Conversations just don’t work that way
1k 7 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You seem to be in a good mood", the old master noted sometime during dinner, watching the youth in front of him with a subtle expression of confusion.

Farin gave a confused blink in return. By no means would he ever admit to looking forward to going back into the mountain tomorrow. Not only would it be suspicious, but it would also be an unnatural behavior for him. He wasn't the type to get openly overjoyed about something. Even if he looked forward to the mountain before, it hadn't been enough to render him fidgety.
Forcefully calming the unrest in his body, Farin picked up a small piece of meat.

"That is true. I met my friends at home, so my mood is better than usual. It might not have come out before since I still had to finish the sacrifice."

A perfunctory answer. While true, it had nothing to do with his giddy mood.
As unusual as the feeling was, so unnatural was its cause.

The master gave a low hum, not completely believing Farin but seeing no reason to call for a lie. Instead, he turned his head to look out of the window, down the courtyard where people were still moving in lively chaos.

"There were some new children coming in yesterday, weren't there? How are they?", Farin asked, following his master's sight. Out of all the people in the temple, the carrier was the only one regularly in contact with the temple master.
Other people were tasked with daily tasks such as cooking or cleaning or were keeping the old scriptures in good shape, sometimes copying them anew.

The temple didn't need too many people and the heavily armored guards weren't the lively sort, so most of the year the temple would be rather serene. It was only when new children - usually orphans and nobles from other cities - were taken in to be taught in one of the tasks that the atmosphere changed.
Farin felt his mood lighten at the sight.

"Hmm, they came this morning. Two nobles and four orphans. As usual, it looks like it will take more time to teach the nobles not too be arrogant than teaching the orphans to read." The master sighed, shaking his head. It was a common thing.

"The orphans are happy to learn, they aren't stupid just because they don't have parents. In contrast, the rich children were taught that they are more important since birth." The concept felt weird to Farin. In the village before the temple, there were no castes. People were richer or poorer, but violent discrimination was rare. The temple had eradicated those thoughts over generations.

"One young man came along as well, the older cousin of one of the nobles. He's the one with the ink black, smooth hair. Farin, I would like for you to avoid him", the master suddenly said out of nowhere, his tone serious. Farin stopped his hand, glancing up to see him frown deeply.

"May I ask why?"

"He is interested in the Alvarr, very much so. Whatever they taught him in the capital, he seems to think himself half a God, as well... You are the only one who can enter the mountain. I believe he will approach you, try to convince you to bring out things from inside."

The warning wasn't said out loud, but it was clear enough. Farin's face mirrored the frown, straightening his back.

"I will never betray them. Don't worry, Master. I won't listen to his demands, even if he were to approach me."

"Good."

The master merely nodded as an answer, not continuing the topic. The meal finished in silence.

Patting his full stomach, the old man sighed in content, stroking his long, white beard. "The basket is prepared already, so there's nothing for you to worry about. Take a break to calm your mind for a while before going to sleep."

Farin gave his usual nod, before hesitating. The short moment was caught in the master's eyes. When it came to watching his people, the old man was very much like a worried mother.

"Is there something you want to talk about? Does your leg still hurt?"

"Oh no, it is only bruised. I was merely wondering if I could ask Master some questions..." Farin was uncertain, carefully beginning his sentence. From what he learned about the temple master's temper, there was no need to ever keep secrets from him. He wasn't prone to scolding and preferred teaching above anything else, always trying to understand the viewpoint of others.

That was what had made him the successor to the last temple master.

"Then speak, boy. Let me see if this old man can't help you with your troubles."

Straightening his back, Farin looked up at the tall, thin man with eyes filled with curiosity. Since he had gotten permission, there was no need to hold back.
"Master, you have never entered the mountain yourself, have you? What do you know about the cave?"

The master leaned back, closing his eyes. Gathering his thoughts, he gave his most honest answer.
"That is correct; the temple master never enters the mountain. All I know are things that carriers have told me or what is written in the scriptures."

