71. A Hope For The Village
101 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Lassa Village can be said to be a small self-sustaining settlement. There are about a hundred households growing crops and raising livestock for food. As much as they wanted to store grain and use it for trade outside, the lack of arable land could barely give them an output enough to feed themselves. There simply isn’t enough for cash crops. 

The defensive measures however were intriguing. Although there are only dry stone walls and hedges none of the monsters from the rocky grounds and the infected forests came to jump over. 

The fog is yet to disperse in the early hours of morning but several figures can already be seen walking around the five-hectare farmland. 

Grandpa Fulio smiled, “The boundary gives us security. Beyond that is death so we dare not let our children wander outside even during the daytime.” 

Lady Tatiana understood the village chief’s concern and remained a silent listener. The children are too frail, if they are to fall victim under those monsters what would become of their village’s future?

“Village chief, the stones and timber you use for the houses all came from the rocky grounds?” Beatrice asked curiously. 

“Oh, yes! The men of Lassa gather materials from there and the nearby woodlands little by little. Over the years, we managed to get by using these materials to strengthen our houses. After all, when the fences fail we still have an added layer of protection.”   

Ayan on the other hand remembered what she saw yesterday. The large number of people, seemingly like refugees marching towards the east. What about them? Where do they hide during the night? 

“You were asking about drifters?” Fulio’s face turned ashen. “How can this be…” 

Sensing something wasn’t right, the ladies turned to him. 

“These drifters, what are they exactly?”

Fulio rubbed both his hands expressing his anxiety, “They were originally abandoned people who committed crimes and had lost their homes.”

“No wonder they walk aimlessly outside.” Beatrice said thoughtfully. 

“No!” Fulio shook his head in horror. “They are not supposed to be here. Those drifters are people… they are, they have long succumbed to madness.”

The ladies were taken aback. They recalled what they saw yesterday and felt an eerie premonition rising. 

“In order to protect the remaining citizens of the Plaguelands, the Order Of Light decided to destroy the only bridge connecting the Rift Valley and the In Between. Here where we dwell is called the In Between, and those you spoke to would be impossible to be found here. They should be in the Rift Valley, southwest a thousand miles from here!” Fulio said. “How could… how could they have reached this place?”

Ayan’s gaze unknowingly went to the east, beyond the jagged mountain peaks and her fist clenched. A large number of drifters are heading there. No doubt they aim to march towards the empire. Towards home. The events in the book about the fall of Asturia returned to her again. They managed to uproot the buried cursed artifacts all over the land as a preventive measure but here they are facing a possible threat. What if the drifters made it to the border? A horrific scene appeared in her mind. Those people in tattered clothing, an endless war causing famine and an outbreak of plague. It was as if she was taken back to her dream before coming back to this world. The scene of hell.  

Is there really no way of avoiding tragedy?   

A warm hand from behind patted her stiff shoulders. Pulling her out of a frightening reverie. 

“We must be on our way, don’t you think so, Ayan?” Lady Tatiana said. 

Ayan breathed slowly and looked up to the grand duchess’s wise and gentle eyes. 

“Yes.” 

They followed Fulio back to his home and began preparation for an early departure.  

“Ladies, if you plan to set out towards the east I’m afraid it is going to be difficult without a horse or a wagon. Aside from monsters you should also be wary of thieves and possibly even drifters along the way. Although the drifters may seem docile and do not attack unless provoked it is still best to avoid them entirely.” 

The village chief gave them a copy of the map hoping it could help. Fulio’s only son is a good scout with an amazing memory and the one who made a modified map that everyone uses. Aside from the marked areas safe for passage, he also included those the dangerous ones needed to be avoided within the Plaguelands. 

“We cannot thank you enough for this.” Lady Tatiana said. “I, and my family, are indebted to you and the villagers. If there is a chance in the near future, I vow that the House of Havenstorm will do its utmost best to repay Lassa Village’s kindness.”   

“House Hellenberg also gives you assurance.” Dianne said with a solemn smile. 

“And so is House Rozenberg.” 

Fulio was overwhelmed with the sincere promise until he heard a familiar name. 

“Rozenberg…” he murmured. “Is milady related to a person named Thaddeus Rozenberg?” 

It was Ayan’s turn to be surprised. “Yes. He is my father-in-law.” 

“Ah, Milady!” Fulio hurried to plop down on one knee to salute when Ayan stopped him. “So it was milady. Forgive me for my impoliteness.”

“I assure you grandpa, there was none taken for it was us who decided to keep our identities hidden.”

“A good measure!” 

The old man then laughed, patting his knee as he told a short but meaningful story.

According to Fulio, Lord Thaddeus Rozenberg passed by the village four years ago. Noticing the people’s plight, he helped rectify the corrupt system of this western Plagueland and established the Order of Light along with the radicals. He stayed long gathering the scattered survivors from Kildare to create small settlements and Lassa is one of them. Originally, the people from Kildare scoffed at the lord’s bold idea but the plan unexpectedly came into fruition; the vagrants eventually found a permanent home which is much safer and quieter than their former. Lord Rozenberg knew how to choose places where monsters would never attack. When he kept such knowledge for the benefit of others, it was when Kildare’s original disdain escalated to jealousy. 

Lassa and its fellow villages’ success became a subject of contempt so when the lord continued his journey, the thugs from Kildare would often swing by to harass them. Fortunately, the Order of Light exists and they would never dare go over the line to commit heavier crimes. 

“I see. Did my father-in-law then leave for Port del Sol after?” Ayan said in excitement. 

“Yes, the lord did.” 

Last they heard of him was from Master Darius. He is currently traveling all over the Euros continent in search of the cure for Clayton’s Hellfire. 

As for her own father, the Earl of Elford… Ayan could only wait.  

What worrisome old folks! 

