Chapter 133: Spar Preparations
2k 5 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Jinma}

To demonstrate our fighting capabilities, everyone in the room moved outside to the backyard of the cottage where there was a training ground and sparring equipment stored. Apparently, Noire’s father owned the cottage and the property around it, and he had the training grounds built alongside the estate’s. He and his family would visit Palocaesy on some occasions and would use the training grounds to polish their fighting skills over the course of their stay. As expected of the Minister of Defense and Weaponry to keep himself as well as his family sharp for any unexpected encounters, and Noire would be no exception.

“It may be too late to speak up against this now, but are you sure it’s safe to release Gabriella from her bindings?” I asked Noire, who was standing on the sidelines along with the others. I was standing on one side of the training grounds with Ume, and across from us was Margaret—or ‘Beelzebub’ in public—and Gabrielle fully decked out in black armor, fitting for her Dark Knight class, while carrying a longsword in both hands. Konjiro played the part as referee as he stood on the edge of the grounds between us.

“Do not worry!” Noire exclaimed, “If Gabriella knows what is good for her, she will not try anything strange! Otherwise, feel free to beat her to a pulp if she does! She is an Undead, so other than magic, she can take anything thrown at her and still live!”

“I am seriously not that sturdy! Do you hate me that much, Lady Krauss?!” Gabriella exclaimed in slight panic.

“With Beelzebub as the exception, this spar will give us a chance to see how you fight as we go down the dungeon,” Noire explained, ignoring Gabriella’s question, “We will go over the specifics like the skills and magic we can use later, along with the rest of ‘Twilight Sky’. For now, this is a good opportunity to get an idea of what to expect from the strongest people in the group.”

“If that’s the case, shouldn’t you be in Beelzebub’s place?” Ume asked.

“My fighting style would make the team you will fight against unbalanced, but you will see how I do things soon,” Noire answered, “I have arranged this match to have an even team of magic and close-quarters-combat on both sides.”

“I get it now,” Kalline said, “Lady Umeiyon is a Sage while Master Jinma is a Brawler. If Master Jinma pairs off against Gabriella for being a Dark Knight in close-quarters-combat, then Lady Umeiyon will be left with Lady Beelzebub for their expertise in magic. Does that mean Lady Beelzebub has a magic-based class as well?”

Beelzebub laughed with pride, “Correct! I, the Great Beelzebub! Am a master of the magical dark arts as a Sorceress! You all shall know true fear soon enough!”

“This is actually perfect,” Ume said, popping her neck and reptilian knuckles before giving a hint of her [Sadistic Smile], a frightening skill she inherited from me in our marriage, “I’m still a little peeved of you having the gall of talking down on my husband. It’s about time you get knocked down some pegs and know who to really fear.”

“Ume, this is only a spar, and Mar—I mean, ‘Beelzebub’, is a noble,” I interjected with a finger up, “Don’t kill her.”

“Are you both looking down on me?!” Beelzebub exclaimed in frustration.

Looking at the numbers objectively, Ume can beat the fly, but the latter’s status … I can’t help but feel a little tense, I thought as I viewed our opponents’ statuses with my [Size Up]

First, Gabriella. Just as she advertised herself, she has the Dark Knight class, and while her stats lean more on the offensive side of things, she still had pretty good defenses and a surprising amount in AGI and DEX, considering her wearing armor. It did say she has weak resistance to Fire and Holy attribute attacks, but she also has strong resistance to Curse attribute attacks. She even has spells from Cursed Magic that inflict status ailments in *Paralyze* and *Poison*. Of course, we can’t forget about her skills in the sword, and she has a wide array of them in her arsenal. There were even a few I haven’t seen being used so far, so I was curious to see what they could do and how to learn them for myself. I especially wondered how her [Headless Style] fighting works in a battle. Also, like Eugus, she had an [Armor Walk] skill that allowed her to move in armor without hindering her AGI or certain movements. Even if my stats have hers beat, I should keep on my toes.

Now, for the surprising thing I found from the status of Margaret ‘Maggy’ Buzzington, a.k.a., ‘Beelzebub’. While she was indeed a Sorceress, she was also a Water Mage and a Fire Mage. Yes, just like me and Eugus, this Lord of the Flies also possessed multiple classes, and all of them were promotions from the Dark Mage and regular Mage novice classes. The question is how this even came to be. I didn’t see any hint of the Brawler class anywhere, and going by her attitude toward it, I doubt she knows the secret behind it, or she may still have it on her like I do.

I didn’t know what this fly’s deal was, until I identified a few of her titles and skills with my [Size Up].

Demon-Kin Noble: A title personally bestowed by a Demon-Kin Monarch, placing the user among their nobility; this grants the user access to certain skills they can learn, or granted by their Demon-Kin Monarch.

