The Plan
35 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The best inn in Everwinter, Cat Hat

 

Though it’s called the best inn, as expected of the small country of snow and migrants, the competition are not fierce.
Different from other inn, which consisted of lines of bunk-bed in a wide hall, the Cat Hat provide individual room and bare minimal furniture of bed, desk and chair.
Well in the end it was true that this is the best inn in town.

While Miakami thought of such useless trivia, he waits outside for their planned “New Guy Celebration”
Incidentally, he is waiting for Charis with Arden, but not breaking his character, his expression unchanging and the aura around him tells Miakami to shut up, to wait and to shut up.

[Is his mother an ice spirit or something? His facial nerve must be fried by how much he tensed that fa--- I mean, the snow is white doesn’t it hahaha]
Midway through his rude though, Arden suddenly glares at him cutting such thought short.

[Wait! What the hell? Why am I interrupted in my own mind!?]

Before Miakami manage to think another mind retort, the inn’s door creaked open, revealing a silver haired boy wearing a Kufuku-sque poncho.

 

“Oouu been waiting, young man Charis, where should we three dudes go for dinner tonight?”
Hearing such weird greeting, Charis’ face contorted with cringe.
“….Miakami-san, that was so awkward it pains me. Please shut up”
“……..”
[Great, now both master and servant is bullying me… am I making the right choice here?]
While making such thought, they went to the nearest restaurant to celebrate their encounter.

“Alright, so why are you guys in Everwinter?”
“Straight to the topic aren’t we?”
After ordering their food, Miakami immediately asks

“We are tracking someone.”
Hearing her response Miakami furrowed his brow.

 

Everwinter is a small city-state with less than a thousand people, but searching for someone would be far difficult than expected.

The people who manage to migrate here were either fugitives, outcasts, heretics, or even cult members, and all of them has strength to get through the Hollow Forest.
Naturally, they doesn’t speak outright from which is their origin from nor the path they thread to get here.

Coupled with the unsaid rule to never probe deep into someone’s past, Miakami doesn’t even sure that even half his acquaintance is using their real name.

 

“That will be far too difficult, princess. Except the local tribe, no one here would want you snooping around their background.
Why do you have to go such length?”

Hearing Miakami’s doubt, Charis ponder for a while before proceeds to explain.

Charis and Arden, having fled from Academy City are searching for a way to take back the throne.
She has a ‘just cause’ as a legitimate royalty fighting against a rebelling tyrant, but unfortunately, not the strength to back it up.

“Then why don’t you work together with nobles from Arishtail, instead endangering your life through the Hollow Forest for some guy which may not be alive?”

 

Before Charis answered, Arden suddenly break his silence and response to his inquiry.
“We are being hunted, we can’t leisurely settle down and build up a faction slowly. Our hope are decisive victory with small number of elite unit”

Hearing the hurried interruption from Arden, both Miakami and Charis furrowed their brows
[That explains nothing. Rather, why are you furrowing your eyebrows to, princess? Isn’t this your plan from the start?]

Miakami is confused by such plan. Charis should has many connection, national or international alike. Isn’t it more efficient, building for their force openly, rather than embark on this wild goose chase?
But at that time, he locked eye with Arden for a moment, and in that cold, black pupil of his, he see not only determination, but also …fear.

“….The enemy is powerful enough to break your straightforward methods ........I guess?”

 

Your guess are on the mark, and with that Charis supplement his explanation.
Charis’ former resident, the Academy City, are an independent state created for the sole purpose of gathering of humanity’s knowledge, and serve as an important facility to nurture children of royalties and nobles of many countries.
And for that purpose, the 5 major country are in tacit agreement to maintain its neutral stance, and also contribute to its security heavily.

It wasn’t an exaggeration to call the Academy City as the safest place on Filia.

 

“At the time when I was studying, some time before the coup happen, the academy actually almost fell to the hand of terrorists, and I only knew it later that their target was my, the sole royal survivor’s, death…” She said with a gloomy face.

[Which mean, she’s sure that the terrorist incident and the coup are the deed of the same mastermind?]

 

Feeling she can’t drag others over her problem, she choose to hide, because if the combined security force of 5 major power unable to stop the incident from happening, mere army of some noble she manage to rally would not suffice.

 

[I see… she may overestimate her enemy tho–Wait? Something’s off by her story?]
Miakami felt some incongruity point in Charis’ story, but can’t quite wrap his finger around it. Arden's glare also doesn’t help this line of thoughts, so for now Miakami choose to accepts her explanation for now.

 

 

While finally seeing their food came out, Miakami asks another question before digging in.

“Alright I get the plan for now. So? Who are we searching for?”

Charis respond with a small smile,

“The Khabel Maiden, Seer Reshira”

 

........Who?

 


The reason why Miakami felt off is, if the coup and terrorism is truly related, how is taking the throne and killing Charis related?
Find out next time!

2