Thanks to this unexpected information, Ayan had less burden in her heart. She also had renewed enthusiasm towards the people of Lassa and felt more inclined to help. The decision was then shared to her companions and was quickly approved. 

“We have no objection.” Dianne said. 

Beatrice nodded, “Of course I’m the same.” 

They have seen the situation around the village and know they still have a way out if given a chance. Trade was sluggish and advancement was delayed. If this goes on the Plaguelands can only continue to deteriorate. Ayan doesn’t mind giving it a hard shove forward.

In exchange for their selflessness, she took out several seeds she brought from the 22nd century. All of which are suitable for planting in red soil such as cotton, beans, cereal grains like oats and millet. There is also potatoes, carrots, radish, cabbage, tomatoes, corn, fruits and sugarcane. All of these were especially raised by the fairies and their tenacity cannot be underestimated. 

In time, when the land is purified these crops will be their best hope to rise back. 

The village chief held several bags of seeds lovingly and the smile did not fade from his old face. The folks who returned from tilling the land received the good news and burst into tears. These are seeds of new crops! A gift heavier than gold. The crowd gathered looking at a hundred sacks placed on the ground. Those that are ready to be planted should be planted and the ones needed to germinate first have to be carefully nurtured. The folks cheered and rushed back to the empty fields to begin planting and it went on until the sky brightened. 

Back at the village, the ladies and the housewives gathered around a long table preparing for a lunch feast to celebrate the joyful event of receiving gifts. In fact, this was Ayan’s idea in order to introduce the crops and to give the villagers a sense of familiarity with the ones they are going to harvest in the future. The hunters went out earlier to hunt for game and brought home an adult deer and four fat fowls. All of which were immediately cleaned to be cooked. 

“Meat!”

“So much meat.” The children cheered. 

“Everyone, let’s not get close to the fire.” Beatrice called anxiously. 

Dianne who was watching under a large tree smiled and waved at them, “Look what I have here.” 

She opened her hands showing a bunch of colorful fruit drops. Ayan took out a big can of these sweets intending to give to the children.  

“Me too. I want one!” Beatrice groaned and competed with the children lining up to get the treats. 

The children looked at her with big eyes and laughed. This sister is just like them, she also likes candies! 

The noise under the tree did not disturb the adults. The ladies made their specialty spiced rub venison steak while Ayan cooked a portion of red wine braised venison roast in mashed potatoes and carrots. Vegetables were stir fried in pork fat making them crisp and sweet. 

Laughter rang in the village for the whole day until it was time for their visitors to say goodbye.    

Earlier, the carpenters repaired the rickety old cart for the ladies to use in their journey. A nag was then tied to the end with leather straps and was given the duty of pulling. The newly assembled wagon, though not as beautiful, will do its job. The villagers gave it for free as their means of saying thank you for the seeds given to them.

Ayan gently touched the nag’s head. To everyone, she may appear like an old useless horse but after eating the hay prepared by Green, she seems to have gained her youthful vitality. 

“Thank you.” Ayan smiled.  

“Everyone, it may be a brief encounter but it is undeniable that through your kindness my family owes you our lives.” Lady Tatiana said solemnly. “This old me sincerely bows my head in gratitude.” 

“Madam…” the folks gasped. 

The three younger ones behind her also smiled and bowed their heads. 

“This is not farewell.” Dianne said. “Perhaps someday we will meet again.”

Beatrice nodded, “We will never forget Lassa Village’s kindness to us.” 

“Big sisters,” Tet looked at them sadly. “We will miss you.”

Their stay was brief but he and the children had experienced the happiest period of their childhood when these ladies came. They played games they never played before and ate the most delicious snacks in the world. 

Ayan felt uncomfortable looking at the hopeful and smiling faces of the scrawny folks. She wished the disaster did not come in this land and suck out its life. If it can recover sooner, famine will be avoided and these children can grow up safely. 

“Soon Ayan,” Coco said, sensing her melancholy. “The spirits in-charge of this land did not give up hope.”

She forced a smile. She knew they did their best by just looking at the barely surviving crops. A land without spirits can never grow anything, not even a blade of grass. 

“How do we find them?” She asked.

“They will come to you.” Green said with certainty. 

The amount of holy mana overflowing from her body was enough to rouse them from slumber. A simple brush from her could restore lost vitality and cleanse any blight. The village Lassa is one great example. She may not have noticed it but her stay in this place has completely eradicated the miasma in the nearby area. The fairies who were in bad condition before are now cured and slowly went back to watch over the newly planted crops. 

And once the older spirits sense hope, they will come to her in droves. 

Ayan touched Tet’s head, “You’re a good child and you will grow up strong. Look after your brothers and sisters as well as the grandpas and aunts, alright? Soon, I will return and bring my children here. I am sure they will like you.”  

“Really?” Tet looked up. “Then, then I will look forward to meeting you again, big sister.”  

The wagon left the entrance of the village traversing the dirt path leading to the east. 

Everyone remained standing watching until only a small black dot could be seen. 

“Village chief!” A man from the field ran towards them panting. He was still holding his hoe when he rushed to the front yard. 

“Is there something wrong?” Grandpa Fulio asked anxiously. 

“Monster attack?!”

The man shook his head. He pointed in the direction of the farmland and beckoned everyone to follow him. The folks rushed to see what was wrong. Perhaps someone came to steal their newly planted crops?

But the scene before them was neither tragic nor frightening. 

It was a scene they would never forget for the rest of their lives. Out there in the vast tract of land is thousands of tiny light balls bouncing happily on the moist soil. 

“Ah!” The children exclaimed. “Those are tiny people!”   

“Tiny people?” the adults asked.

Grandpa Fulio dropped his cane and stared mouth agape at the brightly lit fields. 

 


4