief in her voice spoke volumes of her emotions.

She wanted to stop, but, skimming through the next words, Ame's expressions flipped.

From annoyance to that of worry.

Soon, her face darkened and quickly, she kept the letter away in her dimensional bangles

"Ame? What's wrong?"

"I need to go back home."

"What? Did something happen?"

"I don;t know. But… my brother. I don't have time to explain.

Without wasting any more time, she brought out the Gray Ember and overloaded it with spirit energy causing the bubble to react violently and fly back to the Golden Tide Temple.

Without anything on her person, the ground beneath Ame cracked as she leapt away heading for the nearest gate so that she could leave.

Yang Mei watched Ame leaving and after contemplating how she should react, the young genius called out to her, "Wait!" She left to follow and help Ame.

As for what Ame read?

It was a simple message that came from a woman named Luca. It read as follows;

[Young Miss Ame, my name is Luca and I serve the Jura Family and I wish to inform you that your brother, Kiel, has officially become the Head of the Jura Family as per the will of the previous Family Head. The current Family Head wishes not the Young Miss to be disturbed, but, as his servant who is about to embark on a journey. I cannot leave the Family Head in this state of uncertainty. I ask the Young Miss to please meet with me so that we may find a way to help him because if we do not. I fear that he may not be long for this world.]

 
===
Tak!

With a laugh, Irys cheekily towards the ever calm Kiel, "Yihihi, at last, your undefeated title shall be erased from history! Your downfall is at hand, let it be known that it was I, Jura Irys, who has defeated you!"

A light laugh came from Kiel, "You should control your confidence, you know?"

"Hehehe, what overconfidence? Why are you scared? Are you afraid that Irys has now lifted the bandage of your pitiful defences! I am not overconfident my dear friend! This is plain and simple, the right amount of confidence of someone who is about to defeat you! YIHAHAHAHAHA!"

"Don't laugh so hard, you're going to hurt yourself."

Despite his warnings, Irys did not listen. She laughed to her heart's desires without a single care. Kiel let out a light sigh. But he was not tired. He was not even angry or irritated.

He was calm.

Under the sun playing a game with his friend. A laughter filled the air, it was peaceful..

"Why aren't you making a move? Cornered, aren't you?" another peal of laughter escaped the jovial ball of sunshine.

'It is time to win.'

Kiel lifted his piece.

"Huh? What the matter?"

Asked Irys when there was no longer a sound coming from her friend. Her smile slightly dropped as her brows raised in concern.

"Kiel? Why aren't you answering me? Are you still there? D-did you leave me? Where are you?"

Kiel could not answer.

He could not move.

Everything had gone out of control

He could not eke out a sound

His breathing paused.

His body did not listen to his commands. No matter how much effort he exerted. No matter how he willed over it.

Kiel could not move.

Robbed of everything, he stayed there. His eyes wide open, made to watch the towering figure of a blue demon approach Irys from behind.

"Kiel? Where are you?"

Irys was none the wiser of its existence. Desperately, she searched for Kiel. Desperately, she reached out to not be alone once more.

The Blue Demon stood behind her and raised its ax high up into the air. The sun gleaming down.

'Move… move….' Kiek ordered his body, but it would not listen.

'Run!!'

No matter how loud he screamed, nothing came out.

"Kiel…I can't hear you; I'm scared… please… answer m—"

The ax descended.

He showered in her blood, and as Irys' head rolled, her lifeless eyes directed at him.

"Why…" Her voice was drowned by the overflowing blood as she asked, "Why didn't you save me?"

"No. I—"

SLASH!

A second later from his periphery, Kiel saw the ax of the Blue Demon coming to take his head.

"!!!!" Kiel opened his eyes at the fifth hour.

His body was drenched in cold sweat.

His face as white as a sheet of paper.

Kiel's mental fortitude stood the test of time in all senses of the word.

"Is it that nightmare again?"

"…Yes."

"… you're losing yourself, Ye Feng. You need help."

