Chapter 18: The New Goal
989 6 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18: The New Goal

The great-tasting bread had carried a part of my worries through its salivating fluffiness. It was plump and beautiful to behold. No need to chew since the dough was masterful enough to naturally melt in my mouth. The marvelous flavor caught my stomach by surprise. The wafting scent of butter triggering a great rebellion inside the confines of my belly.

“Yum!” Oh, dear heaven! I wonder who made this sweet, sour, and salty bread? The man is a master! The patisserie’s skills had already reached the pinnacle of bread making. The rest of the meal was also superb. The chef could put those Michelin restaurants on earth to shame. I wonder if this world's food cuisines are better than in my old world. I’ll add it among my new goals for now.

Even if it looks like a poor depilated hut outside, this witch hut had a good chef.

Anyway, this lady aunt had finally earned her freedom from the nasty bondage play. It took quite a scandal to free myself from those vines. All thanks to Eyad's sacrifice, I was rescued from the vine bondage and got to eat good food.

“I appreciate it Eyad,” Putting my hands together, I smirked while whispering with a tone of thanks.

After that event, Saria claimed that I should consider this witch hut my home from now on.

On a side note, the grand nobles, the royals, and other various factions were in a race to power. They were currently dragging the kingdom into one big mess. That was why I couldn’t go out to the cities. Not that I had any plans to.

The capital was bound to be in deep waters. After all, each faction wants to get their own piece of the pie as the royals weakened due to the death of the king.

Such standard political dramas though interesting bores the heck out of me. Anyway, I'd rather watch geographical and wildlife channels than fill myself with this scheming. I’ve read too much of those during my history class and reading novels. I also had enough of it in my old workplace. Oh maybe, animals scheming against each other would make those wildlife channels more interesting.

I am sure of one thing though. The political turmoil within Carmandy was not going to stop anytime soon.

Anyway, I was also declared dead by the capital after my whole entourage was burned to the ground. The news had lifted my spirits after hearing it from Saria. Good news and a good meal are always perfect for a sound mind and stomach.

"You seem to be in a good mood, Victoria?" Saria said, a frown filling her face. She was still sulking after I tricked her. Upset after learning that all I said about the pregnant thingy was a lie. "Don't do those mischievous lies again, okay? I almost ripped and roasted a living man’s intestines while casting healing magic."

I glanced at her and looked up before eating again.

"Kay!" I replied as I relished this awesome food, lending only half of my ears. I ignored the bloody part and continued eating the great meal existing before me. When push comes to shove, you must show your trump cards lest you suffer. I only did what was supposed to be done according to logic. I had nothing wrong…probably?

"Kuhumm. It's good that you're enjoying your food." I heard a voice above my head. It was sight good enough to make me grin. I raised my head and looked at the vine-bound Eyad. The poor mage was wrapped like a mummy with only his head peeking out. “But can you please put me down now? I’ll greatly appreciate it.”

Unfortunately, he got ignored by Saria. Of course, I also ignored him! I could also be petty from time to time. Hmmph.

The poor mage was beaten black and blue. No perhaps, whipped until black and blue was a better description. Though he had already been healed by Saria’s potions.

"Sigh," Eyad chose to be silent, fearing he might trigger another weird switch.

Anyway, considering my status, I wonder if someone will try to check whether if I died or not. I don't like getting surprises. It was better to prepare for any circumstances.

After all, my experience in this new world seemed to be always on the crazy end of the spectrum. It was far from ideal. A jail. A cage. A stake. In a graveyard-like forest. Met a zombie. Within the stomach of a living giant tree. A witch house. And in a laboratory.

This was the most normal thing that happened to me in the past days. Eating at a dinner table. It was good enough to make me shed true tears.

I raised a glance towards Saria after I ate my first meal. It was light and good. "Saria."

Saria moved her emerald eyes towards me. "Hmnn?"

"Will anyone dare to check if I am alive?" This question had been bugging me for the past hour now. Come to think of it, I don’t believe that all individuals in this kingdom were stupid.

Saria smirked, a fleeting mischievousness drifting on her once bored lips. "Oh, there will be a lot. I can tell that at least three powerful people and factions that will surely look for you."

Saria said, her eyes drifting into a leftover piece of bread that survived my gluttony. She took it and lifted the soft yummy bread to her mouth, ripping the soft bread like a carnivore. Nodding her head off with every bite.

She's also hungry, alright.

"Even if I am already declared dead? I'm quite popular, heh." Even so, I knew that falling into the hands of those people will not give me a good ending. I'd rather stay with Saria. That's what my guts and deductions are telling me.

"Yes, my dear. Not all nobles are stupid. But rather than you, they'll be looking for me first. Let's see. It will be your sister, the rotten prime minister, the Lord Knight, and I guess the royal family of Markandir."

