Misfortunes Comes in Threes, then Comes Happiness
83 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

悪いことは3つに来る。そしてその後は幸福だ。

 

 

Since I was done with the process of RECORDING and have taken my temporary registration I decided to leave the room to look for the couple. I had taken with me temporary registration form, an A4 sized parchment that details my STATUS and current temporary affiliation with the town of Amaria.

 

 

While on my search for the couple something flew on my hindsight and crashed across the room which made quite a commotion, and soon enough people started to gather at the source of the noise. In the middle of it were my benefactors, Sir Heid and Lady Anna. The two were silently taking in the insults of a few men wearing flashy costumes –I mean garments.

 

 

“What are traitors doing in our town!” the instigator a half bald man probably on his sixties, his words sting of insults but most of it were wrapped with malice. “They should have been exiled out of Levantis! Or hanged”

 

 

Voices of cheers and approval echoed in the crowded Civil Registrar’s Office. It would seem that the two have some circumstances that required them to bring a lot of luggage with them. No it is probably safe to say that they brought their whole belongings with them. As someone who has live in a world where capital punishments like death have been reduced to Reclusion Perpetua was mortified that death penalty was still implemented in this world.

 

 

However, after a few moments of hesitation I found that it was not the time to be pondering about capital punishments as one of the men, probably subordinate to the instigator of this commotion, tried to grab Lady Anna in the arm, while Sir Heid immediately acted, I was faster and immediately shove the man’s hand from ever touching Lady Anna.

 

 

“A grown man, trying to touch a Lady in a middle of the commotion is an action only perverts would do.” I made my voice especially loud so that the gallery could hear all the while shutting him up using intimidation through my eyes.

 

 

While the men are furious at my interference, they could do nothing as the women in the gallery started to eye them suspiciously.

 

 

“Ace, you have my thanks. As the husband it should have been my job, and yet…” Heid was dejected and look downcast apologetic to his wife.

 

 

“No, Sir Heid was going do the same thing I did.” I smiled at both of them and tried to console sir Heid. “In fact my speed was at fault.”

 

 

“It is late, should we call it a day and go to our house?” Lady Anna who saw through my joke and her husband’s state of mind also started to console her husband and offered to subtly change location. “We are tired and famished I think a dinner is in order, shall we head to our family’s estate?”

 

 

And so we drove to their residence.

 

 

*****

 

 

It was almost evening when we arrive at the couple’s house… no, more like a mansion. It was located was on the northern part of the town, a location that seemed perfect, not along the road where lot of traffic can disturb it and was clearly accessible either by foot or any form of vehicles.

 

 

Apparently, Lady Anna’s father had been the town’s Elder, and this very mansion became the central building for conducting businesses regarding the town. But when Lady Anna’s family had ascended in peerage due to their outstanding management in conducting business with the kingdom, they had left this house in the capable hands of their retainers and went to the current capital.

 

 

True to its nature as mansion of a wealthy merchant the size is not the only thing that could attract would be visitors. If you just go by the looks, a minimum of 200 people should fit inside. On its pathway are blue roses aligned to welcome guests. Just looking at the façade which were made of natural white limestones used as foundation for its walls made the building more noble like.

 

 

*****

 

 

Since the pavement was not built to accommodate the truck, Sir Heid had trouble maneuvering it safely towards the front door. If the couple is thinking of keeping the pickup truck, adjustment to the pathway should be in order.

 

 

Lady Anna was excited and energetic while opening the door. According to her, it had been roughly 10 years since she had returned to her family’s estate. But as soon as she saw the interior the excitement greatly plummeted, her face contorted to that of a cry.

 

 

While the outside had a magnificent view, the inside had now been vandalized and lack the luster that one could perceived outside. The silk curtains clearly unnaturally shredded, tables deliberately smashed, and furniture had its contents stolen.

 

 

“They even took my mother’s treasured silverware…” tears started to fall on Lady Anna’s white face and anger raged in Sir Heid’s.

 

 

I could only watch silently at the couple as I looked at the place which was vandalized for the couple to see. I wanted to do something for them, but what?

 

 

“Where should we place your luggage, Sir Heid?” I thought of leaving the two alone to weep and rage but thinking that the situation is not going to change moping or weeping, I then prompt the couple to command me on their next action.

 

 

“Are you not going to ask us the reason for the commotion that took place earlier or this situation?” Lady Anna looks at me with her teary eyes.

 

 

“While I am indeed curious, there are only limited ways I can help you and one of them is simply brute force. I am guessing that your situation requires more than what I can offer for the time being.” I then started to move the luggage inside the mansion. “So for now, allow me to move your luggage inside.”

 

 

Sir Heid, who clearly wanted his wife to be courageous in these trying times, offered his hands and they too started to clean while I carried their belongings inside.

 

 

*****

 

After getting things sorted to a certain degree, we decided to eat, which was our primary goal.

 

Lady Anna manned the kitchen, where she was able to somehow regain her composure. I guess she must have loved cooking to momentarily forget the bad things that happened thus far.