"No… I… I'm fine." he answered as he released a deep exhale, "...I need to prepare for the day. The Fourth Month of the Year is coming. I need to hunt for food.."

"We already have enough."

Underneath the house was a hole covered by a heavy stone slab. The hold was the entrance to a deep cave. On its walls were runes of cooling and preservation to keep the collection of high-class carcasses of beasts seen only in myths.

Until a month ago, Kiel used the food they left behind. But he stopped and opted to hunt for his meal.

With uneven steps, he left carrying only a stick he picked up.

Moo!

"Good morning, Bula."

Kiel greeted Bula as he reached out its hand and the ox leaned forward to be patted.

It should be in the stables. But Bula had already learned the concept of leaving and staying.

A week after his parents left, Kiel decided to teach it as a means of passing the time. It took two months but Bula learned how to go to and fro the pen on set times.

Presently, Bula could now respond to basic commands. Additionally, Ouroboros was doing some testing.

"It appears that she has not yet developed the ability to call upon spirit energy. I may need to develop a new kind of cultivation method. But she needs to be automatic as she does not know the concept of manual circulation."

Claimed the serpent.

"Good girl, patrol the area while I am gone, would you?"

With a bellow, Bula left and circled the small hill where their house stood as though it was a guard dog on duty.

[Eastern Forest]

Crossing the tree line, anyone would think it was just another forest. An unassuming land filled with spirit beasts and spirit plants.

But the Eastern Forest was Noah's

Over at East, there was a forest. It was part of an even bigger forest so big that its center was thousands of kilometers deep.

Inside this Forest, there existed mysterious Spirit Beasts not listed in any records.

The Forest in and of itself did not have a name. Neither did it have any recorded past from the surrounding towns.

It simply existed under the watch of a creature known only as the Eastern King.

The deeper the Forest the more powerful the Spirit Beast became.

"How deep are you going this time?" asked a worried Ouroboros.

To which Kiel responded with the same tone as ever, "2 kilometers."

Without cultivation and armed with a stick and his past experience, Kiel could head as deep past 2 kilometers.

But he was currently heavily injured.

Over half his veins were ruptured. He was still experiencing internal bleeding and his muscles were sore and on the brink of tearing.

"You're going to die."

To stand in his state was already an impossibility. It could be called an anomaly of this

"I won't die."

"YES! YOU! WILLLLLLLLLL!"

"Hu—ughhhhhhhhhhhh????"

A shrill voice echoed in Kiel's head and before he could turn to see who it was, a knee already arrived and hit him on the side of his head.

His feet left the ground as he went flying across the air, crashing on the nearest tree. The pain that he had suppressed assailed his senses and his closing wounds opened wide as blood rushed out his mouth.

"What are you do—um!@#$!@#!"

Kiel's voice was muffled as a little girl stuffed his mouth with a pill and forced him to ingest it. He tried to fight back, but he was already too weak and before he knew it, he had already ingested the medicine.

With his head still on the ground, he got a good look on his "assailant's" face. Despite her violence, she had with her a very cute face. Her plump and rosy cheeks, her fair skin and radiant attitude.

"Ame?" Kiel was in shock seeing her, "What are you doing here?"

To see Ame was the last he expected. She just left to go on a journey and she had not even sent a letter since she left. Not to mention, the Celestial Phoenix Mountain was more than a month away from where they lived.

His confusion was not taken with a light heart.

"What am I doing here? That is not the question here, no. The question is, why are you going against your words!? Trying to die all of a sudden."

"What? Die? What are you talking about?"

"Don't act like you don't know. I heard all about it! You go for weeks without eating! Going out for hunts when you are severely injured. Not to mention refusing to take your medicines!"

"I don't need medicines. I am all right, Am—"

"Are you really going to lie to me? I already heard everything from your servant Luca. Not to mention you became the head of an aristocratic family?! Argh, what have you been doing all this time!? On the brink of death an—hey! I know that look. Don't get all huffy now, the poor girl was just worried about you."

"We'll talk about this at home."

"Bu—"

"Shut it, you're in the wrong, you have no right to speak."

