The fifth part. (end)
380 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days were spent with me and Yuri being together. Being honest with each other was a refreshing feeling, and I think it was one of the happiest moments of my life.

 

Just spending time together and being with her made me happy.

 

Of course, that wouldn’t last.

 

The day finally came.

 

Though it was more bittersweet.

 

On that day Yuri was very unwell, and unconscious. She woke up one final time, to tell me her wish. ‘Become the god of this shrine, Naomi.’

 

“…”

 

“I will.”

 

The day after that the village held a funeral for her. A picture was gifted to me, which I would use in a small shrine.

 

It was a sad day for everyone. But especially for me. My fur and hair had taken a jet black color, and I had changed from the usual long red skirt to a black one.

 

When they cremated her body in a fire I held in my urge to put the fire out.

 

The fire burned, and once it burnt out, that would signify that her soul had departed from this world.

 

The following week would be one of grieving. 

 

That year would be the worst year in a long time.

 

-o-

 

The next hundred years were blurry, time passed like the water in a stream.

 

I watched the fall of the samurai, witnessed the rise of the emperor, and felt the Meiji restoration. Of course, I heard from other gods that Japan, or the ‘country’ I was residing in was preparing for war. 

 

They had already conquered parts of ‘China’ and ‘Russia’. Not that I was familiar with these ‘countries’.

 

‘I really need to learn this, don’t I?’

 

A few years after the Meiji restoration period I had decided to descend from my shrine. I visited one of these ‘libraries’, or a building which had books and lent them out. I would need to study quite a bit to catch up to history again.

 

One day when I was at the library, two men showed up and sat opposite of me. One was a taller man with a muscular build, while the other one had unkempt hair and glasses. They were wearing a special suit, I think it was called a ‘Business suit’. They also wore a government badge.

 

“Umm. Can I help you?”

 

“Good day ma’am. We have official business with you under the authority of SERO.” The man with glasses responded.

 

“SERO?”

 

“Special Entities Relations Office. We are a new agency committed to handling issues with divine entities or gods.”

 

“Okay…”

 

“And we are currently documenting and recording every divine being in the country. Please meet us here next week with this form filled.” He handed me a piece of paper as he finished his sentence.

 

“...” I took the paper and read it.

 

Name:

Age:

Residence:

 

“Alright. So I’ll need to fill in this paper and hand it over by next week?”

 

“Yes. Thank you for cooperating with us.”

 

With that they both left me.

 

I put a hand on my forehead and let it rest on the table.

 

“Haaah…”

 

What was that? When did the government form this new agency? Maybe I should partake in reading the ‘newspaper’ more often.

 

I filled the form and returned it to the two men, and got myself a ‘citizenship pass’ along with a few papers talking about ‘insurance’ and ‘loans’. I ignored them.

 

 

My studies eventually paid off, and I was able to secure some ‘government funding’. Apparently ‘Entities’ like me were eligible for government support and would receive a fixed amount of money every month.

 

Not that I was in any need though.

 

I returned to living in my shrine, and started reading newspapers on a regular basis. Every week would be something new, and it was kind of exciting. Compared to 50 years before, at least.

 

The country known as japan went into a world war, and after 6 years of fighting Japan surrendered. Interestingly, it was because another country known as ‘USA’ used 

“‘Bombs’ with the power of a sun” to force Japan into surrender.

 

 

Another 74 years passed after that, and I moved into the city. Something in my brain was telling me to do that, and so I did.

 

Seeing all the technological progress made was amazing. Just 100 years ago Japan was dominated by wooden structures, and now tall buildings and magical tools dotted the landscape.

 

If only Yuri was here to witness it too.

 

I had turned to watching online entertainment and playing these ‘video games’ to pass time, and was slowly getting more and more used to city life. Life in the city was different, faster paced, more stressful. I honestly didn’t get how humans could live like this.

 

But on a cold autumn night…

 

I passed by someone. Someone I knew all too well.

 

Someone who I would never forget.

 

I met her again.

 

-o-

21