Arc I – Chapter 02: Preparing for the Hunt
877 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stretching my body, I slowly opened my eyes, only to see nothing but darkness.

I probably forgot to turn on the lamp.

I tried to reach for my cell phone on the dresser beside the bed, but all my hand touched was the rough floor.

That's strange...

I tried to get out of bed, but strangely enough, I was lying on the floor on a pile of leaves. Dazed and sleepy, I looked from side to side only for my heart to almost stop beating.

Not far from me, a pair of yellow eyes were floating in the darkness as they stared intensely at me.

"Shit!" I screamed unconsciously.

With delayed reflexes, I jumped up in fright as I tried to run, but because I was still groggy, I tripped over my own feet and fell, beating my chest on the ground.

Approaching me quickly, the yellow eyes seemed to get bigger and bigger.

It was only then that the owner of those eyes became visible in the dim light coming through the gap in the doorway. It was a green, skeletal creature of small stature with pointed teeth.

"Stay away from me!"

I cried out reflexively as I tried to get up, but with my body shaking uncontrollably, all I could do was fall back on my face.

Luckily for me, the strange creature seemed to have understood what I said and walked away.

As I tried to control my trembling legs, my mind slowly came back to reality.

I was not dreaming, I really came to another world.

With a sense of relief as I recovered from the fright, I stretched out on the floor and sighed.

I guess it was to be expected that I would wake up stunned in the middle of the night, after all, I almost died yesterday. Not to mention that when I fell asleep it was still daylight.

This place is dangerous, even if I wanted to hunt down a lot of monsters, I should have followed Shadow-san's advice. I think that if I had chosen a place near a city as an arrival point, I would be safer.

I thought I could get strong quickly if I came to a place with weak monsters, but it's not that simple. My thoughts were too naive, I shouldn't have tried to follow the footsteps of the protagonists who get strong after they fell into a region full of monsters.

No matter how careful I am, these creatures are very dangerous.

Under Rin's curious gaze, I slowly stood up and returned to my leaves bed, where I sat with my back against the rocks of the wall.

"Come here," I held out my hand to her.

Coming up to me, Rin kept her head down, probably worried that I would yell at her again.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you."

I stroked her rough, bald head.

Even if she didn't quite understand my words, she understood my intentions. With the timid look of a sorry puppy, she rubbed her head against me. But soon her expression changed to one full of expectation.

She probably wants food.

I wonder if all goblins are hungry like this?

"Despite having a small, skinny body, you eat a lot."

I took two loaves of bread from my inventory and gave them to her.

Devouring the buns quickly, she came to my side and squatted down with her hands between her legs and propped up on the floor. Although I usually push her away because of her stench, it's okay to allow her to do as she pleases for the day.

Leaning my head against the wall, I sighed.

I think I should rethink the way I do things... I have acted very carelessly at times, I should be more careful from now on.

Closing my eyes, I began to review all the events since I arrived here.

***

"Be prepared, the region I'm sending you to doesn't have very dangerous creatures, but just being alone in the forest is already dangerous, so don't be careless," Shadow-san said.

"Got it, you can send me anytime you want."

I barely finished my words when my vision dimmed momentarily, and the next moment, I appeared in an unknown forest.

Turning around three hundred and sixty degrees, all I could see were trees. I was completely surrounded by a huge amount of them. They vary greatly in size and width, it's a very impressive scene to see. Besides the trees, there is also a small amount of undergrowth.

"The weather here seems quite pleasant."

I took a deep breath in as I felt the pure, cool morning air fill my entire lung.

At the same moment, I felt a pleasant sensation, as if something was filling my body.

*Ding*

Suddenly, something beeped in my head and a notification appeared before my eyes.

---

You have risen to level 1!

---

"Eh? Is it that easy to level up?" Involuntarily, I cracked a smile. "If that's the case, it looks like life here will be easier than I thought."

I brimmed with confidence, but soon realized that this might not be the case.