"I can stand on my o—"

"Again, no right to speak."

Picking up her brother like a sack of rice, Ame carried Kiel back into their house.

"You're going to be eating today. So I'm going to cook. While I'm cooking, think about your little excuses, collect them all then burn them because I'm going to need only the truth"

Ame did ask, she simply does,

"You see this? We have a lot of food in the storage. The Qilin Isn't even finished yet. Hunting for food, what a load of bull."

Going down the storage, picking up meat to be cooked.

"While the congee cooks I'll… hmm, everything is relatively clean. I also saw Bula already grazing. You kept everything clean and tidy despite everything else. Good job, Kiel."

Kind words that were often attributed as harsh and rude.

"I have not had sleep for the past ten days so you best not lie. So, you want to talk about it or do you want to talk about it?"

Putting everything in the family even above her dreams and aspirations.

"What are you smiling about!? You are in big trouble here. I'm the one in charge right now, got it!"

When everyone had no idea how to deal with Kiel, there was one person who could smack sense into him in all senses of the word — his sister.

No one in this world knew him better

"I… can no longer cry."

Before the one who knew him. Where lies but unnecessary fillers for the truth

But his truth was rendered in a shadow. He was too direct for anyone listening in to understand.

His confession rang true and Ame believed him. He did not speak in riddles, nor did he speak in tongues. Simply put he was honest. It was too direct for others. But enough for Ame to understand.

"Since my… friend passed. Only once did I shed tears. Only for so long was I angry. Only for so long did I grieve. I don't know if I am even sad about her death. Why… can't I grieve like other people?"

The truth was easily taken out. But his words were not merely an answer but an inquiry to be answered.

He who held the greatest secrets of time's past now held a question for the present.

A heartbeat swelled in trepidation. His breath held awaiting an answer, no, a confirmation of what he sought.

He wanted to hear vilification. To be called wrong so that he may choose a path. To move forward so that he could show the time they shared.

Kiel wanted to be wrong so that his mistakes could be right.

But he was not shouted at nor was he called wrong. In his desperate wait, a flick on the forehead pulled him from the water of his own swirling thoughts.

All he saw was a pair of eyes looking at him softly, "What is wrong with that?"

There was no vilification.

There was no correction.

There was no answer to the question.

Because she knew he was not wrong, "Grieve like others? Of course you can't grieve with others. But it does not mean that you are not hurt. You already shed tears. You were in pain.

"Stop punishing yourself."

"What? I'm not doing that. I'm not stupid, I know punishing myself will not change anything. So why would I do something so foolish?" Her words brought true shame in his heart, "To think you would see my actions like that. I really have fallen so far, huh."

"You claim to hold a wellspring of knowledge, and I believe that, I do. But I think that only works on observing people. You can probably deduce a crime. You can foil schemes. But I am about 102 percent sure you will not know why they actually do something outside of greed and malice. If it makes you feel any better, that percentage has a 2 percent margin of error. Which makes it all the more confusing because you are temperamental and emotional… which is paradoxical considering how you normally are.

"You cannot see through your own actions. You believe they mean one thing, but its essence is another. I am a thief, I have to know who is vulnerable. I have to know how to talk to others. And from what I see, you are punishing yourself. Making sure you are hurting. Making sure the pain does not disappear because you are afraid. You already question why you cannot grieve like other people. Now tell me where that's coming from."

"I'm not."

"I'm not, what? You are afraid of something, right? I can tell from your voice. What is it?" pressed Ame with her eyes no longer holding softness.

"I am not afraid of anything. I have nothing to be afraid of. You know this."

"I don't mean in this world. I mean about yourself. You are hiding something. Tell me, what do you want?"

"I already told you everything Ame. I have nothing more to tell you."

"I can tell when you are lying Kiel. I know you have more to tell me. Tell me why you want to grieve like others. Why do you keep hurting yourself? Why are you doing all of this!?"

