72. On The Way Back
113 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

In the middle of the dry and dusty path, a wagon creaked carrying four women in brown robes. 

Beatrice was beside the driver seat and leisurely chewing on succulent green grapes. The plump fruit burst, filling her mouth with juice and refreshing sweetness. As she chewed, she would also spit the seeds on the side of the road in equal intervals.  

“I am anxious to return home but I worry the path may not be so safe.” She said absently to Diane who was holding the reins. 

“Ayan said there might be a faster way to return.” Diane replied. 

“The path appears endless, don’t you think?” Ayan asked casually.

They have been traveling for three hours and nothing new came about. The land is barren and silent making them nervous for some reason. The ladies remained vigilant and would sometimes turn to each other with puzzled expressions. Indeed it was too empty out here. 

According to the map, although the vegetation is lacking there are other noticeable landmarks such as stone spires and dry riverbeds. Their frowns deepened when they looked outside the wagon, towards the barren moorland which extended as far as the eye could see. 

Ayan sighed, beginning to understand the situation. However, she still did not take her gaze off the surroundings until half an hour later sparse trees began to appear, indicating they were nearing a forest or a woodland. 

“Is something the matter, child?” Lady Tatiana asked, noticing the changes in her mood. 

Ayan smiled reassuringly, “We must have fallen under some mischievous prank.” 

Lady Tatiana looked outside and quickly understood her meaning. 

“Oh, there! I can see people.” Ayan suddenly said. 

Not far from the path she saw a woman and a child walking. The older one does not appear to be in good condition.  

“I saw it too!” Beatrice jumped, cupping her hand to her eyes. “Ah, the lady fell!”

Diane was more rational, “A pair of mother and child in this kind of place? Be careful, it might be a trap.” 

Beatrice quickly sobered up. 

Yes, they have no idea what else is out there. Most bandits would use such dirty methods to lure in good natured people. Once they take the bait, they will attack.  

Ayan looked at the pair calmly, “It’s indeed strange to see them out here all of a sudden.” 

But the condition of the older one is quite serious. 

Beatrice caressed her bow nervously. They just left the village, are they going to engage into a fight so soon?

While in doubt they heard the child’s heartbroken cry as she called for her mother to wake up. Ayan signaled the ladies to stay in the wagon and disembarked herself much to her companions' horror. 

“Where do you think you are going?” Diane stopped her anxiously. 

“I will be cautious and this won’t be very long.” She assured them. 

Ayan cautiously walked to where the mother and daughter sat; after making sure no other presence was there, she moved with brisk steps in order to reach them as soon as possible and thus revealing herself. 

The child’s mother lay flat and while the child was sobbing so pitifully. Ayan’s eyes quickly went to the morbidly pale complexion of the lady and the pained expression twisting her face. The child who sensed her coming looked up in alarm and nervously hugged her mother’s body.

Ayan paused, “It’s alright, I came to help.” 

The little girl clung to her mother tighter and her pair of clear round eyes looked at Ayan with caution. 

Ayan knew she was abrupt so she tried to dispel the little girl’s vigilance first. She took a piece of chocolate from her pockets and gave it to the child. 

“Here, you must be hungry.” She offered gently. 

The little girl hesitated until Ayan unwrapped the foil and took a bite to prove she meant no harm. 

“F-For me?”

Ayan nodded.

A pair of dry and dirty hands reached out to take the chocolate. In a soft voice, Ayan asked if she could take a look at her mother’s condition. 

“Mamaaa…” the girl sniffed. “Mama… hurt…” 

“It’s alright, your mother will be fine.” 

Ayan touched the lady’s body and was startled by the unusual coldness. At this moment, Green came out from the ring with a puzzled expression. 

“Strange, she is very fatigued but aside from that I do not see anything life threatening.”

“Please check again. There could be wounds, anything.” Ayan looked at the crying little girl sympathetically.  

When she touched the fainted lady’s forehead once again, Ayan felt a warm current gushing out of her body. The strange sensation only lasted for a split second that she did not have time to dwell on it.

“Leave it to me, Ayan.” Green interrupted, stopping her from further exploring the lady’s condition.  

“Alright.” 

Green looked at the woman with a thoughtful frown as he hovered over her body. Alas, while they were kept busy, a low guttural growl came from the thicket not far from where they were.

“Not good, we have to leave.” Ayan was alarmed, she quickly carried the mother in her arms and pulled the child to escape. 

“Ayan, run!” 

Beatrice’s urgent call sounded. She held her bow steadily and released an arrow as soon as the monster leapt out from the bushes. 

“Fang beast.” Diane whispered. She unsheathed her rapier and rushed to help Beatrice cover Ayan’s escape. 

Ayan reached the wagon safely then hurriedly put the mother inside and carried the frightened child up.

“M-Milady…” the little girl was on the verge of tears. 