That’s four, I quipped in my head.

Saria's eyes lit up in delight after tasting the remaining slices of bread. I know what she’s feeling right now. "After all, they're still verifying if you're indeed the killer. It's good that they're not stupid."

My face turned a little stiff. It's quite hard to fall into a political battle. May it be earth or in this world. Such power struggles were bound to draw blood. I had my own share of experience on the corporate ladder. I'm even wondering how my old scooty Boss reached his position in one piece.

So, I still can't live normally and do some soul searching. I somehow wanted to sulk. "But why are they even looking for you and me? Hah, what else do they want from a fallen princess."

Saria pointed at herself with pride, laughing before throwing a witty wink. "I'm a powerful political chess piece. After all, each camp will try to get the youngest archmage in history in their camp. I’m as powerful as a nation standing army after all."

"As for you," Saria's lips turned into a quarter moon as she pointed at me. "The first half wants you surely dead. Another quarter wants to protect you. The last quarter is just plain curious. Fence-sitters is a better word to describe the bunch. And you're not completely a fallen princess yet."

"Status," I whispered lightly under my breath.

 

Name: Victoria Rothfield Rosenberg

Level: 1

Job: Princess (Fallen) Spirit Mage

Race: Human

 

General Skills:

[Language of Another World]

[Etiquette Lvl. 6]

 

Abilities:

[Spirit Eye Lvl. 2]

[Appraisal Lvl. 1]

[Scent Tracking Lvl. 1]

 

Void Items:

[Victoria's Soul Fragments (Damaged)]

 

Liar. I am still as fallen as I could get. I threw a sharp gaze at lady archmage, giving her a doubting look.

"I'm not lying?" Saria stood up, chest puffed after sensing my doubt. "Not when I am here."

She strode in front of me, ruffling the lilac threads above my head. "Don't worry too much. I can make you a princess again or if you want I can even make you the owner of that worthless throne."

Hoh! That escalated quite quickly. I already watched a lot of drama and know perfectly why I shouldn’t wish for the throne. For a lady who loves adventure, being stuck in one place even with power is nothing but punishment. Sorry but…

"No!"

I covered my mouth with two hands. Oh, my voice was quite a bit loud. I smiled wryly as I looked at Saria's surprised eyes.

She frowned, putting her fingers on her chin in deep thought.

I must make it clear early. I don’t want to enter another mess. There were still many unknown variables. Aside from that, I’m not keen to get back the status of Victoria. I could sense that it's not the real Victoria’s wish for some reason.

Aside from that, I also don't want Saria to begin a bloodbath for a mere throne.

I remembered her scary face a few minutes ago. Her sharp and cold gaze was like the Siberian Winter. It was chilly and deadly.

"I-I don't want to become a princess anymore." I lowered my gaze, crafting and fixing my next words. All to convince her. "It's too tiring for me."

Saria's emerald eyes cast a serious gaze as she stood silent as if she was thinking something deep. "Are you sure? How about the Cloves?"

I felt a pang of pain in my heart for some unknown reason. “Who?”

Seeing my deep frown, Saria sighed. "Don't think too much. The Cloves are quite attached to you. I believe you will remember everything about them soon. I'll rather not spoil anything for you. The Lord Knight is still searching for you after all."

The Cloves. Where did I hear that again? I'm feeling like I have forgotten quite a lot.

Silence descended as I fell into a quagmire of thoughts and blanks.

"If that's your wish. I will respect your will." Saria returned to her seat, flopping, looking bored again. She saw the large bowl of warm soup. There was quite a lot remaining. She took a spoonful, smacking her lips before taking a peek at me. "But what's your plan? You can't forever stay here, right."

“Yes, you’re right.”

And alas, my chance has come! The sides of my mouth started to arc upward due to delight. I already thought of things to do in this world. I'm not so inflexible to sulk about not being able to return to my old world. I have nothing much to tie me emotionally on earth anyway.

I lifted my hands, putting in on my beating heart. Also, I feel like I have a mission to enjoy this life. I don't know why but it's like a duty to me. Hmmm. This is truly a weird feeling. I wonder what’s happening to me?

"It looks like you already thought of a plan." Saria watched me, sighing in acceptance. "Tell me. I'll do my best to support you."

My eyes lit up. An easy woman, cough! I mean, a rich sugar mommy! I took a deep breath, arranging my jumbled thoughts. "I want to travel."

Saria nodded, finding my plans plausible. "The Carmandy? I can help you with that. How about it?"

"No." Euphoria dawning on me as old pieces of memories drifted into my head. This place was a new world to discover. Why not start with a big fat goal?