The old storage inside the temple was one of its most precious possessions.
The paper or other materials that had been used for writing were often brittle, the writing bleached over time. Not everyone was allowed to just walk into the room containing all of the temple's books and scriptures, to ensure that only those careful enough would handle the sensitive materials.

Farin would likely be granted access sooner or later, but being a suitable carrier did not make one careful with books. The master would test Farin for quite some time before he allowed him to step inside, and even then only with company.
As such, the young man had no idea about the knowledge hidden inside the storage.

"What kind of things would that be, Master? I am curious. I cannot see inside the cave, but the temptation is strong."
"I imagine it is. From what I've heard and read, the cave must be like a hidden paradise. All the more reason why we shouldn't disturb it."

Inside the small room under the roof, a young man was half leaning on a table, intently watching his teacher in front of him.

"I know it isn't something that should be asked, but Master, you are avoiding talking about your knowledge, aren't you? Do you know anything about the Alvarr?"

Ripples went over the man's grey eyes as he frowned, softly reprimanding his student. "They are our Gods, Farin. You don't need to know any more than that. If this is what troubles you, then I fear it can't be helped."

Disappointed, the long-haired youth lowered his head. "I understand. I apologize."
To his surprise, the face of the man opposite to him lightened immediately, his voice sinking to a whisper. 

"Do not ask me too much about the cave and its inhabitants, Farin. All knowledge carries a certain danger to those who have it." He stopped for a moment to think, then continued. "I trust my instincts, and I believe you are an honest boy. You don't mean any harm with your questions. Still, keep them to yourself."

He stood up, walking over to the window as if giving a sign that their conversation was over.
When Farin stood up as well, intending to leave, he heard the man's voice once more. The whisper was so quiet, had the wind not carried it to him, he might not have heard it.

"But as long as no one notices, no one can stop you from finding out some things on your own."


The ringing of bells made Farin halt all his movements, hesitating. The basket was set down, no other beast had come running. This was the moment where he should leave.

If he hadn't heard the ring in the wind, he would have.

I really shouldn't, but...

Curiosity was what Farin believed was at the base of humanity's development. Almost everything was created by someone who simply asked: What if...
Now, it was that curiosity that was gnawing inside Farin's heart. Would he really be in danger if he took off the blindfold once more? Alas, this was his worst character trait.

It doesn't feel dangerous at all. If it is the same one as yesterday, then won't it be fine?

The thought was an excuse, ridiculous. There was no reasonable explanation to take such a risk.
While the logical part of his brain kept on repeating such phrases, his hand was already rising towards his eyes, carefully tugging the blindfold away.

Still as a painting, the figure was watching him with the same small fruit in hand as the day before.
Golden eyes shining, he was blinking at Farin.

Hmm. Really gorgeous, Farin thought, relaxing fully. The Alvarr looked anything other than hostile, prompting Farin's curiosity to rise once more. Carefully, he began to talk, keeping his tone courteous and gentle.

"Good day, Alvarr. Do you remember me from yesterday?" Whether the Gods took any interest in remembering a human's face, he didn't know. Actually, the other wouldn't even understand his question, but Farin felt a desire to ask anyway.

The God's tail curled in the same way it had done yesterday, then the man's hand moved to his chest. With singing sounds, he once more repeated the word, then tilted his head.

Farin felt a sense of delight at getting a reaction. It was hardly a conversation, but at least a reaction of some sort.

Nodding, he pointed at the other and repeated 'Alvarr' once more, before pointing at himself and saying 'Farin' with a soft smile.
Another tail curl.

The man stepped forward, approaching Farin until they were only a step apart. Fascinated, Farin took the moment to look at the God.

I didn't notice. He's the same height as I am, maybe even a centimeter or two smaller.

He was wearing something akin to a poncho over his shoulders, the cloth looking thin and soft, brownish color mixing well with the forest. Even the golden stitchings wouldn't stand out too much. Below it was a pair of pants, around his feet soft leather shoes with fur.