Ayan felt sorry and reminded her gently, “You must stay here and look after your mother. Do you understand?”

The little girl nodded obediently. 

She was anxious to return to her companions’ side as soon as possible. She drew her sword to come out and help the others with the monster. Fang beasts were usually only low level demons but because of their size many ladies of delicate constitution are afraid of them. She had fought quite a few of them in her father’s estate before as they always came down to the fields to attack the livestock. Another annoying thing about fang beasts is that they always come in groups of three or four. She worried that Beatrice and the others might get hurt.

However, the following scene greatly stunned her. 

It was Ayan’s first time knowing how the ladies of the empire differed from those pampered silly girls of her former kingdom when she saw three women ripping out the flesh of the monster without blinking an eye. 

Beatrice stood on top of a rock with a bow aimed at the struggling monster under Diane and the old lady’s offense. Just when she was so worried they would be overwhelmed, they evenly held their ground. 

Ayan dumbfounded: “???”

“What are you standing there for?” Lady Tatiana glared at the silly girl. “Will you give us ample time to defer your astonishment till this one is dead, dear? We lack a pair of hands as of the moment.”  

Ayan bit back a startled laughter and joined the fun. Under their combined efforts, the two meter tall striped sabertooth succumbed to its wounds. It crashed to the ground with a shaking thump before it went up into black smoke and disappeared. The threat was not over however as two more fang beasts awaited for the timing pounce. 

“Goodness, they are endless!” came Diane’s complaining voice. 

Beatrice already saw them and fired a shot. Diane promptly attacked the moment it was blinded by an arrow. Another bout of fighting commenced and the four ladies soon found themselves freed of the threat. 

“Do you always…” Ayan’s words hung on her lips.

Diane smiled as she flicked the dark blood off her rapier. “Did that come as a surprise? Tell me it did.” 

“Must confess I am indeed surprised.” 

Diane patted her back. “Fortunately, we are all well-equipped for this activity. Thanks to the royal hunt.” 

Ayan: Err, that’s not the point… 

So they actually come to the royal hunt with the intentions of an all out fight… not to hunt for birds and rabbits. I’m sorry for my silly assumptions!  

As if seeing through her entanglement, Lady Tatiana briefly explained. 

“As Asturia is perpetually plagued by monsters it became fashionable to study martial arts for quite some time. In today’s society, however, where the dangers are less than it was before, many have relinquished their skills for more worthwhile activities— goodness, how unkempt you are!” The old lady was distracted and wiped the bloodstain from her cheeks. 

“Such as singing and dancing.” Diane added with a chuckle but Ayan could perceive her contempt on the subject. 

“Ah, yes. Those things.” Beatrice replied with a dull expression. 

“And we must not forget embroidery and painting as well.” 

The light faded away from Beatrice’s eyes. It was obvious how she detest those mandatory socializing skills. 

“Quite so.” Lady Tatiana approved. “Although learning the art of defense was no longer practiced by most aristocratic houses who can afford to hire soldiers for their own safety, the tradition has not been lost to some families.” 

Oh, thank goodness she ended up with the right teammates! Ayan was delighted. 

It was then that she noticed the granduchess meticulously wiping the dirt off her face. Ayan was embarrassed to receive Her Ladyship’s kindness and attempted to hold the handkerchief. 

Lady Tatiana, however, gently swatted her hand in return. Left with no choice, she stiffly resigned to her fate and graciously received the endearing service shyly.

Walking back to the wagon, Ayan grew suspicious when they could not hear any noise inside. Concerned that the people she left were attacked by some unknown creature that went out of their notice, she hurried to investigate and was startled to find it empty. 

Gone.

The lady that she supposed to be lying ill was nowhere to be found and so was her child. What remained were pieces of clothing their visitors had worn.

“I left them here.”

Diane looked around holding the garment, searching for any clue as to what happened and while they were entangled for the mother and child’s disappearance they then heard soft giggles.

Yes, giggles.

Beatrice held her bow up once again. The rest are vigilant as well; they subconsciously stuck closer to form a protective circle. The already somber atmosphere was made even more so by the blowing of cold wind and the eerie swaying of dried grass. 

 

“Did you find her?” A small voice asked. 

“At last. Yes.” Answered by another smaller one.

The ladies searched for the source of these tiny voices and playful giggles but they could not see a shadow in sight.

“Where is she?”

“There, there. The one with red hair.” 

Ayan’s eyes narrowed. Looking for her?

“Oh, is that her?”  

There are more giggles. 

“Hurray! Hurray!” 

“Show yourselves.” Ayan called out. 

Right after she spoke, the dull dry grass burst into the color of verdant green then thousands of tiny light balls flew out, leaving the ladies in open mouthed awe. 

“Fireflies?” Beatrice asked, as she looked at the swarm confused. 