"I don't know!?" an outburst came from Kiel, "I don't know what I want? I don't know what I need to do. I don't know if I am doing this because I want to punish myself. I don't know anything. This twisting feeling in my chest. The constant lump in my throat that does not disappear. The feeling of not being able to scream. I do not know! And I don't want to know, because what if… what if this is not normal? What if this is the sign that I am not fit to live with you and my parents? What if I can't cry if you die? What if I cannot muster any strength when I need to protect you? What if… what… What will I do if I can't prove that I loved you… that I cared for Father and Mother… then… then… I… why did I even live?"

To appear in this new reality was due to his search for a chance to live. If in the years he spent, what connection he made did he remain empty.

The reason for living was nothing more than a sham.

"You are not perfect, Kiel." interjected Ame in the midst of his chaotic confession, "And that what makes you alive. You did what you could while trying to keep your promise to yourself and our family. Even if you hold the answer in the palm of your hands. You will never be able to answer everything perfectly. The only thing that matters is what you have already done. There are no more ifs. Only what you did. So, carrying the promises you made, keeping the convictions you've made, with all of that in mind, I ask, did you spend everything to save them?"

"...I did."

"Then that is what you need to think about. You have done enough, Kiel."

Her words were enough to steady the tumultuous emotions that raged inside.

Kiel's efforts and sacrifice for Irys had already been acknowledged by everyone but only now did he accept it himself.

===
"Your body should be stronger than me right now by at least thirty seven times and yet you cannot even touch me. What are you doing? Waiting to be turned into a corpse?"

"Shut up! If I can use my spirit energy then—"

"This entire thing would have been a useless endeavor."

Ame and Kiel "spar" against each other on the entrance of the forest. The both of then did not use any spirit energy. Or rather, Ame was not allowed to use it as she tried to catch Kiel who was dodging her every attempt with minimal movements which infuriated Ame who thought the gap between them had lessened.

"Why the hell are you better at movement now!?"

"I regained some sharpness when I fought in a life and death battle. And, look out for the spear." answered Kiel as he leisurely raised the stick in his hand and pointed it at Ame's head, stopping her advance.

"Fuck you and your stupid stick!" Ame weaved through his attempt and from the side grabbed the stick to stop Kiel from moving.

Finally, Ame saw an opening. She only needed to take half a step forward and—

'Why am I looking at the night sky?'A magnificent crash followed the question, "I lost, huh?"

Ame calmly assessed before erupting into a rage and punching the air like a maniac a second later, "Dammit, that was worse than those other times…did I get worse?"

"No, you've definitely gotten stronger. Your movement is more compact and your attacks precise. But you are too used to fighting people who are weaker than you so you have no means of actually bypassing my defenses without using special means. In other words?"

"I am used to quickly dispatching of my enemy." a realization came to Ame.

The simple words of her brother and the stinging pain on her back was enough proof, 'I am getting too full of myself. In the first place, I am only overpowering them because of our gap in experience. I am just another adult throwing myself

"Playing those who are weaker than you can be treated as a game. So unless you stand at the peak, you must always be prepared. Your fights right now are not helping you. I can already see that there is no one in your level and you are not fighting stronger people, so it would be for the best if you decide to limit your abilities and restrain your usage of spirit energy. However, that can also result in habits that might get you killed so I will suggest yo—"

Crack!

SWOOSH!

Crimson flames erupted from Ame's body at the sound of an unknown owner's footsteps.

"Show yourself." the little girl demanded, "I thought I told the Lord not to let anyone approach us or I will burn his manor down."

From behind a tree a lady walked out. She was shaking whilst drenched in sweat, "E-easy now… I mean no harm."

"Yang Mei!? Dammit, I almost killed you just now. What are you doing sneaking around like that!?" Ame retracted her flames and sighed, "Sorry about that."

"I wasn't really trying to… I was just worried about interrupting your sparring.. I just… could not find a way to enter."

"Sparring? That? If you just saw that, then how could you call that sparring? I was being beaten and toyed." a sigh of defeat escamed Ame.

"Watch your tone and words. Ame, Mother taught you better than that." Kiel scolded.

"And she taught us not to be stupid. Yet here we are." Ame retorted with a grin.