"Then where do you want to go?" Saria looked at me as curious as a cat. Her eyes watching me. She was waiting for my words with interest.

A warm feeling burst out from my heart, reaching my lips before bursting out like a firework. "The whole world!"

Yes, this is what I was brought here for. Let’s make my dreams as grand as it could be!

"But you have amnesia." Saria yawned, pointing out the obvious. "Tell me, where does the Free Trade Union lay? If you can answer that I'll let you roam free."

"I-I." My face turned blank for a second, dumbfounded. She got a point I have no to little knowledge about this world.

The archmage smirked, "I'll count until ten. One, two, three, four, five..."

Then, I panicked.

Saria giggled as she watched my troubled face. This mean lady loved to toy with my poor feelings.

With gritted teeth, I lifted my voice and spoke the truth. "I don't know!"

I do not know much about this world at all. None at all. I’m literally a blank slate aside from the status screen. It’s important to know at least the basics before traveling such as the culture, taboos, currency, and routes.

"It's not like you can't go," Saria clapped, grinning at my stupefied face. “I can help you!”

My eyes shone with a bit of hope and… cautiousness. "Really? T-then how?!"

"Seeing you so excited, I'll help you. Alright, let's start your history classes, geography classes, taxonomy classes, and magic classes. All the things you need to know.” Saria stopped her words, staring for a moment as if she thought of something. “Oh, common sense classes is also a must.”

I felt a bit hurt after being treated like a stupid kid. I am not that stupid you know.

“Oh, you don’t like common sense classes?" Saria asked, perhaps sensing the changes in my reaction. She lifted a shining gold coin, a scary man engraved in it. “How much is this thing if you convert it to copper coins?”

“…”

“Hell, no, I love it! Of course, nothing beats common sense classes. I need it so I'll do it! I'll do it!” I raised my hand like an oddball kid from some random kindergarten.

Saria observed me with scrutiny. Then, she shook her head, looking at me like I was some kind of dumb thing. "Yep, you've lost a lot of common sense. That's definitely needed. I can help, but in one condition!"

"Anything. Tell me!" I puffed out my chest.

Saria, my dear. Don't belittle this lady aunt's persistence. I could suffer a lot from the things as long as I will have good returns.

Saria licked her lips, a flash of greed dwelled in her emerald eyes. Her gaze inspecting her gullible prey who willingly stepped on the wide-open snare.

A shiver waltzed straight into my back. I gulped sensing that I’m in a bit of a dangerous situation. My eyes were already back to normal so I ignored the possibility. “Saria, d-don’t tell me? A-again?

"Experiments."

Then, I froze. Before I knew what was happening, I was lifted into the air, floating straight into her laboratory... alone. A perfect lab-rat for Saria’s magical workshop.

 

Extra Story 1

In the witch hut’s grandiose living room. A few minutes after Victoria was magically manhandled straight into the laboratory.

“Who cooked the food?” Licking her fingers, a bored witch glanced at the unlucky magus.

A tired voice from above followed. It was Eyad. “It was me Lord Archmage.”

Saria frowned as if she could not understand something. “Aren’t you a magus?”

“Y-yes,” Eyad said, looking troubled. To be honest, his talent in cooking was far better than his talent with magic.

Eyad felt everything was against him for some time now. Ever since he met the princess, all seems to be going downhill. Maybe she was his jinx.

The archmage put a finger on her chin in thought. “How about becoming a temporary chef?”

“But I am a magus,” Eyad replied. Based on his tune, there was no room for any negotiation. He will die a respected magus than to become a chef.

“I know.” Saria threw him a gaze as if she was looking at a weird rascal. “But you cook?”

“I must study a lot of time. I can’t always cook for you, Lord Archmage. I also want to reach the pinnacle of magic.” Eyad’s firm voice echoed. He decided to never compromise.

“I can teach you a trick or two.” The archmage glanced and watched how fickle this man was.

Eyad choked for a moment, his two eyes almost popping out of their socket. An archmage teaching him? Is this a dream?

“It’s a deal!” Faster than the wind, Eyad answered. His eyes turned bloodshot like he had taken a dose of alchemical drugs. A fickle man indeed.

The archmage nodded, yawning. She stood and pointed her finger at the dishes. “Deal, make it yummy like this okay?” See you later. I’ll go back to my experiments.”

“Yes!” Eyad replied. His mind drifting on the highest cloud nine. Perhaps, the princess was his lucky star, not his jinx.

Saria then walked out of the room, whistling happily. She had eaten well and will now continue her experiments. It was bliss.

After a few minutes, Eyad realized something, popping his bubble of reverie. He was still tied. And there was no one he could call. After all, the whole room was magically soundproof.

“…”


Thanks for reading as always. Please check out my Patreon for advanced chapters.

36