Chapter 6- History and Harsh Lessons
428 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City

I studied the large building, it was everything I would expect of a library. Large columns carved into various visages of people lines the stairs leading into the City Library. It was a three-story building and I was getting a sense that Vampires were more than politics, they had a very real sense of remembering the past and preserving it for future generations. 

It was also one of the few buildings intact, not touched by the siege and assault, or those who pillaged the city. A large and noticeably older Vampire was present when I entered the building. He eyed me and from my shabby newbie attire, I could sense he wasn't impressed with me but didn't let it show. "Welcome, I am Octavius Night, the Loremaster of this establishment. How can I be of service my lord?" I frowned at his question.

"I am no lord sir, I just arrived in the city recently.' I told him earning a look of surprise from the older Vampire and a smile as the look of contempt left his face. 'I have a quest to see some significant places in the city. Your library was on the list and I can say, few match it." I told the other Vampire earning a smile. 

"Yes well before the war, this library was one of the largest depositories of knowledge in Arakon. It was only outstripped by the Dwarven Vaults of Knowledge and the great Elven library in Daran'thia. It is why the invaders went out of their way to preserve it despite their invasion.' Octavius replied as he looked around. 'Now as far as me calling you Lord, you are an Elder therefore it is an honorific because of your station. Those who do not know you, that is of a lower rank that does not address you as such, mean it as an insult. However, your Bloodline and Sire, determine your House and if you are part of the main branch or will create your own." the other Vampire educated me and I absorbed the knowledge the best I could. 

"How will I know where I fall into the politics of the House and how do I figure out what House I am in?" I asked the Librarian and he chuckled. 

"All in good time my boy, now what questions do you have about the library itself?" Octavius deflected and leaving me wondering what was going on. 

"How about Class Trainers within the city that survived the siege and are willing to take me on?" I asked him and the man grunted. 

"I know before the siege we had all sorts of trainers in various Classes. Who survived, I have no idea. With the ongoing efforts to repair the inner portions of the city and make it livable, it hasn't been a high priority to do a consensus.' Octavius replied with a grimace. 'I am sorry I cannot help you at this time, but I am certain that will be rectified within the next month or so. Now I hate to ask, but several tomes were borrowed by the city engineers to help with the reconstruction efforts, can you help track them down? I would much appreciate it." the Vampire asked as a notification appeared in front of me. 

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Lost Knowledge

Description: City Planners and Engineers borrowed Gears to Towers, Building Blocks of Buildings, and Unbroken and Unbreakable: The Hidden materials of Engineering from the Eternal Night City Library. Go to the City Administration building and recover the books and return them to Octavious.

Quest Class: Fetch; Common

Quest Difficulty: Easy

Success: Recover Gears to Towers, Building Blocks of Buildings, and Unbroken and Unbreakable: The Hidden materials of Engineering and return them to Octavius.

Failure: Do not recover the books or do not return them to the Eternal Night City Library

Rewards: 500 Experience, Increased Reputation with Octavius Night of House Nightshade

Accept? Yes or No 

<<<>>>

I hit yes and accepted the Quest, "Sure it won't be a problem. Is there any rush on this?" I asked him and the other Vampire waved my concern away.

"No, just get the books back here when you can. Thank you, if you have any questions or need help researching anything, please feel free to come back some other time." the other Vampire stated before going back to his reading. 

I turned to head out the entrance but stopped, "How long would it take to read about the founding of the Compact, what lead to it, and the founding of this city?" I asked over my shoulder and Octavius laughed.

"Years, but I assume you do not have that amount of time today?' he asked with a bemused smile on his face as he looked at me and I shook my head. 'I will send some books to Shadows Fall, I will start you off with the finding and founding of the city. Whenever you finish, return them and I will give you more books to barrow, ok?" the Loremaster asked and I gave him a slight nod before leaving. 

I had one last destination, the Parthenon, the center of religion for many people, and every city within Fate Online has one dedicated to all the gods and goddesses. It didn't matter if you were good, evil, light, or dark if you were a god or goddess you got an altar and room in a Parthenon. As I studied the in-game map, I located it near the Keep, so once I was done there I can easily get back to Shadows Fall. 

I brought up the Interface and panned over to the Wiki to search for anything related to Vampires as I started to walk. With the semi-transparent screen, I could walk and avoid most obstructions, but I would have to be somewhat careful because of the debris still being cleared from the streets. 

Spoiler

Race: Vampire 

Description: Vampires are creatures of darkness, beings that have an unknown origin after the Sundering. Some believe the gods created them, others believe they are the creation of a mad mage. One thing is certain, they are located almost everywhere on Ithea, on both the continent of Jingoon and Arakon. 

While younger Vampires are less powerful and can easily blend in with the living, the older the Vampires get the more powerful they become. However due to infighting and constant hunting of this species, few Vampires make it past the rank of Fledgling, but those that do are as ruthless as they are powerful. 

Ranks: Newborn, Fledgling, Ascendant, Elder or Master, and Ancient

Strengths: Vampires have a natural affinity for the Dark, so they excel at Dark Classes such as Dark Ranger, Shadow Assassin, Warlock, Necromancer, Dark Paladins, and Dark Templar.