"....anyway, more importantly."

"Hey! Don't ignore me when I have the upper hand!" an angry little Ame demanded not be ignored.

Watching them argue was Yang Mei who kept the incredulous expression with her.

'What just happened?' Yang Mei was unsure what she just witnessed.

Yang Mei and Ame became somewhat close after their fight in the Tournament.

Yang Mei was born in the prestigious Yang Family. She was hailed as a prodigy, someone who appears every thousand years.

She reached True Spirit Realm before she turned 13 and was touted to stand at the peak with her older sister.

Then a little girl arrived with an attitude that did not allow look down on her humble origins.

That little girl was only 7 years of age and she already stepped at the Spirit Realm. Furthermore, her fighting skills were far ahead of what Yang Mei had seen. Eventually, even she was defeated.

She was upset, but later she learned that Ame gave her a one of a kind medicine and her words. It took some time, but when Yang Mei encountered Ame running away from the Golden Sword Society, the two of them fought together and even had to escape together.

A week of fighting and watching each other's backs was enough to get them close enough.

They spent time together, even sparring at times. But mostly bickering at the pettiest of things.

Ame became Yang Mei's friend as well as rival.

Yang Mei respected Ame's skills and the effort she put behind it. She had thought that Ame was a goal she needed to reach. That she was a wall that she had to surmount and overcome.

She saw Ame as the greatest talent she had ever seen in her entire life.

Ame's achievements only further proved this way of thinking.

Ame was already someone whose power and skills were recognized as one of the top talents of the Celestial Phoenix Mountain.

No one could beat her yet she was being toyed with by someone else.

Someone who looked the same age as Ame. She managed to gather enough points for the Gray Flames she had been eyeing and then threw it all away for a letter.

She gave it all up to return home so she could check on her brother. Worried, Yang Mei joined her to Ame's dismay.

They spent a month travelling from the sect to Ame's hometown.

They encountered bandits and Spirits Beasts, dangers Yang Mei did not even imagine. There were schemes and plots they uncovered and even managed to antagonize the Second Son of the Dangun Family. Something that would have made the past Yang Mei sweat with bullets but now found amusing.

In their journey, Yang Mei and Ame grew closer with each other. They talked about their lives and their families and the question was raised.

"What kind of person is your brother?"

It was an innocent question.

But the woman they were traveling with, Luca, and even Ame grew oddly silent for a good minute before finding the words to describe this mysterious brother..

"Weak."

"Strong."

Ame and Luca gave two answers. Two polar opposite answers.

Ame claimed her brother was weak.

Luca claimed he was strong.

None argued over the other claiming both to truth in their own right.

Yang Mei's curiosity about the brother shrouded in mystique.

When the three arrived at Ame's hometown, she immediately left, leaving talking with the Lord as Yang Mei's and Luca's responsibility.

Yang Mei did not complain and chose to rest on a bed for what felt like months. She woke up and it was already night. Quickly, she sought out Ame and this mysterious brother.

Their house was empty and though many thoughts raced in her mind, all was erased when the sound of a young girl's battlecry echoed in the nearby forest.

"Ame? Is she fighting with someone? The brother!"

Yang Mei approached wanting to see the face of his brother. When she arrived, her first impression was shock and awe because the person she recognized as her goal was being tossed like a ragdoll.

"Dammit! Stop running around!" Ame screamed in frustration, dashing towards the boy opposite of her.

Many of her attempts to land a hit were foiled. She was parried, countered, even simply dodged. Ame was beginning to get frustrated but still patient and then an opportunity showed itself.

An opening appeared and with a smile of pure excitement, she moved into the boy's range and slipped past the stick he had been using to keep his distance. Her movement was precise, not lacking in any way, managing to even trap his weapon, and in the same

Her "victory" was at hand. And yet, it did not come to pass. The boy made his move at the same time as Ame. He stepped forward and with his right leg swept Ame's feet off the ground and with his right hand twisted the stick in the same direction she was falling over and then using the momentum of her movement and lack of stability as well as hold on the ground, the boy threw Ame into the sky with relative ease.