"I feel no change in my body and there have been no further notifications..."

With a thought, I opened the system interface.

---

Name: Kaname Minashi

Age: 16

Race: Human

Gender: Male

Level: 1

Inventory: [...]

Affinity: Lightning

Unique Skills: Monster Tamer, Self-Evolution

Skills: N\A

---

Other than my level changing to 1, there is no difference... Well, I guess level 1 shouldn't be much. For now, I think I'd better equip myself.

I took a set of clothes out of my inventory. It is black pants made of a thick and sturdy fabric, it looks like linen, but I am not sure. The shirt is brown with a v-neck and long, loose sleeves. From how comfortable it feels to the touch, I have no doubt that it is cotton.

In addition to the normal clothing, the set also includes a rustic brown leather boot with a long shaft and a brown leather belt with a silver buckle.

Excited about the medieval-style outfit, I quickly took off my sweatshirt and put on the clothes that were prepared for me.

When I finished getting dressed, all I wanted was a mirror to look at how I looked, but unfortunately that is not possible. Although I liked the outfit, something that left me unsatisfied was the fact that the set did not include underwear. It would be unhygienic to continue with the same underwear that I had on before I came here.

But leaving that aside, it is time to look at my equipment.

With an idea in mind, I took a kendo stance with empty hands, I shouted.

"Come to me, demon-hunting sword!"

Contrary to my expectations, the simple-looking sheathed sword appeared a few inches above my hands and fell to the ground.

"..."

Although I failed, that did not discourage me.

Crouching down, I took a good look at the sword. The hilt is covered with black leather and the pommel and guard are silver. The scabbard seems to be made of the same black leather as the handle, in addition, it has silver details at both ends.

Picking up the sword, I examined it closely, judging by the thickness of the handle, it probably didn't appear in my hands because the space I left was insufficient.

"Looks like I'm going to have to practice a bit to get it to appear in my hands."

Right away, I took the black leather armor out of inventory.

How can I put it... Although it looks sturdy, it is very plain and flat. Not to mention that it's not even full armor, it's just leather armor with buckle fastening.

Well, if I think positively, it is better than having nothing.

"Even if I want to look for a target immediately, I must test my strength."

I drew my double-edged sword with a blade that seems to be at most one meter long and attached the scabbard to my belt. 

"Let's see how good this sword is."

I tightened the grip firmly and using only a little force, I struck a thin branch that was nearby. Fulfilling my expectations, the sword cut easily.

Hmmm, I think I should try something thicker and sturdier. Looking around briefly, I soon found a target.

Walking over the dry leaves, I positioned myself in front of a tree that appeared to be at least forty centimeters thick. Leaning my body sideways to get momentum, I attacked with all my might, making a sharp sword slashing sound in the air.

Going far beyond my expectations, the sword went through the tree as if it were made of butter. But because I used too much force, the weight of the sword caused it to continue its momentum, spinning me around until my back was against the tree.

"Wow!"

I was surprised.

Although it looks very ordinary and not at all worthy of a protagonist, this sword is excellent. I bet that although it looks ordinary, the armor must also be of good quality.

*Crack*

When I turned around to see what was that creaking sound that came from my back, I immediately saw the huge tree falling to where I was standing.

Without time to reason, my body instinctively jumped to the side, barely avoiding being crushed by the thick trunk that crushed the restive vegetation.

"Shit! I barely started, and it was almost game over."

I cursed as I tried to calm my heartbeats.

Even if it seems like a dream, my fear is very real, my legs are even trembling.

Pulling me out of my stupor, I heard a rustling of leaves not far from where I was standing.

Seconds later, a small dark brown creature came out from under the branches of the fallen tree.

It's a rabbit!

Leaving aside whether this is a dream or not, my legs have regained strength. Now is the time to put all the knowledge I learned in the novels into practice.

Unable to contain my elation, a smile formed on my face.

"The time for level up has begun!"

26