That's where the ringing is coming from, Farin noticed. Around the God's legs were strings with tiny bells attached, their use unknown. 
Farin's eyes twitched back up the golden ones of the God. Slit pupils, like a cat's, were staring at him. The man repeated Farin's name in his voice and Farin smiled.

Pointing at the fruits in Alvarr's hand, he continued trying to make a conversation. "Do you like those? Tasty?"

Alvarr held out the fruits to Farin, who hurriedly shook his head. "No, I didn't mean I wanted them..."

Thoughtfully, Farin studied the man's face. It was still, not showing too much emotion, making it incredibly hard to read.
Farin pursed his lips.
For all creatures, wasn't there some way of reading their mood? It couldn't be that Gods had no need to convey their emotions to their peers, right?

There were some movements that the God had done several times already. For once, considering that quite some time had passed, he didn't blink, which might mean it was a gesture on its own.
Then there was him tilting his head, the movements of his tail, and...

Farin glanced at the pair of fluffy ears sticking out slightly from the man's beautiful, mane-like hair. They sometimes twitched or turned to another direction, reminding Farin of an animal.
...He really wanted to touch them. They looked soft.

I don't need to think about it to know that suddenly reaching out for his ears would be a bad idea.

"Well, I can't expect to suddenly understand you. But it seems you tolerate me around?", Farin felt his lips curl up into a gentle smile. Maybe the man in front of him wasn't even one of the Gods, maybe just one of their servants. Maybe he truly was a God, and just allowed Farin the discourtesy for some mysterious reason.

The Alvarr made a small, high sound like a whistle and blinked in response. Whatever that response meant.

"I can't stay around for longer, Master will get suspicious", Farin muttered almost to himself before taking half a step back and bowed down to say goodbye. His long hair slipped over his shoulder with the movement, his hands were folded before his legs.

Stunned, Farin abruptly stopped the movement as Alvarr bend along with him, blinking again and his tail wrapping around his leg. For a second, neither of them moved. Then Farin straightened his back again and Alvarr mirrored the movement, his tail unwrapping and its tip moving over the ground in a slow circle.

Both people were blinking at each other, one side certainly very confused.

"No bows, then?", the human asked, attempting a bow and stopping it right away when Alvarr's body gave a tiny twitch. "Alright, it seems you don't like it. I won't do it then."

Farin gave a soft chuckle. Not having any common form of communication between them was making things complicated, he had no way but to guess. Seeing the other's tail movement turn from sliding over the ground to slightly lifted, moving around slowly like a cat's, Farin guessed that the other might feel more comfortable now.
Anyway, it looked more relaxed than standing completely still, like a painting in the middle of the landscape.

"Goodbye. I'll be coming back next week."
After thinking for a moment, Farin raised his hand for a slight wave and smiled, repeating 'Goodbye' once more. He then stepped back and turned around, walking away slowly.

I wonder if he'll be here again, the next time. In the meantime, I should find a good reason as to why I need to spend more time here. It might work even if it's not a completely perfect excuse, judging by that last thing Master said.

Thinking back to their conversation during breakfast, he was once again reminded of the person who wanted to use the Gods for his own advantage.

Farin's face darkened, his lips pursed as he entered the pitch black cave path. 
If all Gods are as kind as him, then that's, even more, a reason why I can't let that noble enter here.

Farin had always been a kind child. He didn't fight or cause trouble, he always made sure that his parents wouldn't be worried.
Instead, he would tell Eylir what to do so that the others would get into trouble all on their own.

Just because he was quiet, that didn't mean he wasn't good at scheming. If that noble thought he was an easy target just because a carrier needs to be serene and gentle, then he would be on the losing side before he even noticed.

Next to curiosity, tenacity was another character trait that was just as bad as it was good for Farin.

Welp, there goes the next chapter.
Farin isn't exactly black-bellied, he just likes repaying debts ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Alvarr isn't understanding at all. But since the human wants to communicate, he's interested enough to try.

48