Ame was strong. No one could argue otherwise.

But against the boy?

She was weak.

'How is this possible? Ame, she's being treated like she doesn't even know how to fight.' Yang Mei was in disbelief.

The aura of mystery around the boy only became stronger. She was curious, she wanted to know and understand. So she stepped forward.

Crack.

And then she made a sound.

Not even a second later, Ame reacted, but before her fiery reaction. There was another.

Opposite of Ame's, there was a cold and silent intent that besotted Yang Mei from all sides. When she stepped out of hiding, what greeted her was a pair of eyes that did not seem human.

A beast in human clothing, that's the only thing she could think of to comprehend it.

A beast that had grabbed her by the throat. Not letting her breath unless she wanted death to hold her by the foot and be dragged to the otherside.

And the beast's only intention was to protect the little girl by his side.

How did Yang Mei know?

Because the split second Ame acknowledged Yang Mei's identity, it disappeared like it had never been.

His eyes were replaced by a soft slight.

The apprehensiveness with a welcoming smile.

Yang Mei knew that this boy was Ame's twin. Their facial features were the same, yes. Ame's was just a tad bit vigorous, but something else tied them together.

The danger that lay under a veil.

'Just… who are they truly?' a question was raised, but something inside Yang Mei whispered to her that she would never get an answer.

"Lady Yang Mei? Are you all right?"

A hand appeared before Yang Mei. Ame's brother had somehow offered his hand to help Yang Mei get up who had fallen to her behind without knowing.

"Tha—thank you." Though hesitant, Yang Mei chose to accept his offer to get up.

The aura she felt before was no longer present. It was confounding how he could switch so quickly, 'Is he dangerous or not?'

Kiel was quick to retract himself, keeping a step away of distance from Yang Mei soon after noticing her expression before smiling softly at the lady, "I apologize for my lack of decorum and the ugliness that I allowed you to witness. Even if I did not know you were Ame's friend, it is still wrong of me. Please, accept my apology."

Yang Mei was taller than Kiel by a significant amount. His way of dressing was normal with no elaborate designs or anything of the sorts.

"It's okay."

"Bah, stop acting like you're a saint, you're confusing her. She already felt your killing intent before." Ame harped from the side.

Kiel sigh before giving his sister a look of disappointment, "This is why you have poor perception, Ame. Just because they see you as one thing, you don't have to play that role all the way through. I thought she was an enemy, now, I do not. Therefore I have no need to treat her as one."

"Bullshit, let them think what they want to think. You can't control what they think. And even if you do have an amicable figure. One mistake, one scheme, one misunderstanding will make it crumble to the abyss." argued back to Ame with misplaced obstinance.

"Let us not argue about matters we already have answers to. More importantly, are you not going to introduce me to your friend?"

A pout came and went as Ame begrudgingly introduced each other, "Kiel, this is Yang Mei she likes to fight and show off—I also owe her my life. Yang Mei, this is my twin brother Kiel, he's a know-it-all."

"Oh? You saved Ame's life? You have my deepest of gratitudes." Kiel gave Yang Mei a deep bow to show his sincerity.

"I am Yang Mei from the Yang Family and she's exaggerating." Yang Mei had his lift his head saying that it was nothing, "She helped me countless times as well. Even a week ago she saved my life when we encountered the Blade Storm Wielder."

"But still, please, accept my genuine show of appreciation. I do not have much in my person, but, I would like to properly host you in our home." Kiel displayed to her a soft smile before motioning to Ame, "We should end training with this as well. Ame, lead her to the house and show her hospitality. I will follow you shortly after."

Ame observed Kiel and with a shrug had Yang Mei follow her, "Let's go, I'll give you something nice."

Kiel watched them walk away with a smile on his face. In the increasing darkness of the forest, he opened his mouth to speak, "I know you're there, Miss Luca.."

From the shadow of the tree behind Kiel stepped out a beautiful woman with a scar going down her neck disappearing to her dress. It was Luca who had been watching over Kiel and Ame since their first interaction. But she never showed her face to Kiel.