Vulnerabilities: Due to their Undead nature, Vampires have a natural vulnerability to Light magic.

Cities: No known cities and those Vampires that come to rule Forts or Fortresses are usually hunted down and destroyed soon after.

[collapse]

I felt the knife at my neck and closed the screen immediately. "Well, well, what do we have here." I spotted two more people less than ten feet away. One had a club, the other a crossbow, based on their clothing they were not Rogues, as they stepped out of the shadows of nearby buildings. 

"Three dead idiots," I responded as I stomped on the instep of the knife-wielder, bones cracked and I heard a shriek of pain as I grabbed the arm and threw the person over my shoulder. As he landed, I could hear the air being driven from his lungs as I snapped his arm and caught the dropped knife before driving it into the wielder's eye ending one of them. I looked up and glared at the two others as I feel a slight wave of cool air around me as my Spirit Gauge dropped by almost half. 

"Where did he go?" the crossbowman asked as he fired towards me but I was already moving. A part of me is wondering why they can't see me, but I could see a notification waiting for my attention. I ignored it as I pull a throwing knife from my sleeve and hurtled it at the club wielder. While I might be only Level three now and have very few Skills, I still remembered all my old lessons. 

The knife managed to hit the man's neck low and easily sunk into his flesh as his Health Bar appeared above his head and dropped to the critical zone. The crossbowman dropped his weapon and ran. My second knife buried itself low in his back, tripping the man up and causing him to fall to the ground in pain. I quickly pulled my last throwing knife from my belt and strode over to the critically injured man.

He was clutching at his throat and trying to breathe, but blood was quickly filling his mouth and lungs. I ended his life without a second thought before yanking both knives from his body and cleaned them before striding over to the crying man. "You are not Thieves, why are you here?" I asked him as he continued to cry in pain. 

I raised my foot and slammed it into the back of his knee eliciting a scream of pain from the man and I heard the jingle of armor. "We are about to have company, so why don't you tell me what you want?" I asked him and he glared at me. 

"I was given a message, stay out of politics. That is all I know," he replied as a dozen of the City Guard arrived. 

"What is going on here my lord." I look up and they are addressing me. 

"These three ambushed me, I think they are would-be thieves. I killed those two quickly, but this one yet lives." I replied indicating the man lying there in agony. 

The pair of guards quickly grabbed the wounded man and hustled him off, "We will hand him over to the Inquisitors. They will find out who he is and what House he belongs to my lord. When we find out, who shall we notify?" the guard asked and based on the rank knot, he was the equivalent to a Corporal. 

"I am Jacob Longstrider, I am currently living in the Keep until I find my accommodations. Send word there if you would. As for these two, what will you do with their bodies?" I asked him as I gestured to the two dead men.

The man is studying me more closely now, "We will identify the bodies, give them to their families if they have any. Since we woke up, besides some hoarding we haven't had any real crime, do you have anything to add sir? Officially or otherwise?" the man asked as I felt someone arrive behind me and all the guards stiffened slightly. 

"I think that will be all Corporal.' Ezekiel commented as he walked up to my side and I rolled my eyes. 'If there is anything else, you can reach Lord Longstrider at the palace. I would also like a copy of any findings once you have completed your report. Is that understood?" the man asked the City Guard earning a stiff salute. 

"Thank you, Corporal?" I asked him and he smiled and relaxed somewhat.

"Jennings sir. Have a good day sir," he replied before he started barking orders to his remaining guardsmen as I walked off, annoyed Ezekiel had been following me. I have the notification awaiting my attention so I pull it up as I walk. 

<<<>>>

Racial Ability Unlocked: Shroud of Darkness
Racial Ability Type: Active
Description: You are a Vampire and survived long enough to become an Elder. You can shroud yourself in darkness to confuse your enemies and protect yourself and nearby allies. 
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Decrease the accuracy of enemies within the AoE, by 40%.
Effect 2: Decrease the accuracy of enemies outside the AoE, by 20%.
Restriction: Thralls and Loyal House members are Immune to effects, Physical Attacks or casting spells will negate effects.
AoE: 10 Feet
Range: Self
Duration: Until Cancelled
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: Initial 50 Spirit, 5 Spirit per Minute
Cooldown: N/A

<<<>>>

I read, and reread the Ability information. In open combat, it would be all but useless, but for setting up a surprise attack or avoiding an ambush it had potential. For Rogues, coupling it with the Stealth Skill at night time would significantly improve their chances to avoid detection. I dismissed the information and looked at my shadow. "Coming to the Parthenon with me?" I asked him and he smiled.

"Since you can't stay out of trouble, yes," Ezekiel replied and I grunted. 

"They were not thieves, I was targeted and told to stay out of politics. Whatever that means, got any guesses?" I asked the other Vampire making him frown but Ezekiel remained stubbornly silent. I snorted in amusement then felt and heard a slight rumble then a large cloud of dust bloomed ahead. I started running and I heard shouting and cursing behind me. 

14