 

Demon King’s [1st and 2nd] Peerage: A skill personally bestowed by a Demon-Kin Monarch, granting the user the capability to possess another class to practice and use in battle; only those with the Demon-Kin Noble title are qualified to learn this skill.

<Holy shit, this is huge!> Nyra exclaimed, seeming like she read over the descriptions of the title and skills I came across, <Does this mean every noble in the Demon-Kin’s Territory has at least one additional class?!>

I mentally nodded, <That seems to be the case, and if there’s a line of titles and skills specifically for Demon-Kin nobility, then it’s likely there are those for Demi-Kin and Human-Kin too. Also, notice the description said a ‘Demon-Kin Monarch’ grants the title and skill, and not a ‘Demon King’?> This meant ‘Demon King’ was just a label that’s been used to address the Demon-Kin’s Territory’s monarch up to now. There are likely other monarchs from different kin that rule countries outside of the continent of Padimon, all with possibly different ‘royal title’ names to address themselves.

It would be no surprise that there are continents other than Padimon existing in the world of Raiza, but that just begged the question of how big it is to have a number of monarchs from different kin ruling their own countries. They could be totally different from the three countries in Padimon, either neighboring between borders or are separated by the sea, each having their own ways of running their governments. Maybe the discrimination between different kin aren’t as bad in some of those foreign countries as it is here, but at the same time, it could also be far worse.

Would all of the countries’ leaders be considered as monarchs, or were some of them referred differently, like emperor, chief, or even president, to fit in with the culture it came from? And if it were the latter case, do they all have the same benefits under different labels, or are they each unique from each other? Lastly, if becoming a noble in a country was the only known method to get additional classes up to now, then why am I able to get the same as a Brawler? If I have a chance to speak with Obina again, I’ll have to see if she can enlighten me on these questions, but that would be for another time.

<Still, this brings a concerning problem,> I spoke to Nyra in my mind, <I don’t know how many classes a noble or guild master is able to earn, but it’s safe to assume that they’re in a whole other league in fighting prowess compared to those I’ve faced so far. Rowling and Vask are no exceptions, and if in the worst-case scenario I have to face the Demon King in battle, the same person that granted those nobles and then some the access to use multiple classes, then she’d have to be insanely tough with however many tricks she has up her sleeve.>

<I guess we’ll have to hope that whatever reason she has for wanting to see you doesn’t come to that, at least until you get stronger,> Nyra said.

… Yeah, that’s about all I really can do right now, isn’t it? I may have my high defenses, but those can only help me survive long enough to run away when needed, at best. It won’t be enough to protect my wife and harem. I have to get even stronger.

“Hey! Arch Imp! What are you doing?!” Margaret exclaimed snapping me out of my thoughts.

Since Ume and I were occupied with the spar, I had Ren and Mametama keep a close eye on Sue while they watched from the sidelines. For some reason, though, Sue was coming toward us, accompanied by my Werewolf Slave and Cougar Cub Familiar.

“Just personally wishing Umeiyon and Jinma luck on the spar! It will only be a moment!” Sue exclaimed cheerfully as she stood behind us. The fake Arch Imp’s tune changed when her expression turned serious and silently beckoned the two of us to close in. She also tugged her ear, giving the tell that she wishes to speak with [Telepathy].

Ume and I exchanged a glance. Both of us had the same idea to see what it was Sue wanted to say even without the help of my [Telepathy] skill. We silently nodded in agreement and crouched down to Sue’s level before I activated it and established a link between the three of us. Ren and Mametama in the meantime were standing about a meter away from this huddle at my request.

<I have some tips to give you both an edge in this spar,> Sue started before glancing over to my wife first, <Umeiyon, including Sorcerer, Beelzebub possesses two other magic-based classes, Water Mage and Fire Mage, whose benefits will help increase the power of their respective element magics. Her main strategy relies on the status-afflicting spells from her [Curse Magic] that will temporarily make you weak to both types, and then slow you down before she throws her offensive spells on you. If you’re trying to show your stuff to Noire, I advise that you evade or block her attempts to afflict you with those status ailments, then reveal how powerful your own magic is to hers.>

Umeiyon’s eyes widened and glanced over to me, <Is it true that she possesses three classes?>

I nodded, <Yeah, I was going to mention it to you with a warning, but I guess Sue beat me to it. I didn’t know what Beelzebub’s main battle strategy would be, though.>

Ume huffed through her nose and crossed her arms with pride, <Even if that is the case, I had a feeling ‘Beelzebub’ has some status ailment spells in her arsenal, and I already have measures to counteract them, so there is no need to worry over me. I am a Dragon who studied magic for a long time, you know?>

Sue nodded in understanding before turning her attention to me, <Jinma, Dullahans have an exclusive fighting style skill called [Headless Style], and as the name suggests, it involves their disembodied heads. While the heads are their main sources of strength, however, they are also their greatest weakness, if you know how to put it to your advantage. You, as a Brawler, can use your own fighting style skills to do just that. I’m sure you can come up with something that will blow everyone’s minds.>

<My fighting styles …> I trailed off.