 

 

The meal presented before the dining table did not betray the aroma that came with it. as I took the first bite, I did not know why but tears started to fall from my eyes.

 

“Did it not suit your taste…?” Lady Anna voiced her concern. “Or perhaps we have upset you in some way?”

 

“No.” Far from it, While I was still in the mysterious island, the food I cooked where not really disgusting, but they could not be called delicious either. So, when I tasted Lady Anna’s cooking had made me feel alive again to the brink of tears. “It is very delicious; it is just that I have not tasted anything like this for a while and…” I trailed off, that was embarrassing, but the couple had understood where I was coming from and so left me to eat while tears kept rolling on my cheeks.

 

 

That night, after what was my first ever pleasant dinner in this world the two then talked about their special circumstances as they recounted their past that would lead to the tragedy, they now experience.

 

 

“Ace, I happen to be a former noble!” Sir Heid, who had his eyes closed, while he recounts the events that had led them to where we are now.

 

 

Apparently, Heid von Alyster Romaria is the eldest son of three sibling and the heir to the House of Romaria, a Baron Household and inherited the peerage of Baron from his father at the age of 18.

 

 

Up until last year, he had done magnificently and ensured that his subjects get to eat and lived peacefully in the land he supervised.

 

 

But, things started to get out of hand when King Arc Argus Gulvan y Elmira Arthuria ‘s wife –The Queen Eloisa Margott y Elmira lost her life two years ago to a horrible monster attack which marked the start of the Demon Lord Season.

 

 

The king who had loved his wife stood in grief and eventually stopped doing government work which led to the creation of the Anti-Arthuria Family Coalition and started to purge Nobles who are loyal to the current king. Sir Heid just happens to be the first to have been stripped off his nobility with made-up crimes of disloyalty and embezzlement.

 

 

This was just the first of their troubles. Sir Heid together with Lady Anna went to see King Arc Argus in hopes to renounce the said claims but was turned down at the castle gates without even seeing the king.

 

 

For such crime capital punishment of execution or at the least exiled should have been a given and yet call it mercy the two were only stripped off their nobility. With nothing more to do in the Romaria Household, the two left the l and went on a journey to his Lady Anna’s hometown under a different fief, Amaria hoping to settle their instead.

 

 

 

Anna Sevilis Romaria was the daughter of the former town elder of Amaria -Eldowin Sevilis. Town Elders unlike Nobility which are gained naturally through birth, Eldership is achieved through elections from the populace.

 

 

From how I had perceived Lady Anna, her family was quite famous for being good natured and thus won the populace and had her father elected as Elder of Amaria. Soon enough the previous king had seen the Sevilis family’s deeds and had rose their peerage to Baron and move their estate to the capital.

 

 

From then, they had left their mansion to their most trusted retainers, however the rumors of them being traitors made those retainers lose faith on them and saw first had how they had been betrayed by the people they though would trust them more than anyone.

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

Treason should have warranted the couple for the capital punishment -execution. That is why many nobles had speculated that the couples’ friendship with the King was the main reason for their lenient punishment.

 

 

Although not of noble birth lady Anna had received the friendship of Eloisa Margott (who would become queen) and the King Arc Argus (who would become king) together with sir Heid during their Advance School (kind off the Junior HS in their world) and Specialization School (Senior HS) years.

 

 

 

Although they were able to escape execution, they could not do anything and so decided to leave for Amaria, lady Anna’s hometown but there the couple was struck by a second misfortune and were attacked by bandits had I not gotten to them, the two would have been killed.

 

 

Their third misfortune came when they arrived at the mansion where Lady Anna’s family used to live. She had many memories of her childhood here and although it was abandoned, she was told that the estate was kept preserved in honor to the former Town Elder, and yet a lot of their belongings were stolen, and the mansion was completely defiled.

 

 

“I wonder? Would it have been better if we got killed by the highway robbers?”

 

 

“Anna!” I was shocked by Heid’s voice, I was only with them for a couple of hours but, I took him for a person who would not shout at someone, yet he was now raising his voice. “Don’t you ever say those words again!”

 

 

“Heid… you are right… I am sorry…” dejection and self-loathing was clearly shown on her face.

 

 

“Sir Heid is right, Lady Anna.” I may not be the best judge of character but I know that this couple have good souls inside them, and so sticking to my instincts which have yet to fail me decided to help them anyway I can. “Have you ever heard of this maxim: ‘Bad things comes in threes, but after that there can only be Happiness’.”

 

“Hmmm… I have never heard of it, but… there is a good ring to it.” although confused after hearing the maxim, Sir Heid still consented and said them to lady Anna and boosted her mood.

 

 

“Yes, you are right.” Lady Anna clearly cheered up, started to clean the table, and made her way to the kitchen. “Let us start with these dishes then.”

 

 

Right, stripped from their nobility, almost killed by robbers, and were betrayed by the people they thought where their allies. And so, there are now three stacked misfortunes after those three it is time to get even. Although I have no clue as to how I can help them, I decided to do everything I can do will help them get back on their feet.

 

2