“Fireflies do not come out in daylight…” Dianed held out her hand to run through them. “If they did, they would not be glowing like this.”

The dead gray moorland burst into thousands of heathers and wildflowers.

Ayan’s earlier suspicion finally had an answer. They were caught in an illusion and were sent into a loop! 

“These are fairies.” Lady Tatiana said. “No wonder.”

A small ball stopped on her palm. It grew about the size of an apple before changing its appearance into a tiny girl with pointy ears and transparent wings. 

“So we have been traveling in vain all afternoon?” Diane did not know whether to laugh or cry. 

“It appears so.” Ayan sighed. 

“Fairies!” Beatrice’s surprised gasp echoed. 

The light particles flew up and gathered on Ayan like bees smelling honey. The swarm covered her hair, her arms and clothes. 

“Hey!”

Green, who was nearby, was displeased when these bunch of foreign fairies from who knows where clung to his master. He immediately made his presence known and dragged Yellow along to drive them away. 

“They like you. Ayan, you are glowing like a lamp!” Beatrice’s peals of laughter echoed. 

Diane looked at the light balls and could not resist poking them with her fingertips. 

“It’s warm.” She exclaimed. 

It was both joy and privilege seeing these mythical creatures out here. People in Asturia might not believe it when they tell them they met genuine fairies in the barren lands. The ladies were fascinated and failed to notice the naughty group making trouble. 

Coco sighed helplessly seeing his siblings frantically driving the little fairies like jealous children. 

“Green, Yellow enough of it. Do not scare them.” He chastised dragging the two back. “Look at yourselves. Compared to your ages, these little ones are still in their infancy. Do not begrudge them for coming close to Ayan.” 

Coco wanted to be a sensible elder but soon ate his words when the ones he deemed infants saw him as a new delicious target and began swarming him next. 

“Little rascals— don’t pull my hair! Ah! Stay away from me!” He promptly flapped his tiny wings hurrying to escape the onslaught. 

“Ayan~” Beatrice’s horrified exclamation called everyone’s attention as another presence appeared in the middle of the path. She rushed into Ayan’s side and clung into her arms. 

The ladies had no idea what frightened her. 

Beatrice pointed a shaky finger outside the wagon. 

“No, I… I’m sorry everyone.” Said by a woman in white clothes. “I mean you no harm.” 

She stood out there with an embarrassed and timid posture. 

Beatrice’s alarm did not ebb, if she had been any normal woman the screaming would be unnecessary but she had vines and flowers growing all over her head.

“I’m sorry if the children caused you any inconvenience, they are not malicious.” She looked so mortified when saying it that they almost felt sorry for her. 

The little light balls frantically chasing after Coco dispersed and flew to her side like obedient children. 

“Ah, you are—” Ayan recognized her at first sight as the fainted lady they picked. “I trust you feel much better now?” 

The bashful vine lady raised her eyes on her and bloomed into a bright smile. 

“Yes, I am. Thank you very much for your help, madam.” 

“These little ones… are they all yours?” Lady Tatiana asked.  

The vine lady’s eyes widened then she waved her hand frantically making the leaves and flowers on her head sway. Ayan realized the question embarrassed her. 

“N-No, not everyone.” The lady replied with a blush. “Some of them are children of my friends. I, I look after them for the time being…” 

“I see,” Ayan nodded, then gestured for everyone to let their weapons down.  

Both parties breathe a sigh of relief. 

Green snorted and looked at the vine lady displeased, “You pretended to faint to suck mana from Ayan, did you not?”

“Oh no, milord—” the vine lady’s startled eyes went to Green and stayed there. 

This is a noble Elurian fairy! At first she thought that the fae in front of her was only superior to her in age and magical power but what she did not expect was for him to be of noble Eluri bloodline! 

The vine lady’s heart trembled. How could there be such a high ranking one out here? Since the burning of the millennium tree none of their kind was seen then.  

Green looked at the fellow in front of him. 

“I, I, confess I benefited a little from it… but it was not my intention.” She corrected nervously then murmured, “I was truly spent.” 

Her voice turned smaller. Green felt guilty for speaking harshly, after all, this is a frail child. But what was said could not be taken back.  

Through a much clearer explanation, the party learned that the vine lady’s friends were temporarily asleep. They were caught inside the illusion because she did not want them to get near the forest. The reason why the mother and daughter showed up was to guide them out and bring them into the right path but who would have expected that Ayan was someone they were waiting for?

“Me?” Ayan pointed at herself. 

“Forgive me, milady. I accidentally consumed a little of holy mana from you.” The vine lady was even more embarrassed she could not lift her head. 

Ayan was taken aback and recalled that strange sensation back then. Oh, so that was it! 

“I don’t mind though.” She smiled. “It caused me no harm.” 