Now that she had stepped out of the shadow, Luca was already on one knee to show respect to the one hailed as the new family head, "I await punishment for my actions."

"Punishment? What for?"

"I stepped out of line and meddled into the Family Head's affairs when you said I shouldn't…."

"Was right." Kiel cut her off before she could say anything. Kiel looked at Luca without any sort of malice or negative intent, instead, it was soft, the same way he showed Ame and Yang Mei, "Thank you for bringing Ame to tell me off."

No one could go against Kiel.

Luca could not get through him and was left powerless.

The only possible way to get through Kiel was his sister. Luca only knew about Ame from rumors and how Kiel talked about her. So it was a gamble.

It was a success.

"Are you crying?" Kiel asked when he noticed the tears on Luca's eyes.

"I'm… just happy that… I was of used to the Family Head." She spoke of Kiel, but her words were layered.

Kiel could only smile at Luca as he patted her on the back, "You were of help… you were of great help. Thank you."

After a great while Kiel returned to his family home with Luca where they ate Ame's "masterpiece" while telling stories.

Kiel, Ame, and Luca visited Irys' grave.

It was kept pristine and in perfect condition.

Kiel had been taking care of it as best he could when he had the time.

There was nothing left to say. Kiel stood there in a daze,

"Thank you for being my brother's friend. I wish we could have met each other." These were Ame's simple words.

Luca offered fresh flowers to replace the old.

"How did you two become friends?" Ame raised a question as they stood before Irys' grave.

"It is all by chance. Jiang, the doctor from the Town Lord's Manor, offered to treat my injuries then he tried to coerce me into becoming her friend. I was going to leave, but she turned out to be more interesting than I could have ever imagined…"

There was a smile when he spoke. A soft light in his eyes as he remembered the past.

Kiel lived through the past through the memories they shared.

"...she was stronger than what I could ever be."

Seeing the light in Kiel, Ame lightly tapped her brother's shoulder and asked, "...can you tell me more about her?"

"Of course." to which Kiel readily obliged.

Ame spent three days back home with Kiel. The two caught up to each other and then trained.

Kiel offered some lessons to Luca and even pointed out some things with Yang Mei who was just as thankful as she was confused about the boy's abilities and his reason for not cultivating.

[Third Night]

"Kiel, we're leaving. I can't imagine how the Mountain will react to us leaving with little to no warnings. I might only be able to return and write a letter in a few months or even a year."

"I see… take care, Ame."

The twins looked at each other and Ame without much words. Then all of a sudden, Ame tightly hugged Kiel.

[Kiel, I worry about you.]

[What's with that all of a sudden? Because of you, I'm fine now. If you're worried about my health, no one can take my life. I will continue living until our family is reunited. And if someone tries to stop me from achieving that. Then… I do not mind becoming a hypocrite and going back on my words.]

[I know how strong you are. I'm not talking about physical strength.]

Ame was well aware of his strength.

Killing Kiel was a nigh impossible task. Unless there was an Ascended being to kill him in his mortal vessel, he would live. He will win. He will live.

But there was one thing she was worried about, "Don't be swallowed by yourself."

[...I'm fine.]

They parted, but to Ame who understood Kiel, she was well aware that he was lying.

But she did not say anything and chose to trust Kiel.

The two finally separated and Ame was the first to leave followed by Yang Mei and then Luca.

"Ame, you said your brother was weak."

"I did, what of it?"

"You said that but you can't even land a hit on him."

Finally, Yang Mei asked just as Kiel was disappearing from their view.

Ame turned around and looked at her twin brother one more time and saw him waving at her before giving an answer, "He is strong physically, yes… well, but in another sense, he's fragile."

Soon, time would pass. Kiel would live his life.

He would resume waiting for his family.

With time his body would start to heal and with time.

Seasons began to change.

The moon would turn to blood and beasts would crawl to kill.

And as years come and go.

As Kiel's body changes and grows.

Thirteen Years would have already pass and Kiel was still alone.

0