Right now, I have my [Merciless Style], [Protective Style], [Slugger Style], and [Drunken Style] thanks to my capabilities as a Brawler. Each of them specializes in some area of combat that could alter my chances of winning a battle. If Sue can see my status, despite the measures I took with my [Status Sorting] skill to hide my true potential, she must know I can use at least one of these to obtain certain victory against Gabriella’s [Headless Style]. At least that’s what I assumed Sue was implying.

<That sounds great and all, but this doesn’t overwrite what you did to Jin and Nyra,> Ume said, furrowing her brow, <And if you’re somehow tricking us again with this info, I will really let you have it after the spar.>

<While I do admit I wished my advice would help improve my image, I know it won’t be that easy, and I’d be one hell of a dumbass to try and trick either of you under these circumstances,> Sue said while shrugging her shoulders, <You may do with my advice as you will. I just figured I’d contribute something to make this easier for you to impress Noire, knowing what to expect.>

Sue then did a one-eighty and put up a large, excited smile before wrapping both of us by the waist in her arms. “Best of luck, you two! I’ll be cheering you on!” She exclaimed, making sure everyone in the training grounds would hear it.

We were surprised by the sudden gesture. We didn’t have time to react before Sue pulled back and returned to the sidelines with Ren and Mametama, who both wished us luck as well.

<… Well? What do you think? Jin? Nyra?> Ume asked us, our link with my [Telepathy] skill still intact, but with just the two of us now.

<I didn’t sense anything off with my [Intuition] skill, so it seems like she was telling the truth,> I answered.

<Sue had some slight feelings of concern over both of you, but she was mostly confident that you two will do good in this spar. She also had some stress that went down after hugging you both. That’s what my [Psyche Magic] told me,> Nyra added.

<Agh, I hate being confused like this,> Ume complained while scratching her head, <That female is unpredictable. Wonder if I have a better idea of what makes her tick if I used my [Diagnosis] spell on her?>

<I’m at a loss for what to do with her too, which is why I’ll be consulting with Obina later today and see if she can give us advice,> I said.

<You going to use the bracelet to speak to her?> Ume asked.

<She suggested a while back that I go to a church and try praying at an Immortal’s Monument. Not sure what makes that different from how we’ve been talking to her up to now, but I figured I should give it a shot,> I explained.

Ume rested a reptilian hand to her bosom, <In that case, I’m coming with you. I’m rather curious to see what Goddess Obina was talking about. Will Sue be coming with us too?>

I nodded, <Without question.>

“Hey! Are we getting started with this or what?! The Great Beelzebub does not like to be kept waiting!” Beelzebub yelled in frustration.

“Sorry about that!” I exclaimed.

I popped some kinks out of my joints before unsheathing Nyra and used [Darkness Manipulation] to make an extension of the blade and handle out of solidified darkness. This turned the tanto into a katana before I went into a fighting position. Ume got battle-ready as well.

“We’re ready now!” I exclaimed.

“It’s finally time for you to know your true place, Beelzebub,” Ume taunted.

“A Lizardman, telling the Great Beelzebub to know her true place? I will make you eat those words!” Beelzebub exclaimed.

“Jinma Kotori,” Gabriella said shakily, grabbing my attention and noticing her fists were trembling, “You muscled your way into this delicate quest, taunted me upon your arrival, made a fool out of me, put me through cruel and unusual torture, and moments ago, saw me in my most vulnerable, shameful appearance in front of everyone.”

“… If it’s any consolation, I find your body pretty attractive—”

“Silence!” she interrupted while unsheathing her steel great sword before resting it on her shoulder. Gabriella then removed her head with her free hand and thrusted it out to me, making the anger on her face known, “I am so fed up with everything right now that I do not care for my place as a Dark Knight anymore! I am going to take advantage of this moment to make you regret ever crossing me! Prepare yourself, Jinma Kotori!”

<She certainly has some mixed feelings right now, that’s for sure,> Nyra pointed out in my mind.

“May I remind everyone that this is a ‘sparring’ match? If you’re going to shed blood, try to keep it to a minimum, at least. You’re on a noble’s property, after all,” Konjiro pointed out before raising his paw-like hand, “Now, then! This match will last for three minutes! The battle will be over when the time limit runs out or both participants in a team surrenders, whichever comes first! Do you all agree to these conditions?!”

“No complaints,” I spoke for all of us.

“One round! Jinma and Umeiyon versus Gabriella and Beelzebub! Let the sparring match … begin!” Konjiro declared while chopping the air between us, starting our battle.

If you want support my work and see exclusive content, please check out my subscribestar by clicking on the button below.

54