But the fairy was still mortified. It was true that it was an accident but she could not help but feel guilty because she was saved by stealing. 

“Since Ayan does not mind. You do not have to feel burdened by it.” Green spoke. 

If you leave a child starving for so long, it could never resist the lure of milk once she smelled it. The same for these fairies living in this barren land. Moreover, she has the responsibility of watching over the little ones. She needed to be strong. 

The ladies heard their dilemma and could only lament in their hearts. Mortals have little to no help for their plight, unless of course they possess a pure and special constitution like Ayan. As for when her companions will awoke, they assumed it would be when the land fully recovers its vitality. 

The vine lady knew that the fairies around Ayan were different but she never asked if they had any solutions for her friends’ illness. She simply thought nothing can be done. The fairies outside of the Plaguelands need not to be dragged by their burdens. 

She remembered the fate of her friends who succumbed to sleep after they exhausted their strength to save the rest of the forest’s vitality for the little ones. A sad smile came over her face. 

“If you could take us to the nearest arcane stone, we might be able to help you.” Coco said after a while. 

The vine lady’s head snapped up. Her eyes widened with hope. 

Arcane stone!  

“I, I can.”  

Coco passed the word to Ayan immediately explaining that they found a way home at last. The arcane stones he spoke of were old teleportation devices used by the ancient men to travel from one place to another. It was from the time when magical creatures thrive and live in harmony with humans. 

To her surprise, Coco also told her that the land where the village of Lassa now sits was where an arcane stone once sat, explaining the markings on the grounds. 

“Where are we going?” Diane asked as she took over the reins once again. 

“We need to follow her.” Ayan nodded towards the vine lady who joined their company. “She might be able to point us to the quickest path back to the empire.”

“Is this true?”

“Yes, my lady.” Ayan said to the grand duchess. “Good news Beatrice—”

Beatrice had her eyes on the vine lady’s head. The flowers on it looked so delicate and beautiful that her hand began to itch. When she was about to reach out her claws, Ayan called, catching her red handed. 

“I was just curious…” 

The ladies gave her strange looks. 

On that same day their party arrived into another woodland, which appeared to be a lot more eerie than the previous one.  Their wagon trudged through tall grasses and shrubs until they broke through a clearing. Nearly in the center of it was a hill. But as they approached it, the ladies could see it wasn’t a hill at all but a tall pile of rocks, leaning on to each other to form a cavern in the middle. Many of them are covered in vines and moss, making it appear like a huge mound of earth from afar. 

Ayan and the rest disembarked and walked towards the towering monument. About a cup of tea time, they reached the bottom where the opening of some sort is located. There was a wide circular platform at its center, made of polished stone that she was to learn that a rare mineral mined from the fairy’s former home. The rest of the space is occupied by flowers and scattered stones.

“Here we are,” the vine lady pointed at the platform. “This is the only arcane stone left in the land. It was taken under our care that is why it stood until today. If you could feed it with mana, you will be able to travel to your chosen destination. A pity it has been left for so long. It might need more than required.”

“My, how beautiful.” Lady Tatiana praised. 

The old lady doesn’t often get impressed having seen many things in the world. But here in this rubble where natural beauty existed, she took time to marvel at the sights. 

“I, also, have never seen anything quite like this.” Diane remarked, caressing the cool smooth texture of the polished stone. “Just look at the rune etchings. I wonder what could have carved it when the stone seems to be indestructible.” 

Beatrice sighed, “There is so little of what I know of the ancient civilization. But that does not stop me from appreciating it.” 

She could feel the faint pulse of power within its hard surface, leaving her amazed.  

Meanwhile, Green flew to Ayan’s side and asked for five bottles of lake water from the fairy ring. He also took one of his hair that promptly transformed into a seed and gave it to the vine lady as both payment and a token of his apology. 

“Take it.” He said, “Although I doubt there would still be a need since Ayan was here, keep them just in case.” 

Still trembling from emotion, she made no reply but she looked at Green with eyes welling in tears. Although Milord appears to be cold, he is genuinely good natured and— 

“You are such a fidgety child. It was a miracle you were able to persist all these years.”

Vine Lady: Nevermind. 

Ayan: I didn’t know Green had some tsundere tendencies. 

The vine lady looked at the seed tenderly before putting it away. This gift is too precious. Too precious indeed. Her eyes sparkled; with this, she might be able to wake the elder treant and the rest! 

Without further delay, Ayan’s party stepped onto the platform and waved at her. 

“Thank you for bringing us here!” 

“It is my pleasure to be able to assist you, noble one.” 

The address made Ayan smile but she did not think it meant anything else. 

“Safe journey.” 

After saying their farewells, the arcane stone lit up as the four ladies continuously fed it with mana and in a flash of a blinding light. They disappeared, leaving the stone cavern back to its former silence. 

5